[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1106191 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #2950 on: April 02, 2020, 01:16:27 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/20/hospitals-doctors-are-wiping-out-supplies-an-unproven-coronavirus-treatment/

Near the end of the article, it claims doctors and dentists are prescribing it for themselves.   I could see MD’s Rx’ing it for themselves but unless ya know the pharmacist pretty well, they will flag this one as outside your lane

But gee, I’m curious as to why these people with, probably a pretty good understanding of how things work, would be taking this “anecdotal” medication.  and it seems to be hard to find now?  But that’s just me being reckless err something.  Wouldn’t want to find something that seems to be doing something weird with this pesky virus.

btw, yes, very possible my nephew was not exposed to said virus but what the heck.  Ya gotta ask yourself, do ya feel lucky? Punk? 🤫

I love that you choose an article that has a headline that states there are patient needs that are going unfulfilled because irresponsible providers are writing scripts for themselves and friends.

Go ahead and pat yourself on the back for something that's putting patients at risk
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:19:53 AM by jesmu84 »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2951 on: April 02, 2020, 02:30:23 AM »
Unaware of any fringe/conspiracy theories he has espoused. I’m certainly not a fan of that sort of thing. But when Trump was holding rallies and the Dems were only interested in impeachment he was a lonely and accurate voice about the seriousness of the virus.

Among politicians you mean.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2952 on: April 02, 2020, 03:13:21 AM »
I love that you choose an article that has a headline that states there are patient needs that are going unfulfilled because irresponsible providers are writing scripts for themselves and friends.

Go ahead and pat yourself on the back for something that's putting patients at risk

Not patting anything here jesus

Patients at risk?  Now that is juicy.  Which part is more risky?  The dying part? What are the risks of hydroxychloroquine?  What are the risks of zithromycin?  Every time a patient takes any drug for whatever reason there are some risks, regardless of the research. Hell, the last half of all commercials are needed for the disclaimers...not limited to but including potential death diarrhea, loss of hearing, decreased sex drive, tinnitus, watery eyes, leaky penis, leaky brains, stomach aches, headaches,  increased blood pressure, decreased blood pressure, postural hypotension, arthritis hang nail, sinus discharge, anal discharge,
don't...don't don't don't don't

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2953 on: April 02, 2020, 06:06:53 AM »
He may have been right about the threat...but he has been pushing this:

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronavirus-covid-19/fox-news-anchor-maria-bartiromo-and-sen-tom-cotton-keep-pushing-coronavirus

The Lancet - one of the most respected medical journals in the world (and which published the study he uses as the basis for his theory) - has stated that there is no substance to his claims.

You rail against fox, but then post an article from media matters?  C'mon now.

• All American
« Reply #2954 on: April 02, 2020, 07:19:26 AM »

I don’t think that’s how an essential business is determined.  There are a lot of people who believe their religion is essential however. God bless em

Then they should read up on how a funeral in Albany, Gerogia created a hotspot there.

It is reckless and irresponsible for pastor's to be holding Church services at this time.  God understands. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2955 on: April 02, 2020, 07:28:52 AM »
Will they start paying taxes like essential businesses?

One can dream
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2956 on: April 02, 2020, 07:35:55 AM »
You rail against fox, but then post an article from media matters?  C'mon now.

You could find the same in any number of publications, including USA Today and The Hill. They all simply report on an interview Cotton gave in which he peddled a conspiracy theory that COVID-19 was engineered in a Chinese lab.

Good for Cotton for ringing the alarm early on this.
Bad for Corton for spreading a debunked fringe theory.

• All American
« Reply #2957 on: April 02, 2020, 07:36:02 AM »
Will they start paying taxes like essential businesses?

Plenty of not-for-profits are considered essential businesses. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2958 on: April 02, 2020, 07:38:34 AM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2959 on: April 02, 2020, 08:27:38 AM »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2960 on: April 02, 2020, 08:30:16 AM »
No offense shoot - but everything you've posted tonight has already been here.  Catch up here first, then let us know if you've got anything new.

Huh?

I posted that Wimbledon was canceled. Please provide link where it was already posted.

I posted an article about how the government let the ventilator contract expire. Link?

In the post you reference above, the post was about two new articles I have not seen posted regarding the cruise ship and that only Floridians are being let off. Can you post the links where they were already posted?

(i also posted about Stan's new staff in the Stan thread I started, but you may have missed it since most of the thread is filled with posts not about Stan)

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:46:34 AM by shoothoops »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2961 on: April 02, 2020, 08:38:55 AM »
Unaware of any fringe/conspiracy theories he has espoused. I’m certainly not a fan of that sort of thing. But when Trump was holding rallies and the Dems were only interested in impeachment he was a lonely and accurate voice about the seriousness of the virus.

Lenny,
This is actually incorrect.  It's behind a paywall in today's Washington Post so I can't link, but here's the article title.
Dana Milbank at The Washington Post writes—Republicans were warned. Yet they persisted in defending Trump

Snippet from the article:
In the middle of the impeachment trial, on Jan. 26, Schumer demanded that the administration declare a public health emergency so that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention could access more funds. “Should the outbreak get worse, they’re going to need immediate access to critical federal funds that at present they can’t access,” Schumer said. “We aren’t here to propel panic or stoke fear, but to rather keep a good proactive effort by the CDC from going on [un]interrupted.”

Certainly, the virus got less media attention because of impeachment. And few in either party anticipated the scale of the outbreak here. But Senate Democrats point to 32 other warnings, requests and statements they made seeking action against the virus — all while the Senate impeachment trial was underway. It begins with Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) on Jan. 17 releasing a letter to Azar about steps “should this outbreak escalate,” and includes several requests to increase preparedness and to reinstate the National Security Council directorate for pandemics that Trump had dissolved.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2962 on: April 02, 2020, 09:06:12 AM »
Exactly. Only one politician has been right on this from day one that I know of - Sen Tom Cotton. Everybody else who opined early (that I’ve seen quoted) from both parties didn’t get it.

This  article supports your claim.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/03/the-senator-who-saw-the-coronavirus-coming/
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2963 on: April 02, 2020, 09:07:47 AM »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #2964 on: April 02, 2020, 09:13:05 AM »
Italy’s death toll from virus far higher than reported

https://www.wsj.com/articles/italys-coronavirus-death-toll-is-far-higher-than-reported-11585767179

This is why the comparisons against other countries is meaningless.  The numbers are not comparable or standardized.  Used purely as a political hammer in my opinion.  I’m not sure why the them of greatest country on earth keeps coming up either.  All countries have flaws, and the US is no different.  How do we move forward as a nation to tackle this, preserve our civil liberties in the process (do we care?) and come out the other side?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Pakuni

• All American

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2966 on: April 02, 2020, 09:22:03 AM »
Italy’s death toll from virus far higher than reported

https://www.wsj.com/articles/italys-coronavirus-death-toll-is-far-higher-than-reported-11585767179

This is why the comparisons against other countries is meaningless.  The numbers are not comparable or standardized.  Used purely as a political hammer in my opinion.  I’m not sure why the them of greatest country on earth keeps coming up either.  All countries have flaws, and the US is no different.  How do we move forward as a nation to tackle this, preserve our civil liberties in the process (do we care?) and come out the other side?

Just as an aside, this is happening here already even though we are just getting into health crisis mode in areas of the US.  As an example CT had a 'true-up' a couple days ago on deaths that subsequently were deemed as part of COVID.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2967 on: April 02, 2020, 09:23:20 AM »
This  article supports your claim.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/03/the-senator-who-saw-the-coronavirus-coming/

Actually, it claims to, but in fact the date provides a nice roadmap to show that Cotton wasn't the first.

The article cites a January 22 letter as the start of his raising the alarm. But below is a link to a copy of a letter that Diane Feinstein sent to Alex Azar a week earlier - on January 15 - referring to the coronavirus outbreak, and asking Azar what HHS is doing to prepare us for this "new threat to global health.":

https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=B5213A09-21BD-4848-A6AF-185B958AF06D

Facts are difficult and persistent things....

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2968 on: April 02, 2020, 09:52:59 AM »
Yes
I guess you mean other than all the ones quoted in the various links posted here?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2969 on: April 02, 2020, 11:04:30 AM »
Ballgame for Covid-19

George Stanley

@geostanley
 · 36m
BREAKING: Researchers in Pittsburgh have developed a potential coronavirus vaccine: 'We'd like to get this into patients as soon as possible' https://jsonline.com/story/news/2020/04/02/researchers-pittsburgh-have-developed-potential-coronavirus-vaccine/5107907002/… via @journalsentinel
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2970 on: April 02, 2020, 11:05:26 AM »
Not patting anything here jesus

Patients at risk?  Now that is juicy.  Which part is more risky?  The dying part? What are the risks of hydroxychloroquine?  What are the risks of zithromycin?  Every time a patient takes any drug for whatever reason there are some risks, regardless of the research. Hell, the last half of all commercials are needed for the disclaimers...not limited to but including potential death diarrhea, loss of hearing, decreased sex drive, tinnitus, watery eyes, leaky penis, leaky brains, stomach aches, headaches,  increased blood pressure, decreased blood pressure, postural hypotension, arthritis hang nail, sinus discharge, anal discharge,

You're way off.

I'm saying patients who need these medications for their intended use, not for covid. Those patients can't get these important drugs because some irresponsible folks are wrongly prescribing for themselves.

You have a weird fetish for this medication/proposed treatment. You have posted about it a ton. Why?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2971 on: April 02, 2020, 11:08:22 AM »
When I think back on where this all went so wrong, I find three big problems.

1. Massive failures on rolling out testing. That led to major issues in number 2.

2. Not isolating all travelers from China, and testing them rigorously, and tracing and quarantining contacts. Again here, we couldn't, because we didn't have testing.

3. And this is where it snowballed. Europe was obviously a big problem, and with all the travelers from affected regions on planes, air travel was a major problem. We were way way late on shutting down travel, we still haven't shut it down really. That spread this around the entire nation and exploded initial cases.

On 3, my University shut down travel very early. We also got all students and employees out of Europe in the first week of February. That should have been nationwide.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2972 on: April 02, 2020, 11:09:53 AM »
Ballgame for Covid-19

George Stanley

@geostanley
 · 36m
BREAKING: Researchers in Pittsburgh have developed a potential coronavirus vaccine: 'We'd like to get this into patients as soon as possible' https://jsonline.com/story/news/2020/04/02/researchers-pittsburgh-have-developed-potential-coronavirus-vaccine/5107907002/… via @journalsentinel

There are already multiple vaccines being tested in patients. None of these are changing the 12-18 month timeline for a vaccine to be ready for widespread use.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2973 on: April 02, 2020, 11:15:42 AM »
Ballgame for Covid-19

George Stanley

@geostanley
 · 36m
U say ballgame like this thing is about to be done. Takes a year for FDA approval i mean come on.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2974 on: April 02, 2020, 11:20:23 AM »
U say ballgame like this thing is about to be done. Takes a year for FDA approval i mean come on.

That can be accelerated.....I mean if the trials are working, why wait?? This is vital.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

feedback