'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Markus' head?  (Read 11918 times)

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
Re: Nothing Important
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2020, 06:22:03 PM »
Baddley did not “take out” our leading scorer.  Literally.  Markus didn’t miss one second as a result of that play.  And the play itself wasn’t dirty.  It was two guys going full speed in transition.  Take off your blue and gold glasses and stop using this as an excuse for why we lost.

With Marquettes short bench and Symirs inexperience Markus almost had to play. Though after the foul he didn't play like he normally does. It reminded me of the Providence game when the refs let the Friars knock Markus around. He didn't look very good at the end of that game either, though this game was much worse.

You're wrong about the foul that wasn't called. It was a dirty play and should have been reviewed as a flagrant foul. I call it like I see it.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
Re: Nothing Important
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2020, 09:42:42 PM »
He should have
 Still worthy of a look at the monitor and a Flagrant 1- excessivecontact above the shoulders
 My opinion, it is on of the myriad of reasons why we lost, but not as important as not changing defenses on Kamar. Kamar is not a 3 point shooter. Play some zone. Double on the screens...something. If Coach does that, we don't even need to see Markus try to take over.

To your first point , I agree, Markus wasn't right, but with Marquettes short bench who do you put in?? Symir was getting roasted and Greg is out.

To your second point, I agree, if the refs would have looked at it and assessed a flagrant foul it may have changed the game.

To your third point, I mostly agree, but Baldwin was making some tough shots. It wasn't all bad defense, some of it was better offense. If Markus had been scoring on the other end like he normally does, Marquette still wins that game. I contend that the hit he took to his head was the key factor.

Fair take though.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Markus' head?
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2020, 10:00:39 PM »
I took a few screenshots (quality is best I could get) of the play and am just not seeing any elbow or malicious intent like a few others have mentioned.

Screenshot #1: Butler guy goes up with both hands as if to block the ball.

Screenshot #2: Best evidence I could find of an "elbow"

Screenshot #3 & #4: Markus appears to turn his head towards the hoop as if to see if the ball went in. Don't think he'd make that reaction if he just got clocked in the head.

Screenshot #5: Head hitting the chair.

thank you for this!  i was just going to post my recollection of that the announcers pointed out that his head hit the chair(not an elbow to the melon) and something about it not being the fan's faults because of the tight quarters/seating arrangements etc etc.   

i sometimes wonder about the schools need to make money-fans in folding chairs, positions of camera crews and safety of the players.   
don't...don't don't don't don't

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2020, 10:17:05 PM »
  thank you for this!  i was just going to post my recollection of that the announcers pointed out that his head hit the chair(not an elbow to the melon) and something about it not being the fan's faults because of the tight quarters/seating arrangements etc etc.   

i sometimes wonder about the schools need to make money-fans in folding chairs, positions of camera crews and safety of the players.

The announcers, and every other blind umpire, missed the elbow to the head. Fortunately tower and others have the game on dvr and Markus definitely took an elbow to the head. The only real debate is whether it was intentional. I contend it was because of the exaggerated arm movement by Baddley. Others disagree. That's fine.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2020, 02:05:13 AM »
The announcers, and every other blind umpire, missed the elbow to the head. Fortunately tower and others have the game on dvr and Markus definitely took an elbow to the head. The only real debate is whether it was intentional. I contend it was because of the exaggerated arm movement by Baddley. Others disagree. That's fine.

I've rewatched it a couple of times. While I agree there was an elbow to the head, I have no idea what "exaggerated arm movement" you are referring to. I see absolutely no evidence of it being intentional. Maybe it was, but I'm not sure what has convinced you that it's a certainty.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2020, 10:31:59 AM »
Maybe this is related ... Markus missed 14 3PA, the most by a Big East player in a conference game since 2009.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2020, 01:37:18 PM »
I've rewatched it a couple of times. While I agree there was an elbow to the head, I have no idea what "exaggerated arm movement" you are referring to. I see absolutely no evidence of it being intentional. Maybe it was, but I'm not sure what has convinced you that it's a certainty.

Somebody just posted a video of the play and at the end of the attempted block Baddley swings his right arm at Markus. His body actually turns in Markus' direction like he was targeting him.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2020, 01:43:20 PM »
Somebody just posted a video of the play and at the end of the attempted block Baddley swings his right arm at Markus. His body actually turns in Markus' direction like he was targeting him.

Still not seeing it. It looks like an attempted block of a layup to me. Sometimes hard contact happens.
TAMU

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2020, 01:45:14 PM »
Still not seeing it. It looks like an attempted block of a layup to me. Sometimes hard contact happens.

Pay attention to the turning of his body toward Markus when he swings his right arm down on his head.

It's also interesting to watch Baddleys actions after the play. He slinks away because he knows what he did.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 01:47:05 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2020, 01:48:17 PM »

We are now 36 hours removed from the incident, and have read ~50+ posts from you on this one particular play.  How long should we plan on you continuing to post on that play?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2020, 01:54:19 PM »
Pay attention to the turning of his body toward Markus when he swings his right arm down on his head.

It's also interesting to watch Baddleys actions after the play. He slinks away because he knows what he did.

Yeah...you have what we call confirmation bias. I'm not seeing what you are seeing and even if I was, it would tell us zero about his intentions.
TAMU

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2020, 01:57:22 PM »
Yeah...you have what we call confirmation bias. I'm not seeing what you are seeing and even if I was, it would tell us zero about his intentions.
I see the contact, though it certainly looks unintentional.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2020, 02:13:04 PM »

The angle Baddley took to block the shot did not allow for his body to blade in the direction of Markus unless it was intentional.

By the way, what did you think of Baddleys reaction??

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2020, 02:20:52 PM »
We are now 36 hours removed from the incident, and have read ~50+ posts from you on this one particular play.  How long should we plan on you continuing to post on that play?

It's  obvious you don't care about Markus getting hammered and the effect it had on his game. That's fine.

You do you.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2020, 02:22:54 PM »
The angle Baddley took to block the shot did not allow for his body to blade in the direction of Markus unless it was intentional.

By the way, what did you think of Baddleys reaction??
I think you should have your own head checked. No seriously, you are over the top obsessing.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2020, 02:27:06 PM »
I think you should have your own head checked. No seriously, you are over the top obsessing.

Noted, another scooper who doesn't care about Markus getting hammered and how it affected his game. That's fine.

You do you

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2020, 02:37:51 PM »
Noted, another scooper who doesn't care about Markus getting hammered and how it affected his game. That's fine.

You do you

I care about Markus. I also care about truth and your slandering of another player.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2020, 02:47:48 PM »

I care about Markus. I also care about truth and your slandering of another player.

Intentional fouls and flagrant fouls are part of the game. I'm sure you've never seen a cheap shot before in basketball.

That play was intentional in my opinion and I think the video supports it.

It's part of a bigger issue with Markus, as he's  had his share of getting beat up and not getting calls.

You have your opinion, that's fine.

You do you

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2020, 02:51:20 PM »
Intentional fouls and flagrant fouls are part of the game. I'm sure you've never seen a cheap shot before in basketball.

That play was intentional in my opinion and I think the video supports it.

It's part of a bigger issue with Markus, as he's  had his share of getting beat up and not getting calls.

You have your opinion, that's fine.

You do you

I will. Maybe you should stop claiming that others don’t care about Markus’ health.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2020, 02:57:44 PM »
I will. Maybe you should stop claiming that others don’t care about Markus’ health.

I started this thread because no one seemed to be interested in Markus' condition or the lack of a call on what I thought was a flagrant foul.

People make lots of claims on message boards, the only people who should be bothered by my statement are those with a guilty conscience.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2020, 02:58:40 PM »
I started this thread because no one seemed to be interested in Markus' condition or the lack of a call on what I thought was a flagrant foul.

People make lots of claims on message boards, the only people who should be bothered by my statement are those with a guilty conscience.

You’re tiresome.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2020, 03:09:07 PM »
You’re tiresome.

Maybe it's time for your afternoon nap.