Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Fire Wojo signs in the dorms  (Read 52265 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Fire Wojo signs in the dorms
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2020, 11:55:45 PM »
C'mon man...neither of your two proclamations are very bold. In the first instance that I bolded, MU played SJU, Georgetown and Xavier...not exactly a who's who of College basketball. That isn't exactly Nostradamus level predictions right there.

In this current instance, you want someone to bet you that they will beat Xavier and Depaul?? C'mon man! Again, those aren't predictions that are going out on a ledge. If someone actually bets you, truly believing they will lose those games, then there's something wrong. Conversely, if MU doesn't win both of those, there is something VERY wrong...far more then anyone could have imagined.

When I posed the question last time there were at least a few people who said I was crazy, 0% chance. One poster said 2%.

We'll be an underdog at Xavier. We were an underdog at Georgetown. The chances of going 5-0 in those 5 games is about 5%.

Hell if we take Kenpom's 50% chance to beat X and 78% to beat DePaul, the chances we win both are only 39%.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:01:28 AM by BM1090 »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2020, 12:02:36 AM »
It’s not really worth arguing with  people who can’t differentiate a mistake, criticism of decision, whatever sanitized term or phrase is found here,  from blatant incompetence.  There is a big difference. To most, that’s obvious, but that’s obviously elusive to a small percentage who post here incessantly. 

Why don’t all of you tell everyone the long list of successful basketball coaches who forgot what the score was at the end of a game. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2020, 12:10:21 AM »
It’s not really worth arguing with  people who can’t differentiate a mistake, criticism of decision, whatever sanitized term or phrase is found here,  from blatant incompetence.  There is a big difference. To most, that’s obvious, but that’s obviously elusive to a small percentage who post here incessantly. 

Why don’t all of you tell everyone the long list of successful basketball coaches who forgot what the score was at the end of a game.

My God, he made a mistake.  If he was incompetent that mistake would have been made countless times.

Last year John Gruden forgot a NFL rule in a game and threw his challenge flag in last two minutes.  Cost his team a timeout.   Mistakes happen.  I’m sure I could spend time and find a bunch, but you have decided to declare a one off mistake as incompetence which is ridiculous,
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2020, 12:17:32 AM »
My God, he made a mistake.  If he was incompetent that mistake would have been made countless times.

Last year John Gruden forgot a NFL rule in a game and threw his challenge flag in last two minutes.  Cost his team a timeout.   Mistakes happen.  I’m sure I could spend time and find a bunch, but you have decided to declare a one off mistake as incompetence which is ridiculous,

And if it were a mistake, you’d find countless examples where it was done by other coaches, instead of your  ridiculous attempt at comparison.

Good luck at finding a bunch of other coaches who can’t keep track of score, we’re still waiting for one.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2020, 12:51:21 AM »
It would be quite interesting to have him leave, the class blows up and the unicorn that people think is banging down the door to come to MU fails to materialize.....but hey, the students and grumpy alums will be able to say they did it for the program. 

Maybe that would finally crystallize where we are in the pantheon for some.

And then what?  We’d be irrelevant like now?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2020, 12:54:58 AM »
This "soft" MU team that "doesn't play hard" leads the Big East in rebounds per game, is 3rd in free throw attempts per game (0.2 attempts per game behind 2nd), 3rd in blocks per game, and tied for 3rd in defensive field goal percentage.

The only thing soft about Marquette is their fanbase.

Is the team perfect?  No.  Is the coach perfect?  No.  Yet they're 26 in KenPom and 25 in the NET rankings.  Some people here act like this team is 1-7 in conference play and like the Big East is a mid major.

Some people are worried this is the top of the mountain. Wojo’s accountant thinks it is, Mike Lovell knows it is.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2020, 02:20:38 AM »
College students are often entitled and dumb. Most of them will learn, some won't.

I remember when I was a student, Buzz blew a late lead in a game. I'm pretty sure it was on the road at Georgetown. I was apocalyptic after the game. I called and texted anyone who would listen and spammed social media with rants about how Buzz needed to be fired because he couldn't win close games. We ended up with a 3 seed that season.

Maybe we bomb the rest of the season, but the last 4 games have left me thinking more positively about this season than negatively. I think we end up as 6 or 7 seed. If that ends up being the case it would be impossible for Wojo to be fired barring off court issues. I can't think of a single coach in the past 25 years who was fired after earning a top 7 seed in the NCAAs without off the court issues. Demanding his head is illogical at best.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2020, 02:39:44 AM »
TAMU
Up with the new baby?

Wojo is not getting fired, barring off court issues. With the guys in the program, biggest off court issue would be a late library book or Theo clanking weights too loudly in the middle of the night. FYI that is the one thing I like about Wojo. If you are going to be mediocre, do it with great guys, not trouble makers.

Based off the expectations outlined for Wojo there is zero basis for any the slightest discussion on job removal. Now, I would argue that the folks that make the expectations are not doing their jobs, but that is completely different argument.

While I am happy to see that MU students care enough about the program to make the signs, it really means little. My gut says that Wojo runs out of town and takes any job he can land. Said it couple of weeks ago, that if I was in his inner circle I would advise him to sprint to any job opening after the season ends.

Lastly, regardless of any argument regarding Wojo, the people he works for feel he is doing a good, very good or great job. Hey, things go could right the next few weeks and Howard pulls a “Kemba”, MU wins the NC and the brass at MU gets the last laugh.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2020, 06:27:00 AM »

Great spin, Cheeky. Wojos mistake was a one off. He has made lots of mistakes as coach, although this one forgetting the score was a woozy.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2020, 06:34:13 AM »
GROSS. Happy with 6-8 seeds and an occasional S16 when we have the facilities, budget, history, and conference we do? When our previous coach made 3 consecutive S16s. That sort of complacency kills programs. Year 6 of maddening inconsistency and no tournament wins, what’s occasional S16 then? Once a decade?

And Wojo has shown himself to be a good recruiter. But you need to string together multiple Top 10 classes to dream of tournament success with a “roll the ball out” coach.

I’m not suggesting Wojo he fired immediately, but justifying performances like last night away with that kind of perspective is cringey

Putting aside Wojos first season, his regular season results haven’t been that drastically different than Buzz. The difference is Buzz got some wins in the NCAAT, including a S16 run as an 11 seed. The elite 8 run was a miracle away from losing in the first round as a 3 seed. I obviously want NCAA success, but it’s a crapshoot.

I also don’t think MU can do meaningfully better than Wojo.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2020, 06:46:56 AM »
C'mon man...neither of your two proclamations are very bold. In the first instance that I bolded, MU played SJU, Georgetown and Xavier...not exactly a who's who of College basketball. That isn't exactly Nostradamus level predictions right there.

In this current instance, you want someone to bet you that they will beat Xavier and Depaul?? C'mon man! Again, those aren't predictions that are going out on a ledge. If someone actually bets you, truly believing they will lose those games, then there's something wrong. Conversely, if MU doesn't win both of those, there is something VERY wrong...far more then anyone could have imagined.

This fuc**n guy

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2020, 06:54:41 AM »

Putting aside Wojos first season, his regular season results haven’t been that drastically different than Buzz. The difference is Buzz got some wins in the NCAAT, including a S16 run as an 11 seed. The elite 8 run was a miracle away from losing in the first round as a 3 seed. I obviously want NCAA success, but it’s a crapshoot.

Our regular season's under Buzz were much better than under Wojo.  I posted this somewhere, but Buzz performed much better against tougher schedules.  Up until this year, Wojo only had two wins in five seasons against teams that ended the year KenPom top 20. 

And Marquette HAS done better than Wojo.  3 of our last 4 coaches were better than him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2020, 07:17:50 AM »
And what is with the signs in the dorms of "Wojo is a cuck"? Isn't that a right wing meme to disparage your opponent?
It’s definitely been associated with the alt-right and it’s 1000x more tasteless than the fire Wojo display.
No Finish Line

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2020, 07:36:39 AM »
I think Joe put it really well on Scrambled Eggs two episodes ago. How long do you keep going on potential? That’s what has been the thing keeping the hope alive for Wojo. What if we get to 10 years on this cycle and look back and say, “Wow, we haven’t won much of anything.” What’s the cutoff point?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2020, 07:42:49 AM »

Syracuse, Ucon, ND, Louisville, Pitt, Cincinnati, West Virginia. The old Big east was a meat grinder and Buzz still had better records.

Your last sentence is very concerning to me. There is a portion of the fan base that's ok settling for mediocrity. Maybe they need to become Billiken fans.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 07:48:48 AM by hairy worthen »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2020, 07:53:54 AM »
I think Joe put it really well on Scrambled Eggs two episodes ago. How long do you keep going on potential? That’s what has been the thing keeping the hope alive for Wojo. What if we get to 10 years on this cycle and look back and say, “Wow, we haven’t won much of anything.” What’s the cutoff point?

He's going to get at least two more years after this one.  At that point, MU either has to extended him for recruiting purposes or there is going to be a mutual understanding that he needs to look elsewhere.  Unless his contract has a real friendly buy out clause, there is zero chance he actually gets fired before then.

But you have captured my exact issue with his tenure.  First, it was the potential of Henry - which didn't amount to much.  Then the potential of Howard and the Hausers - which won't amount to much either.  Now its the potential of Garcia, Lewis and possibly Mane.  No offense but history is telling me that I probably will be disappointed by that as well. 

And its not as though my standards are sky high here.  Comptetive team in conference.  Second weekend in March.  That's achievable for this program.  I'm not looking to become Nova or Gonzaga right now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2020, 07:58:20 AM »
Don't worry, Marquette isn't getting Mane. He's been reading what entitled pieces of work some MU fans are and is taking his talents elsewhere.

Fragile

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2020, 08:21:31 AM »
Would fans be happy with Mick Cronin? Because that’s who UCLA ended up with, and they’re head and shoulders the better program.

Lol UCLA’s search and program are a mess and these would be completely different searches.

But please, continue to go chicken little.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2020, 08:25:57 AM »
Don't worry, Marquette isn't getting Mane. He's been reading what entitled pieces of work some MU fans are and is taking his talents elsewhere.

Yeeeaah. No other college fan bases act entitled on message boards.

The pearl clutching on here about Wojo criticism is ridiculous. Bill Self has people calling for his head every year on the radio (and this was before the fight and Adidas scandal). EVERY YEAR...in a career that includes a run of 12 straight conference titles.

But god forbid Marquette fans think it’s time to try something else after 6 years and no NCAA wins.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 08:33:35 AM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2020, 08:29:23 AM »
Syracuse, Ucon, ND, Louisville, Pitt, Cincinnati, West Virginia. The old Big east was a meat grinder and Buzz still had better records.

Your last sentence is very concerning to me. There is a portion of the fan base that's ok settling for mediocrity. Maybe they need to become Billiken fans.

I think there is also a portion of the fan base that is completely delusional and thinks Marquette is Duke.

Marquette is nice program in a great league. Probably a top 25 job and program. Marquette is never going to be perennial ncaa champion contenders. The sooner some people come to grips with that, the better.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2020, 08:33:11 AM »
TAMU
Up with the new baby?

Wojo is not getting fired, barring off court issues. With the guys in the program, biggest off court issue would be a late library book or Theo clanking weights too loudly in the middle of the night. FYI that is the one thing I like about Wojo. If you are going to be mediocre, do it with great guys, not trouble makers.

Based off the expectations outlined for Wojo there is zero basis for any the slightest discussion on job removal. Now, I would argue that the folks that make the expectations are not doing their jobs, but that is completely different argument.

While I am happy to see that MU students care enough about the program to make the signs, it really means little. My gut says that Wojo runs out of town and takes any job he can land. Said it couple of weeks ago, that if I was in his inner circle I would advise him to sprint to any job opening after the season ends.

Lastly, regardless of any argument regarding Wojo, the people he works for feel he is doing a good, very good or great job. Hey, things go could right the next few weeks and Howard pulls a “Kemba”, MU wins the NC and the brass at MU gets the last laugh.

Nice level headed analysis goose guy! 

Here’s a question for ya’ll-who would ya rather have Bobby Hurley or wojo? Or neither?
Hurley is 125-82 overall with 3 dance invitations

Wojo is 111-75 an NIT invite and 2 big dance invites

don't...don't don't don't don't

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2020, 08:39:30 AM »
Bad look students. Say whatever on here, 247 etc but that a bad look in the windows
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2020, 08:41:47 AM »
Bad look students. Say whatever on here, 247 etc but that a bad look in the windows

I’m sure it didn’t last longer than a few hours.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2020, 08:47:02 AM »
Wojo can make this type of stuff stop happening by winning something of consequence on a big stage. He has ample opportunity ahead of him this season with a senior All-American and guys 2-8/9/10 that are beginning to gel. He's a big boy, making $2mil to produce. Win a conference title, make a deep run in the BET, or win a NCAA tourney game and land Mane and this will be a fart in the wind.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2020, 08:47:26 AM »
Nice level headed analysis goose guy! 

Here’s a question for ya’ll-who would ya rather have Bobby Hurley or wojo? Or neither?
Hurley is 125-82 overall with 3 dance invitations

Wojo is 111-75 an NIT invite and 2 big dance invites

You have to argue Hurley.  He's done more with less and has been able to attract some decent talent to a largely irrelevant school in the pantheon of college basketball.   Hurley has made Buffalo a much better place than what it was before and is continually #1 in his conference for recruiting.  It makes you wonder how much his recruiting could improve at a bigger basketball program.