'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The double-edged sword of playing in Fiserv......  (Read 10838 times)

Osiris

• Starter
Re: The double-edged sword of playing in Fiserv......
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2020, 03:35:02 PM »
Here is my idea:  MU should buy the old Mecca floor, lease out the fun deck on the Viking Cruise ship in port for the winter, ring the floor with only the students in the balcony rooms and continue to charge them $8 per game even though, if they show up, they boo our coach and players. Oh, and we can seat the old carbed out sweater vesties below cabin but continue charge them $260 per person per game.  MU will regain its home court advantage because opponents will be playing in Arctic conditions.

All aboard!

You might be on to something here.  Better yet, you take it out of port that way you can have open betting during the game.  I’ve often complained that MU games have been missing that Mexican cock fight feel.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2020, 03:41:52 PM »
If only MU could go back to the Bradley Center (still hate that place, worst arena ever)
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2020, 03:49:53 PM »
However it seems to me that the experience in playing against Marquette in Fiserv with NBA references all over the locker room and the arena's rafters gets the other team juiced up even more.  Many of the players on the teams we play, including within the conference, weren't as highly recruited as most of Marquette's players as we typically sign top 100 recruits.  Playing against Marquette in such a venue, with so many people in the seats, creates a proverbial "field of dreams" for the teams we play.  It also manifests any hidden chips on opposing team's shoulders who want to show up the home team who didn't recruit them and steal their thunder. 

Having said the above I don't think it's a coincidence that we lost to St. John's, Creighton and Georgetown last year at home and were all teams we were favored to beat at the time.  I specifically remember watching the Georgetown players last year leave the floor like they just won their Super Bowl.  So far this year we lost to Providence at home and possibly got DePaul's best game of the season as well. 

I think your stretching a LOT here.  Fiserv is not some hallowed arena kids dream about playing in more than any others.  Phog, Cameron, Pauley, Rupp, the Dean Dome, Assembly Hall (IU), the Carrier Dome, MSG and newer classics like Breslin are arenas kids dream about playing at and get jacked up to play in. Fiserv, just another road game.  Creighton isn't going to consider it any more special considering they sell out their 17K seat arena every night and St. John's plays at MSG.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2020, 03:53:31 PM »
I think your stretching a LOT here.  Fiserv is not some hallowed arena kids dream about playing in more than any others.  Phog, Cameron, Pauley, Rupp, the Dean Dome, Assembly Hall (IU), the Carrier Dome, MSG and newer classics like Breslin are arenas kids dream about playing at and get jacked up to play in. Fiserv, just another road game.  Creighton isn't going to consider it any more special considering they sell out their 17K seat arena every night and St. John's plays at MSG.

Coach: (in the huddle) man u guys are playing really hard today!!

Player 1: its the aura coach
Player 2: did u not see the banners?
Player 3: the fin light show bro!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2020, 04:42:13 PM »
Anyone know who the most effective person/office to contact about this would be?   This has been an issue time and time again and I'd definitely like to make my voice heard. 

This.

Move Dick or Dave or even the kid out of the Drink Wisconsibly stand down stairs to the craft section upstairs. One of those guys can handle the volume and kill it.

PTM comes with solutions to your problems.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2020, 06:52:14 PM »
This.

Move Dick or Dave or even the kid out of the Drink Wisconsibly stand down stairs to the craft section upstairs. One of those guys can handle the volume and kill it.

PTM comes with solutions to your problems.

That comes with a seat donation.

source?

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2020, 08:11:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure that would be called a knife

In the modern world you're talking a machete

For a literal sword, Germans who couldn't afford a forged double-edged sword often carried a "bauernwehr" (peasant weapon) or Lange Messer (long knife)

I am uncertain if France/England/Spain etc. had similar weapons as I haven't studied their medieval history as much but I would assume so.

Hopefully this thread has now been successfully derailed in the grand tradition of scoop.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2020, 08:18:17 PM »
In the modern world you're talking a machete

For a literal sword, Germans who couldn't afford a forged double-edged sword often carried a "bauernwehr" (peasant weapon) or Lange Messer (long knife)

I am uncertain if France/England/Spain etc. had similar weapons as I haven't studied their medieval history as much but I would assume so.

Hopefully this thread has now been successfully derailed in the grand tradition of scoop.

So asked and answered—peasants.  Good job OP.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2020, 08:57:18 PM »
Nice use of fonts to express your views in what might be the dumbest post of the week (would say longer but there have been some crazy ones this year).

I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS...

MARQUETTE SHOULD BE PLAYING AT US CELLULAR OR PANTHER ARENA AND MOVE UWM BACK ON CAMPUS.

I said this when they were at the Bradley Center. Arena's like Fiserv can be too big for college basketball. MU should not be in an NBA arena. Its nice and all but too verbose for college kids. Make them earn it.

To me a typical college basketball crowd should only be what they have at Duke or Kansas about 11,000 or no more than 13,000 students.

It's not so much the number of fans there as much as it is the college aged students energy and atmosphere. Not filled with alumni afraid to stand up and get into it!

The first 20 rows all around the lower bowl should go to STUDENTS ONLY SECTION, and the one side only for the band.

Older or alumni must sit rows 20 and up...TV camera angles should only get the lower bowl in view. 

They should go back to the Milwaukee Arena...more of a pit and more of a home court advantage there than Fiserv.

It keeps them humble and hard working...and great seats for everyone! Not to mention the nostalgic element that appeals to me with it.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2020, 06:46:31 PM »
Once again the most insightful and knowledgeable poster on the board is proven right once again. 

Today we got Seton Hall's best game of the season as big Fiserv games consistently produce this from our opponents.  Why because kids grow up with posters of NBA players on their walls and dream of playing in the NBA someday.  The poster who said playing at Michigan State or the other mentioned college arenas was a bigger setting than playing at a sold out Fiserv is laughably wrong. 

When you take a team full of tough, gritty inner-city kids like Seton Hall and put them in this glamorous "Park Avenue" setting they're going to come out guns blazing as they want to take what you have. 

At the same time when you have a soft program, with a soft coach who are used to living on "Park Avenue" with regular crowds of 15,000 plus, catered meals on charted flights, personal chefs at the Al cooking their meals, etc.... then you're going to have a lot of uninspired performances as our players are spoiled and not hungry.

Fiserv is great for recruiting.  However unless we have a tough, taskmaster, disciplinarian like Buzz who kept players hungry and on their toes then we might as well just pencil in five home losses a year as the new norm. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2020, 06:55:50 PM »
Once again the most insightful and knowledgeable poster on the board is proven right once again. 

Today we got Seton Hall's best game of the season as big Fiserv games consistently produce this from our opponents.  Why because kids grow up with posters of NBA players on their walls and dream of playing in the NBA someday.  The poster who said playing at Michigan State or the other mentioned college arenas was a bigger setting than playing at a sold out Fiserv is laughably wrong. 

When you take a team full of tough, gritty inner-city kids like Seton Hall and put them in this glamorous "Park Avenue" setting they're going to come out guns blazing as they want to take what you have. 

At the same time when you have a soft program, with a soft coach who are used to living on "Park Avenue" with regular crowds of 15,000 plus, catered meals on charted flights, personal chefs at the Al cooking their meals, etc.... then you're going to have a lot of uninspired performances as our players are spoiled and not hungry.

Fiserv is great for recruiting.  However unless we have a tough, taskmaster, disciplinarian like Buzz who kept players hungry and on their toes then we might as well just pencil in five home losses a year as the new norm.

You realize Seton Hall is less of an urban school than Marquette and they also play in a huge professional arena?

But the rest of that post is just as moronic and borderline racist so it’s probably not worth getting into. But given your username, it’s a pretty low effort troll, so nice work you absolute clown

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2020, 06:58:22 PM »
So..
The lesser the quality of the arena= higher chance to win

The greater the quality of the arena=Lower chance to win

Genius logic.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2020, 07:01:01 PM »
You realize Seton Hall is less of an urban school than Marquette and they also play in a huge professional arena?

