[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Baldwin vs Howard  (Read 15595 times)

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
Re: Baldwin vs Howard
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2020, 02:05:32 AM »
For MU to have any chance of doing anything this year, they need a strong and fresh Markus at the end of games. It seems he often noticeably wears down.

Worn down or beat down??

Am I the only one who saw Markus get elbowed in the head by Kamar and crumple to the floor in agony??

Am I the only one who noticed his game completely drop off??

I know I'm not the only one, but some people are acting like it never happened. WTAF.

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2020, 07:06:35 AM »
hit on the head or not, we have seen this before from howard at the end of big games. great scorer, but not a clutch guy who makes winning plays at the end of a close game against good teams

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2020, 08:07:21 AM »
Worn down or beat down??

Am I the only one who saw Markus get elbowed in the head by Kamar and crumple to the floor in agony??

I know I'm not the only one, but some people are acting like it never happened. WTAF.

I just went back and watched the play.   Howard goes up for the lay up, Baddley goes for the chase down block, misses, and clearly hits Howard in the head with his right elbow.   You can see Howard's head recoil.   He tumbles into the chairs and probably hits his head again.   That part is hard to see.    The MU players are walking up the ref with WTF looks on their faces.  In the original, you can hear the official yell "He wasn't pushed."

So, the officiating crew clearly missed the follow through elbow.    And, I was wrong.   I was thinking it was at the under 12 and had 11:34 stuck in my head.    It actually occurred with 15:44 left in the game, at which point Howard had 24 points and 6 assists.   During the next 20 minutes of play, he had two points and 0 assists.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2020, 08:25:13 AM »
I just went back and watched the play.   Howard goes up for the lay up, Baddley goes for the chase down block, misses, and clearly hits Howard in the head with his right elbow.   You can see Howard's head recoil.   He tumbles into the chairs and probably hits his head again.   That part is hard to see.    The MU players are walking up the ref with WTF looks on their faces.  In the original, you can hear the official yell "He wasn't pushed."

So, the officiating crew clearly missed the follow through elbow.    And, I was wrong.   I was thinking it was at the under 12 and had 11:34 stuck in my head.    It actually occurred with 15:44 left in the game, at which point Howard had 24 points and 6 assists.   During the next 20 minutes of play, he had two points and 0 assists.

You are correct, it was Baddley. I thought it was Baldwin. All I saw was the elbow to the head and then my focus was on Markus because I thought he could be seriously hurt. I also was looking at the refs for some kind of a whistle. Nothing. I've also seen and played a lot of basketball and it looked intentional AF. If Wojo doesn't at least ask the conference officials to look at the play he may not be the right coach for Marquette. You gotta protect your players as a coach. It's rule number one.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2020, 08:39:22 AM »
A little disappointed he did not lose his $h!t and get a T there.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2020, 08:53:29 AM »
How can a coach be in Year 6 and still look spooked and be clueless in certain situations? HE DEFINITELY SHOULD HAVE BEEN T'D UP AFTER SEEING HIS STAR GET A NO-CALL AFTER GETTING CLOBBERED LIKE THAT!

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2020, 09:20:01 AM »
A little disappointed he did not lose his $h!t and get a T there.

If ever a time called for it, that was the time. I'm sure if Marquette had lost the game anyway he would have been blasted for getting the T but at some point, as a coach you have to take a stand.

The craziest thing, is that the refs should have been watching for a flagrant foul because Butler was obviously pissed that Markus was getting calls in the first half. They got T'd up right at the half after a foul on Markus.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2020, 09:22:33 AM »
If ever a time called for it, that was the time. I'm sure if Marquette had lost the game anyway he would have been blasted for getting the T but at some point, as a coach you have to take a stand.

The craziest thing, is that the refs should have been watching for a flagrant foul because Butler was obviously pissed that Markus was getting calls in the first half. They got T'd up right at the half after a foul on Markus.

Exactly. That was a calculated T on the part of their coach.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2020, 09:24:04 AM »
Worn down or beat down??

So if it so obvious to you Makus was impaired, what are you saying about Wojo? More bad coaching? Should he have sat him or asked him to be a decoy? Good chance we win if he did either.

I guess Wojo just had a really bad night. Too bad, his players deserved better.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2020, 09:26:44 AM »
Markus was essentially a decoy for about the next 12 minutes    Sacar and Bailey hit shots and they were feeding Theo in the post, for better or for worse.     The last 3 minutes of regulation, Markus tried to take over and wasn't even close.   

