[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Chiropractic Work  (Read 5026 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Chiropractic Work
« on: February 03, 2020, 10:18:05 PM »
Has anybody ever had any chiropractic work done? I just recently started seeing a chiropractor for the first time. No serious issues, just the standard tight neck and upper back from sitting at a desk all day. Wouldn’t have even gone to one had I not had a friend working in the field recently move back to Wisconsin.

Didn’t really look into what they’d do or anything about it. Kind of thought it’d just be short term relief, almost like a massage. I’ve been very happy with the results. Seems like it should be longer term relief and feel better than I would’ve guessed I would. Definitely glad I did it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Chiropractic Work
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 04:19:53 AM »
I started seeing one nearly 30 years ago after a car accident gave me some whiplash. Now I go every so often for the same reason you do. Absolutely love their work on my neck and back.

Put it this way...I started going to a chiropractor near Northridge Mall and used to do Christmas shopping there afterwards. That’s how long ago that was.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 05:07:32 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 04:30:38 AM »
My mom and grandmother both visit a chiropractor regularly for sciatica, regularly meaning once a month. My mom tried acupuncture first but she was going to her dr twice a week and she only felt better for a day or two after her visit. My personal belief is that sticking needles in someone won’t work as well as adjusting your spine back into place. I would recommend chiropractic treatment based on my mom and grandmother’s results.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 05:51:47 AM »
I have been using one for 28 years.  One of the reasons I am so well adjusted.   I go once every few weeks and the day after a good fire.  For me, an adjustment cuts my recovery time in half.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 06:01:13 AM »
I have been using one for 28 years.  One of the reasons I am so well adjusted.   I go once every few weeks and the day after a good fire.  For me, an adjustment cuts my recovery time in half.
What fires are good?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 06:05:38 AM »
Firefighters like fires.   But no, for the people involved, there are no good fires.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 06:53:58 AM »
Don't allow neck adjustments.

You don't need adjustments based on images. You need adjustments/treatment based on symptoms.

Edit: Also, be aware that just like any other profession there are good and bad chiros. They want to call themselves health professionals, which is fine in the event they know their own limitations. Chronic back pain adjustments with positive results is good. Acute pain adjustment with no improvement over several sessions and yet tells you you need 10 more is bad.

Lastly, I hope I don't have to remind anyone that babies/infants/children should not be getting adjustments.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 10:57:53 AM by jesmu84 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 07:46:43 AM »
Just finished 6 sessions with one plus two of acupuncture after taking a hard hit in hurling. Was absolutely shocked how much it helped.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 07:59:04 AM »

Shouldn't this be in the recruiting thread

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 10:08:07 AM »

You don't need adjustments based on images. You need adjustments/treatment based on symptoms.
I once let a chiropractic student I hooked up with in Vegas adjust my neck...was that wrong?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 10:33:29 AM »
Thats the high rent district. I dont let them
Go there

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 11:11:37 AM »
I have, I'm not sure it really helped that much with upper back issues. I've experienced more success/relief from acupuncture and cupping for upper and mid back.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 11:52:28 AM »

Edit: Also, be aware that just like any other profession there are good and bad chiros. They want to call themselves health professionals, which is fine in the event they know their own limitations. Chronic back pain adjustments with positive results is good. Acute pain adjustment with no improvement over several sessions and yet tells you you need 10 more is bad.

Lastly, I hope I don't have to remind anyone that babies/infants/children should not be getting adjustments.

Yes.  Yes.  And yes.

In other words, just keep in mind that chiro is temporary relief from an underlying condition.  There's nothing wrong with this, especially for conditions that have no cure (or the risk outweighs the benefit)... into which most back/hip issues fall.

Nevertheless, be skeptical of people who laud chiropractors because they went to a chiro once and their condition subsided completely.  Most of these folks tend to erroneously ascribe their improvement to the chiropractor (rather than the healing power of the human body) or they're simply lying to themselves about feeling better.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 12:19:14 PM »
ZFB's chiro (62 yo guy) has him strip down before going to work, which I've always thought was odd.

I wouldn't let a chiro touch my neck because I have a cadaver bone, titanium plate, and screws in my spine... can be DANGEROUS!

Anything more than a rug n tug and I'd recommend talking to some neurosurgeon's first to get their views on chiros
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 12:29:55 PM »
I'm a proponent. I've used one and had success with it. I think utilizing a chiropractor who knows what they're doing is a benefit to a person's overall health. All nerves run from the brain through the spinal column to the rest of the body, so any disturbance in the spine can impede nerve function and the corresponding organs/tissues further "down stream." Fixing imbalances is not an instant cure, but it can free the body allow better connections and allow it to heal itself. Over time, you can exist more the way your body was intended, efficient and pain-free. Effective treatment can help people not only with back pain, but stress/sleep problems, digestion, migraines, etc. 

Like jes said, there are good ones and bad ones. I think a lot of people have a negative image of chiropractors because they think a visit to one will completely and instantly erase some pain they've had daily for years. If your back has hurt for five years, you simply cannot "fix" that in an afternoon. Any chiro who promises this isn't worth the paper their diploma is printed on. Make them explain what they want to do and why before assenting to any treatment. Get x-rays. If you're uncomfortable with any treatment or adjustment, say no. Ask around. Do your homework, and I bet you can find a good one.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 12:33:55 PM »
I go to someone I've seen for 20 years.  Nuff said.

There are some really bad ones though too, just like MD's. 

Good Chiro's have really good nutritional education...better than MD's.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 12:36:47 PM »
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/how-chiropractic-started-as-a-ghost-48498573/

Fun story. The dude who invented it was a grifter from Canada who claimed to cure deafness in a janitor by poking him in the neck and to have come upon the miraculous secrets of chiropractic medicine by attending seances and contacting the spirit of a dead doctor.

Also tried to get Chiropracty labeled a religion to avoid paying taxes.

Tax evasion I can support, but the rest...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 12:51:31 PM »
ZFB's chiro (62 yo guy) has him strip down before going to work, which I've always thought was odd.

I wouldn't let a chiro touch my neck because I have a cadaver bone, titanium plate, and screws in my spine... can be DANGEROUS!

Anything more than a rug n tug and I'd recommend talking to some neurosurgeon's first to get their views on chiros

Mine's actually a somewhat busty 35 year old.

Different chiros do different things.  My prior one had this back stretching table that gave relief to compressed discs.  Awesome, but he was kindo of a wierdo, so i stopped going.

My new one, she does testing and can show the under/over active nerves,  the stress points, etc.

Key is that it is an ongoing treatment, once a week, get adjusted and feel good for a few days.   Some people dont like the maintenance part, to each their own.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 01:44:15 PM »
I have also used acupuncture.   I use that more for tendonitis away from my spine.  Elbows, shoulders.  I used it once at the suggestion of my chiropractor for a sciatica issue that just wouldn't release.

I do the maintenance.  Still able to fight fire, coach multiple sports, walk 18 holes carrying a bag in under 3 hours, well into my 50s.   I don't give chiropractic full credit, bit it certainly has helped.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2020, 01:48:48 PM »
I have also used acupuncture.   I use that more for tendonitis away from my spine.  Elbows, shoulders.  I used it once at the suggestion of my chiropractor for a sciatica issue that just wouldn't release.

I do the maintenance.  Still able to fight fire, coach multiple sports, walk 18 holes carrying a bag in under 3 hours, well into my 50s.   I don't give chiropractic full credit, bit it certainly has helped.

A coworker had a disc slip into his spinal column (at least mine slipped out) and acupuncture was the only thing that helped him. I used to get awful trap pain that would cause headaches and acupuncture helped that. It's not a permanent solution but that and cupping have been great for maintenance and pain management, especially as I train for a half marathon.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 02:20:50 PM »
I go to someone I've seen for 20 years.  Nuff said.

There are some really bad ones though too, just like MD's. 

Good Chiro's have really good nutritional education...better than MD's.

Fun Fact #1: Ask an MD how much of their med school training was devoted to nutrition.  Just about every single one will tell you "None."

Fun Fact #2: Ask the same questions of a DO, and the majority will respond with at least "some" to both. 

[American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) members average 15 hours of nutrition training (even though AACOM recommends 25 hours).]

Fun Fact #3: Aside from the philosophical approach, DO and MD education is strikingly similar with one exception: DO's receive training in Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment, which is a much more sophisticated version of the chiropractic method.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 03:21:46 PM »
Be wary especially of chiros (but sometimes DOs who do manual manipulation) who claim that spinal adjustments and manipulation of nerves can cure/alleviate nearly every condition of the body including diseases like diabetes

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2020, 03:29:34 PM »

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 03:34:37 PM »
Be wary especially of chiros (but sometimes DOs who do manual manipulation) who claim that spinal adjustments and manipulation of nerves can cure/alleviate nearly every condition of the body including diseases like diabetes

There is a chiropractor with kids at my kids school.   They don't vaccinate because chiropractic.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 03:45:16 PM »
There is a chiropractor with kids at my kids school.   They don't vaccinate because chiropractic.

Those kids shouldn't be allowed in school. Not vaccinating puts an entire population at risk.

Death on call