[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bitchin' Kamar-o  (Read 18448 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Bitchin' Kamar-o
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2020, 12:34:08 AM »
That hurt. Chance for a big road win and we lost it in the last two minutes. Felt a bit like Georgetown loss last season. They ran the same play repeatedly and scored almost every time. It's tough, usually if you get a guy to settle for a pull up long 2, you consider a good defensive possession, but Baldwin's got a pair of brass ones and made us pay.

Markus' shot selection in the final 2 minutes of any game, not just tonight, has been a consistent issue. Dude is the least clutch 28 point a game scorer I have ever seen. He needs to be out there but I would design some plays that use him as a decoy and get a good luck for another player.

Reffing pet peeve of mine. When they anticipate that a team is going to foul intentionally to stop the clock, they need to actually wait for there to be a foul. On the foul that fouled out McEwen, Koby never touched Nze. Nze lowered his shoulder and bulldozed McEwen. Should've been a charge on Nze. Not even close to a reason why we lost the game, but just a pet peeve of mine.

If Wojo is covering for Bailey having a brain fart, that's a classy move. If Wojo really didn't know the score, that's an inexcusable mistake, at least he owned it.

McEwen and Sacar's ability to miss bunnies is amazing.

Theo needs to stop shooting jump hooks unless he's within two feet. Almost as good as a turnover. Loved what he did on defense though.

Honestly really enjoyed the game. Felt like a true Big East battle with both teams throwing haymakers and counterpunches. As brutal as the last two minutes were, the big threes by McEwen and Anim still made it exciting.

Big nights from McEwen, Anim, and Bailey. Cain had an efficient night off the bench. Would have never thought that would lead to a loss. Hopefully those 4 keep the mojo going while Howard gets settled and Elliott returns.

In the end, this is one of the reasons why I love road games against tough opponents. Low risk, high reward. You win and it does wonders for your tournament resume. You lose and the committee doesn't bat an eye. Just checked KenPom and our KP score went up a couple of points. Learn from it and turnaround and kick Xavier's a$$.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2020, 12:40:30 AM »
Very frustrating game to lose.  Officiating was fine other than the blown call when the ball went off the foot of the Butler guy.  It came down to Baldwin completely taking over and Butler hardly missing a free throw.  If Baldwin is human for the last 10 minutes and even misses one or two more shots, we win.  If Butler doesn't shoot like 90% from the line, we probably win.  So give them credit.  They had to play perfect basketball to pull it out and they did.

This all being said, my main issues are pretty much wash, rinse, & repeat from prior issues.

1. Howard insisting on being the reason we win or lose instead of it being a team win or loss.  I put the blame on him & Wojo.  He does not know when to stop chucking on games he doesn't have it.  That's on him during the game, and on Wojo for not correcting it AT ALL in 3.5 years.  For anyone who watched it, I thought the postgame comments about this from FS1 were fair and spot on.  If I'm the guy who was WIDE OPEN in the corner while Markus is hoisting a contested 3 in front of two defenders several feet behind the line with 10 seconds left and us down one, I'm getting on the bus annoyed after this game.  I appreciate what Markus can do and all he does.  Full stop.  But find the open man especially on a night when you didn't have it.  Out other guys to me have proven to be a solid supporting cast.  Use them!

2. Not even attempting to change defenses on Butler when Baldwin couldn't be stopped was an exercise in maximum stubbornness.  No attempt to flash double like they did against Markus.  No switch to zone or box & 1.  No big guys hedging hard out off the screen instead of playing behind deep in the lane.  NOTHING.  Baldwin got in a grove, was completely comfortable, and we did nothing to try to make him uncomfortable.  That is bad coaching.  We didn't lose to Butler tonight.  We lost to Baldwin and we let it happen.

3. While it didn't cost us the game at the time, fouling with 20 seconds left in a tie game is beyond embarrassing.  How on earth can you not know the game situation. It is baffling and not to mention it's literally one of the most important aspects of being a coach.  At first I was screaming at Bailey (who I thought overall played well).  But it sounds like Wojo told him to foul.

Maybe it's because I'm such a fan that it feels more painful when we lose, but dang I hate the way we lose.  Either blowout losses or games that we should have won but gave away it appears.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2020, 12:44:00 AM »
In the end, this is one of the reasons why I love road games against tough opponents. Low risk, high reward. You win and it does wonders for your tournament resume. You lose and the committee doesn't bat an eye. Just checked KenPom and our KP score went up a couple of points. Learn from it and turnaround and kick Xavier's a$$.

Mostly agree with that post, but I think winning this one really could have altered the narrative for the season. Win last night and we're ranked Monday. The next 3 are imminently winnable which would have put us 8-3 on a 7 game streak going into @Nova. At that point we're talking about playing for a protected seed.

Instead, we lose another one we "should" lose, which keeps us on track for the 9-9 record we "should" have. Which keeps us on track for a 10 seed we "should" get and a first round exit - keeping Tower and all the other mediojos happy "Look, consecutive NCAA bids, progress!"

Hopefully we can re-group, win @X and start the momentum again. But this could have been a statement victory - and the fact that we were so close makes it brutal.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2020, 02:17:35 AM »
Very frustrating game to lose.  Officiating was fine other than the blown call when the ball went off the foot of the Butler guy.  It came down to Baldwin completely taking over and Butler hardly missing a free throw.  If Baldwin is human for the last 10 minutes and even misses one or two more shots, we win.  If Butler doesn't shoot like 90% from the line, we probably win.  So give them credit.  They had to play perfect basketball to pull it out and they did.

This all being said, my main issues are pretty much wash, rinse, & repeat from prior issues.

1. Howard insisting on being the reason we win or lose instead of it being a team win or loss.  I put the blame on him & Wojo.  He does not know when to stop chucking on games he doesn't have it.  That's on him during the game, and on Wojo for not correcting it AT ALL in 3.5 years.  For anyone who watched it, I thought the postgame comments about this from FS1 were fair and spot on.  If I'm the guy who was WIDE OPEN in the corner while Markus is hoisting a contested 3 in front of two defenders several feet behind the line with 10 seconds left and us down one, I'm getting on the bus annoyed after this game.  I appreciate what Markus can do and all he does.  Full stop.  But find the open man especially on a night when you didn't have it.  Out other guys to me have proven to be a solid supporting cast.  Use them!

2. Not even attempting to change defenses on Butler when Baldwin couldn't be stopped was an exercise in maximum stubbornness.  No attempt to flash double like they did against Markus.  No switch to zone or box & 1.  No big guys hedging hard out off the screen instead of playing behind deep in the lane.  NOTHING.  Baldwin got in a grove, was completely comfortable, and we did nothing to try to make him uncomfortable.  That is bad coaching.  We didn't lose to Butler tonight.  We lost to Baldwin and we let it happen.

3. While it didn't cost us the game at the time, fouling with 20 seconds left in a tie game is beyond embarrassing.  How on earth can you not know the game situation. It is baffling and not to mention it's literally one of the most important aspects of being a coach.  At first I was screaming at Bailey (who I thought overall played well).  But it sounds like Wojo told him to foul.

Maybe it's because I'm such a fan that it feels more painful when we lose, but dang I hate the way we lose.  Either blowout losses or games that we should have won but gave away it appears.

Great post.

The loss sucked, but I'd much much rather go out like this than getting the doors blown off like the Maryland game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2020, 02:50:04 AM »
Not your best work Tower.  Blaming the refs, blaming Brendan, not having Greg. Lots of excuses. Refereeing was NOT bad at all, particularly is being the road team. Before we went into foul mode, fouls were 16-14, with us being called for two more. Hell, Theo didn’t even get in foul trouble tonight. How often does that happen?

It was a great Big East game. A battle. Fun to watch. And I felt refs did a great job...were long stretches of uninterrupted play.

I'll try to manage my shame.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2020, 06:03:19 AM »
1.  Hinkle is a house of horrors.   Kudos to the Butler crowd.   Certainly influenced some calls.   MU fans, take notice.
2.  After a few good games, Jayce wasn't great tonight.    Theo was a beast.   And played big minutes without fouling out.   But you have to secure defensive rebounds in overtime. 
3.  I mentioned it elsewhere, but for a NPOY candidate, Markus does not get a proportionate number of calls.    He made one basket after getting knocked to the ground on that lay up.   (no call)   And he looked uncomfortable after that.   Wasn't close on his shots.   Never went to the hoop again.   I hope there wasn't a concussion. 
4.  Baldwin is a winner.   It isn't like he was making uncontested shots.   Pick, roll, pull up.   Iso, spin, turnaround.  He went full hero ball and it worked.   
5.  Koby is terrible.   Until he does that last second 3 thing.   And those 3's in overtime thing.   Maybe he has been thinking too much.   
6.  Butler didn't foul when up 3.   Unless they wanted to and the player didn't execute.   
7.  Did Bailey lose track of the clock and score, or was fouling while tied with 20 seconds left part of a plan?   Would like to hear the answer to that.   
8.  Symir looked like a freshman on defense tonight.   Reminded me of Martin and Elliott a couple of years ago.
9.  The turning point of the game came when Markus had the ball literally wrestled away from him without a call and then made a lay up, took an elbow to the head and was knocked to the ground without a call.    Markus made one shot the rest of the way.    Meanwhile, it energized Baldwin.    And he took over.
10.  Need to quit missing lay ups.   Sacar.   Koby. 
11.  This one hurt.   Would have been a nice road win.    But MU doesn't suck, the season isn't over, and Wojo shouldn't be fired.    The team sure as crap didn't quit.   
11.  Greg would have been useful tonight.   

12. Woops. Forgot this one:WOJO CANT COACH. WE NEED TO HIRE AN EXPERIENCED COACH AT SAY 2 MILLION A YEAR TO HELP  WOJO WITH HIS IN GAME MANAGEMENT. WOJO JUST DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH RESOURCES. DID I MENTION THAT WOJO CANT COACH.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2020, 06:05:42 AM »
12. Woops. Forgot this one:WOJO CANT COACH. WE NEED TO HIRE AN EXPERIENCED COACH AT SAY 2 MILLION A YEAR TO HELP  WOJO WITH HIS IN GAME MANAGEMENT. WOJO JUST DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH RESOURCES. DID I MENTION THAT WOJO CANT COACH.
Woops. Forgot one more. Once again Wojo had his ass handed to him by a coach with much less experience. But I love the Wojo man.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2020, 07:05:17 AM »

well put

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2020, 07:13:44 AM »

You don't see it often, but I think there are legitimate strategically reasons to foul.  If we let the play continue, Baldwin sucks the clock down to 3 seconds, shoots, and kills us at the buzzer, especially with the way he was playing.  Wojo bet on his offense to get the ball back and score.  And in the end he was right.

It's like an NFL coach calling TO to make the other team can't run the clock all the way down before kicking the go ahead field goal.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2020, 07:18:30 AM »
You don't see it often, but I think there are legitimate strategically reasons to foul.  If we let the play continue, Baldwin sucks the clock down to 3 seconds, shoots, and kills us at the buzzer, especially with the way he was playing.  Wojo bet on his offense to get the ball back and score.  And in the end he was right.

It's like an NFL coach calling TO to make the other team can't run the clock all the way down before kicking the go ahead field goal.
...or Wojo incorrectly thought MU was down 2 as he stated.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2020, 07:18:56 AM »

But that's not what happened.  Wojo admitted he made a mistake and forgot the score.  This wasn't some sort of three dimensional chess coaching move.

And it's not a good move at all.  Make adjustments and bet on your defense.  Seriously have you EVER seen a coach do that in a tie game?

Making anaolgies to other sports don't work because...they're other sports.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2020, 07:34:02 AM »
They were running sets.   Remember those corner 3's and point blank lay ups (some of which were missed)?   Wojo put the ball in the hands of the leading scorer in college basketball, a preseason first team all american, the returning BEPOY, a player who is (unless he goes into concussion protocol) probably going to finish in the top 25 of all time scorers in D1 basketball.     And Markus didn't deliver.   