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2020, 09:37:29 AM »
By the rules, they probably should have looked at it. But it wasn't intentional. That stuff happens in the course of a game.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2020, 09:47:03 AM »
Pretty sure Markus hit the side of his head hard on the leg of the chair after Baddley hit him. You can see him sliding and then stop, suddenly with his head snapping sideways. I’d be really surprised if he didn’t have a concussion.
I also thought there were signs throughout that second half that his legs were tired. So many shots just short before he started missing more wildly. Hope he is ok and get some rest. That was a busy week.

As for the possible concussion, a similar thing happened with Powell earlier in the year in one of SH’s non-conf games if I recall correctly. He kept playing after getting hit but was not himself. They eventually removed him from the game because he was clearly not himself. I think he even asked why they were scrimmaging at wherever they were playing (Rutgers maybe). He was in the protocol after that.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2020, 09:51:55 AM »
I'm saying Marquette lost a close game after its best player got intentionally elbowed in the head AND didn't get a call.
It was not intentional.  Jesus.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2020, 09:54:29 AM »
I'm saying Marquettes best player got elbowed in the head and no call. He wasn't the same from that point on in a game that went to overtime.

Is it really that hard to understand??

Theo accidentally poked McDermott in the eye contesting a shot, and no foul was called.  Things happen.  The game is moving fast.

And to post multiple times about wanting to extract revenge when Butler visits us?  Are you an adult? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2020, 09:54:53 AM »
I don't think it was intentional.   Just like I don't think Theo meant to poke the Butler player in the eye.    K v Kstate was intentional.   

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2020, 10:03:27 AM »
So if it so obvious to you Makus was impaired, what are you saying about Wojo? More bad coaching? Should he have sat him or asked him to be a decoy? Good chance we win if he did either.

I guess Wojo just had a really bad night. Too bad, his players deserved better.

You may have noticed that Wojo and Markus have a unique relationship.

Markus decides when he plays and when he shoots, and Wojo gets the benefit of exploiting Markus for his scoring and recruiting purposes.

I am a big fan of Markus, and I think he deserves the chance to showcase his skills. Some games he will showcase his faults. I can live with that because this was never going to be "The Year", even if the Hausers had stayed. This year is all about recruiting, and getting Mane is still the number one priority. Markus' ultimate green light may help make that priority a reality.

I am hopeful that this years team makes the tournament and has some success but I'm not so delusional as to think this is a National Championship caliber team. I think Wojo knows that too.

Next years recruits along with this years returning talent will give Marquette the best shot it's had in a long time to make a big splash, especially if Mane decides to commit.

Markus had several chances  against Butler to be the hero and failed. I believe it was due to the elbow to the head. Wojo gave Markus those chances knowing the potential costs and benefits. It's not optimum, but it is what it is.

I honestly believe Wojo is focused on the long game and that undoubtedly will affect results in the short term. The Butler game was a perfect example. He's joined at the hip with Markus and like it or not, that's the way this season is going to play out. I can live with that.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2020, 10:05:52 AM »
Markus was essentially a decoy for about the next 12 minutes    Sacar and Bailey hit shots and they were feeding Theo in the post, for better or for worse.     The last 3 minutes of regulation, Markus tried to take over and wasn't even close.   

I thought we played a very good game in a super tough gym. The Wojo mistake did not cost the game. I suspect 4-18 from the three hurt more.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2020, 10:07:35 AM »
Theo accidentally poked McDermott in the eye contesting a shot, and no foul was called.  Things happen.  The game is moving fast.

And to post multiple times about wanting to extract revenge when Butler visits us?  Are you an adult?

Actually a foul was called on the McDermott play, it was just much earlier. McDermott was playing after the whistle, and got poked in the eye after the whistle.

The Howard contact was during live action.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2020, 10:14:38 AM »
You may have noticed that Wojo and Markus have a unique relationship.

Markus decides when he plays and when he shoots, and Wojo gets the benefit of exploiting Markus for his scoring and recruiting purposes.

I am a big fan of Markus, and I think he deserves the chance to showcase his skills. Some games he will showcase his faults. I can live with that because this was never going to be "The Year", even if the Hausers had stayed. This year is all about recruiting, and getting Mane is still the number one priority. Markus' ultimate green light may help make that priority a reality.

I am hopeful that this years team makes the tournament and has some success but I'm not so delusional as to think this is a National Championship caliber team. I think Wojo knows that too.

Next years recruits along with this years returning talent will give Marquette the best shot it's had in a long time to make a big splash, especially if Mane decides to commit.

Markus had several chances  against Butler to be the hero and failed. I believe it was due to the elbow to the head. Wojo gave Markus those chances knowing the potential costs and benefits. It's not optimum, but it is what it is.

I honestly believe Wojo is focused on the long game and that undoubtedly will affect results in the short term. The Butler game was a perfect example. He's joined at the hip with Markus and like it or not, that's the way this season is going to play out. I can live with that.
So you are saying sacrificing wins and any kind of program system or identity is ok as long as it lures in other highly ranked recruits. Ok whatever. How about winning consistently? And what happens when the next high volume shooter comes in and expects to be the next Marcus. How does the team ever break the cycle? The crew shouldn't be running the ship. You can attract recruits by having a player friendly system without  ruining any kind of team concept.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2020, 10:25:02 AM »

Read carefully and slowly.

Yes Theo accidentally poked McDermott in the eye. A foul should have been called.

Yes I believe Baddley intentionally hammered Markus and a flagrant foul should have been assessed.

Marquettes best player got hammered.

Butlers third, maybe fourth best player got a slight pole in the eye.

See the difference??

Knowing that Butler was pissed because Markus was getting calls in the first Half as evidenced by the T at halftime, I believe Markus was a marked man. Yes I'm an adult and I've played a lot of basketball. In my experience, if my teams best player was targeted, the other team knew enough to bench their best player or retribution was coming. It's a mans game and I can tell you wouldn't last.

At the very least Wojo should have forced the refs to T him up, and told his players to aggressively challenge Baldwins shots. If he got hammered on a follow through, so be it. Marquette lost the game anyway. The only message that was sent was that Wojo is soft, and doesn't protect his players.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2020, 10:30:27 AM »
So you are saying sacrificing wins and any kind of program system or identity is ok as long as it lures in other highly ranked recruits. Ok whatever. How about winning consistently? And what happens when the next high volume shooter comes in and expects to be the next Marcus. How does the team ever break the cycle? The crew shouldn't be running the ship. You can attract recruits by having a player friendly system without  ruining any kind of team concept.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Marquette has obviously won games featuring Markus. It's harsh, but it's reality. This was never going to be "The Year". Giving the team the opportunity to win games while using Markus as a recruiting tool at the same time is not a bad strategy IMHO.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2020, 10:33:19 AM »
Am I the only one that thinks Howard was barely touched (if at all) on his injury? I thought he just slid into the chair and hit his head. If someone has a video of the replay, I’d love to see. Unless I see otherwise, it seems like crazy talk to think Wojo should have done anything on that play.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2020, 10:37:27 AM »

Yes Theo accidentally poked McDermott in the eye. A foul should have been called.

Yes I believe Baddley intentionally hammered Markus and a flagrant foul should have been assessed.

See the difference??

Knowing that Butler was pissed because Markus was getting calls in the first Half as evidenced by the T at halftime, I believe Markus was a marked man. Yes I'm an adult and I've played a lot of basketball. In my experience, if my teams best player was targeted, the other team knew enough to bench their best player or retribution was coming. It's a mans game and I can tell you wouldn't last.

At the very least Wojo should have forced the refs to T him up, and told his players to aggressively challenge Baldwins shots. If he got hammered on a follow through, so be it. Marquette lost the game anyway. The only message that was sent was that Wojo is soft, and doesn't protect his players.

Facepalm.  I've heard The Onion is hiring writers.  You should consider applying.

Please tweet your solution to MUBB.  I look forward to watching Wojo get technicals every game going into halftime, and making the other team's best player a "marked man."  Like, the best player on the opposition isn't already at the top of the scouting report. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2020, 10:39:34 AM »

See the difference??

No.  Just no. Jesus.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2020, 10:42:09 AM »
Am I the only one that thinks Howard was barely touched (if at all) on his injury? I thought he just slid into the chair and hit his head. If someone has a video of the replay, I’d love to see. Unless I see otherwise, it seems like crazy talk to think Wojo should have done anything on that play.
I DVR'd the game.   I have watched the play multiple times.   It looks to me like Baddley's elbow hits Markus and Markus's head recoils immediately.  (Feels like the Zapruder film)

feedback