[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Super Bowl LIV  (Read 5209 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Super Bowl LIV
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 09:22:31 AM »
One call I don't understand, and it may not have affected the game (and full disclosure, I wanted KC to win), but if the play clock is a 0, and the ball has not been hiked, shouldn't it be a delay of game? Not," well it's at 0 and by the time I walk up closer to the line, and then they snap it, I don't really want to bother anyone, so I will not call it"

There is a lag. I believe the ref looks from the clock to the field and if it is not snapped, they through the flag. That play was definitely a longer gap than usual.

Much like trying on a guy 20 yards a way to put his foot down where he thinks the ball ended up, I think this is an area the NFL can use technology to improve.

jesmu84

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2020, 09:28:37 AM »
The sideline hit was fine.  There were a couple hits on both JG and PM that were questionable, but in the playoffs refs are going to let go.  I thought it was a well refereed game by two teams that played smart, disciplined football.

Given how poor officiating has been this season, I agree with you. They obviously had a good crew, as they should for the marquee game.

I was surprised after halftime when they said that Shanahan was upset with that call. Not only was it obvious interference, but it was really effective interference. I'm not sure they get the completion on that play if he didn't create just enough space with the push off.

It was obvious, and I agree that he probably would not have been open without the shove.

One call I don't understand, and it may not have affected the game (and full disclosure, I wanted KC to win), but if the play clock is a 0, and the ball has not been hiked, shouldn't it be a delay of game? Not," well it's at 0 and by the time I walk up closer to the line, and then they snap it, I don't really want to bother anyone, so I will not call it"

Theoretically, as it has been explained by the ex-refs who work for the networks, the clock hitting 0 is not an automatic delay of game penalty. The official can't see both the 0 and the snap at the exact same instant, so he gives the offense a extra split-second to get the snap off.

However, it appeared a solid second, maybe even more, had passed before the snap, and it sure seemed like a delay of game should have been called.

I happen to think this actually hurt SF. It appeared they froze for a split second, seemed to almost expect the delay to be called, their blocking scheme was all messed up, and KC ended up engulfing Garoppolo before he had a chance.

Had the opposite occurred - had Garoppolo been able to get the first down there and had SF gone on to win - it would have been one of the huge talking points afterward.

I was shouting at Shanahan to call time-out there. They had all 3 left, and they needed to convert that 4th down. Instead, they seemed out of kilter, should have been called for delay, and ended up with a tragic result.

I understand coaches want to save their time-outs to stop the clock if they don't convert ... but in a situation like that, you need to get in position to make the best play possible, and too few coaches call time-out IMHO.

Shanahan misused his time-outs at the end of both halves.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2020, 09:32:43 AM »
Brad Galli had my favorite tweet of the game:

https://twitter.com/BradGalli/status/1224139949433335808
Have some patience, FFS.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2020, 09:34:50 AM »

Theoretically, as it has been explained by the ex-refs who work for the networks, the clock hitting 0 is not an automatic delay of game penalty. The official can't see both the 0 and the snap at the exact same instant, so he gives the offense a extra split-second to get the snap off.

You would think a simple buzzer in the referees' ear would do the trick

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2020, 09:51:00 AM »
There is a lag. I believe the ref looks from the clock to the field and if it is not snapped, they through the flag. That play was definitely a longer gap than usual.

Yep - the back judge pretty much wussed out on this one.  He was all over the clock, he just had a weird delay in blowing the whistle (Aikman mentioned it as moving forward first? Aikman kind of had a rough night last night, I thought).  The ref clearly was moving to blow the whistle, got the yips for some reason, and then didn't want to interrupt the play.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2020, 10:33:36 AM »
Reese's was good too.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2020, 10:37:42 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2020, 11:27:21 AM »
Judging by all of the "controversy" being manufactured by the media, this was probably the most balanced officiating we've seen in a Super Bowl in decades.

1. Honestly... unless you're a complete moron, there's no way to reasonably argue that Williams' TD should have been overturned.  That's not to say that the official made the correct call at the goal line, but show me any person who says they can make that call correctly 10 of 10 times, and I'll show you someone who clearly suffers from CTE.

Moreover, a lot of the click-mongers seem to be forgetting that play was only 3rd down... even had it been overturned, it would be 4th & inches, meaning - and I'm estimating here - there's a 99.9999988854854395783945% that SF is not going into victory formation on the ensuing play.

2. Delay of game.  Holy Aquaman.  Seriously?  The team that's trailing late in the game doesn't have a delay of game called against them, and yet the presumption is that they would have been better off had the penalty be called?  I'm not saying it's possible they could have converted had the penalty been called, but if you're going to argue for something as far fetched as that, you better have a solid case.  But would that even make a difference?  Because now you also have to presume that KC would have declined the penalty... because if it's that freakin' obvious to the entire universe that SF would benefit from a penalty being called against the, why the hell wouldn't KC decline it?

3. Pass Interferences.  Ugh.  Aside from whether we even know what pass interference is any, if SF entered the half with an extra FG, does it assuredly change who wins the game?  Answer that, and you have your answer to all of these "questionable" calls.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2020, 11:33:17 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2020, 01:12:21 PM »
I pose this question as someone who is a Mahomes fan, and also who recognizes that he led an exceptional comeback in the game last night:  how bad would Mahomes have had to play to not win the MVP?  I'm not saying that he didn't deserve it, and I can't honestly think of anyone who deserves it more than he did. I just think with all the pre-game hype, he was a virtual lock to win unless he really, really screwed up (or unless somebody else did something absolutely spectacular). I suppose you could say this about the winning QB many years, but he seemed even more of a lock than usual.

I want to say again, I really like the kid; he's the most exciting player to watch in a long time. This is much more comment on the NFL star-making/hype machine than it is about Mahomes.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2020, 01:18:58 PM »
I pose this question as someone who is a Mahomes fan, and also who recognizes that he led an exceptional comeback in the game last night:  how bad would Mahomes have had to play to not win the MVP?  I'm not saying that he didn't deserve it, and I can't honestly think of anyone who deserves it more than he did. I just think with all the pre-game hype, he was a virtual lock to win unless he really, really screwed up (or unless somebody else did something absolutely spectacular). I suppose you could say this about the winning QB many years, but he seemed even more of a lock than usual.

I want to say again, I really like the kid; he's the most exciting player to watch in a long time. This is much more comment on the NFL star-making/hype machine than it is about Mahomes.

If KC lost, he wouldn't have won it.  But they won...so he did.  The quarterback is the default unless someone else does something amazing.  If Garrapolo would have hit that pass to Sanders at the end of the game, and the Niners won as a result, he would have been the MVP most likely.

They've only given the award to someone from the losing team once.  And I doubt they ever willl again.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2020, 01:38:28 PM »

If KC lost, he wouldn't have won it.  But they won...so he did.  The quarterback is the default unless someone else does something amazing.  If Garrapolo would have hit that pass to Sanders at the end of the game, and the Niners won as a result, he would have been the MVP most likely.

They've only given the award to someone from the losing team once.  And I doubt they ever willl again.

I mean, Williams had 100+ yards rushing and 30 yards receiving and a TD doing both, including the game winning score as well as the game sealing TD and he was a foot away from the TD in the first that Mahomes ran in 2 plays later.  He also had multiple 3rd down conversions on the ground.  He was versatile and excellent all game

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »

If KC lost, he wouldn't have won it.

Actually, I meant to build that into the question.  "Assuming a KC win, how bad..."  That is the question I intended to ask.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2020, 01:48:30 PM »
I mean, Williams had 100+ yards rushing and 30 yards receiving and a TD doing both, including the game winning score as well as the game sealing TD and he was a foot away from the TD in the first that Mahomes ran in 2 plays later.  He also had multiple 3rd down conversions on the ground.  He was versatile and excellent all game

I am certainly not saying it SHOULD go to the quarterback, but a running back hasn't won the award in 22 years. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2020, 02:07:10 PM »

I think it belonged to Williams, but Mahomes played big boy football when it mattered most.

If the game had ended 20-10, I thought Deebo passed the eye test. Stats ended up being modest, but he was doing all of the little things. Kyle Juszczyk was inches away from 2 TDs, so we could have had a FB MVP too! 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2020, 02:14:57 PM »

I am certainly not saying it SHOULD go to the quarterback, but a running back hasn't won the award in 22 years.

Nearly as long as it's been since a kick returner won the award.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2020, 07:26:45 PM »
46-0.

That's what Shanahan has been outscored in the 4th quarter of his 2 Super Bowls.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2020, 07:36:12 PM »
46-0.

That's what Shanahan has been outscored in the 4th quarter of his 2 Super Bowls.
No.t really fair , since he was not the D coordinator for Atlanta

One of the stations did a play by play commentary of his play calling in the 4th, and there were truly only two questionable decisions. One was a 2nd and 5 where they could/should have run. I forget the other. The other plays were "good" calls, just not executed.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2020, 07:42:22 PM »

One of the stations did a play by play commentary of his play calling in the 4th, and there were truly only two questionable decisions. One was a 2nd and 5 where they could/should have run. I forget the other. The other plays were "good" calls, just not executed.

Agreed. Other than his bumble at the end of the first half, I don’t remember thinking he completely collapsed in the 4th. KC just executed and Jimmy and Co didnt

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2020, 09:39:57 PM »
It might not be fair ... but he's a coach, and that's why he gets the big bucks.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2020, 10:45:18 PM »

The vibes inside the stadium much different.  In Houston we couldn’t believe what the Falcons were doing.  It was in the air, murmuring in the crowd.  The penalty, sacks given up, it was truly unbelievable.  Falcons lost that game mostly.

Yesterday was different.  49er fans, some were pissed at the half, but not overly so.  They knew they got the ball to start the half.  The play of the game was the 3rd and 15 completion late in the 3rd quarter...big Mo swung.  There was another where Bosa had Pat’s leg but he broke it and converted a huge 3rd down.  Chiefs won this game mostly.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback