[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[Today at 11:06:58 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by cheebs09
[Today at 10:52:12 AM]

NIL Future by Hards Alumni
[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lost in the debacle were great games by  (Read 1791 times)

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
Lost in the debacle were great games by
« on: January 25, 2020, 08:02:23 AM »
Sacar and Cain.  Sacar hit big shot after big shot late.  Cain was really efficient and was defending Baldwin well while in the game.
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Lost in the debacle were great games by
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 08:08:32 AM »
Easily the best collective game from the Theo/Sacar/Bailey/Cain cohort last night. I hope that continues

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 08:09:42 AM »
Bailey 14/7.   Koby 13/11/4.   Sacar 22/3/3.   Cain 5/4.    Symir was bad.   Jayce was in foul trouble.    Markus was Markus for 24 minutes and lost for 20.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 09:14:00 AM »
Good point.  I think our supporting cast is undervalued.  I think Anim, McEwen and Bailey are solid high majors players, and that the balance of the team are solid high major role players.  I'm an old guy and I'm getting used to positionless basketball, and those guys can play that way. 

McEwen is settling in and gaining consistency.  He's an excellent rebounder.  I am really starting to like him.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 09:15:14 AM »
Aside from Howard the other guys stepped it up and that is nice to see. I cannot gripe about the role players performance last night. Wojo attaches himself to Howard and I have thought that was mistake for two plus years.
With the state of college ball that it is, a balanced lineup with the Hausers and Howard maybe could have made some noise this year.
I am not a stat guy, but think Howard has hoisted over 25 shots in every BE game. To me, that is not a plan for success game in and game out.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 09:31:32 AM »
Good point.  I think our supporting cast is undervalued.  I think Anim, McEwen and Bailey are solid high majors players, and that the balance of the team are solid high major role players.  I'm an old guy and I'm getting used to positionless basketball, and those guys can play that way. 

McEwen is settling in and gaining consistency.  He's an excellent rebounder.  I am really starting to like him.
Once he gets rid of that one pass a game he throws into the third row and starts finishing at the rim, he is going to be really good.   Am I the only one who notices he makes a really strong move to the basket and,  instead of just finishing, does a two foot jump stop and a half-hook looking thing?    Just finish, Koby.     And Sacar, stop playing away from conact.   Too many blown bunnies from those two. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 09:34:16 AM »
Once he gets rid of that one pass a game he throws into the third row and starts finishing at the rim, he is going to be really good.   Am I the only one who notices he makes a really strong move to the basket and,  instead of just finishing, does a two foot jump stop and a half-hook looking thing?    Just finish, Koby.     And Sacar, stop playing away from conact.   Too many blown bunnies from those two.

I wonder how much of that is his thumb. His shooting hand has been wrapped almost all year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 09:38:34 AM »
Which part?    The one pass into the stands or the jump stop when wide open at the rim?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 09:38:44 AM »
Right on, Goose. The game plan late was exasperating. Markus was obviously leg weary and going inside to Theo when ball movement had opened up our shooters who were hitting threes was befuddling.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 09:42:16 AM »
I agree, he seems to make his layups a much higher degree of difficulty than necessary--just lay the thing in.  As you said, Tower, once he stops overthinking he can be quite good offensively.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 10:10:56 AM »
Aside from Howard the other guys stepped it up and that is nice to see. I cannot gripe about the role players performance last night. Wojo attaches himself to Howard and I have thought that was mistake for two plus years.
With the state of college ball that it is, a balanced lineup with the Hausers and Howard maybe could have made some noise this year.
I am not a stat guy, but think Howard has hoisted over 25 shots in every BE game. To me, that is not a plan for success game in and game out.

Interesting thought.  Checked the data, here are the results with minutes played from Butler game to first conference game against Creighton:

Minutes   Shots
43           27 - Loss
36           20 - Win
34           31 - Win
38           27 - Win
38           22 - Loss
42           33 - Loss
30           20 - Win
31           16  - Loss

Guess my takeaway is just HOW shot dominant Markus is.  Think about those shot attempts by minutes played - the opposition has the ball for ~25-30 seconds per minute.  Markus averages roughly 1 shot every 1:26 played.  169 shots in 214 minutes played.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 10:12:42 AM »

Good point. Part of being a great player is recognizing when you don't have it in a given game. Other guys were hitting shots, give the ball up. It is entirely possible the guy who will score the most points in MU history will never win an NCAA game.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 10:14:47 AM by 79Warrior »

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 10:25:29 AM »

Preach! Both guys do a pretty good job of getting to the rim, but for some reason, they seem unsure of what to do when they get there. Sometimes they're looking to pass, even when they're 2 ft away. And then sometimes they have a clear lane and miss pretty easy layups. Maybe they're thinking there will be contact, or maybe they think they need to drive and kick, or maybe it's just the yips.

If these two just hit one or two more of these per game, we'll be in good shape. Then add Brendan's ability to get to the rim here and there into the mix, and we'll have a good blend of inside and outside threats that could be a real nightmare to defend.