[Today at 02:47:50 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by MUbiz
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Point guard or big by Jockey
[Today at 11:37:56 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:25:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire Wojo signs in the dorms  (Read 52800 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Fire Wojo signs in the dorms
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2020, 01:01:45 PM »
Not to nitpick, but 353 schools.....25th out of 353.

Around 300 of them we should be better than even in our worst years. Sorry that I don’t compare us to a SWAC or A-Sun program.

We’ve been embarrassed by two second level Big Ten teams. Our best non con win was against an ok USC team, ranked 51 in KenPom.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2020, 01:03:54 PM »
Around 300 of them we should be better than even in our worst years. Sorry that I don’t compare us to a SWAC or A-Sun program.

We’ve been embarrassed by two second level Big Ten teams. Our best non con win was against an ok USC team, ranked 51 in KenPom.

I don’t disagree, but the 347 number was inaccurate. 

Why are you mentioning the USC win at 51 when we also beat Purdue who is ranked 20th?

Maryland is currently ranked 9th and 4th place in the Big Ten, I didn’t realize that made them second level team.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2020, 01:09:27 PM »

End of the day, right now we are 30 in the country.  I tend to feel 30ish will be the ceiling for Wojo as a coach, but if he can keep it there, get us to an occasional Sweet 16, thats good enough for me.

Sad.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2020, 01:11:34 PM »
Sad.

1970’s....it was good to be alive.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2020, 01:13:17 PM »

Why are you mentioning the USC win at 51 when we also beat Purdue who is ranked 20th?

Maryland is currently ranked 9th and 4th place in the Big Ten, I didn’t realize that made them second level team.

I think he was talking about the Badgers. 

Purdue is 20th in Kenpom, but do you honestly think they’re the 20th best team in the country?  I’ve watched them several times this year and think they’re mediocre.  They don’t have any standout players and their half court offense vs Marquette was abysmal.  I think they’ll struggle to make the tournament.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2020, 01:15:25 PM »
GROSS. Happy with 6-8 seeds and an occasional S16 when we have the facilities, budget, history, and conference we do? When our previous coach made 3 consecutive S16s. That sort of complacency kills programs. Year 6 of maddening inconsistency and no tournament wins, what’s occasional S16 then? Once a decade?

And Wojo has shown himself to be a good recruiter. But you need to string together multiple Top 10 classes to dream of tournament success with a “roll the ball out” coach.

I’m not suggesting Wojo he fired immediately, but justifying performances like last night away with that kind of perspective is cringey

Wags

As you well know, Wojo is paid millions of dollars to do what he does. I think it's very fair to ask are we getting the ROI we expect for that investment.

Someone suggested the student signs would "hurt" Wojo's feelings. What that poster needs to know is that Wojo couldn't give a damn about the feelings of any student. And no student should give a damn about the feelings of a guy getting paid millions to manage teenaged boys running around in underwear.

I am with you - Wojo is paid millions and been given a platform which from a resources and heritage stand point should be a springboard for sustained success. To date there has been no success. The shareholders deserve better.

Death on call

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2020, 01:15:38 PM »

Purdue isn’t that good and won’t make the dance. Under .500 in conference. Numbers don't reflect their mediocrity. Outside of the MSU game, their best wins are against teams now firmly on the Bible.

Maryland is second level in the Big Ten. Watching them against Indiana right now. They aren’t going to win the conference. That’s second level to me.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2020, 01:23:20 PM »
fjm

Do you think we are the 25th best team in the country? I understand this a whacky college ball season, but there are a lot more than 24 teams that we would have a “loss penciled in” and touting a close loss.

I think we are probably 30th to be completely honest. So I get what you are saying.

Here is my question. What rating should we be using?

Some here would have said later year we weren’t as good as our AP poll rating at times. Some would say our NET rating or our KenPom ratings aren’t right. So what rating system should we be using?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2020, 01:27:30 PM »
Purdue isn’t that good and won’t make the dance. Under .500 in conference. Numbers don't reflect their mediocrity. Outside of the MSU game, their best wins are against teams now firmly on the Bible.

Maryland is second level in the Big Ten. Watching them against Indiana right now. They aren’t going to win the conference. That’s second level to me.

Purdue may not make it, but if you are going to cherry pick and say USC is our best win with 51st ranking, you don’t get to ignore the 20 by Purdue. 

So is the Big Ten the winner of the conference 1st level, everyone else is second level?  I’m not sure that is what you are saying, so can you clarify?

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2020, 01:28:43 PM »
So first it's he hasn't won in March then it'd be Wojo only wins the easy March games? Honestly just admit you won't be happy till Wojo is out.

He/she isn't the only one.

I'm guessing a few are trolls, a couple are Buzzites, and several are Hauser loyalists. They expose themselves after every loss. Their hatred and biases toward Wojo are obvious to a rational mind.

They're all going to have to suck eggs because Wojo isn't going anywhere.

You don't get to be defensive player of the year by giving up.

Everything has been leading to this year and the next. The Hausers leaving threw a wrench into this year and Marquette is still competing. Next year, IF Mane decides to commit, things could get very interesting.

Do some idyits think Wojo is going to get fired or leave when Marquette is still contending this year and will field another strong team next year???

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2020, 01:29:32 PM »
Wags

As you well know, Wojo is paid millions of dollars to do what he does. I think it's very fair to ask are we getting the ROI we expect for that investment.

Someone suggested the student signs would "hurt" Wojo's feelings. What that poster needs to know is that Wojo couldn't give a damn about the feelings of any student. And no student should give a damn about the feelings of a guy getting paid millions to manage teenaged boys running around in underwear.

I am with you - Wojo is paid millions and been given a platform which from a resources and heritage stand point should be a springboard for sustained success. To date there has been no success. The shareholders deserve better.
Where have u been. I thought u were dead

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2020, 01:30:37 PM »
I love the NoJos. “You can’t count Purdue because they are overrated. You can’t count USC because they stink. So when you take away the Nova (I assume that was what was meant, not “MSU”), MU hasn’t beat anyone!”

Yeah. No sheot. If you write off every good win a team has, they haven’t won anything. What a revelation!

Try to write them off all you want. MU is 3-5 in Q1 games and 5-0 in Q2 games. If it helps you feel better to dismiss the quality wins the team you claim to be a fan of has, so be it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 01:33:10 PM by manesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2020, 01:31:17 PM »

I'm guessing a few are trolls, a couple are Buzzites, and several are Hauser loyalists. They expose themselves after every loss. Their hatred and biases toward Wojo are obvious to a rational mind.

Everything has been leading to this year and the next. The Hausers leaving threw a wrench into this year and Marquette is still competing. Next year, IF Mane decides to commit, things could get very interesting.

Do some idyits think Wojo is going to get fired or leave when Marquette is still contending this year and will field another strong team next year???

A few are Badger fans...that stuff isn’t tolerated at al on Badger boards...they weed that out quickly.  Yes, I have no doubt some are Hauserites, some hate Duke and Wojo from years gone past, some are stuck in a different century, and some still think it’s going to be an easy change and just hire someone else.  God Bless them all.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2020, 01:31:59 PM »
Where have u been. I thought u were dead

I had heard the mods killed him....welcome back Keefe. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2020, 01:33:12 PM »
This is why I never buy the "I'm not upset we lost, I'm upset we got blown out" argument after games like Maryland and Creighton. It doesn't matter if we get blown out, or lose in OT on the road to one of the top teams in conference. Honestly, I think those close losses often feel worse.

You can come out of a loss encouraged, and you can come out of a win with concerns. It's an important skill to be able to look at more than the final score when evaluating a team's performance. We had a colossally bad 2.5 minutes to end that game. The fact that we could have that bad of a 2.5 minutes and lose in OT means that the rest of the game was played very well. Keep the good, learn from the bad. I'm still feeling 6-4 or 7-3 to finish the season with a 5-7 seed at the end.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2020, 01:35:04 PM »
TAMU
Up with the new baby?

Yep. Like her dad she is a night owl. Practically sleeps from 6am-12am straight and then is wide awake from 12:01-6am
TAMU

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2020, 01:36:59 PM »

Preach.  However, you failed to add:  or being unwilling to slap the floor.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2020, 01:40:47 PM »
Purdue may not make it, but if you are going to cherry pick and say USC is our best win with 51st ranking, you don’t get to ignore the 20 by Purdue. 

So is the Big Ten the winner of the conference 1st level, everyone else is second level?  I’m not sure that is what you are saying, so can you clarify?

Do you think Purdue is actually #20? I’d wager USC over Purdue if they met. Purdue is being inflated by wins against two teams who are not as good was thought.  Plus, SC was a neutral site win.

Remember, Maryland lost to Powell-less Seton Hall. That makes them second level BT (after MSU) in my opinion.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #168 on: January 26, 2020, 01:41:58 PM »
Preach.  However, you failed to add:  or being unwilling to slap the floor.

Look, there's one now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #169 on: January 26, 2020, 01:45:10 PM »
Do you think Purdue is actually #20? I’d wager USC over Purdue if they met. Purdue is being inflated by wins against two teams who are not as good was thought.  Plus, SC was a neutral site win.

Remember, Maryland lost to Powell-less Seton Hall. That makes them second level BT (after MSU) in my opinion.

If you evaluate a team based on one performance, you're going to make a lot of bad predictions.
TAMU

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2020, 02:16:51 PM »
I do not see Wojo being fired this season unless there is a total collapse. The incoming class is his ace up his sleeve. With that said, I suspect that both Wojo and the administration are putting out feelers behind the scenes for the possibility of his leaving (on his own) if not at the end of this season, then perhaps the next either by his being fired or finding a new position. I think there are almost certainly some contingency plans on both sides and they may already be quietly in the works.

To me,the ideal resolution (but very unlikely, I openly admit) would be a very late Wojo departure (ala Thad Matta at Ohio State) so that the recruiting class does not scatter and Stan,who they all know and very likely trust, is given time to prove himself before possibly being named permanent HC. If Stan does not quickly prove himself as interim coach, Marquette could continue to search for a new coach.

One more note- I am not saying Stan is the "final answer". Just that giving him a chance might be the best way out of what I see as an inevitable and potentially messy divorce that I think is on the horizon. 

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2020, 03:53:20 PM »
Reminds me of something McGuire said on multiple occasions.  Coaches have good days and bad days.    One of his quotes after the 1974 title loss.

"I have to complain about the officiating. Officials never, never cost you a game. But I was right on the situations I was arguing about. I'd rather not discuss it. I would say the technicals cost us the game. Coaches have good days and bad days. I had a bad day. I would say that I lost the game there. I would say that I gave them two five-point plays and that was it. I had a bad day."

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #172 on: January 26, 2020, 04:24:48 PM »
Totally fair.  I definitely would like to see us do better as the previous two coaches showed us what is possible.   Guess I've finally just made peace with the fact that Wojo is a mediocre bench coach at best, and have dialed down expectations. 

Now if we implode again this season, get blown out in Round 1 of NCAA...I very likely will revert to total NoJo status.

To me what is most infuriating is that Wojo refuses to bring in an experienced bench coach who is skilled at in game adjustments.

At this point, it is just stubborn pride that is preventing what should be a plainly obvious solution to a recurring set of problems.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #173 on: January 26, 2020, 04:27:57 PM »
To me what is most infuriating is that Wojo refuses to bring in an experienced bench coach who is skilled at in game adjustments.

At this point, it is just stubborn pride that is preventing what should be a plainly obvious solution to a recurring set of problems.

Meet Rob Judson
https://gomarquette.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/rob-judson/442

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #174 on: January 26, 2020, 04:33:12 PM »

Where do we get this idea that there’s this stable of experienced, successful coaches just itching to become a Marquette assistant?

Sure there are a couple of examples out there, but most are the Judson types. Unsuccessful ex-head coaches looking for jobs.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback