[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Is Markus Howard clutch?  (Read 2299 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
[Paint Touches] Is Markus Howard clutch?
« on: January 29, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »
I dug through a few years of Synergy data to come up with an answer. Lots of data points that might be of interest. 

https://painttouches.com/2020/01/29/is-markus-howard-clutch/

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Is Markus Howard clutch?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 12:20:44 PM »
Perfect thank you!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 12:27:07 PM »
As always, interesting stuff.

I had a feeling - with no evidence to back it up - that Markus hadn't been as clutch this season, and that appears to be the case. The shot against GT that you highlight ... an outstanding clutch moment. But not as many this season. I remember him dominating OT against Creighton last season, and same against Providence the year before, and plenty of other clutch moments.

I also remember him being the passer and putting it in the perfect spot for Sam to hit the tying shot at Creighton, and him being a decoy when Sam hit the clincher on a pass from Rowsey against Providence. Markus scored 50+ in both games.

Here's hoping he can get back to being great in the clutch, as he was before the end of last season. And I totally agree that he needs to know he doesn't have to take every big shot. Jordan passed to Paxson to win one title, passed to Kerr to win another title, passed to Wennington to win the game when MJ had 55 at MSG, etc. LeBron often was criticized for not taking the big shot, but he almost always made the right pass, and it helped win 3 titles.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 12:28:06 PM »
I dug through a few years of Synergy data to come up with an answer. Lots of data points that might be of interest. 

https://painttouches.com/2020/01/29/is-markus-howard-clutch/

Decent read although suggesting Markus should pass like Jordan is a little unrealistic.

That's another consequence of his lack of size. He's pretty limited in the types of passes he can make when he's doubled. Often it hampers his passes when he's guarded by one bigger guard.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 01:11:45 PM »
Decent read although suggesting Markus should pass like Jordan is a little unrealistic.

That's another consequence of his lack of size. He's pretty limited in the types of passes he can make when he's doubled. Often it hampers his passes when he's guarded by one bigger guard.

He's a fine passer if he's looking for teammates. The issue is when he passes out of a double as a last resort. And, I'm not talking about threaded needles, just straight up wide open peeps, particularly when he's not feeling it.

He's only passing in about 14% of clutch possessions this season, significantly lower than his assist rate of 25.6% (let alone pass rate). I just think, as good as he is, he can benefit from using that attention against teams once every 4 possessions or so.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 02:08:55 PM »
He's a fine passer if he's looking for teammates. The issue is when he passes out of a double as a last resort. And, I'm not talking about threaded needles, just straight up wide open peeps, particularly when he's not feeling it.

He's only passing in about 14% of clutch possessions this season, significantly lower than his assist rate of 25.6% (let alone pass rate). I just think, as good as he is, he can benefit from using that attention against teams once every 4 possessions or so.

We'll have to agree to disagree. In transition or if the other team isn't set up on defense Markus is serviceable. Against a quality defender or defenders with a significant size advantage in a set up half court defense, Markus is often a liability. It's not a criticism of Markus' overall ability because a lot of players can't make great passes in those situations. The Michael Jordan analogy was just a bit much.

It's why Wojo has been trying to recruit a true point guard since he got to Marquette, and it's his biggest failing to date. Sure, some of the guards he was targeting may have been paid to go elsewhere, but that's his problem. Koby may be the answer,  but with his thumb injury it's hard to give a fair evaluation of his true ability. I'm really hopefull that Symir breaks the drought, and Mane would really help the cause as well.

Markus is amazing but his passing isn't IMHO.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 02:26:55 PM »
I find this question interesting and appreciate the data. One thing that strikes me, though, is the idea of ‘opportunities to be clutch’ ... you say that Myles “hasn’t been very good in these situations this year” (having scored only 26 clutch points compared to 109 last season), but maybe he hasn’t has as many opportunities. Seton Hall has been strong this year, and maybe fewer games have been close enough for clutch scoring to happen.

Can you somehow add that element into the data and analysis?

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 02:30:24 PM »
I find this question interesting and appreciate the data. One thing that strikes me, though, is the idea of ‘opportunities to be clutch’ ... you say that Myles “hasn’t been very good in these situations this year” (having scored only 26 clutch points compared to 109 last season), but maybe he hasn’t has as many opportunities. Seton Hall has been strong this year, and maybe fewer games have been close enough for clutch scoring to happen.

I guess that would work the same for Markus in big wins, or in some cases even blowout losses.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 03:49:45 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 03:12:30 PM »

My apologies, good as in efficient, not as in volume. His shooting numbers are down (from 47% to 33% from the field and from 46% to 29% from 3). The one thing from letting me make a PPP proclamation is that there's no easy way to get the stats for TOs on Synergy, so we are missing possessions that might go a long way into letting me put it into 1 easy to understand number. If we just do pts per shot (which accounts FT pts but not possessions):

Powell 20: 1.083
Powell 19: 1.68

Howard 20: 1.37
Howard 19: 1.62   

Hope that helps a bit.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 03:48:23 PM »
My apologies, good as in efficient, not as in volume. His shooting numbers are down (from 47% to 33% from the field and from 46% to 29% from 3). The one thing from letting me make a PPP proclamation is that there's no easy way to get the stats for TOs on Synergy, so we are missing possessions that might go a long way into letting me put it into 1 easy to understand number. If we just do pts per shot (which accounts FT pts but not possessions):

Powell 20: 1.083
Powell 19: 1.68

Howard 20: 1.37
Howard 19: 1.62   

Hope that helps a bit.

That does help. Thanks. So, both are “less clutch” than last year, but Markus’ drop off is not as much as Myles’. And, Markus is more clutch than Myles so far this year.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 05:18:27 PM »
I like the bit about MJ and Phil.

If there's anyone to blame for hero ball, it's Wojo, not Markus. The buck stops with the coach.

Always the coach.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 07:51:21 PM »
Anyone watching Myles Powell against DePaul tonight? Clutch.

Let’s hope Markus doesn’t need to be.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 10:33:00 PM »
Anyone watching Myles Powell against DePaul tonight? Clutch.

Let’s hope Markus doesn’t need to be.

Keeping this thread alive, how about Koby tonight? Clutch.