[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Where is Marquette? by muwarrior69
[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: RIP Kobe Bryant  (Read 9546 times)

Johnny B

• All American

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: RIP Kobe Bryant
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 05:33:26 PM »
Awful reporting by the majors on this. TMZ comes out the leader on this.

You mean the TMZ that reported it on social media before the families could be informed? Scumbags.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 05:34:05 PM »
Oh boy...goodbye career.

https://news.grabien.com/story-while-reporting-kobe-bryant-death-msnbc-anchor-somehow-says

What the actual f*ck? How do you make that mistake as a professional news anchor?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 05:39:03 PM »
You mean the TMZ that reported it on social media before the families could be informed? Scumbags.

Yep. Sherrif's department blasted them.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2020, 05:40:13 PM »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2020, 05:45:02 PM »
What the actual f*ck? How do you make that mistake as a professional news anchor?

I am loathe to give someone from that network the benefit of the doubt, but what purpose would it serve for her to say it?  I think she stumbled and mangled some words.  Fast moving story, media stepping all over themselves to be the first to report and the butchering they do all the time already without that time pressure....not surprising.  I heard the recording, I don’t know...almost sounds like Knickers to me but I don’t know.  I am giving her the benefit of the doubt for now unless something else comes out. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2020, 05:45:30 PM »

Man. I don’t know. I only listened a couple of times, but sounded to me like she got tongue tied and said “knickers,”.  Just can’t fathom a media person, especially at MSNBC, being racist. Will be interesting to see what happens with her.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2020, 05:47:01 PM »
I am loathe to give someone from that network the benefit of the doubt, but what purpose would it serve for her to say it?  I think she stumbled and mangled some words.  Fast moving story, media stepping all over themselves to be the first to report and the butchering they do all the time already without that time pressure....not surprising.  I heard the recording, I don’t know...almost sounds like Knickers to me but I don’t know.  I am giving her the benefit of the doubt for now unless something else comes out.

She tweeted that she combined Knicks and Lakers into Nakers, and apologized for the mistake.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2020, 05:48:26 PM »
Man. I don’t know. I only listened a couple of times, but sounded to me like she got tongue tied and said “knickers,”.  Just can’t fathom a media person, especially at MSNBC, being racist. Will be interesting to see what happens with her.

Why “especially at MSNBC” comment....people there as biased and issues like anyone else....Joy Reid has made many anti LGBTQ comments in her career.  Regardless, I also hear Knickers...a human being made a mistake...it happens.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2020, 05:49:19 PM »
She tweeted that she combined Knicks and Lakers into Nakers, and apologized for the mistake.

I accept it. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2020, 05:49:33 PM »
Yep. Sherrif's department blasted them.

Happened to me once. A close friend died (also lead singer of a moderately successful band in Jersey) and before his wife was able to reach out to friends a music blog posted on Facebook about his death. The thing with that situation was I didn’t know if it was real until I was able to talk to his wife, who was now being inundated with calls. Vultures.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2020, 05:50:17 PM »
Agree, the only way is if it was a freudian slip and it did sound like knickers.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2020, 05:58:40 PM »
Agree, the only way is if it was a freudian slip and it did sound like knickers.

She was previously in NYC so Knickerbockers might have been on her mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2020, 06:01:44 PM »
I suspect a lot of MU players were big fans of Kobe as he was an elite player in their youthful Basketball development lives.  RIP

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2020, 06:24:48 PM »

It obviously wasn't intentional. That doesn't lessen the impact of the mistake.

Since reading, I've listened closer a couple more times. In all honesty, I'm not hearing a ck sound but maybe that's what happened.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 06:30:00 PM by TAMU Garcia »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2020, 07:05:27 PM »
It obviously wasn't intentional. That doesn't lessen the impact of the mistake.

Since reading, I've listened closer a couple more times. In all honesty, I'm not hearing a ck sound but maybe that's what happened.
I think it does lessen the impact. It was a mistake, she wasnt intentionally or even subconsciously saying a racial slur. She mixed up two team names. Her screw up should not be a big political or social event. Sorry but, people need to stop being so easily offended when its its obviously not warranted. It detracts from the real tragedy of the day

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2020, 07:13:19 PM »
John Altobelli's wife and daughter were also on the helicopter.  Bryant did a lot down here in Orange County and specifically with Orange Coast College.  Altobelli played baseball at the University of Houston, won state championships as a coach here in 2009, 2014 and 2015.  Recently named national junior college coach of the year.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2020, 08:06:22 PM »
A tragic day for too many young people.  May they all be embraced by the Lord.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2020, 08:12:51 PM »

Los Angeles natives Keston Hiura, Ryan Braun react at Brewers on Deck to news of Kobe Bryant's death

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2020/01/26/los-angeles-natives-braun-hiura-react-kobe-bryants-death/4583634002/
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2020, 08:19:20 PM »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2020, 08:29:36 PM »
Don’t know why but this one hit me really hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2020, 10:07:40 PM »
Rivers really emotional there.  Difficult to watch with all the pain he and others are going through.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2020, 10:41:11 PM »
This actually hurts somewhat. 23 years on this rock and no celeb death has really bothered me much but for some reason this one hits hard. Doesnt seem real still. Just sad. RIP kobe.. and others

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2020, 10:47:15 PM »

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:48:46 PM by Cheeks »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2020, 09:55:22 AM »
I think all basketball fans feel some loss, but this hit me way harder as a dad to a little girl who shows more interest in basketball every day.

This piece sums up a lot of what I felt- https://theathletic.com/1564051/2020/01/27/thompson-kobe-bryants-death-hit-me-hard-and-even-worse-because-of-what-we-had-in-common/