This is all great, good summary.

HOWEVER, Markus Howard isn’t a winner and cannot hit a game winning shot.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2020, 07:53:38 AM »
Cancel the rest of the season.   Off with their heads
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2020, 07:58:45 AM »
Check Markus's numbers from the 11:34 minute on.    Tell me he wasn't affected.
You are a great excuse maker. First of all there wasn't much contact at all on that Howard layup even though he took a hard fall. Basketball is a physical game. The npoy candidate should be able to take some contact and still play an effective game. He was moving up and down the court well so it wasn't a physical issue. How in the hell is he going to play in the nba. The problem was more about shot selection and fatigue.

If you want people to stop saying wojo should go then stop saying the team is great and wojo should stay all the time after every game.

As far as the game, I thought the team played well against a good team on the road at a tough place to play. The concern is they folded at the end when they had control of the game. That shouldn't happen with a 6th year head coach and when the leaders on the team are seniors. Losing this game is not a shame, the way they lost is. There is enough talent on this team to bounce back. I hope they do.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2020, 08:07:23 AM »
I'm sure MU was gassed. They basically played six guys in an OT game. It would be nice to have a roster with 13 scholarship players.

Brother Afroman, my thought exactly. Some thoughts:

1) We played about 37 minutes of great basketball in a close game. But we were gassed by the end of the game. You could see it in the poor ball handling. You could see it in the way shots were being missed -- just off the front of the rim. We could have used Greg and Ed Morrow last night big time.

2) What I saw, I still liked. The team found each other, pushed the ball around and made sure the open man shot. I was especially impressed in regulation when they calmly went down the floor with 8.5 seconds left and drained a "3". You can't coach that. It's leadership and commitment.

3) The lack of a foul when Markus was slammed to the floor and into a chair was concerning. The refs need to do better. I would concur Markus was not the same afterward. Some of the change probably was the aftereffect of the impact and some of it was Butler's defense that stuck to Markus so closely that I think they were inside his uniform.

4) I'm seeing a much improved team compared to the Creighton debacle. I said earlier in the year I wanted  to Make Marquette Feared Again. I think others in the Big East are afraid of us.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2020, 08:13:12 AM »
Some things.   1.   I was wrong about the time of the shot to the head.   15:44.   Mea Culpa.   At which time Markus had 24 points and 6 assists.     2.  I was 100% right about the shot to the head.    I just watched it in real time and the replay.    In real time, after Markus has been on the ground for a few seconds and his teammates are walking up to the ref with WTF looks on their faces, you clearly hear the ref say "He wasn't pushed."    However, watching the replay, you clearly see Baddley, after trying for the chase down block, hit Markus in the head with his elbow on the follow through.   

The next 20 minutes of game play saw Markus make one shot.    I am sure it is just a coincidence.   

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2020, 08:13:54 AM »

But that's not what happened.  Wojo admitted he made a mistake and forgot the score.  This wasn't some sort of three dimensional chess coaching move.

And it's not a good move at all.  Make adjustments and bet on your defense.  Seriously have you EVER seen a coach do that in a tie game?

Making anaolgies to other sports don't work because...they're other sports.
I made an argument similar to SaveOD last night and the strategy actually worked.  I see good reasons for doing it.  We got the ball back down one with 20 seconds to go, which I would prefer to being tied with the other team taking the last shot with our options being lose or OT. 

However, the fact that it wasn't strategy at all and we did it because he didn't know the score is inexcusable, as is the fact that once again Markus rushed a well-defended 3 while double covered after we ran no offense and the fact that we hadn't already done something on defense to force Baldwin to face multiple defenders.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2020, 08:15:08 AM »
You are a great excuse maker. First of all there wasn't much contact at all on that Howard layup even though he took a hard fall. Basketball is a physical game. The npoy candidate should be able to take some contact and still play an effective game. He was moving up and down the court well so it wasn't a physical issue. How in the hell is he going to play in the nba. The problem was more about shot selection and fatigue.

If you want people to stop saying wojo should go then stop saying the team is great and wojo should stay all the time after every game.

As far as the game, I thought the team played well against a good team on the road at a tough place to play. The concern is they folded at the end when they had control of the game. That shouldn't happen with a 6th year head coach and when the leaders on the team are seniors. Losing this game is not a shame, the way they lost is. There is enough talent on this team to bounce back. I hope they do.

Right now, this is a tournament team.    Check any bracketology.     Despite the Hausers leaving.   Despite Ed leaving.    Despite a number of injuries.    I always thought a sign of success was being a tournament team.    Clearly, I was misinformed.   

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2020, 08:24:29 AM »
Some things.   1.   I was wrong about the time of the shot to the head.   15:44.   Mea Culpa.   At which time Markus had 24 points and 6 assists.     2.  I was 100% right about the shot to the head.    I just watched it in real time and the replay.    In real time, after Markus has been on the ground for a few seconds and his teammates are walking up to the ref with WTF looks on their faces, you clearly hear the ref say "He wasn't pushed."    However, watching the replay, you clearly see Baddley, after trying for the chase down block, hit Markus in the head with his elbow on the follow through.   

The next 20 minutes of game play saw Markus make one shot.    I am sure it is just a coincidence.
There wasnt much contact. He hit his head on the chair mainly from his momentum. Even if I buy your premise of that particular play caused mh to suck the rest of the way, then that's weak from a player of his caliber. Like I said basketball is a physical game you have to be able to play through hits as long as you can physically. If he cant then he shouldn't have been in there.

Look I love Marcus. He played great most of the game and most of the season, but call it what it is he played like crap down the stretch and tried to force it too much.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2020, 08:38:13 AM »
Right now, this is a tournament team.    Check any bracketology.     Despite the Hausers leaving.   Despite Ed leaving.    Despite a number of injuries.    I always thought a sign of success was being a tournament team.    Clearly, I was misinformed.
What in the hell does this have anything to do with my post. Did I say it wasnt a tournament team? What are u talking about.

Btw I thought the hausers leaving was going to make the team better. You know. More athletic, play as a team, other guys will develop.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:44:21 AM by hairy worthen »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2020, 08:41:47 AM »
I have said he played terrible down the stretch.   The difference is that I have drawn a line at that play.   Prior to that play 24 points in 24 minutes.    After that play 2 points in 20 minutes.    And I have seen flagrants called for less elbow to head contact than that.   

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2020, 08:47:31 AM »
In any given year 40-50% of the Power 6 teams make the field (Last year it was 47%).  It is a nice accomplishment, but to me a good team is a team who gets there and has a chance to do damage, to get to the second weekend.  I don't think we've had one of those teams yet under Wojo.  This team seems to be improving, so maybe by tournament time this will be one of those teams.  I hope so, but not quite seeing it yet.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2020, 08:50:59 AM »
We play better when the entire team is contributing.

We've all seen MU win both ways, balance among the team, or Markus having to take over. But I agree the success potential is greater when more people are involved on offense, scoring, moving with and without the ball and involved playing with confidence.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2020, 08:54:20 AM »
I prefer everyone involved.    And last night Sacar went for 22, Brendan for 14, and Koby for 13.    They picked up the slack when Markus stunk for the last 20 minutes.    At times, it looked like they were using Markus as a decoy to eliminate weak side help while Sacar, Koby, and Bailey worked the strong side.       This actually gives me hope for next year.   

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2020, 08:56:16 AM »
I have said he played terrible down the stretch.   The difference is that I have drawn a line at that play.   Prior to that play 24 points in 24 minutes.    After that play 2 points in 20 minutes.    And I have seen flagrants called for less elbow to head contact than that.
I cant tell if he hit I'm or not, cant find a slow motion of the play. When they showed it last night in slow motion it didn't look like he made contact. It sure wasnt a flagrant he was going to block the ball. I agree with you he played terrible after that play the thing is he shouldn't have or then he shouldn't have been in. Look at some of his shots. Terrible shot selection and difficult shots. What does that have to with a physical basketball play. It's an excuse.