[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OH for Crying Out Loud  (Read 19454 times)

dgies9156

• All American
OH for Crying Out Loud
« on: January 25, 2020, 08:00:06 PM »
C'mon folks. We lost a game yesterday. Maybe we should have won it. But geez, does this mean that everytime we lose, Scoop will be loaded with "Fire Wojo" Moments. Let's wait until the season is over and see what might/can happen.

I think back to Coach McGuire and can only imagine what would happen if Scoop were around then:

On 1977: "Good Lord, Al is mailing it in! We haven't lose this many games since 1966. Why don't we just fire him now and be over it."

On 1974: "Al should be burned at the stake for those two technicals against NC State. No self respecting Catholic school allows that to happen! What an embarrassment!"

In 1976: "Al can't beat Bob Knight to save his life. We lost in 1973 and we lost now. Maybe we need a new coach who can get us to the promised land!

On 1970: "What was Al thinking? Turning down an NCAA bid? Is he out of his mind? Time for somebody who understands what we're about!

And on and on and on. I could go on all night with this. But the fact is coaches and teams have their ups and downs. We're going to lose games we should win and win games we should lose. But when the former happens, we don't hang signs wanting to fire the coach and we down throw our team under the bus.

Two things stand out. First, how many of you never made a mistake at work? Or as parents? Or students? I'm sure everyone in here has let another down on a more than a few occasions. How would you feel if there were dozens of people wanting your head?

Secondly, there is a time and place for program progress evaluation. It's not now. Like it or not, this is the horse we're riding on until March (or April?). Then and only then do we call for action!

Johnny B

• All American
Re: OH for Crying Out Loud
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 08:02:22 PM »
Yes. Every loss will come with fire wojo posts and threads.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 08:06:05 PM »
C'mon folks. We lost a game yesterday. Maybe we should have won it. But geez, does this mean that everytime we lose, Scoop will be loaded with "Fire Wojo" Moments. Let's wait until the season is over and see what might/can happen.

I think back to Coach McGuire and can only imagine what would happen if Scoop were around then:

On 1977: "Good Lord, Al is mailing it in! We haven't lose this many games since 1966. Why don't we just fire him now and be over it."

On 1974: "Al should be burned at the stake for those two technicals against NC State. No self respecting Catholic school allows that to happen! What an embarrassment!"

In 1976: "Al can't beat Bob Knight to save his life. We lost in 1973 and we lost now. Maybe we need a new coach who can get us to the promised land!

On 1970: "What was Al thinking? Turning down an NCAA bid? Is he out of his mind? Time for somebody who understands what we're about!

And on and on and on. I could go on all night with this. But the fact is coaches and teams have their ups and downs. We're going to lose games we should win and win games we should lose. But when the former happens, we don't hang signs wanting to fire the coach and we down throw our team under the bus.

Two things stand out. First, how many of you never made a mistake at work? Or as parents? Or students? I'm sure everyone in here has let another down on a more than a few occasions. How would you feel if there were dozens of people wanting your head?

Secondly, there is a time and place for program progress evaluation. It's not now. Like it or not, this is the horse we're riding on until March (or April?). Then and only then do we call for action!

<yawn>
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 08:08:55 PM »

Let's wait and see guy has entered the building. 

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 08:09:42 PM »
Look forward to the same post next year.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 08:13:25 PM »
Amazing watching the lunatics after a loss.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 08:14:02 PM »

Wojo has lost more games in conference every year (assuming we don’t go 9-1 to end the year) than Al did all season in any of the years you mentioned other than 77. I get you’re trying to make a point but absolute absurdity isn’t a good method.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 08:21:25 PM »
Wojo has lost more games in conference every year (assuming we don’t go 9-1 to end the year) than Al did all season in any of the years you mentioned other than 77. I get you’re trying to make a point but absolute absurdity isn’t a good method.

His point was the lunatics here would bitch about winning the lottery having to pay taxes.

Some people are perpetually miserable and entitled.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 08:27:19 PM »
His point was the lunatics here would bitch about winning the lottery having to pay taxes.

Some people are perpetually miserable and entitled.

Entitled? Come on man. You’re happy with Marquette’s results? If you’re fine with also-ran status with occasional at-best conference championships and sporadic (If at all) tourney success because we’re not on probation and kids seem to graduate, good for you.

But people wanting more, that have seen more be done here (not in the 70s, but in the last decade) doesn’t make them miserable or entitled. It makes them fans. There are the few who will only appear when losses happen. But there are plenty like me who post here every damn day and celebrate when we win that are still like “WTF” when troubling trends and results continue. There is a realm between Pollyanna and miserable and it’s beyond insulting to continue broad brush those not perfectly aligned with you.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:35:59 PM by JWags85 »

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 08:34:52 PM »
Entitled? Come on man. You’re happy with Marquette’s results? If you’re fine with also-ran status with occasional conference championships and sporadic (If at all) tourney success because we’re not on probation and kids seem to graduate, good for you.

But people wanting more, that have seen more be done here (not in the 70s, but in the last decade) doesn’t make them miserable or entitled. It makes them fans. There are the few who will only appear when losses happen. But there are plenty like me who post here every damn day and celebrate when we win that are still like “WTF” when troubling trends and results continue. There is a realm between Pollyanna and miserable and it’s beyond insulting to continue broad brush those not perfectly aligned with you.

+1,000,000

Pakuni

• All American

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 08:42:36 PM »
Entitled? Come on man. You’re happy with Marquette’s results? If you’re fine with also-ran status with occasional at-best conference championships and sporadic (If at all) tourney success because we’re not on probation and kids seem to graduate, good for you.

The fact is that three of the last four Marquette coaches accomplished more, at a younger age and in less time, than Wojo has had here.  This version of MU basketball is exceedingly frustrating compared to the past 25 years plus.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 08:46:11 PM »

You're entitled weirdos that demand near perfection from a college basket ball team. 20 year olds throwing a ball through a hoop. you just bitch and moan if we dont have duke like seasons it seems. Every damn loss. This team has potential to have a great year. Awesome class coming in. Wtf you want. I'm a bucks fan but if they don't finish 850. And make the finals every year I'm gonna bitch and moan about the team and coaches. Gtfo

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 08:54:05 PM »
Yeah anybody who doesn’t think Marquette fans are entitled are just blinded by their own entitlement.

There’s a reason Dauster, Norlander, and Parish all say some version of it and how annoying it is.

It’s kind of embarrassing really.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 08:55:18 PM »
That was strange and awkward.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 08:56:17 PM »
You're entitled weirdos that demand near perfection from a college basket ball team. 20 year olds throwing a ball through a hoop. you just bitch and moan if we dont have duke like seasons it seems. Every damn loss.

This is false.  You are lying. 

I fully expect Marquette to lose games.  I don't really expect conference championships or Final Four appearances.  However I do expect teams that play hard and to be well coached.  Not coached by a guy who forgets the score and stands around when adjustments need to be made.

The fact is that in terms of conference and NCAA success, this is the LEAST successful stretch we have had in a long time.  And no, this team does not have potential to have a great year.

Wags is a level-headed guy who doesn't just go off on every loss.  I think he, like me, has just reached the end of his rope.  I've lost faith in the guy.  Recruiting victories don't mean much if the guy coaching them can't do the job.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 08:59:53 PM »
Yeah anybody who doesn’t think Marquette fans are entitled are just blinded by their own entitlement.

There’s a reason Dauster, Norlander, and Parish all say some version of it and how annoying it is.

What’s really embarrassing is when your coach forgets the score at the end of regulation. 

We’re all so unreasonable and entitled. Spare me

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 09:00:00 PM »

Parish? Ha, haa, Haaaa, Haha,

When you look up embarrassing in the dictionary,  Parish picture is there.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2020, 09:02:21 PM »

Recruiting victories don't mean much if the guy coaching them can't do the job.

Precisely

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 09:02:37 PM »
Parish? Ha, haa, Haaaa, Haha,

When you look up embarrassing in the dictionary,  Parish picture is there.

You’re right. We should wear it like a badge of honor.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 09:08:00 PM »
I for one, don't give two craps what Dauster, Norlander or Parrish think about the Marquette fanbase.  If they think we are "entitled," so be it.  The idea that that label would "embarrass" anyone is laughable.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2020, 09:11:25 PM »

They say stuff about Marquette because any time a fact is wrong or there’s a perceived slight, MU fans let them know about it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 09:12:41 PM »
I for one, don't give two craps what Dauster, Norlander or Parrish think about the Marquette fanbase.  If they think we are "entitled," so be it.  The idea that that label would "embarrass" anyone is laughable.

<yawn>

They say stuff about Marquette because any time a fact is wrong or there’s a perceived slight, MU fans let them know about it.

Yes I understand that. And the fact that MU fans can’t take someone leaving their beloved program outside the top 25 or calling it like it is (MU isn’t some elite program) the pitchforks come out.

What’s funny is they get all up in arms when those guys “slight” MU, but then come on MUScoop and cry about Wojo not getting it done. Very bipolar.

It’s embarrassing.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 09:15:12 PM by manesworld »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2020, 09:15:31 PM »

This is false.  You are lying. 

I fully expect Marquette to lose games.  I don't really expect conference championships or Final Four appearances.  However I do expect teams that play hard and to be well coached.  Not coached by a guy who forgets the score and stands around when adjustments need to be made.

The fact is that in terms of conference and NCAA success, this is the LEAST successful stretch we have had in a long time.  And no, this team does not have potential to have a great year.

Wags is a level-headed guy who doesn't just go off on every loss.  I think he, like me, has just reached the end of his rope.  I've lost faith in the guy.  Recruiting victories don't mean much if the guy coaching them can't do the job.
Lmao I am not lying. It's just the vibe IT SEEMS you and others are putting out there. And you're being disingenuous saying they have no potential to have a great year. What kind of fan is that? Well of course they could have a great year! Wtf are you talking about? they could also lose 75 percent of the remaining games. Well see

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2020, 09:23:18 PM »
Lmao I am not lying. It's just the vibe IT SEEMS you and others are putting out there. And you're being disingenuous saying they have no potential to have a great year. What kind of fan is that? Well of course they could have a great year! Wtf are you talking about? they could also lose 75 percent of the remaining games. Well see

You’re lying. No one is “demanding perfection” from a basketball team.

feedback