[Today at 10:54:04 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Fire Wojo signs in the dorms  (Read 52225 times)

Silent Verbal

• All American
Re: Fire Wojo signs in the dorms
« Reply #200 on: January 26, 2020, 07:09:51 PM »
Baldwin made numerous tough shots. It happens.

I seem to recall Wade in the NBA finals against the Spurs going on an even more amazing run. I guess Popovich is the same quality of coach as Wojo.

You talk about people having agendas, but no one’s agenda is more obvious than your own.  You find zero fault in anything Wojo does and will defend him no matter what.  You have this dumb notion that you need to white knight for Wojo, because if you don’t Mane will decide to go elsewhere.  It doesn’t matter, Joe.  Mane and other recruits don’t care about Scoop.  You aren’t making a difference.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #201 on: January 26, 2020, 07:13:51 PM »
Nice try at avoiding the point.

If you really didn't care about rankings and all you cared about was ultimate success, you wouldn't be constantly pushing for Wojo to be replaced.

A blind man could see the potential this team has.

Wojo has the team competing this year despite some major adversity, and has assembled a potential top ten recruiting class for next year. Of course he gets no credit for that from people like you.

Like I said. You are a fraud.

Wojo has lost 2 games this year alone, to his poor coaching skills (and others in years past).  After 21 years of Division I experience, 15 of those with the greatest college basketball coach of all time, you should know basic defensive strategy - ie double teaming the 1 guy on the court who's lighting you up.  That's basic high school coaching strategy there.  The game shouldn't have even come down to that embarrassing moment where Wojo lost track of the score.  *Insert Curb Your Enthusiasm Theme Music Here*

You want a Kenpom rating

I want W's

#WhoaJoeDoesntKnowBasketball

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #202 on: January 26, 2020, 07:21:33 PM »
You are too much. Chico's on steroids.

Forgetting  the score was a huge factor. They were one defensive stop from stealing a huge win.

What?  Butler had the ball with the shot clock off and a tie game.  They were one defensive stop from getting the game to overtime.  The best case scenario for Marquette at that point was to get to overtime.  Marquette got to overtime.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #203 on: January 26, 2020, 07:24:40 PM »
You talk about people having agendas, but no one’s agenda is more obvious than your own.  You find zero fault in anything Wojo does and will defend him no matter what.  You have this dumb notion that you need to white knight for Wojo, because if you don’t Mane will decide to go elsewhere.  It doesn’t matter, Joe.  Mane and other recruits don’t care about Scoop.  You aren’t making a difference.

Really?  WhoaJoe’s White knight act could make all the difference in the world.

In fact, if Karim Mane does sign with MU, it is likely on commit day Karim will reference WhoaJoe, as having played a big part in his decision.  We are fortunate to have WhoaJoe in our fanbase and on Scoop.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #204 on: January 26, 2020, 07:31:24 PM »
What?  Butler had the ball with the shot clock off and a tie game.  They were one defensive stop from getting the game to overtime.  The best case scenario for Marquette at that point was to get to overtime.  Marquette got to overtime.
Correct my bad. Could have lost them the game, didn t directly

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #205 on: January 26, 2020, 07:51:37 PM »
Wojo's mistake would have been an afterthought if MU ended up winning in OT.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2020, 08:02:15 PM »

You obviously don't read closely. I just ripped Wojo in another post for not getting a T when Markus got put to the floor. A coach not aggressively standing up for his players is a far bigger flaw than not being aware of the score in one instance that ultimately did not affect the outcome of the game.

I've also criticized him for how he handles Markus. I think he's using him as a recruiting tool. I understand things from his point of view and from Markus' point of view. The chances of Markus being the catalyst for a win or a loss is a 50-50 proposition, so why not ride him and let him showcase his skills for the NBA scouts. The fact that by giving Markus the ultimate green light Wojo is possibly attracting top recruits, makes it even more reasonable. That doesn't mean it makes what he's doing right.

Unfortunately, graduating players into the NBA is  an important factor in recruiting, and the only way Markus is making it in the league is by showcasing his offensive ability. It sucks, but it's reality.

Markus' high usage has worn him down in the past, and I see the writing on the wall this season as well. If Greg wasn't hurt, and Symir wasn't a defensive liability Wojo may have reduced Markus' load this year. I guess we'll never know.
It doesn't change the fact that Markus has been doing too much for too long. Wojos whiff on Chartouny last year was another mistake I criticized him for. That mistake led  directly to Markus having to carry an undue burden, and his late season fade.

In short, Wojo does things that irritate me, but they aren't game breakers, and they certainly aren't as trivial as a fairly meaningless in game decision.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2020, 08:04:28 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7wtLOyHY16/

If I were Coach Wojo and staff, knock on this person’s dorm room.  Say hello, bring a pizza and maybe a few players to have a dialogue.  Thank them for being passionate for the team.  Do it in good taste.  Invite them to a practice or behind the scenes opportunity to see what goes into coaching.  Maybe both sides can learn something. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2020, 08:17:02 PM »
Really?  WhoaJoe’s White knight act could make all the difference in the world.

In fact, if Karim Mane does sign with MU, it is likely on commit day Karim will reference WhoaJoe, as having played a big part in his decision.  We are fortunate to have WhoaJoe in our fanbase and on Scoop.

How ironically clueless can you be.

Karin Manes decision is far more likely to be influenced by children scribbling nasty things on message board walls, and putting up signs in dorm windows.

I'm basically here to suggest that during an important season and recruiting period those children should refrain from acting on their childish impulses. At least until Mane is signed and Marquettes tournament fate has been decided.

I'm no white knight but you and some others are definitely black knights.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2020, 08:48:45 PM »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #210 on: January 26, 2020, 09:21:25 PM »
Good lord...to even remotely equivocate Dukiet to Wojo for someone of your “caliber” is pathetic.  But maybe as the ultra alum big booster you are...you can make a difference.

Correct.  Dukiet, despite being a horrible coach, was far more interesting.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #211 on: January 26, 2020, 09:25:33 PM »

True.  To date Wojo has demonstrated no ability to play the piano let alone the more difficult skill of carrying a tune.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #212 on: January 26, 2020, 09:37:13 PM »
Wojo has lost 2 games this year alone, to his poor coaching skills (and others in years past).  After 21 years of Division I experience, 15 of those with the greatest college basketball coach of all time, you should know basic defensive strategy - ie double teaming the 1 guy on the court who's lighting you up.  That's basic high school coaching strategy there.  The game shouldn't have even come down to that embarrassing moment where Wojo lost track of the score.  *Insert Curb Your Enthusiasm Theme Music Here*

You want a Kenpom rating

I want W's

#WhoaJoeDoesntKnowBasketball

Thanks, Deaner. Now I have the "Curb" theme song in my head.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #213 on: January 26, 2020, 09:47:51 PM »
You obviously don't read closely. I just ripped Wojo in another post for not getting a T when Markus got put to the floor. A coach not aggressively standing up for his players is a far bigger flaw than not being aware of the score in one instance that ultimately did not affect the outcome of the game.

I've also criticized him for how he handles Markus. I think he's using him as a recruiting tool. I understand things from his point of view and from Markus' point of view. The chances of Markus being the catalyst for a win or a loss is a 50-50 proposition, so why not ride him and let him showcase his skills for the NBA scouts. The fact that by giving Markus the ultimate green light Wojo is possibly attracting top recruits, makes it even more reasonable. That doesn't mean it makes what he's doing right.

Unfortunately, graduating players into the NBA is  an important factor in recruiting, and the only way Markus is making it in the league is by showcasing his offensive ability. It sucks, but it's reality.

Markus' high usage has worn him down in the past, and I see the writing on the wall this season as well. If Greg wasn't hurt, and Symir wasn't a defensive liability Wojo may have reduced Markus' load this year. I guess we'll never know.
It doesn't change the fact that Markus has been doing too much for too long. Wojos whiff on Chartouny last year was another mistake I criticized him for. That mistake led  directly to Markus having to carry an undue burden, and his late season fade.

In short, Wojo does things that irritate me, but they aren't game breakers, and they certainly aren't as trivial as a fairly meaningless in game decision.

So 2 things. It's pretty clear Howard didn't get smacked in the head by an elbow.

Getting a T would have severly hurt Marquettes chances.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #214 on: January 26, 2020, 09:49:58 PM »
With all this talk about rankings you'd think we should hang a banner.

With all this negative talk after a loss. You’d think we should just cancel the season.

#terribletake

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #215 on: January 26, 2020, 10:00:32 PM »
So 2 things. It's pretty clear Howard didn't get smacked in the head by an elbow.

Talk to tower and others who have it on dvr. Baddleys right elbow caught Markus on the right side of the head. Not only did he hit him, I personally believe it was intentional and it should have been reviewed as a flagrant foul.

The foul happened with over 15 minutes left in the game and Marquette had a decent lead.

Did you even watch the game??

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #216 on: January 26, 2020, 10:10:33 PM »
You are too much. Chico's on steroids.

Forgetting  the score was a huge factor. They were one defensive stop from stealing a huge win.

Not sure I understand.  Forgetting the score was a huge boner, but if we do stop them we are still going to OT most likely.  Depending on when they took the shot, if they missed we go to OT 68-68....what am I missing?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2020, 10:12:05 PM »

Some of you have lost your minds, but your comments don't surprise me. I remember some of our fans admitting Crean had done some things no one not named McGuire had done at MU, but they would rather have Deane because he drank with them after the games at Turners.  Truly amazing stuff.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:13:42 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2020, 03:52:35 AM »
By all means, give credence to a statistical format that increases your ranking after a loss when the team you lose to is missing both of its starting guards and the backup scorches you. 

Are you referring to the Butler game here? Cause they were only missing one starter. They were also missing a backup but he has never started a game and is 7th on the team in minutes played.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2020, 03:59:37 AM »

He did get elbowed by Baddley. That is a fact. The emphasis Whoa Joe is putting on it? That is a lot less than a fact.

I agree with you on the T. I've never been a ref but I feel like a coach going off on them doesn't have any meaningful impact on how the game is called. Maybe I'm wrong, I know a lot of people think its an important strategy. I could maybe see the value in a home game just to get the crowd riled up but have hard time that it is worth more than 2 likely points and an extra possession for the opponent.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #220 on: January 27, 2020, 06:10:41 AM »
Not sure I understand.  Forgetting the score was a huge boner, but if we do stop them we are still going to OT most likely.  Depending on when they took the shot, if they missed we go to OT 68-68....what am I missing?
You are missing about 12 posts up.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #221 on: January 27, 2020, 06:35:35 AM »
Talk to tower and others who have it on dvr. Baddleys right elbow caught Markus on the right side of the head. Not only did he hit him, I personally believe it was intentional and it should have been reviewed as a flagrant foul.

The foul happened with over 15 minutes left in the game and Marquette had a decent lead.

Did you even watch the game??

Well, its 2020. So I absolutely don't need to talk to anyone with a DVR. I can just see it myself at anytime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BOvh9yaDE0 (4:32)

Slow it down to .25 to see very clearly that...

1. It wasnt intentional at all, your dumb. 
2. You can clearly see Baddley's right elbow the entire time he is in the air.
3. The elbow never goes off screen, meaning it never made contact with Markus.
4. Markus' head is clearly past Baddley's right side, for contact with a right elbow baddley had to have swung it inwards, he didn't.
5. Markus' never recoils from a blow to the face one would do if an elbow hit him at full speed.
6. In fact he doesn't show any sign of being hit until he makes contact with the chair. Where he recoils instantly.
7. At most he may have got him with groin or knee that sent him flying
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:37:25 AM by #UnleashJayce »

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #222 on: January 27, 2020, 06:42:05 AM »
He shouldn't be fired.

But we've also been in the Top 25 for a total of three months out of 5+ years and that's not okay either.  Neither is zero tourney wins in that period. 

Some people are going to need to accept that the above is going to cause unrest within the fanbase.  And it's on Wojo to fix it.  Now.

This! +100,000

Like it or not success is measured in rankings, conference titles (regular season &. Tournament) and NCAA wins

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #223 on: January 27, 2020, 09:13:00 AM »
This! +100,000

Like it or not success is measured in rankings, conference titles (regular season &. Tournament) and NCAA wins

That's a bit misleading. You can't do a month to year comparison when there's no ranking 7/8 months of the year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #224 on: January 27, 2020, 10:16:24 AM »
Well, its 2020. So I absolutely don't need to talk to anyone with a DVR. I can just see it myself at anytime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BOvh9yaDE0 (4:32)

Slow it down to .25 to see very clearly that...

1. It wasnt intentional at all, your dumb. 
2. You can clearly see Baddley's right elbow the entire time he is in the air.
3. The elbow never goes off screen, meaning it never made contact with Markus.
4. Markus' head is clearly past Baddley's right side, for contact with a right elbow baddley had to have swung it inwards, he didn't.
5. Markus' never recoils from a blow to the face one would do if an elbow hit him at full speed.
6. In fact he doesn't show any sign of being hit until he makes contact with the chair. Where he recoils instantly.
7. At most he may have got him with groin or knee that sent him flying

I know what I saw and others have reviewed it on dvr and observed the same thing.

Do you think I would listen to somebody who thinks that a coach drawing a technical with over 15 minutes left in the game and a decent lead would have severely hurt Marquettes chances of winning???

You lost all credibility right there.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:22:56 AM by WhoaJoe2020 »