[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bottom Line On Wojo  (Read 16209 times)

skianth16

• All American
Re: Bottom Line On Wojo
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2020, 10:55:14 PM »
I think it's very possible to be happy with a win and to notice that this team has pulled out some gritty wins this season while also noticing that we end up in unfavorable positions that seem pretty avoidable. Score more than 14 points in the first 18.5 minutes of the second half tonight, and we win in regulation. Practice fouling when up 3 late in the game and you can avoid the scenario we saw tonight. (I do think Wojo called for it, but have the guys practice how to do it to guarantee a call)

I'm coming to the conclusion that this is a pretty scrappy team but is not a very disciplined team. Heart wins out a lot of times, but high basketball IQ can make a big difference as well.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2020, 10:57:36 PM »
Agree on the made free throw. Not sure why he did that. If they win on a last second shot so be it.

Can't agree on the foul. He told them to foul. Symir did a piss poor job of it. He then again tried to foul up 4 in 2OT and cain grabs the guy and they don't call it.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2020, 10:57:42 PM »
He both told the players to foul and the refs they were going to foul.  What else should he do since he can’t go Woody Hayes and do it himself?
This is where I can be schooled - is it the right call to foul up 4 with - what was it -
10 seconds left.? I have my doubts, but very much receptive to arguments in favor of it. I would think up 2 possessions with that little time, the last thing you would want to do is foul. But again, guttural instinct at 11:00 pm here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2020, 11:04:54 PM »
Why do you foul up 4? Even the "leaning Projo" in me disagrees with that.

On the FTs ... if Sacar makes the first, you make the second to go up 3. Then, worst-case scenario, if they hit a miracle shot, it's only tied. Once Sacar missed the first, however, there is no benefit to making the second, because a 3-point heave (which is the likely shot) beats you whether you're up 1 or 2. So yes, you miss on purpose there so they can't try the kind of long pass they did. Thank goodness, Jones was too flustered to take the open 18-footer he had.

Otherwise, I am thrilled with the level of play Wojo was able to coax from the guys. That was one of our most amazing wins in years given all the adversity our team faced.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2020, 11:09:05 PM »
Why do you foul up 4? Even the "leaning Projo" in me disagrees with that.

On the FTs ... if Sacar makes the first, you make the second to go up 3. Then, worst-case scenario, if they hit a miracle shot, it's only tied. Once Sacar missed the first, however, there is no benefit to making the second, because a 3-point heave (which is the likely shot) beats you whether you're up 1 or 2. So yes, you miss on purpose there so they can't try the kind of long pass they did. Thank goodness, Jones was too flustered to take the open 18-footer he had.

Otherwise, I am thrilled with the level of play Wojo was able to coax from the guys. That was one of our most amazing wins in years given all the adversity our team faced.

The only counter arguments that I can think of to making the free throw are:

1. A miss that goes out of bounds or an airball. Now a full court pass and a 2 pointer wins it.

2. A miss and a foul on the rebound gives X a shot to win. You can pull your rebounders away from the ball but then X can either get a clean look or let it go OB.

I think you miss it , just playing devil's advocate.

My favorite opposing strategy for that moment is when a coach for the defensive team will purposefully commit lane violations until they make the free throw.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2020, 11:10:59 PM »
+1

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2020, 11:21:17 PM »
No way, man, like I said, thrilled we won - still am and will be all day tomorrow - but why can’t we question the process? I would argue that a coach has 2-3 opportunities to really impact the game one way or another. At any rate, let’s celebrate while knowing there’s still plenty of room for growth for Wojo.

STFU! U must be a complete loser at life too
Career second guesser and makes assumptions with out knowing half the facts.
What was it that Mark Twain used to say?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2020, 11:23:54 PM »
STFU! U must be a complete loser at life too
Career second guesser and makes assumptions with out knowing half the facts.
What was it that Mark Twain used to say?
I believe Twain's exact quote was, "Mr. Sand-Knit and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.