[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: This could get ugly...  (Read 6799 times)

duanewade

• Team Captain
This could get ugly...
« on: January 25, 2020, 09:15:50 AM »
Any team that blows a critical game they controlled and appeared to have won always have a hangover effect the next game or two.

However as we saw last year when we fell apart and lost 6 of our last 7....Wojo hangovers are much harsher than your average beer hangover.

Having said this we can write off the Xavier road game this week. The Vegas MIT grads that set the spread will know this too so there won’t be a chance to make easy money if Marquette were somehow favored.

Then playing DePaul at home used to be the way to stop any losing streak in season’s past but this is a new and improved DePaul team that is both capable and hungry.

The question then becomes can we then reverse the curse by beating Butler at home on National Marquette Day in a sold out Fiserv?  Perhaps but a sold out Fiserv on Senior Day didn’t help us beat a bad Georgetown team last year either.

The Hauser’s wouldn’t have both transferred if they didn’t experience what they perceived to be egregious dysfunction and incompetence from our coaching staff.  Nor would Ed Morrow quit with just couple months left in his last season. I’m not a fan of anyone who leaves and quits on Marquette but at the same time there appears to be something very dysfunctional with Wojo coached teams which goes beyond what we witness just during the games.

Let’s hope they figure it out and we don’t completely collapse again.

Goose

• All American
Re: This could get ugly...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 09:19:03 AM »
We will see how they respond in next couple of games. Wojo has a big task are hand and we will see how he and the boys respond. Last night either brings them together or they could fold. As you noted, his teams have folded in the past.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 09:24:11 AM »
Losing to a former top 5 team in their gym is disheartening, but Koby, Sacar, Bailey, and Theo all played very well in as hostile of an environment as I think the team has seen all year.   OK, maybe the Kohl center.  Greg needs to heal.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 09:25:54 AM »
Any team that blows a critical game they controlled and appeared to have won always have a hangover effect the next game or two.

However as we saw last year when we fell apart and lost 6 of our last 7....Wojo hangovers are much harsher than your average beer hangover.

Having said this we can write off the Xavier road game this week. The Vegas MIT grads that set the spread will know this too so there won’t be a chance to make easy money if Marquette were somehow favored.

Then playing DePaul at home used to be the way to stop any losing streak in season’s past but this is a new and improved DePaul team that is both capable and hungry.

The question then becomes can we then reverse the curse by beating Butler at home on National Marquette Day in a sold out Fiserv?  Perhaps but a sold out Fiserv on Senior Day didn’t help us beat a bad Georgetown team last year either.

The Hauser’s wouldn’t have both transferred if they didn’t experience what they perceived to be egregious dysfunction and incompetence from our coaching staff.  Nor would Ed Morrow quit with just couple months left in his last season. I’m not a fan of anyone who leaves and quits on Marquette but at the same time there appears to be something very dysfunctional with Wojo coached teams which goes beyond what we witness just during the games.

The same way we folded after losing at home to Providence? A lot of hot air here. I expect the team to come out strong at Xavier.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 09:47:40 AM »
Good Lord the pants pissing is back
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 09:51:56 AM »
Good Lord the pants pissing is back
Yep.  We lose to a team rated 8 in the NET, on their floor, in Overtime. We played pretty well, except when it mattered. Their star goes 10 for 25, ours goes 8 for 27. It's one game. I would bet money that we bounce back. Hopefully Markus is OK.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 09:53:43 AM »
Everybody needs to vent, cheeks.    From my perspective, I had this one penciled in as a loss all along.   Butler then started playing great basketball and I continued to assume this would be a loss.   Then Butler hit a losing streak and had some injuries, and there was a glimmer of hope.   Hinkle was insane, but MU played good enough to win for 38 minutes.   Losing late leads (or choking dogs peeing down their legs, right cheeks?) is always frustrating.      But, assuming that Markus is not out for a while due to concussion protocol, there was a lot of good stuff last night.     Sacar, Koby, and Bailey played great all around games.    Theo was a beast defensively without fouling.    MU went in and performed well enough to win in an incredibly hostile environment.    In the end, assuming Markus isn't out, MU lost a close conference road game to a ranked team.   It hurts, but it isn't the end of anything. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 10:04:22 AM »
Everybody needs to vent, cheeks.    From my perspective, I had this one penciled in as a loss all along.   Butler then started playing great basketball and I continued to assume this would be a loss.   Then Butler hit a losing streak and had some injuries, and there was a glimmer of hope.   Hinkle was insane, but MU played good enough to win for 38 minutes.   Losing late leads (or choking dogs peeing down their legs, right cheeks?) is always frustrating.      But, assuming that Markus is not out for a while due to concussion protocol, there was a lot of good stuff last night.     Sacar, Koby, and Bailey played great all around games.    Theo was a beast defensively without fouling.    MU went in and performed well enough to win in an incredibly hostile environment.    In the end, assuming Markus isn't out, MU lost a close conference road game to a ranked team.   It hurts, but it isn't the end of anything.
If Marcus is out for concussion then that's egregious and dangerous by the staff to let him finish that game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 10:10:30 AM »
I said it elsewhere.   If it turns out Markus had a concussion, that will make me infinitely angrier at Wojo than losing a conference road game.   

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 10:23:47 AM »

Very well reasoned and thought out as usual Tower...

My concern, players will note this:

Sacar, Koby, BB, Jamal
12-20 from 3

Markus
4-18 from 3

And yet Markus dribbled into a double team and jacked a 3 with 8 seconds left.  That’s my concern.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 10:29:03 AM »

Always hey?
Every. Single. Time.
No exceptions.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 10:30:06 AM »
Very well reasoned and thought out as usual Tower...

My concern, players will note this:

Sacar, Koby, BB, Jamal
12-20 from 3

Markus
4-18 from 3

And yet Markus dribbled into a double team and jacked a 3 with 8 seconds left.  That’s my concern.

Agreed.   Markus the last 3 minutes was about as he could be.

joparks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 11:16:29 AM »
I want to hope at this point it doesn't get ugly.  The gut feeling is that it might.

The gut feeling is based only on what happened last year and we have seen this a lot recently where you see the lead shrinking and you know somehow, some way they are going to find a way to blow it.  It happens when you have a chance to steal a game you weren't expecting to get. 

I wasn't expecting us to get this game.  I figured MU had been feasting on the bottom of the conference, Butler was home, wounded and hungry and we were going to be the perfect elixir for their problems since MU typically melts on the road in hostile environments against teams with their backs against the wall.  I saw us showing up dead on arrival and losing by 20.  So I was surprised that they gave them a game.  That said, we gave them 82% of a game with the last 3 minutes of regulation and the 5 minutes of OT undoing all the good/positive that was done up to that point. 

As a team, they played well.  Individually, that's another story.  Whether the hard foul to Markus changed the game (it seemed to from the stats) is a question.  It seemed like many who watched saw what was happening and saw we were getting production from the role players.  Unfortunately, in the last 3 minutes of regulation either Wojo or Markus or both did not see that.  I tend to think it might have been Wojo or any of his coaching college not seeing this because they also didn't notice that it looked like Butler was scoring at will on the same play every time down the floor.  And thus, no adjustment.  Add in that Wojo admitted he didn't know what the score was when he had Bailey foul with :20 left in a tie game and I think we might have our answer.

connie

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 12:03:51 PM »
 The end was extremely disappointing, but the play of Koby, Sacar and Theo is somewhat encouraging.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 12:20:54 PM »
Come on homers, it’s ok to rip the entire coaching staff here. It doesn’t make you less of a fan by doing so. Last nights loss was inexcusable. Our coaching staff showed complete incompetence on so many levels. Butler had no business winning that game and any fair minded observer knows that. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 12:25:27 PM »
The end was extremely disappointing, but the play of Koby, Sacar and Theo is somewhat encouraging.

Theo was fabulous on D.

Very happy for McEwen hitting a clutch shot.

Feel bad for the players. They deserved a better fate.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 12:36:49 PM »
Come on homers, it’s ok to rip the entire coaching staff here. It doesn’t make you less of a fan by doing so. Last nights loss was inexcusable. Our coaching staff showed complete incompetence on so many levels. Butler had no business winning that game and any fair minded observer knows that.

Sumwon kneaded ta put a size 13 in da vasinity of Baldwin's nads. Nothin' else wuz workin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »

Sumwon kneaded ta put a size 13 in da vasinity of Baldwin's nads. Nothin' else wuz workin', hey?

LOL

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2020, 12:40:44 PM »

You cant talk about the Hausers and their disloyalty like that here. Wojo can do no wrong. Wonder how Ed feels about things. Oh well, players transfer all the time, so you are just sour graping. Ask Tower or Cheeky.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 12:41:22 PM »
I said it elsewhere.   If it turns out Markus had a concussion, that will make me infinitely angrier at Wojo than losing a conference road game.

Hold the phone here.  Medical staff makes that call, not the coach.  Coach says to medical staff...can he play is he cleared to play?  Yes or no.  Then he plays if cleared.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 12:42:30 PM »
No, only your kneepads will be angry.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2020, 12:43:17 PM »

FINALLY. An actual  well reasoned and level headed post.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 12:45:54 PM »
As bad as that meltdown was, I’m feeling more positive than a few weeks ago about this team. Multiple players have really settled nicely in their roles, look so much more comfortable and confident out there than early in the season and are very effective.  Fact Butler was down a couple guys last night makes no difference, they played well enough to beat a very good team in one of college basketballs toughest venues.

All that said, I feel like we’re just waiting for next shoe to drop and Wojo and staff to be without any answers again at some point, just a matter of when.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2020, 12:59:42 PM »

I have read some supremely stupid things on scoop over the years, especially after a loss, but this may be the most stupid of them all.  I struggle to understand how a person of even below average intelligence can write something so asinine.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2020, 01:40:45 PM »

Fully Agree. Feel bad for the players, they gave maximum effort. But, their effort was cut short by an incompetent coach and his dysfunctional assistants. Just a Ship of Fools!

“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
- Winston S. Churchill