But the rest of that post is just as moronic and borderline racist so it’s probably not worth getting into. But given your username, it’s a pretty low effort troll, so nice work you absolute clown
Hurry run to your safe space and project some more!  :'(

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2020, 07:15:26 PM »
Hurry run to your safe space and project some more!  :'(

Seton Hall’s starting 5 features a European who went to prep school, a PG who went to prep school, a center from suburban Jamaica,  and a dude from Delaware. Powell is the only
starter you can say is from a gritty area, and not “inner city”. Their 6th man is from Long Island.

Where are all the gritty inner city stars you’re talking about? That play for a rough and tumble school in a home gym with no fans and probably have to eat McDonalds after games and bus back from Milwaukee?

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2020, 07:56:41 PM »
Seton Hall’s starting 5 features a European who went to prep school, a PG who went to prep school, a center from suburban Jamaica,  and a dude from Delaware. Powell is the only
starter you can say is from a gritty area, and not “inner city”. Their 6th man is from Long Island.

Where are all the gritty inner city stars you’re talking about? That play for a rough and tumble school in a home gym with no fans and probably have to eat McDonalds after games and bus back from Milwaukee?
OMG he said "Dude" that's racist to white people!  I can't believe you compared someone to Ashton Kutcher or Seann William Scott!  Whaa whaa whaa :'( :'( :'(

Someone tried to steal my thunder on a joke last night by telling it first.  So a snowflake took to mean they literally were stealing from me! Whaa whaa whaa  :'( :'( :'(

Hmmmm kids who go to prep schools three states away really represents where they grew up? 

Rent Rocky III tonight and become enlightened on what it means to become sophisticated and lose your hunger while someone like Clubber Lang is sweating blood in a dirty old gym literally fighting his way to a better life.   

Or watch the making of Platoon where Oliver Stone made the actors go through basic training and live in the jungle for over a month to make them look, think and feel like a real Platoon fighting in Vietnam. 

Marquette used to be a gritty, tough minded team under Buzz.  Guys like Jimmy Butler and Jae Crowder came here with no Burger Boy accolades and worked their way to NBA stardom.  Now we look and play like a spoiled, soft and entitled team that has less fire than a Alpha Beta fraternity team. 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:58:48 PM by duanewade »

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2020, 08:46:35 PM »

Folks, let's make factual statements instead of emotive ones after frustrating losses.  Marquette has played 35 times at Fiserv Forum and sports a record of 29-6 in those outings.  The six losses are by a combined 27 points, or 4.5/game.  Two of the defeats have come by a single point and another by a deuce.  I cannot believe people would complain about playing in one of the nicest arenas in the country.  This years squad is not as talented as the top three teams in the conference and that has much more to do with losing a few home games than Marquette's lack of a home court advantage.  As Jim Calhoun once exclaimed, "Get some facts and come back and see me!"
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 08:50:41 PM by bradforster »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2020, 08:56:09 PM »
Clubber Lang. Holy crap. Clubber Lang.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2020, 09:02:46 PM »
Folks, let's make factual statements instead of emotive ones after frustrating losses.  Marquette has played 35 times at Fiserv Forum and sports a record of 29-6 in those outings.  The six losses are by a combined 27 points, or 4.5/game.  Two of the defeats have come by a single point and another by a deuce.  I cannot believe people would complain about playing in one of the nicest arenas in the country.  This years squad is not as talented as the top three teams in the conference and that has much more to do with losing a few home games than Marquette's lack of a home court advantage.  As Jim Calhoun once exclaimed, "Get some facts and come back and see me!"
Great point. A non conference schedule loaded with so many annual cupcakes/buy games has no impact on such a high winning percentage and is an apples to apples comparison to my point.

Jim Calhoun wants his quote back.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 29, 2020, 09:08:14 PM »
"Fiserv is great for recruiting.  However unless we have a tough, taskmaster, disciplinarian like Buzz who kept players hungry and on their toes then we might as well just pencil in five home losses a year as the new norm."

I am still not able to calculate five home losses/season over the first two years in the new building.  Please help me with my math since you seem to be such a perspicacious Marquette follower.