[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bitchin' Kamar-o  (Read 18473 times)

Fred Garvin

• All American
Re: Bitchin' Kamar-o
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2020, 11:15:55 PM »
I think our bench coaches can take some blame as well,if your going to RIP Wojo,is there no communication between them?

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2020, 11:17:36 PM »
I think our bench coaches can take some blame as well,if your going to RIP Wojo,is there no communication between them?

Agreed. Don't they have like eight assistant coaches?

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2020, 11:20:26 PM »
As Maine goes, so goes the nation.

As Markus goes, so goes MU.

This was a very winnable game that was given away.

We'll see what Wojo can do with his wonderful frosh class but I don't think he's got great coach DNA.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2020, 11:21:12 PM »
iI’ve watched every televised Marquette game for years.  I want Wojo to succeed, but something is wrong.  They make too many bad plays down the stretch.  I’ll-advised shots, poor defensive strategy, no set plays.

Wojo needs an experienced bench coach.  Someone who has his ear in these moments.  A man who can set plays and deliver messages to players that it’s more important to get a good shot than which player takes the shot.  It’s shocking that message has not gotten through.  It’s a poor reflection and leads to anxiety in any close game because too many games have been lost due to corrective mistakes that have not been corrected. 
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2020, 11:22:45 PM »
Great game and not a bad loss at all....Wojo definitely signaled for Bailey to foul so that’s on him and I hope he owns it but with how the game shook out it had zero effect on the result.

So frustrating to continue to see such a vocal minority of our fanbase cheer and pick him apart with every decision. We fire him and we probably lose half of our top 10 recruiting class and Who says there is a better coach out there just waiting for the MU job to open up.  Quit being a bunch of reactionary boomers and calm down.
Thank you....voice of reason after a tough road loss that we could have won.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2020, 11:25:19 PM »
iI’ve watched every televised Marquette game for years.  I want Wojo to succeed, but something is wrong.  They make too many bad plays down the stretch.  I’ll-advised shots, poor defensive strategy, no set plays.

Wojo needs an experienced bench coach.  Someone who has his ear in these moments.  A man who can set plays and deliver messages to players that it’s more important to get a good shot than which player takes the shot.  It’s shocking that message has not gotten through.  It’s a poor reflection and leads to anxiety in any close game because too many games have been lost due to corrective mistakes that have not been corrected.
They were running sets.   Remember those corner 3's and point blank lay ups (some of which were missed)?   Wojo put the ball in the hands of the leading scorer in college basketball, a preseason first team all american, the returning BEPOY, a player who is (unless he goes into concussion protocol) probably going to finish in the top 25 of all time scorers in D1 basketball.     And Markus didn't deliver.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2020, 11:25:37 PM »

11.  This one hurt.   Would have been a nice road win.    But MU doesn't suck, the season isn't over, and Wojo shouldn't be fired.    The team sure as crap didn't quit.   

My season outlook remains unchanged.  Since this team won't contend for a BE title, just find a way to squeak into the tourney and hope Markus shoots us into the 2nd weekend.

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2020, 11:26:18 PM »
So...

1) If that is truly the case, and not just an excuse. He should have never been on the floor. At all. Period.

2) This is not the first time we've seen this from Howard.

Wojo will NEVER reign in Markus.  NEVER.  IMO it’s his biggest weakness.  Its happened enough to affect the trajectory of a season. It happened tonight, it happened v Maryland, and it was the reason for the losing streak last year down the stretch when Markus hurt his wrist and played like garbage for 9 games yet still had his “ultimate green light”.  And it’s why Sam is now at UVA (joey’s a bitch and would’ve left anyway). 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2020, 11:28:45 PM »
Yeah, forcing the ball to Theo wasn't the best offensive strategy.    Sacar and Bailey were solid.     They quit running the set that was getting Koby lay ups and Sacar corner 3's.    The one thing missing from Sacar's game is the willingness to consistently finish through contact.

Yep, you had it correct, both Anim and McEwen need to finish their drives to the hoop better, especially through contact but also uncontested ones too. Would be a difference maker.

