[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MJS coverage: UW vs. MU / King vs. Morrow  (Read 12718 times)

The Lens

• All American
MJS coverage: UW vs. MU / King vs. Morrow
« on: January 28, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »
In reporting on Koby King missing the Iowa game Jeff Potrykus wrote:

"King did not travel from Madison and, according to a source, is frustrated with the direction of the team this season."

When Steele reported Morrow leaving the team it was just reprinting the press release from MU.  No attempt mentioned at reaching him or his parents, no sources, nothing.

Coverage is always predictable and adequate but when is the last time a MU beat reporter broke any news that wasn't handed to them by MU?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

🏀

• All American
Re: MJS coverage: UW vs. MU / King vs. Morrow
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 03:07:21 PM »
I’d rather have Ben’s report than the UW speculation. Everyone knows Jeff’s source is from a message board.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 03:24:00 PM »
I dunno... I think Potrykus is trying to influence the narrative rather than report anything concrete. If/when the transfer happens, King will be painted as a malcontent, bad teammate, etc.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 03:29:10 PM »
Historically, no one would ever call Potrykus objective.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 03:41:41 PM »
Potrykus reporting on the Kobe King situation

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 03:56:34 PM »
There's a lot of reasons to complain about the relative treatment of MU and UW in the Journtinel, but I don't see this as one of them.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 04:15:39 PM »
There's a lot of reasons to complain about the relative treatment of MU and UW in the Journtinel, but I don't see this as one of them.

The coverage IMO is very reasonable given the interest levels in both.  In this day and age they know by clicks.  No more guessing.  And they always assign us young hungry beat guys who do a great job with extra blog posts, lots of tweets etc.  No complaints.  The one area they seem to lack is breaking any news or digging around.  For instance, the Hauser story, you'd think that would be a goldmine for a reporter.  Get to Stephanie & Dave, get the HS coach off the record, talk to a Bennett, anything. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 04:36:18 PM »
Historically, no one would ever call Potrykus objective.

Word.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 04:51:06 PM »
I’d rather have Ben’s report than the UW speculation. Everyone knows Jeff’s source is from a message board.

Yup, his sources are the message board.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2019/05/17/hauser-brothers-decision-expected-soon-wisconsin-still-looks-likely/3706967002/

Less than 24 hours after the Hauser brothers announced they were transferring, sources told the Journal Sentinel that UW was the favored and likely landing spot. Those sources have reiterated throughout the recruiting process they believe the brothers will choose UW.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 04:58:32 PM »
I agree with the premise of the OP.  The Hausers leaving was a huge story locally, and the MJS seemingly did nothing to get to the bottom of it.  Ditto with the Morrow story.  Did Steele even attempt to reach out to Morrow to ask him his reasons for leaving?  The only stories we ever see are puff pieces.  I get that they’re amateur athletes, but MU and Wojo have it made when it comes to treatment in the press.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 04:59:17 PM »
Yup, his sources are the message board.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2019/05/17/hauser-brothers-decision-expected-soon-wisconsin-still-looks-likely/3706967002/

Less than 24 hours after the Hauser brothers announced they were transferring, sources told the Journal Sentinel that UW was the favored and likely landing spot. Those sources have reiterated throughout the recruiting process they believe the brothers will choose UW.

Sounds like a #donedeal.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 05:03:02 PM »
I agree with the premise of the OP.  The Hausers leaving was a huge story locally, and the MJS seemingly did nothing to get to the bottom of it.  Ditto with the Morrow story.  Did Steele even attempt to reach out to Morrow to ask him his reasons for leaving?  The only stories we ever see are puff pieces.  I get that they’re amateur athletes, but MU and Wojo have it made when it comes to treatment in the press.

Comparing this to the Apartment 720 coverage where Bill Michaels was making a bunch of stuff up, I’d take this type of coverage any day.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 07:10:15 PM »
Potrykus reporting on the Kobe King situation

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 08:26:19 PM »
I dunno... I think Potrykus is trying to influence the narrative rather than report anything concrete. If/when the transfer happens, King will be painted as a malcontent, bad teammate, etc.

My take as well
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 10:14:56 PM »
The coverage IMO is very reasonable given the interest levels in both.  In this day and age they know by clicks.  No more guessing.  And they always assign us young hungry beat guys who do a great job with extra blog posts, lots of tweets etc.  No complaints.  The one area they seem to lack is breaking any news or digging around.  For instance, the Hauser story, you'd think that would be a goldmine for a reporter.  Get to Stephanie & Dave, get the HS coach off the record, talk to a Bennett, anything.

Hausers weren’t going on the record.......nobody was going on the record except for the vague stuff.....” looking for a better fit”.

Nothing to be gained by talking about it........and to it’s really nobody’s business.

Ben does a nice job.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 10:32:10 PM »
I like Steele, think he covers program well. He’s their first beat writer I recall who gives time, attention, and detail to prospective recruits. I’v emailed him before and got a very quick, polite, and thorough response.

Potrykus is a total arrogant and smug prick.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2020, 10:35:37 PM »
Hausers weren’t going on the record.......nobody was going on the record except for the vague stuff.....” looking for a better fit”.

Nothing to be gained by talking about it........and to it’s really nobody’s business.

Ben does a nice job.

Who needs things like on-the-record sources when an anonymous Scooper knows a guy who knows a guy who heard the real story from someone close to the program?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 11:28:13 PM »
I like Steele, think he covers program well. He’s their first beat writer I recall who gives time, attention, and detail to prospective recruits. I’v emailed him before and got a very quick, polite, and thorough response.

Potrykus is a total arrogant and smug prick.

He's no Tom Oates

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2020, 08:06:49 AM »
The key difference is that Koby King is good, and a starter, and Ed was not.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 08:11:49 AM »

No, the key difference is that King is a candidate for a transfer, which always brings the crazies out from the woods to ridicule one in any way, (see either Hauser), while Ed is choosing to end his basketball career while getting his degree from Marquette.  There's a lot less spinning that needs to be done when your player won't be suiting up for another team.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 08:27:10 AM »
Eh, I wouldn't really go that far.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 08:35:38 AM »
these reporters are awful. Bring back Michael Hunt

Seriously though, the trolls are looking for anything to complain about now.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 08:44:49 AM »
Every business has to decide where to focus its resources. The MJS is no exception. It focuses its sports reporting resources on the Green Bay Packers and, secondarily, on the Milwaukee Brewers, Milwaukee Bucks and Wisconsin Rodents football team.

Marquette and the Rodent basketball team are bit players UNLESS they are really good and during tournament time. The MJS gives people what they want, period.

Back in the day (get off my lawn you young whippersnapper), when we had a very colorful coach, dynamic players and consistently were a Top 5 team, it was different. It also helped that your two papers, radio station and local television station were the vast majority of local media in town. The MJS covered Marquette because we were really good and people were interested in the coming and goings of our team. We were one of the best in the country and we represented Marquette, Milwaukee and Wisconsin well.

Plus, it helped that the Green Bay Packers sucked in the 1970s, the Brewers were awful for several years and the Badgers were consistently awful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2020, 08:54:19 AM »
Plus da hole print journalism thang dropped inta da chitter, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2020, 11:30:17 AM »
Every business has to decide where to focus its resources. The MJS is no exception. It focuses its sports reporting resources on the Green Bay Packers and, secondarily, on the Milwaukee Brewers, Milwaukee Bucks and Wisconsin Rodents football team.

Marquette and the Rodent basketball team are bit players UNLESS they are really good and during tournament time. The MJS gives people what they want, period.

Back in the day (get off my lawn you young whippersnapper), when we had a very colorful coach, dynamic players and consistently were a Top 5 team, it was different. It also helped that your two papers, radio station and local television station were the vast majority of local media in town. The MJS covered Marquette because we were really good and people were interested in the coming and goings of our team. We were one of the best in the country and we represented Marquette, Milwaukee and Wisconsin well.

Plus, it helped that the Green Bay Packers sucked in the 1970s, the Brewers were awful for several years and the Badgers were consistently awful.

Unsure what era you're talking about but pro sports are so good in mke/wi now I'm sure even if kaminsky and Dekker walked back into the kohl they'd be a blurb behind the bucks/brewers/packers.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback