[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OH for Crying Out Loud  (Read 19458 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: OH for Crying Out Loud
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2020, 12:48:21 PM »
Titus decided to die on a hill that was not based on any facts and had our #MUBB statisticians tear him a new one.

People who don't like numbers get really defensive when presented with numbers, even in a calm and rational way.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2020, 01:36:41 PM »
Are we supposed to care about Titus and Tate, and their tiny-ass audience?

I don't necessarily care about their opinions, but it's frustrating that the only discussion on Howard for POY races is to be brushed aside like he's not a serious candidate.  The Powell over Howard argument, is especially irritating.

The most they've talked about Marquette all year is the discussion of Titus's argument with Brew and other fans.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2020, 01:48:48 PM »

I don't necessarily care about their opinions, but it's frustrating that the only discussion on Howard for POY races is to be brushed aside like he's not a serious candidate.  The Powell over Howard argument, is especially irritating.

The most they've talked about Marquette all year is the discussion of Titus's argument with Brew and other fans.

I'm good with that. Even if it's dismissive initially, if they are talking about Howard and NPOY in the same sentence, it will get the voters that listen to investigate the case. I was pleased to see one of the AP voters start following me on Twitter today. Only brings the grand total to 2 (Ben Steele) but I am going to try to put this on their timelines.

I've been making a point to put a TL;DR (too long, didn't read) section at the bottom of each article and plan to create a full TL;DR version that sums up all the posts once I'm done. If I can get that in front of some of the voters eyes, I think there's a shot at actually making the case.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2020, 06:58:12 AM »
Still nobody has said who Titus and Tate are? 

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2020, 07:39:30 AM »
+1   Thank you !  ! !   8-)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2020, 07:41:06 AM »

Mark Titus played for OSU and basically never got in, but had a social media following with ClubTrillion blog.  I think he was a walk on.  He ripped on Crean which made Titus a big hit for some here.  He later changed his tune.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2020, 07:53:39 AM »
Mark Titus played for OSU and basically never got in, but had a social media following with ClubTrillion blog.  I think he was a walk on.  He ripped on Crean which made Titus a big hit for some here.  He later changed his tune.

Yea, he’s only known here because of bashing Crean  ::) He makes fun of everyone.

I believe Titus and Tate were on the Ringer and got a decent following there. His Club Trillion blog was big when he played. He also wrote a book that I enjoyed.

I’ve always chuckled at his characterization of the Badgers as the Wisconsin Buzzcuts.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2020, 08:10:06 AM »
So where did they say something anti Howard and got called out
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2020, 08:12:56 AM »
Yea, he’s only known here because of bashing Crean  ::) He makes fun of everyone.

I believe Titus and Tate were on the Ringer and got a decent following there. His Club Trillion blog was big when he played. He also wrote a book that I enjoyed.

I’ve always chuckled at his characterization of the Badgers as the Wisconsin Buzzcuts.

Probably why I said “some” here.  I realize his schtick of making fun of many and I am not wrong in why he is popular with SOME here.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2020, 08:37:50 AM »

At this point, one of the bigger college basketball podcasts, up there with the CBS Eye on College Basketball (Parrish & Norlander), NBC Sports College Basketball Podcast (Dauster & now apparently Bobby Reagan), Three Man Weave, and Scrambled Eggs.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2020, 08:39:47 AM »
At this point, one of the bigger college basketball podcasts, up there with the CBS Eye on College Basketball (Parrish & Norlander), NBC Sports College Basketball Podcast (Dauster & now apparently Bobby Reagan), Three Man Weave, and Scrambled Eggs.

Wow.  The fifth largest podcast on college basketball.  Clearly very influential people with a broad reach.  However will the Marquette fan base recover from such a stinging statement?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2020, 08:51:50 AM »
Here is a list of college basketball podcasts.

https://player.fm/podcasts/College-Basketball

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2020, 08:55:24 AM »
Brew, do you have a link(s) to the debate between you and them?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2020, 08:59:22 AM »
I scrolled for at least 10 minutes and still didn't see Phil and Joe.  Guess you boys can still go grocery shopping without being inundated by autograph seekers!  ;D 

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2020, 09:24:58 AM »
Well said.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2020, 10:34:20 AM »

His book had me feeling like a fool trying to fight laughing out loud while sitting on the train. A great read. His Club Trillion blog was great when he was at OSU. He became somewhat of a cult hero among other Big Ten team's student sections. For those that don't know, Club Trillion stands for his version of the ideal stat line for a walk-on; one minute played without registering a stat of any kind. That would mean you didn't screw up and didn't do anything positive that would have the crowd going crazy like you're a circus act. Pretty funny.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2020, 11:09:47 AM »

Wow.  The fifth largest podcast on college basketball.  Clearly very influential people with a broad reach.  However will the Marquette fan base recover from such a stinging statement?

They had a pretty big following when they were with the Ringer, and Titus still has a fanbase coming from his Grantland days. Since they left the Ringer to go out on their own, they've dropped off a little bit and even when through a period without producing content this season. Titus is a pretty big name, but Tate isn't nearly as well known.

I like these guys a lot. They know their stuff, and their pods are usually pretty fun, even if they are overly focused on Big Ten and ACC basketball. They usually like underdog types, and they've been pretty complimentary of Markus in the past. I didn't hear the pod or see the tweets, but I'm surprised to hear they had anything negative to say about MU or Howard. Now, if it's just them complaining that a guy on twitter was bugging them, that's a little different.

Edit: I listened to the podcast now, and Titus just said there were some MU fans arguing with him on Twitter. Not much else there. In the words of Mr. Wonderful, it was a big  ol' nothing-burger.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 11:52:35 AM by skianth16 »

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2020, 11:24:07 AM »
Rob Dauster said the same thing over the summer. Honestly though I haven't seen a lot of interactions from MU fans with national personalities that is crazy or out of bounds (we reserve that for blue on blue engagements I guess). I've found a lot of the sports media types like to talk a big game but when MU folks come at them with info/data they fold

I would assume most of these guys have a fact or two given to them by some intern that has to find interesting data points for a couple hundred players and dozens of teams each month. They just don't have the time to do a ton of in-depth research for all the teams they cover. Correcting an obvious mistake is one thing, but bickering over a talking point that doesn't really matter can come across as whiny. (then again, what else is Twitter for if not bickering?)

It's not fair to expect these guys to be perfect. Can you imagine how many times they must have to deal with nitpicking from fans? And what does it even mean that national media types "talk a big game?" Of course they're never going to know as much as the guys who spend countless hours reading about a specific team or conference. It's impossible for them to do that for every game they cover or every team they mention. Do you expect them to caveat every stat they cite?

I know this kind of stuff really rile some people up, but I try to give a lot of these guys the benefit of the doubt. They're usually not trying to mislead anyone or paint a coach or player in a bad light. They have a lot of ground to cover, and it's hard to get 100% of it right.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2020, 11:56:07 AM »
Brew, do you have a link(s) to the debate between you and them?

Here's the thread, I was a small part of it: https://twitter.com/nolanjon/status/1224779434508668929?s=21

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »
I didn't hear the pod or see the tweets, but I'm surprised to hear they had anything negative to say about MU or Howard. Now, if it's just them complaining that a guy on twitter was bugging them, that's a little different.

You need the POD before to hear the origin, and it was actually Tate that made the comment.  Essentially what started it was this:
-There are no clearly dominant runaway POY candidates this year.
-So no one player is garnering all the attention.
-If Carsen Edwards was playing this year, he would be a lock POY and all anyone talked about.

-MUBB fans then tried to explain to Titus that Howard is essentially having a better year this year than Carsen last year, so we isn't he getting that love.  Then Mark trotted out the same lame crap, in back and forth tweets with Brew (IIRC), we've been hearing all year.  With the cherry on top that Howard isn't even Big East POY.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt