[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1102977 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #9901 on: March 04, 2021, 07:28:18 PM »
Now CT opening up with no indoor restrictions!!  The TX decision is starting to open up the floodgates, whooohoo!

neanderthals in CT.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9902 on: March 04, 2021, 07:59:49 PM »
Yeah, but it's woke to let in 100 covid positive illegals at the Mexican border. Oh, the hypocrisy, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9903 on: March 04, 2021, 08:06:11 PM »
Yeah, but it's woke to let in 100 covid positive illegals at the Mexican border. Oh, the hypocrisy, aina?

I think we should be providing them with isolation space for two weeks and vaccine. 

But yeah I don’t know what’s going on with that. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9904 on: March 04, 2021, 08:13:21 PM »
The IBM app rolling out in NY makes me think vaccine proof/confirmation for selected events in that way will be common very soon and make everything fairly seamless.

I have 4-5 different things on my phone to scan to open me to certain things when traveling abroad. This should be no different

Agreed. An electronic vaccine passport is the way to go. And people who claim that something like this is an invasion of their privacy can protect their privacy by staying home.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9905 on: March 04, 2021, 08:29:35 PM »

Agreed. An electronic vaccine passport is the way to go. And people who claim that something like this is an invasion of their privacy can protect their privacy by staying home.

I’m generally adverse to tracking or stuff that could be construed as government monitoring.  But TSA precheck/Global Entry/Clear are indispensable parts of my life as a frequent traveler. I view a vaccine passport/wallet as the same sentiment and have zero issue with it

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9907 on: March 04, 2021, 08:37:38 PM »
I’m generally adverse to tracking or stuff that could be construed as government monitoring.  But TSA precheck/Global Entry/Clear are indispensable parts of my life as a frequent traveler. I view a vaccine passport/wallet as the same sentiment and have zero issue with it

I’m with ya. I don’t think there should be monitoring for the sake of monitoring, with no attendant benefit. But in this case (as with the others you mentioned) people would submit to monitoring for the specific purpose of obtaining a privilege.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9908 on: March 04, 2021, 09:09:45 PM »
Individual health systems can add their own tracking (most probably do, others should), but beyond that health system the record is virtually impossible to track.
WRT vaccinations, many companies are working on creating digital passports. Here is one: https://www.ibm.com/products/digital-health-pass

My company is also working on this. We've figured out how to do it, but aren't sure there is an employer market to sell this to. If digital proof of vaccine records become required (to board flights, for instance), there will certainly be demand from individuals, but in our instance we are B2B, not B2C.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9909 on: March 04, 2021, 09:43:12 PM »
Pretty sure Cuomo is done this time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/04/nyregion/cuomo-nursing-home-deaths.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20210304&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=88591053&segment_id=52823&user_id=a4394b6a5672354a123af665691a6f2d

Top aides to Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo were alarmed: A report written by state health officials had just landed, and it included a count of how many nursing home residents in New York had died in the pandemic.

The number — more than 9,000 by that point in June — was not public, and the governor’s most senior aides wanted to keep it that way. They rewrote the report to take it out, according to interviews and documents reviewed by The New York Times.

———

Misleading the public about the details of the pandemic is inexcusable. Even if it did not affect the total death numbers, there is no justification to falsify such a significant report.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #9910 on: March 04, 2021, 10:03:22 PM »
A better idea would be some sort of national registry where participation is voluntary and venues could use to verify your status.

Wisconsin has an immunization registry. Sadly, there is no consistency from state to state.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9911 on: March 04, 2021, 10:27:07 PM »
Pretty sure Cuomo is done this time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/04/nyregion/cuomo-nursing-home-deaths.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20210304&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=88591053&segment_id=52823&user_id=a4394b6a5672354a123af665691a6f2d

Top aides to Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo were alarmed: A report written by state health officials had just landed, and it included a count of how many nursing home residents in New York had died in the pandemic.

The number — more than 9,000 by that point in June — was not public, and the governor’s most senior aides wanted to keep it that way. They rewrote the report to take it out, according to interviews and documents reviewed by The New York Times.

———

Misleading the public about the details of the pandemic is inexcusable. Even if it did not affect the total death numbers, there is no justification to falsify such a significant report.

He should be done. Just gross all around. Covering up deaths. Allowing liability shields for his donors.

NY state legislators had to go to the UN for crying out loud.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9912 on: March 04, 2021, 11:37:10 PM »
Cover ups never end well.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9913 on: March 05, 2021, 01:18:51 AM »
WRT vaccinations, many companies are working on creating digital passports. Here is one: https://www.ibm.com/products/digital-health-pass

My company is also working on this. We've figured out how to do it, but aren't sure there is an employer market to sell this to. If digital proof of vaccine records become required (to board flights, for instance), there will certainly be demand from individuals, but in our instance we are B2B, not B2C.

The problem with "distributing" vaccines is that there's no money in it.  Actually, it's just lost money - because the US government has said that we all get them for free.  Which is also great and necessary - but you're not going to sell many vaccine tracking systems for $0.  This is also why Biden has needed to setup FEMA sites for distributing vaccines.  There's no surprise Walgreens/CVS/Walmart are also scrambling, other than currying favor with the USG, there's no money in this for them.

I don't doubt the product you have is a great idea, and is probably needed.  But at this point there's no market for it.  Vaccines are only hemorrhaging money for companies.  Those employees could be doing other money-making things, or not be employed. 

This is largely why vaccinations stumbled after healthcare workers.  Hospitals were happy to get them for their employees.  After that, it didn't make much sense to keep trying to handle them except for charity.

• All American
« Reply #9914 on: March 05, 2021, 04:29:49 AM »
The problem with "distributing" vaccines is that there's no money in it.  Actually, it's just lost money - because the US government has said that we all get them for free.  Which is also great and necessary - but you're not going to sell many vaccine tracking systems for $0.  This is also why Biden has needed to setup FEMA sites for distributing vaccines.  There's no surprise Walgreens/CVS/Walmart are also scrambling, other than currying favor with the USG, there's no money in this for them.

I don't doubt the product you have is a great idea, and is probably needed.  But at this point there's no market for it.  Vaccines are only hemorrhaging money for companies.  Those employees could be doing other money-making things, or not be employed. 

This is largely why vaccinations stumbled after healthcare workers.  Hospitals were happy to get them for their employees.  After that, it didn't make much sense to keep trying to handle them except for charity.

Is this really the problem?  Locally the health care systems have done great. The problem is they simply don’t have enough shots and repeatedly have said that they could ramp it up if they had more to work with. Is this the exception?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #9916 on: March 05, 2021, 05:50:30 AM »
Just quoting our leader.

That's how this works, right?

That’s fine and maybe I shouldn’t have quoted you directly.  I wasn’t following the news cycle yesterday but saw a couple insinuations that CT has ‘no indoor restrictions’.  And a bunch of flip “what about cynicism” back and forth. 

Good news is 74% of 75+, 59% of 65-75 and 17% of 55-65 now have at least one shot.  We get data twice a week and planned dates for when the next group can make appointments. They are tracking the wastewater across the state for covid and have pretty robust testing.   

I’m in a minority position on the board where my state govt has earned my trust on their pandemic management.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9917 on: March 05, 2021, 07:28:14 AM »
Surprise!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/03/05/fever-scanner-flaws-covid/

TLDR: All those temperature checks are so inaccurate it's actually a detriment to public health as the feverish are often told they are fine.

Great great.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9918 on: March 05, 2021, 07:39:31 AM »
Companies, including ours, are developing the proof-of-vaccine passport on the speculation that they may be required for people in the future. (Maybe they will, maybe they won't). If so there will obviously be a market for this, but that will probably be a B2C play, we think, unless companies also require the passport in order for workers to come back to their physical spaces.

If that is the case, then there is a B2B play, along with the ability for the company to have a top-down view of the status of their workforce, which is relatively simple to produce. Employers will pay for that capability, but not standalone passports for employees if their physical work location doesn't required them.

There could be exceptions: airlines, any company that needs to send its workers into the physical space of another organization (construction, or software implementation, for example), etc. If so, my hope is that this is a short term need and that we'll have this under control with annual booster shots to the point of obsoleting any need for proof of vaccination.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9919 on: March 05, 2021, 07:41:24 AM »
Companies, including ours, are developing the proof-of-vaccine passport on the speculation that they may be required for people in the future. (Maybe they will, maybe they won't). If so there will obviously be a market for this, but that will probably be a B2C play, we think, unless companies also require the passport in order for workers to come back to their physical spaces.

If that is the case, then there is a B2B play, along with the ability for the company to have a top-down view of the status of their workforce, which is relatively simple to produce. Employers will pay for that capability, but not standalone passports for employees if their physical work location doesn't required them.

There could be exceptions: airlines, any company that needs to send its workers into the physical space of another organization (construction, or software implementation, for example), etc. If so, my hope is that this is a short term need and that we'll have this under control with annual booster shots to the point of obsoleting any needs for proof of vaccination.

Sounds like a perfect fit for blockchain technology.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #9920 on: March 05, 2021, 08:03:58 AM »

There could be exceptions: airlines, any company that needs to send its workers into the physical space of another organization (construction, or software implementation, for example), etc. If so, my hope is that this is a short term need and that we'll have this under control with annual booster shots to the point of obsoleting any need for proof of vaccination.
Out of curiosity, since there is no national database, how are you going to connect to the various data sources to determine status? A clearing house? Connecting to 50+ data sources?
As chick pointed out, no national DB exists and would have violent push back from certain groups of people.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9921 on: March 05, 2021, 08:12:57 AM »

I’m in a minority position on the board where my state govt has earned my trust on their pandemic management.

I'll second this. 

• All American
« Reply #9922 on: March 05, 2021, 08:20:21 AM »
I think Wisconsin has by and large done very well.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9923 on: March 05, 2021, 08:52:18 AM »
Out of curiosity, since there is no national database, how are you going to connect to the various data sources to determine status? A clearing house? Connecting to 50+ data sources?
As chick pointed out, no national DB exists and would have violent push back from certain groups of people.

While it's not a national database the vast majority of male health systems use Epic's MyChart program. While not a fully comprehensive list would be a good starting Data source
Maigh Eo for Sam

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9924 on: March 05, 2021, 09:03:45 AM »
I think Wisconsin has by and large done very well.

👍👍

feedback