[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OH for Crying Out Loud  (Read 19448 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: OH for Crying Out Loud
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2020, 01:56:52 PM »
Every sports team has a percentage of entitled fans.  This is just a fact.  Determining level of entitlement is all relative.  Compared to similar programs that had a set of "glory days" decades ago (UCLA, I4), I think we have a mostly reasonable set of fans and the entitlement that goes with it.  Compared to our "current peers" i.e. the Big East, the only set of more entitled fans is Georgetown, partly due to the extremely strong connection to their "'glory days" the last decade plus.  I know that someone is going to respond with a comment about how much money we spend, but until Universities can start (legally) bribing recruits, that should not be a large contributor to the fan-bases expectations IMO. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2020, 02:14:40 PM »
Goose,

I know you are a great fan.  My drop like flies comment was for projos dropping off the Wojo band wagon.  Not the program band wagon.  I guess what I am saying is we too will reach the end of our rope with him as you have already done.  Definitely not questioning your fandom or love for MU.   

I also think that we all have had several teams in our lifetime that we root for succeed at the highest (championship) level.  70s MU fans are not the only ones who have witnessed this. I and everyone in here gets what striving for championships looks like, despite being a little too young to have seen the 70s teams first hand.  I was seven in 77.  I don’t think witnessing this in person in your teens qualifies you or anyone else as more of an expert on building championship programs. 

I have always been open to the fact that you may be right on Wojo not being the correct man for the job.  I just need a few more data points to reach the same conclusion.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2020, 02:47:29 PM »
Can you name all the elite 8 participants from last season? The season before? The season before that? I can't. I can name all the Final Four participants since I was in high school. Elite Eights are fun when they are happening, but they don't really move the need in my opinion. First round loss and elite eight loss doesn't make much difference to me other than a couple of weeks of fun.

In recent memory the run to the elite 8 vs. Syracuse sticks out a lot more than any old regular season game or run.

And I don't care about other teams so no I don't memorize elite eight or final four contestants each year. But I'd like to think recruits make more of a note on tournament success than regular season wins when looking at schools. Which is why I'd love to see a tournament run with average regular season success.

I see both sides but it's just kind of funny because the majority of people bashing the coach use the lack of tournament success as one of the biggest factors for the dissatisfaction. If there's one thing to boost morale for the average MU fan it's a deep tournament run. Not a regular season winning streak. Last season's 12-1 stretch was spoiled by a tournament loss. I'd easily take a handful of additional losses in there to get a win in the tournament.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:54:38 PM by Markusquette »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2020, 03:02:20 PM »
shooter

I agree on not being an expert on building a program. I respect anyone that wants more data points on Wojo before making a call on they feel about him. I would say that those who have enough data points to make a call should receive the same level of respect.

FYI--If you were seven in '77 you are too old to be in the young guns of scoop camp:)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2020, 03:10:41 PM »
Agreed on both points.  I feel older every day.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2020, 03:11:02 PM »
Would you rather:
End the season on a 10 game win streak, finish Second in the Big East, win a couple in NYC, get a 4 seed, and lose first round. or

Finish 8-10 in the league, get an 11 seed, win the first game, lose the second

Too lazy for or a poll, or its not poll worthy

Easy answer for me.

I'd take the elite 8 all day every day.

The benefit of the national spotlight for recruiting alone makes it the easy choice.

The fun and excitement of making a decent run is another reason the choice seems obvious.

It can also be taken as an indication that the players have developed over the course of the season, and the experience they gather from a decent run could carry over to the next season for the returning players.

Barring injuries, tournament success or failure can be a good measuring stick of a programs progress. It definitely deserves to be considered.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2020, 03:22:41 PM »
Easy answer for me.

I'd take the elite 8 all day every day.

The benefit of the national spotlight for recruiting alone makes it the easy choice.

The fun and excitement of making a decent run is another reason the choice seems obvious.

It can also be taken as an indication that the players have developed over the course of the season, and the experience they gather from a decent run could carry over to the next season for the returning players.

