[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Fire Wojo signs in the dorms  (Read 52211 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: Fire Wojo signs in the dorms
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2020, 08:50:10 AM »
You have to argue Hurley.  He's done more with less and has been able to attract some decent talent to a largely irrelevant school in the pantheon of college basketball.   Hurley has made Buffalo a much better place than what it was before and is continually #1 in his conference for recruiting.  It makes you wonder how much his recruiting could improve at a bigger basketball program.

Yeah, Hurley is the coach at Arizona State.......

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2020, 08:51:05 AM »
You have to argue Hurley.  He's done more with less and has been able to attract some decent talent to a largely irrelevant school in the pantheon of college basketball.   Hurley has made Buffalo a much better place than what it was before and is continually #1 in his conference for recruiting.  It makes you wonder how much his recruiting could improve at a bigger basketball program.

You realize he's at ASU now and has been for five years right? And they're significantly worse than us this year.

If you're arguing for Nate Oats, who just left Buffalo for Alabama, then I'm there with you.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2020, 08:54:47 AM »
TAMU
Up with the new baby?

Wojo is not getting fired, barring off court issues. With the guys in the program, biggest off court issue would be a late library book or Theo clanking weights too loudly in the middle of the night. FYI that is the one thing I like about Wojo. If you are going to be mediocre, do it with great guys, not trouble makers.

Based off the expectations outlined for Wojo there is zero basis for any the slightest discussion on job removal. Now, I would argue that the folks that make the expectations are not doing their jobs, but that is completely different argument.

While I am happy to see that MU students care enough about the program to make the signs, it really means little. My gut says that Wojo runs out of town and takes any job he can land. Said it couple of weeks ago, that if I was in his inner circle I would advise him to sprint to any job opening after the season ends.

Lastly, regardless of any argument regarding Wojo, the people he works for feel he is doing a good, very good or great job. Hey, things go could right the next few weeks and Howard pulls a “Kemba”, MU wins the NC and the brass at MU gets the last laugh.

Wojo is not going to voluntarily leave Marquette for a lesser job for the purposes of job security. Not happening.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2020, 08:58:11 AM »
Wojo is not going to voluntarily leave Marquette for a lesser job for the purposes of job security. Not happening.
I think he would move laterally or to a comparable or better conference if he starts feeling heat. Similar to Buzz albeit different circumstance. He's not to that point yet.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2020, 09:39:39 AM »
Yup, he screwed up and OWNED it.  If he hadn’t then I would be worried.  Not the reason we lost the game, but you are correct he screwed up and he owned it multiple times.  Do you want him to crucify himself?

Woj is too far into this job and is too highly paid to make elementary school coaching errors like this, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2020, 09:40:14 AM »

Our regular season's under Buzz were much better than under Wojo.  I posted this somewhere, but Buzz performed much better against tougher schedules.  Up until this year, Wojo only had two wins in five seasons against teams that ended the year KenPom top 20. 

And Marquette HAS done better than Wojo.  3 of our last 4 coaches were better than him.

Think the bolded are the strongest cases for moving on from Wojo.  I question if we will win a game this year against an end of year Top 20 Ken Pom - which moves that stat out to two wins in six seasons against end of year KenPom Top 20.

Could we do worse than Wojo, definitely.  Could we do better?  If results of past 30 years of coaching hires are predictive, 75% chance we could do better. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2020, 09:57:13 AM »
Lol UCLA’s search and program are a mess and these would be completely different searches.

But please, continue to go chicken little.

So you’re on record here thinking we’d get a coach that is more sought after than Mick Cronin when we next hire a coach? Or will zone in on one coach from the start and end up with that coach?

Okay. I wholeheartedly disagree, but we’ll see. I hope you’re right!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2020, 09:59:53 AM »
So you’re on record here thinking we’d get a coach that is more sought after than Mick Cronin when we next hire a coach? Or will zone in on one coach from the start and end up with that coach?

Okay. I wholeheartedly disagree, but we’ll see. I hope you’re right!

That's why you have to go with an up and comer who's new at a program, but is already making significant changes.  Typically taking a mid major to the NCAA tourney in his first 3+ years is a decent indicator.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2020, 10:10:28 AM »

Putting aside Wojos first season, his regular season results haven’t been that drastically different than Buzz. The difference is Buzz got some wins in the NCAAT, including a S16 run as an 11 seed. The elite 8 run was a miracle away from losing in the first round as a 3 seed. I obviously want NCAA success, but it’s a crapshoot.

I also don’t think MU can do meaningfully better than Wojo.

I'm sorry...and I don't mean this specifically at you, because I see this refrain CONSTANTLY from people here and it royally PISSES me off. They CAN do better. First of all I'm not saying they WOULD(that's a mistake not doing it IMO), but if MU really WANTED to...for the right Coach, they could find the right amount of $$ to throw at almost anyone..Secondly, I think this is the right time to repost this link....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-which-school-is-the-most-underrated-job-in-college-basketball/

On Marquette

"The Marquette job, the resources are out of this world and they want to be really good. The facilities are getting even better and the brand new arena helps too. If you have even close to being good the support shows up too."
    "Loyal, passionate fan base. Great tradition. No football. Pro city and they invest big time in hoops."
    "Huge budget, passionate fans, NBA facility, history of pros, recruiting base but can recruit nationally."
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2020, 10:12:04 AM »

Woj is too far into this job and is too highly paid to make elementary school coaching errors like this, hey?
That's an insult to elementary school coaches.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2020, 10:14:23 AM »
And then what?  We’d be irrelevant like now?

We’re irrelevant now?  Weird that every game is on national television and 17000 people come to our games for being “irrelevant”.  Who knew.  Or being ahead of Michigan, Virginia, Auburn, Florida, Syracuse, Memphis, Oklahoma, etc etc etc...are they all irrelevant?  LOL

But hey, I hope we can get Mick Cronin to save the day....did Sultan fall and have an accident to his brain?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2020, 10:20:51 AM »
We’re irrelevant now?  Weird that every game is on national television and 17000 people come to our games for being “irrelevant”.  Who knew.  Or being ahead of Michigan, Virginia, Auburn, Florida, Syracuse, Memphis, Oklahoma, etc etc etc...are they all irrelevant?  LOL

But hey, I hope we can get Mick Cronin to save the day....did Sultan fall and have an accident to his brain?

You clearly haven’t been to many games if you think 17,000 are showing up regularly. I think student/young alumni engagement is going to be a real issue for mubb in the coming years if things don’t turn around.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2020, 10:22:04 AM »
Wojo can make this type of stuff stop happening by winning something of consequence on a big stage. He has ample opportunity ahead of him this season with a senior All-American and guys 2-8/9/10 that are beginning to gel. He's a big boy, making $2mil to produce. Win a conference title, make a deep run in the BET, or win a NCAA tourney game and land Mane and this will be a fart in the wind.

Bingo! This is 100% perfectly stated. Want everyone to stop complaining?? Win games of consequence...the very exact things up top that you list, would shut all of us up. It's really that simple. I would love nothing more then to have to shut up about it, believe me.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2020, 10:24:58 AM »
Bingo! This is 100% perfectly stated. Want everyone to stop complaining?? Win games of consequence...the very exact things up top that you list, would shut all of us up. It's really that simple. I would love nothing more then to have to shut up about it, believe me.

There's nothing in the coaching profile to indicate this would happen.  Best chance is an outlier, statistically.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2020, 10:28:27 AM »

I see dentists, doctors, lawyers, sports marketers, etc, etc make “elementary” mistakes 20 years into their careers as a one off because they are human.  It was a giant screw up.  It wasn’t why we lost.  In fact we made it to OT tied, which is where we were when the foul happened.  He owned it.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2020, 10:30:40 AM »
I see dentists, doctors, lawyers, sports marketers, etc, etc make “elementary” mistakes 20 years into their careers as a one off because they are human.  It was a giant screw up.  It wasn’t why we lost.  In fact we made it to OT tied, which is where we were when the foul happened.  He owned it.

Okay, well then he owes the fans and players one then. What I mean is, now they have to go out and win one because of a GREAT Coaching adjustment he makes in game(for longer than one possession). Wouldn't that be something??

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2020, 10:32:01 AM »
I'm sorry...and I don't mean this specifically at you, because I see this refrain CONSTANTLY from people here and it royally PISSES me off. They CAN do better. First of all I'm not saying they WOULD(that's a mistake not doing it IMO), but if MU really WANTED to...for the right Coach, they could find the right amount of $$ to throw at almost anyone..Secondly, I think this is the right time to repost this link....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-which-school-is-the-most-underrated-job-in-college-basketball/

On Marquette

"The Marquette job, the resources are out of this world and they want to be really good. The facilities are getting even better and the brand new arena helps too. If you have even close to being good the support shows up too."
    "Loyal, passionate fan base. Great tradition. No football. Pro city and they invest big time in hoops."
    "Huge budget, passionate fans, NBA facility, history of pros, recruiting base but can recruit nationally."

Please give me the list of coaches who you feel would be a dramatic upgrade and would accept the job.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2020, 10:36:45 AM »

B U L L S H I T

Just as Al McGuire said, the expectations just get stupider.  Crean went to a Final Four, did that stop any of you from giving a pass when we went to the NIT the next two years?  Absolutely not....it turned up the juice.  You guys are ridiculous with your memories and I am concerned for your health based on the lack of memories you have.

"I hate everything about this job except the games," McGuire says. "Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me. I don't know why exactly. Maybe it's the fear, the fear of then having to repeat. You win once, then they expect you to win again.

"Wait'll you see what happens to Bobby Knight now that he's won.
On the other hand, I found out when I got those two technicals in the NCAA finals that people sympathized with me for making an ass out of myself. I get 35 million people looking at me, I can't help it, I immediately become an ass. People relate to that”

Al McGuire 1976
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:49:59 AM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2020, 10:45:34 AM »
Wojo can make this type of stuff stop happening by winning something of consequence on a big stage. He has ample opportunity ahead of him this season with a senior All-American and guys 2-8/9/10 that are beginning to gel. He's a big boy, making $2mil to produce. Win a conference title, make a deep run in the BET, or win a NCAA tourney game and land Mane and this will be a fart in the wind.

Well since he cannot do that until March why don’t you wait until the opportunity presents itself again then?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2020, 10:47:41 AM »

B U L L S H I T

Just as Al McGuire said, the expectations just get stupider.  Crean went to a Final Four, did that stop any of you from giving a pass when we went to the NIT the next two years?  Absolutely not....it turned up the juice.  You guys are ridiculous with your memories and I am concerned for your health based on the lack of memories you have.

"I hate everything about this job except the games," McGuire says. "Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me. I don't know why exactly. Maybe it's the fear, the fear of then having to repeat. You win once, then they expect you to win again.

On the other hand, I found out when I got those two technicals in the NCAA finals that people sympathized with me for making an ass out of myself. I get 35 million people looking at me, I can't help it, I immediately become an ass. People relate to that”

Lots of selective memory from this fan base. I was a freshman Buzz’s first year so I don’t have the history many of you have with the program. But it’s not like the previous 20 years outside of the final 4 season Marquette was this national power.

I want Marquette to win. I want them to be a perennial top 10 team. We all want the same thing. I just don’t think the grass is always greener. Could MU fire Wojo and hire a coach that had a better 6 year run than he did? Sure. It could also be a disaster. But Wojo is building something. The program the last 4 seasons including this has been strong. The ncaa results haven’t been there, but I’m not losing my crap over 2 games, even if they’ve been very forgettable performances.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2020, 10:50:01 AM »

Maybe we should him for malpractice then, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2020, 10:50:41 AM »

B U L L S H I T

“BULLSHAT.  BULLSHAT.  BULLSHAT.”

First, that McGuire quote is like the Roy Williams one from a couple weeks ago where he said he thought he should be fired.  Only the winningest coaches can say stuff like “winning isn’t all that important to me” and get away with it.  If Wojo said that after the Butler game, he’d have more than just the students calling him a cuck.

Second, I think guru’s post was a salient one.  Wojo needs to win something of consequence.  Are you saying he doesn’t need to, or that it doesn’t matter to you?  Sure, there are some radicals who’ll criticize him no matter what.  But the vast majority of his critics will at least be quieted for a while if he wins something tangible.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2020, 11:04:54 AM »
Winning games of consequence (more than 1 a year), making a deep run in BET, and/or winning regular season conference crown, getting into the dance consistently and winning some games, 22-24 wins per year are all areas that Wojo has not done consistently, but would shut most people up. He has all the tools/resources to do these things....except ability to get it done. Five plus years of practice at it, it must start now. Losing key players, bench coaching blunders/adjustments and general mediocrity are not getting the right results.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2020, 11:09:02 AM »
Love the "one off" spin. C'mon Cheeky, you have to make better excuses than that.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2020, 11:09:36 AM »
Winning games of consequence (more than 1 a year), making a deep run in BET, and/or winning regular season conference crown, getting into the dance consistently and winning some games, 22-24 wins per year are all areas that Wojo has not done consistently, but would shut most people up. He has all the tools/resources to do these things....except ability to get it done. Five plus years of practice at it, it must start now. Losing key players, bench coaching blunders/adjustments and general mediocrity are not getting the right results.

After the bid that will almost certainly come this year, Wojo for the most part has done all of that outside of NCAA wins. Obviously that’s the most important part, but how about we see how this tournament goes before we declare 0-2 means he’s unable to win games in March as a head coach.