[Today at 04:59:57 AM]

WKU by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 04:00:58 AM]

Selection Sunday article from the Bowling Green Daily News by real chili 83
[Today at 03:25:41 AM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Bracketology: Final Thoughts by 1SE
[Today at 02:29:56 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Fire Wojo signs in the dorms  (Read 51952 times)

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
Re: Fire Wojo signs in the dorms
« Reply #175 on: January 26, 2020, 04:33:40 PM »
This "soft" MU team that "doesn't play hard" leads the Big East in rebounds per game, is 3rd in free throw attempts per game (0.2 attempts per game behind 2nd), 3rd in blocks per game, and tied for 3rd in defensive field goal percentage.

The only thing soft about Marquette is their fanbase.

Is the team perfect?  No.  Is the coach perfect?  No.  Yet they're 26 in KenPom and 25 in the NET rankings.  Some people here act like this team is 1-7 in conference play and like the Big East is a mid major.

I am asking this in all seriousness, what do do these metrics look like excluding the non -conference schedule?  Ex the cupcakes do we look even close to this good?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2020, 04:46:51 PM »
This is why I never buy the "I'm not upset we lost, I'm upset we got blown out" argument after games like Maryland and Creighton. It doesn't matter if we get blown out, or lose in OT on the road to one of the top teams in conference. Honestly, I think those close losses often feel worse.

You can come out of a loss encouraged, and you can come out of a win with concerns. It's an important skill to be able to look at more than the final score when evaluating a team's performance. We had a colossally bad 2.5 minutes to end that game. The fact that we could have that bad of a 2.5 minutes and lose in OT means that the rest of the game was played very well. Keep the good, learn from the bad. I'm still feeling 6-4 or 7-3 to finish the season with a 5-7 seed at the end.

This is where I stand right now.  Just watched the game for the first time.   I was encouraged by how they played, obviously with the exception of the last 2:00 minutes of regulation.  Let’s let this season play out.  At the beginning of the season many people said it was going to be a roller coaster ride and it is.  I think we have some very high highs ahead of us with a couple more lows. Ultimately though they’ll make the tournament and hopefully they’ll do something with that opportunity.  Don’t give up on this team yet.  They may surprise you in the end.   

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2020, 06:12:49 PM »
With all this talk about rankings you'd think we should hang a banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2020, 06:14:30 PM »

Or you’d think fans would be somewhere in the stratosphere of level headed about losing an OT game to a very good Butler game on the road.

But nah. We Are Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2020, 06:16:58 PM »

When will the Fiserv hoist the "Top 25 Kenpom Finish" Banner?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2020, 06:19:12 PM »

The stupidity with some of you is grand. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2020, 06:20:12 PM »

Yeah, I would rather we were ranked around 80th, won the conference tournament and somehow won a tournament game since that’s all that matters.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2020, 06:20:40 PM »
Or you’d think fans would be somewhere in the stratosphere of level headed about losing an OT game to a very good Butler game on the road.

But nah. We Are Marquette.

Just keep in mind, this was a Butler team playing without the best defender in the Big East and also their 2nd best defender. And MU lost the game...
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2020, 06:23:21 PM »
Yeah, I would rather we were ranked around 80th, won the conference tournament and somehow won a tournament game since that’s all that matters.

I'd rather they would not have lost a game at home to an incredibly mediocre Providence team, and not blown a game with 2:30 minutes to go to a team that had lost 3 in a row and were playing without the BE's best defender. That's what I would rather...and then I would really like to see where the pomeroy was then.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2020, 06:24:32 PM »
Just keep in mind, this was a Butler team playing without the best defender in the Big East and also their 2nd best defender. And MU lost the game...

It was their once chance to defeat a "ranked" team on the road but coach blew it - not once, but several times.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2020, 06:25:44 PM »

This just demonstrates what a fraud you are.

Marquettes best chance of hanging another banner in the near future is Wojo and this incoming class of recruits. Including Mane.

You don't really give a shat about Marquette.

All you care about is your agenda.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2020, 06:29:22 PM »
Nice job tonight Mick Cronin  :o

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2020, 06:32:44 PM »
It was their once chance to defeat a "ranked" team on the road but coach blew it - not once, but several times.

Really?  We have no chance to beat Villanova on the road?  Hmm.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #188 on: January 26, 2020, 06:34:52 PM »
This just demonstrates what a fraud you are.

Marquettes best chance of hanging another banner in the near future is Wojo and this incoming class of recruits. Including Mane.

You don't really give a shat about Marquette.

All you care about is your agenda.

By all means, give credence to a statistical format that increases your ranking after a loss when the team you lose to is missing both of its starting guards and the backup scorches you. 

Then again, you're of the mindset where if MU beat UNC at the Fiserv, you'd rush the court this year.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #189 on: January 26, 2020, 06:37:18 PM »
This is the very definition of entitled.  And it’s utter nonsense.

Get it through your head that he doesn’t owe you, or any other fan, anything.

This obviously went way over your head....there was a specific reason I posted this, and it's not for the reasons you think...it was trying to highlight something else.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2020, 06:37:36 PM »

Just keep in mind Marquette was on the road playing with a depleted roster due to transfers, injury, and a mid season departure.

There's also the inconsequential matter of Markus taking a shot to the head and disappearing the last 15 minutes of the game.

Of course Baldwin shouldn't have been a factor. He's an average player and didn't make any difficult shots in the game.

So yeah, Marquette definitely should have won.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #191 on: January 26, 2020, 06:42:38 PM »
Only problem with totally ignoring is that the nonsense goes totally unchallenged when a lot of it needs challenging.

YOU say/think it's NONsense. Who/what makes you the authority on what is or isn't nonsense?? You don't decide what is or isn't nonsense?? If you were/are, then 99.8% of the stuff you post wouldn't be posted. It is the EXACT definition of nonsense.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #192 on: January 26, 2020, 06:44:16 PM »
Just keep in mind Marquette was on the road playing with a depleted roster due to transfers, injury, and a mid season departure.

There's also the inconsequential matter of Markus taking a shot to the head and disappearing the last 15 minutes of the game.

Of course Baldwin shouldn't have been a factor. He's an average player and didn't make any difficult shots in the game.

So yeah, Marquette definitely should have won.

Marquette had an 87% chance of winning with two minutes to go.  Our coach forgot the score.

We should have won.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #193 on: January 26, 2020, 06:46:04 PM »

B U L L S H I T

Just as Al McGuire said, the expectations just get stupider.  Crean went to a Final Four, did that stop any of you from giving a pass when we went to the NIT the next two years?  Absolutely not....it turned up the juice.  You guys are ridiculous with your memories and I am concerned for your health based on the lack of memories you have.

"I hate everything about this job except the games," McGuire says. "Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me. I don't know why exactly. Maybe it's the fear, the fear of then having to repeat. You win once, then they expect you to win again.

"Wait'll you see what happens to Bobby Knight now that he's won.
On the other hand, I found out when I got those two technicals in the NCAA finals that people sympathized with me for making an ass out of myself. I get 35 million people looking at me, I can't help it, I immediately become an ass. People relate to that”

Al McGuire 1976

Incredibly fragile

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #194 on: January 26, 2020, 06:46:36 PM »
By all means, give credence to a statistical format that increases your ranking after a loss when the team you lose to is missing both of its starting guards and the backup scorches you. 

Then again, you're of the mindset where if MU beat UNC at the Fiserv, you'd rush the court this year.

Nice try at avoiding the point.

If you really didn't care about rankings and all you cared about was ultimate success, you wouldn't be constantly pushing for Wojo to be replaced.

A blind man could see the potential this team has.

Wojo has the team competing this year despite some major adversity, and has assembled a potential top ten recruiting class for next year. Of course he gets no credit for that from people like you.

Like I said. You are a fraud.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #195 on: January 26, 2020, 06:48:52 PM »
After the bid that will almost certainly come this year, Wojo for the most part has done all of that outside of NCAA wins. Obviously that’s the most important part, but how about we see how this tournament goes before we declare 0-2 means he’s unable to win games in March as a head coach.

Agreed. He has the opportunity to erase that narrative this year. Let's see it happen! I think he can, and I hope he does. But until it happens the narrative is justified.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #196 on: January 26, 2020, 06:50:51 PM »
Marquette had an 87% chance of winning with two minutes to go.  Our coach forgot the score.

We should have won.

You actually believe that was the key moment in the game???

ROTFLMFAO

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #197 on: January 26, 2020, 06:52:11 PM »
You actually believe that was the key moment in the game???

No.  Didn't say that.  His inability to make defensive adjustments was the main reason.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #198 on: January 26, 2020, 07:00:58 PM »

No.  Didn't say that.  His inability to make defensive adjustments was the main reason.

Baldwin made numerous tough shots. It happens.

I seem to recall Wade in the NBA finals against the Spurs going on an even more amazing run. I guess Popovich is the same quality of coach as Wojo.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #199 on: January 26, 2020, 07:09:17 PM »
Baldwin made numerous tough shots. It happens.

I seem to recall Wade in the NBA finals against the Spurs going on an even more amazing run. I guess Popovich is the same quality of coach as Wojo.
You are too much. Chico's on steroids.

Forgetting  the score was a huge factor. They were one defensive stop from stealing a huge win. 

feedback