Barring injuries, tournament success or failure can be a good measuring stick of a programs progress. It definitely deserves to be considered.
ok, but my hypo didnt have Elite 8

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2020, 03:24:35 PM »
Maybe the title of these threads should be     OH the CRYING ! ! !  8-)

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2020, 03:34:25 PM »
ok, but my hypo didnt have Elite 8

Sorry, I meant to respond to another poster.

In your hypo I would go with B just so the Wojo can't win in the tourney trope would be put to rest.

I know another one would take its place but at least it would be new.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2020, 04:06:03 PM »
Option 1 every time.

It's 5 months of entertainment for me. I'd rather have a successful, entertaining 5 months that ends in a disappointing loss in March than a frustrating 5 months that ends in one successful week.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2020, 04:16:36 PM »
It’s official. Sultan has a whopper of a crush on JB.

Chili Man

I actually appreciate the "New and Improved" Sultan.

He is spot on saying that no one is "demanding perfection" and that also-ran mediocrity is unacceptable.

We all care passionately about Marquette basketball. Frankly, the program is of strategic importance to the University and its relevance in the national conversation. Anything less than sustained excellence harms the Marquette brand. And given the significant investment the University makes in the basketball program it deserves better results. 

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2020, 05:52:23 PM »
Chili Man

I actually appreciate the "New and Improved" Sultan.

He is spot on saying that no one is "demanding perfection" and that also-ran mediocrity is unacceptable.

We all care passionately about Marquette basketball. Frankly, the program is of strategic importance to the University and its relevance in the national conversation. Anything less than sustained excellence harms the Marquette brand. And given the significant investment the University makes in the basketball program it deserves better results.

Just gigging Sultan.

The university should demand more for its investment.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2020, 06:33:16 PM »
Just gigging Sultan.

The university should demand more for its investment.
How much more?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2020, 06:37:43 PM »
Crash

The new Sultan is taking no prisoners. He wants better results and not making excuses.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2020, 06:46:53 PM »
How much more?

At least Wojos first born.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2020, 06:48:41 PM »
Eye'm down wit Fluffy BM, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2020, 07:01:13 PM »
Eye'm down wit Fluffy BM, hey?
Me too, but I got to eat some grains to get that.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2020, 07:04:13 PM »
How much more?

More than zero tournament wins in a 6 year period. The opportunity to deliver is there for the taking! Let's cash in.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2020, 08:09:52 AM »
Titus and Tate talked about how annoying Marquette fans are on their podcast on Friday as well.  We are *that* fanbase.  Sad.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2020, 08:42:17 AM »
Titus and Tate talked about how annoying Marquette fans are on their podcast on Friday as well.  We are *that* fanbase.  Sad.

Are we supposed to care about Titus and Tate, and their tiny-ass audience?

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2020, 08:43:52 AM »
Who is Titus and Tate???  Why would/should we care what they say???   8-)

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2020, 08:48:17 AM »

Titus decided to die on a hill that was not based on any facts and had our #MUBB statisticians tear him a new one.

To be fair, at some point him dying on that hill definitely turned from "he legit believed what he was saying" to "let me see what I can continue to say to rile up these nerds".  And the nerds took the bait hook line and sinker.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2020, 09:15:27 AM »

Rob Dauster said the same thing over the summer. Honestly though I haven't seen a lot of interactions from MU fans with national personalities that is crazy or out of bounds (we reserve that for blue on blue engagements I guess). I've found a lot of the sports media types like to talk a big game but when MU folks come at them with info/data they fold
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2020, 09:42:55 AM »
Rob Dauster said the same thing over the summer. Honestly though I haven't seen a lot of interactions from MU fans with national personalities that is crazy or out of bounds (we reserve that for blue on blue engagements I guess). I've found a lot of the sports media types like to talk a big game but when MU folks come at them with info/data they fold

Yep.  All about the views/listens. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2020, 09:53:29 AM »
We're a great fanbase, nice and calm and rational ... and I'll break the effen neck of anybody who disagrees.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson