'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bitchin' Kamar-o  (Read 18472 times)

pacearrow02

• Starter
Re: Bitchin' Kamar-o
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2020, 10:57:37 PM »
Great game and not a bad loss at all....Wojo definitely signaled for Bailey to foul so that’s on him and I hope he owns it but with how the game shook out it had zero effect on the result.

So frustrating to continue to see such a vocal minority of our fanbase cheer and pick him apart with every decision. We fire him and we probably lose half of our top 10 recruiting class and Who says there is a better coach out there just waiting for the MU job to open up.  Quit being a bunch of reactionary boomers and calm down. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2020, 10:57:53 PM »
He had 6 assists in the first half.    He had 26 points at the 11:34 mark.    The rest of the game, he was listless, off on all of his shots.   I agree he was terrible.  I agree that his decision making in the last quarter of the game was lousy.    Why was he terrible?    There is a clear inflection point.

So...

1) If that is truly the case, and not just an excuse. He should have never been on the floor. At all. Period.

2) This is not the first time we've seen this from Howard.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2020, 10:57:58 PM »
1. We fouled in a tie game to put the team on the line. And we did it on purpose.
2. We refused to change up how we defended the high ball screen for Baldwin giving him open 12-16 footers the entire second half over time. Maybe try something different and hedge or even rush the ball screen to get it out of his hands?  Instead we just threw up our hands.
This is completely on WOJO!!!!!   What the hell are you doing????

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2020, 10:58:08 PM »
Hey Markus, you don't have to shoot it.  You have four other teammates. 

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2020, 10:58:16 PM »
9. If the refs call that foul on Baldwin, who knows.....

In the Fiserv I expect no call when Theo drops an elbow on Kamars head after a layup.

Markus was definitely not the same after that play.

So angry right now.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2020, 10:58:35 PM »
Why does it seem like Marquette has more gut-punch losses than other teams over the years?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2020, 10:58:50 PM »
I'm sure MU was gassed. They basically played six guys in an OT game. It would be nice to have a roster with 13 scholarship players.

Has never happened under Wojo. One way or another, MU almost always finishes the season with a short bench.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2020, 10:59:42 PM »
He had 6 assists in the first half.    He had 26 points at the 11:34 mark.    The rest of the game, he was listless, off on all of his shots.   I agree he was terrible.  I agree that his decision making in the last quarter of the game was lousy.    Why was he terrible?    There is a clear inflection point.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2020, 11:00:01 PM »
Great game and not a bad loss at all....Wojo definitely signaled for Bailey to foul so that’s on him and I hope he owns it but with how the game shook out it had zero effect on the result.

So frustrating to continue to see such a vocal minority of our fanbase cheer and pick him apart with every decision. We fire him and we probably lose half of our top 10 recruiting class and Who says there is a better coach out there just waiting for the MU job to open up.  Quit being a bunch of reactionary boomers and calm down. 

It was a terrible loss.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2020, 11:01:19 PM »
Why does it seem like Marquette has more gut-punch losses than other teams over the years?
Because they are your team and you feel them more.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2020, 11:02:13 PM »
Refs weren’t a problem. It was a physical, consistently called game.
Weren’t a problem.......not sure what that covers.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2020, 11:04:39 PM »

Because they absolutely do...glad someone else feels/sees/thinks that as well. It's so damn maddening.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2020, 11:05:39 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2020, 11:05:56 PM »
We lost .  Victory has many fathers and defeat is an orphan.

Focus on next game now.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

dr77

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2020, 11:07:35 PM »
Totally agree with Its DJ Over.  What is the possible risk of any kind of defensive change for us in the last 5 minutes of the 2nd half?  Baldwin might score on us?  He's absolutely killing us from midrange, why not go zone for at least a possession or two? Markus was off, I get it, and we can talk about how he should or shouldn't be chuckin' it at the end, but one or two defensive stops in the last 5 minutes and its all different.  Frozen Wojo…

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2020, 11:08:13 PM »

The post game show is ripping Howard.
Not really.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2020, 11:09:19 PM »
Probably.   And replaced with whom?

Last four minutes, I believe he was 1-4, with 2 turnovers. I get what you’re saying, but at some point in the second half, Howard became a replacement level player.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2020, 11:09:26 PM »
1.  Hinkle is a house of horrors.   Kudos to the Butler crowd.   Certainly influenced some calls.   MU fans, take notice.
2.  After a few good games, Jayce wasn't great tonight.    Theo was a beast.   And played big minutes without fouling out.   But you have to secure defensive rebounds in overtime. 
3.  I mentioned it elsewhere, but for a NPOY candidate, Markus does not get a proportionate number of calls.    He made one basket after getting knocked to the ground on that lay up.   (no call)   And he looked uncomfortable after that.   Wasn't close on his shots.   Never went to the hoop again.   I hope there wasn't a concussion. 
4.  Baldwin is a winner.   It isn't like he was making uncontested shots.   Pick, roll, pull up.   Iso, spin, turnaround.  He went full hero ball and it worked.   
5.  Koby is terrible.   Until he does that last second 3 thing.   And those 3's in overtime thing.   Maybe he has been thinking too much.   
6.  Butler didn't foul when up 3.   Unless they wanted to and the player didn't execute.   
7.  Did Bailey lose track of the clock and score, or was fouling while tied with 20 seconds left part of a plan?   Would like to hear the answer to that.   
8.  Symir looked like a freshman on defense tonight.   Reminded me of Martin and Elliott a couple of years ago.
9.  The turning point of the game came when Markus had the ball literally wrestled away from him without a call and then made a lay up, took an elbow to the head and was knocked to the ground without a call.    Markus made one shot the rest of the way.    Meanwhile, it energized Baldwin.    And he took over.
10.  Need to quit missing lay ups.   Sacar.   Koby. 
11.  This one hurt.   Would have been a nice road win.    But MU doesn't suck, the season isn't over, and Wojo shouldn't be fired.    The team sure as crap didn't quit.   
11.  Greg would have been useful tonight.   

Baldwin shoots 85% from the line. He was mistakenly fouled on purpose because either Bailey or the bench made a big mistake. Butler made 27 of 31 Free Throws.

Free Throws and Baldwin were the difference for Butler. MU couldn't guard Baldwin nor the pick and roll in 2nd half.

Late game self destruction for MU in an otherwise good effort.

Theo struggles on D when pulled away from the hoop. Otherwise he can be a beast rim protector in the paint. He tried a few but limited ill advised 6-7 foot jump hooks.

Strong Sacar game and Bailey. Big shots late Kobe. Need string together two halves. Bailey's game is all about confidence. MU was shooting it well.

Staff has to recognize Markus situation (injury?) sooner. Others were scoring and shooting it well, need to get better shots late within the offense, value the ball.

Tough one to lose leading much of the game. Up 9 multiple times but couldn't extend it.

TFlegend

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2020, 11:10:13 PM »
Markus is fun as hell when he is on fire.   But, as the last three years have shown, you won't win anything of significance with Markus as your best player.  Wojo + Markus....I've see this movie before and know how it ends. 

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2020, 11:10:17 PM »
Totally agree with Its DJ Over.  What is the possible risk of any kind of defensive change for us in the last 5 minutes of the 2nd half?  Baldwin might score on us?  He's absolutely killing us from midrange, why not go zone for at least a possession or two? Markus was off, I get it, and we can talk about how he should or shouldn't be chuckin' it at the end, but one or two defensive stops in the last 5 minutes and its all different.  Frozen Wojo…

Frojo?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2020, 11:10:43 PM »
The way he looked in the huddle  I was surprised he wasnt in concussion protocol
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2020, 11:12:23 PM »
Baldwin shoots 85% from the line. He was mistakenly fouled on purpose because either Bailey or the bench made a big mistake. Butler made 27 of 31 Free Throws.

Free Throws and Baldwin were the difference for Butler. MU couldn't guard Baldwin nor the pick and roll in 2nd half.

Late game self destruction for MU in an otherwise good effort.

Theo struggles on D when pulled away from the hoop. Otherwise he can be a beast rim protector in the paint. He tried a few but limited ill advised 6-7 foot jump hooks.

Strong Sacar game and Bailey. Big shots late Kobe. Need string together two halves. Bailey's game is all about confidence. MU was shooting it well.

Staff has to recognize Markus situation (injury?) sooner. Others were scoring and shooting it well, need to get better shots late within the offense, value the ball.

Tough one to lose leading much of the game. Up 9 multiple times but couldn't extend it.

Yeah, forcing the ball to Theo wasn't the best offensive strategy.    Sacar and Bailey were solid.     They quit running the set that was getting Koby lay ups and Sacar corner 3's.    The one thing missing from Sacar's game is the willingness to consistently finish through contact.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2020, 11:13:36 PM »
The way he looked in the huddle  I was surprised he wasnt in concussion protocol

I will be angrier at Wojo if he knowingly left Markus out there with a concussion than I ever would be over a loss.   

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2020, 11:14:03 PM »

PaceArrow, it’s amazing how clearly you are able to see into the future!

“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
- Winston S. Churchill

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2020, 11:14:39 PM »
13, heck we can't even keep 9.

Why didn’t Elliott play? 

The highlight of the game for me is Bailey took initiative on offense to create a few shots, like his fade-away.