(By the way, credit to Theo for making two big FT’s later in the game. I would need to check but he has to be over 60% or so and his shot there looks better. Hopefully he can keep it going.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:34:09 PM by shoothoops »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2020, 11:34:50 PM »
My season outlook remains unchanged.  Since this team won't contend for a BE title, just find a way to squeak into the tourney and hope Markus shoots us into the 2nd weekend.
We play better when the entire team is contributing.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2020, 11:35:36 PM »
Great game and not a bad loss at all....Wojo definitely signaled for Bailey to foul so that’s on him and I hope he owns it but with how the game shook out it had zero effect on the result.

So frustrating to continue to see such a vocal minority of our fanbase cheer and pick him apart with every decision. We fire him and we probably lose half of our top 10 recruiting class and Who says there is a better coach out there just waiting for the MU job to open up.  Quit being a bunch of reactionary boomers and calm down.

Losing at Hinkle when Baldwin scores 30 isn't a bad loss. I'll agree with that. Losing a game that we led for like 38 minutes is kinda bad, though. We had an 83% chance to win with 2:30 to play, but then we let Baldwin beat us over and over then added in some highly questionable decisions in the final 20 seconds. All leading to coughing up a game that we comfortably led for the nearly the entire game.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:41:22 PM by skianth16 »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2020, 11:37:47 PM »
(By the way, credit to Theo for making two big FT’s later in the game. I would need to check but he has to be over 60% or so and his shot there looks better. Hopefully he can keep it going.)
Agreed.  He worked on his FTs a lot during the offseason, and he no longer puts excessive arc on the shot.  Now increasing his FT% from 50% to 60% might only add 10 points during the course of the season, but tonight it give us a chance to stay in the game.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2020, 11:38:27 PM »
1.  Hinkle is a house of horrors.   Kudos to the Butler crowd.   Certainly influenced some calls.   MU fans, take notice.
2.  After a few good games, Jayce wasn't great tonight.    Theo was a beast.   And played big minutes without fouling out.   But you have to secure defensive rebounds in overtime. 
3.  I mentioned it elsewhere, but for a NPOY candidate, Markus does not get a proportionate number of calls.    He made one basket after getting knocked to the ground on that lay up.   (no call)   And he looked uncomfortable after that.   Wasn't close on his shots.   Never went to the hoop again.   I hope there wasn't a concussion. 
4.  Baldwin is a winner.   It isn't like he was making uncontested shots.   Pick, roll, pull up.   Iso, spin, turnaround.  He went full hero ball and it worked.   
5.  Koby is terrible.   Until he does that last second 3 thing.   And those 3's in overtime thing.   Maybe he has been thinking too much.   
6.  Butler didn't foul when up 3.   Unless they wanted to and the player didn't execute.   
7.  Did Bailey lose track of the clock and score, or was fouling while tied with 20 seconds left part of a plan?   Would like to hear the answer to that.   
8.  Symir looked like a freshman on defense tonight.   Reminded me of Martin and Elliott a couple of years ago.
9.  The turning point of the game came when Markus had the ball literally wrestled away from him without a call and then made a lay up, took an elbow to the head and was knocked to the ground without a call.    Markus made one shot the rest of the way.    Meanwhile, it energized Baldwin.    And he took over.
10.  Need to quit missing lay ups.   Sacar.   Koby. 
11.  This one hurt.   Would have been a nice road win.    But MU doesn't suck, the season isn't over, and Wojo shouldn't be fired.    The team sure as crap didn't quit.   
11.  Greg would have been useful tonight.   

Not your best work Tower.  Blaming the refs, blaming Brendan, not having Greg. Lots of excuses. Refereeing was NOT bad at all, particularly is being the road team. Before we went into foul mode, fouls were 16-14, with us being called for two more. Hell, Theo didn’t even get in foul trouble tonight. How often does that happen?

It was a great Big East game. A battle. Fun to watch. And I felt refs did a great job...were long stretches of uninterrupted play.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2020, 11:38:53 PM »
Hard to put this on anyone but Wojo.  Hurts much more than PC at home (despite what NET might say) IMO because we were the better team tonight while we weren't against PC.  We had a deserved 4 pt lead at half, stretched it to 6 by the under 16, still at 6 at the under 12, still at 6 at the under 8, down to 4 at the under 4, still at 4 with 90 seconds to go, and somehow we need a prayer with sub 10sec just to force OT?  I haven't been on the fire Wojo train ever, but if it comes out tomorrow that Markus is in concussion protocol, that might swing it for me.  BU was selling out on Markus and forcing others to be them, and Sacar and BB were answering the call, yet we turn to a possibly concussed Markus to take an ill advised 3 when only down 1?  Just another questionable crunch time call by Wojo.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2020, 11:39:57 PM »
Why didn’t Elliott play? 

The highlight of the game for me is Bailey took initiative on offense to create a few shots, like his fade-away.

He’s out with an ankle injury. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2020, 11:43:12 PM »
Non Markus players shot 12-20 from 3. 

MU wasted a very efficient night by them. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:49:56 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2020, 11:45:26 PM »
Check Markus's numbers from the 11:34 minute on.    Tell me he wasn't affected.

There is a concussion protocol now in college hoops.

As for why Markus struggled down the stretch - I’d point toward fatigue - and it is something that concerns me come March. Beyond fatigue, believe Butler shifted Kamar Baldwin as primary defender and they were hard hedging any ball screen. Lavin said it well at half - play Markus off the ball, as all you do with him being primary ball handler is to bring other defenders into the area on ball screens.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 10:12:36 AM by Elonsmusk »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2020, 11:51:11 PM »
Marquette had a 87% chance of winning this game with 2:36 to go in regulation, per Pomeroy.

Here is what happened with four time outs and a break with Bailey fouling out for five total stoppages. Wojo owned this but the situationals were poor and poorly executed. What’s clear was MU was riding Markus and Butler was riding Baldwin. What happened at that 44 second time out will be discussed for years as absolutely the assistants should have been reminding everyone in the huddle of the score and time.  More so, it is also clear Jordan was adjusting to Markus on defense and Wojo was NOT adjusting to Baldwin...and only focused on offense.

Captain Obvious and Pomeroy say this was a gift wrapped present. That said, it was a great game and great effort by both teams. Certainly, a Warrior effort.

02:36   GOOD JUMPER by HOWARD,MARKUS   68 (+6)   Marquette   62   
02:21      68 (+4)   Butler   64   GOOD JUMPER by BALDWIN,KAMAR
01:55   TIMEOUT 30SEC by TEAM            
01:55   TIMEOUT MEDIA by TEAM            
01:49   MISS JUMPER by ANIM,SACAR            
--               REBOUND DEF by TEAM
01:35               TIMEOUT 30SEC by TEAM
01:29      68 (+2)   Butler   66   GOOD JUMPER by BALDWIN,KAMAR
01:02   TURNOVER by HOWARD,MARKUS            
01:02               STEAL by MCDERMOTT,SEAN
00:49      68   Butler   68   GOOD JUMPER by BALDWIN,KAMAR(in the paint)
00:44   TIMEOUT TEAM by TEAM            
00:26   MISS 3PTR by HOWARD,MARKUS            
--               REBOUND DEF by BALDWIN,KAMAR
00:20   FOUL by BAILEY,BRENDAN            
00:20      68   Butler   69 (+1)   GOOD FT by BALDWIN,KAMAR
00:20               MISS FT by BALDWIN,KAMAR
--   REBOUND DEF by MCEWEN,KOBY            
00:11   MISS 3PTR by HOWARD,MARKUS            
00:08   FOUL by HOWARD,MARKUS            
00:08      68   Butler   70 (+2)   GOOD FT by BALDWIN,KAMAR
00:08      68   Butler   71 (+3)   GOOD FT by BALDWIN,KAMAR
00:08               TIMEOUT TEAM by TEAM
00:08   SUB OUT by JOHN,THEO            
00:08   SUB IN by CAIN,JAMAL            
00:02   GOOD 3PTR by MCEWEN,KOBY(fastbreak)   71   Marquette   71   
00:00               MISS 3PTR by BALDWIN,KAMAR
--               

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2020, 12:02:03 AM »
We play better when the entire team is contributing.

I'm talking about Markus being in the zone. Just getting lucky that he has one or two of those games.

Of course we still need the supporting cast, but to get to the 2nd weekend will take vintage Howard.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2020, 12:10:24 AM »
Marquette had a 87% chance of winning this game with 2:36 to go in regulation, per Pomeroy.

Here is what happened with four time outs and a break with Bailey fouling out for five total stoppages. Wojo owned this but the situationals were poor and poorly executed. What’s clear was MU was riding Markus and Butler was riding Baldwin. What happened at that 44 second time out will be discussed for years as absolutely the assistants should have been reminding everyone in the huddle of the score and time.  More so, it is also clear Jordan was adjusting to Markus on defense and Wojo was NOT adjusting to Baldwin...and only focused on offense.

Captain Obvious and Pomeroy say this was a gift wrapped present. That said, it was a great game and great effort by both teams. Certainly, a Warrior effort.

02:36   GOOD JUMPER by HOWARD,MARKUS   68 (+6)   Marquette   62   
02:21      68 (+4)   Butler   64   GOOD JUMPER by BALDWIN,KAMAR
01:55   TIMEOUT 30SEC by TEAM            
01:55   TIMEOUT MEDIA by TEAM            
01:49   MISS JUMPER by ANIM,SACAR            
--               REBOUND DEF by TEAM
01:35               TIMEOUT 30SEC by TEAM
01:29      68 (+2)   Butler   66   GOOD JUMPER by BALDWIN,KAMAR
01:02   TURNOVER by HOWARD,MARKUS            
01:02               STEAL by MCDERMOTT,SEAN
00:49      68   Butler   68   GOOD JUMPER by BALDWIN,KAMAR(in the paint)
00:44   TIMEOUT TEAM by TEAM            
00:26   MISS 3PTR by HOWARD,MARKUS            
00:20   FOUL by BAILEY,BRENDAN            
00:20      68   Butler   69 (+1)   GOOD FT by BALDWIN,KAMAR
00:20               MISS FT by BALDWIN,KAMAR
--   REBOUND DEF by MCEWEN,KOBY            
00:11   MISS 3PTR by HOWARD,MARKUS            
00:08   FOUL by HOWARD,MARKUS            
00:08      68   Butler   70 (+2)   GOOD FT by BALDWIN,KAMAR
00:08      68   Butler   71 (+3)   GOOD FT by BALDWIN,KAMAR
00:08               TIMEOUT TEAM by TEAM
00:08   SUB OUT by JOHN,THEO            
00:08   SUB IN by CAIN,JAMAL            
00:02   GOOD 3PTR by MCEWEN,KOBY(fastbreak)   71   Marquette   71   
00:00               MISS 3PTR by BALDWIN,KAMAR
--               

That’s brutal. That’s why you get paid the bucks - to figure out how to win games where you are up by 6 with 2:38 left.

Wojo/team could have turned the corner with this one, but instead snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Sure it’s only “one game” and one we were “expected to lose” but some games are bigger than others. This would have put us on track for top three finish and a 5-6 seed. A loss keeps us on our 9 seed path and an early exit. Mediocrity.

A few more chances to change the narrative, but not likely to get many better chances than this.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2020, 12:12:02 AM »
Tonight sucked. Big picture, we lost a game by 4 that we were projected to lose by 6.

It's beyond frustrating to lose that way but they should be fine for the rest of the year. That was the most difficult game left on the schedule per Kenpom.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2020, 12:16:26 AM »
Tonight sucked. Big picture, we lost a game by 4 that we were projected to lose by 6.

It's beyond frustrating to lose that way but they should be fine for the rest of the year. That was the most difficult game left on the schedule per Kenpom.

“Should be fine”

That’s the thing, we’ve been fine for awhile.  We’re trying to get somewhere and we’re not going to get there only winning the games KenPom says we will. We need to steal a few.  Big opportunity lost. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2020, 12:22:12 AM »
AGREED! I feel so sorry for Wojo because of the players and assistant coaches he is forced to deal with. Maybe someday Marquette will let Wojo pick one assistant coach and maybe two players. I bet we'd be in the Final Four if MU trusted Wojo to pick coaches and players. ..... Well maybe someday.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2020, 12:25:20 AM »
“Should be fine”

That’s the thing, we’ve been fine for awhile.  We’re trying to get somewhere and we’re not going to get there only winning the games KenPom says we will. We need to steal a few.  Big opportunity lost.

We mostly agree. Definitely a missed opportunity. Hopefully we get a good bounceback on Wednesday.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2020, 12:26:50 AM »
AGREED! I feel so sorry for Wojo because of the players and assistant coaches he is forced to deal with. Maybe someday Marquette will let Wojo pick one assistant coach and maybe two players. I bet we'd be in the Final Four if MU trusted Wojo to pick coaches and players. ..... Well maybe someday.

Don't forget.....we need more blessings from the Father during Half Time.  That could have been the difference tonight - not to mention an abacus.

feedback