[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo...what the hell  (Read 22787 times)

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Re: Wojo...what the hell
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2020, 02:44:55 PM »
If a player score 20 consecutive points from virtually the same spot why doesn't somebody make an adjustment and keep him off that place? Kept waiting for a zone to mix them up for a few plays.
reminds me of  the Stanford game where Lopez basically camped out below the basket and tossed in shot after shot and we let him park there uncontested. Still rankles when I think about it.

Wojo should have gone into a 3-2 Zone to challenge.  Otherwise he didn't add any wrinkles at all which is very disturbing.

As far as Lopez goes, not much you can do when the tallest player on the team is 6 inches shorter than Lopez.  If MU had a natural big man then, they would have been very difficult to beat.  Only lost that game by a point I believe while playing against 2x 7 footers. 

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2020, 02:48:45 PM »
Ask Jim Valvano.

Coach K, Jay Wright, Dean Smith, Rick Majerus, and now Jim Valvano.  If Wojo’s here long enough, he’ll eventually be compared to every coach in the Hall of Fame.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2020, 03:29:47 PM »
ESPN said most missed threes by a player in BE  since 2009
Such an odd stat to have scrolling at the bottom. Conspiracy theorists probably think they put there to take away from his NPOY campaign.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2020, 03:57:59 PM »
Wojo should have gone into a 3-2 Zone to challenge.  Otherwise he didn't add any wrinkles at all which is very disturbing.

As far as Lopez goes, not much you can do when the tallest player on the team is 6 inches shorter than Lopez.  If MU had a natural big man then, they would have been very difficult to beat.  Only lost that game by a point I believe while playing against 2x 7 footers.

They didn’t even need to go to a zone to adjust. Butler’s only offensive play was a high ball screen iso with Baldwin driving to the right. They could have double teamed him, set up a half court trap and doubled before the screen was set up, switched defenders on the ball screen, or ran the defender above the screen and forced Baldwin’s drive farther out towards the sideline.

They didn’t do a single one of these things.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2020, 04:00:24 PM »
I didn't think Wojo called for it when it happened.  I thought Bailey didn't know the score and did it on his own.  I am just saying I still didn't hate it, because I am very confident they score with little time on the clock and we lose if we don't foul.  At least this way we had a chance to win.  I get it, you all don't agree.  The real indictment of Wojo in my stance is that he could not formulate a defense to stop Baldwin in the closing minutes other than hoping he'd miss, so we were going to lose if we didn't foul.

We got it the first time. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 05:48:49 PM by 94Warrior »

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2020, 04:07:13 PM »
I still can’t believe MU didn’t go 2 for 1 with 40 plus seconds left and the ball.

That end of game strategy was so bad. I say this in the NFL threads all the time...you have a collective staff earning millions of dollars. Basic game strategy should not be a constant challenge. Game Score. Time Left. Situation.

So dumb.

This is where I am at.  Unbelievably poor job by the coaching staff in crunch time (again).  We need better.

And, not that it make me feel any better, but Butler not fouling Koby as he crossed half court was a gift thanks to Butler's incompetence.  A lot of highly paid coaches choke way more than they should, with no consequence.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2020, 04:07:55 PM »
Markus is a great guy and has done awesome things at MU. That said, tonight he cost us a win. Strange to say and very rare to say but IMO he  lost the game.

Can we subtract a SOTG from his total?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2020, 04:14:32 PM »
At any rate the point was moot, because what Wojo did by admitting a gaffe after the game was the worst of all things.  He showed the team he didn't know what he was doing.

Disagree.

When I played and when my kids played, I had respect for coaches who admitted mistakes. And as a coach myself now, I have had two occasions on which I admitted to mistakes. I genuinely think it gave me credibility -- we're human, and we all make mistakes -- brought the team together and made us better. After one of those admissions, we went on to win the league title; after the other, we got to the title game.

Having said all that ...

It was a bad mistake by Wojo.

Even worse was letting Baldwin get to the same spot on the floor time and time again. It was disappointing to lose a game we had
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2020, 05:12:11 PM »
Coach K, Jay Wright, Dean Smith, Rick Majerus, and now Jim Valvano.  If Wojo’s here long enough, he’ll eventually be compared to every coach in the Hall of Fame.

As in "Wojo couldn't carry the jock of Coach K, Jay Wright, Dean Smith, Rick Majerus, and Jim Valvano."?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 05:15:27 PM by f/k/a humanlung »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2020, 05:19:50 PM »
As in "Wojo couldn't carry the jock of Coach K, Jay Wright, Dean Smith, Rick Majerus, and Jim Valvano."?

He can carryover 2 imaginary points though.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2020, 06:26:17 PM »
USF fouled BYU on purpose UP 2 points today. Dude missed the front end and they won...

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2020, 06:32:08 PM »
USF fouled BYU on purpose UP 2 points today. Dude missed the front end and they won...

Cool.

But of course Wojo didn’t do this as part of some grand strategy. He did it because he forgot the score.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2020, 06:35:47 PM »

In this case I agree with the strategy..Childs is injured, and the worst thing that happens is they tie it(it was a one and one) and you get the ball last with a chance to win it or go OT.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2020, 10:23:45 AM »
So Wojo said the last time he looked MU was down by two.You mean he didn't look at scoreboard the whole second half?MU was not behind the whole second half until he decided to foul and give Butler the lead.His defense philosophy is a another topic.Change defenses or double Baldwin and get the ball out of his hands.Make someone else beat you.Elementary.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:26:50 AM by Aircraftcarrier »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2020, 10:29:01 AM »
So Wojo said the last time he looked they were down by two.You mean he didn't look at scoreboard the whole second half?MU was not behind the whole second half.

Also, what was discussed in that timeout as far as defense? It didn’t come up that if we score, this is our defense? If we don’t, this is the plan? I’d hope a player or assistant would have caught Wojo thinking we were down.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2020, 10:45:59 AM »
I haven't seen this brought up much since the end of the game. What exactly are the roles of the half-dozen assistant coaches during the game? I certainly don't give those guys a free pass here. Plenty of blame to go around.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2020, 12:46:18 PM »
So Wojo said the last time he looked MU was down by two.You mean he didn't look at scoreboard the whole second half?MU was not behind the whole second half until he decided to foul and give Butler the lead.His defense philosophy is a another topic.Change defenses or double Baldwin and get the ball out of his hands.Make someone else beat you.Elementary.

Outstanding points.  Lost in everything is all Butler was doing to get Baldwin most, maybe all of his shots, was setting him a high screen. And Wojo was just flummoxed by that sophisticated offense. 

But hey, no reason for concern, Wojo is the best we can do, etc. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2020, 12:49:39 PM »
Outstanding points.  Lost in everything is all Butler was doing to get Baldwin most, maybe all of his shots, was setting him a high screen. And Wojo was just flummoxed by that sophisticated offense. 

But hey, no reason for concern, Wojo is the best we can do, etc.

False, rewatch
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2020, 01:06:45 PM »
False, rewatch

It is accurate, especially in overtime

By the way, how you doing on examples of great coaches who at one point in their career forgot the score.  I’m sure you’re further along than last night, when Gruber losing a timeout was the “best” and only example you could muster.

Slick

• Walk-On
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2020, 01:16:37 PM »
As bad as Wojo's decision was, I have more respect for him admitting the mistake rather than coming up with a lame excuse.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2020, 01:24:38 PM »
As bad as Wojo's decision was, I have more respect for him admitting the mistake rather than coming up with a lame excuse.

This. Crean would have thrown up some pr crap to confuse his bad decisions and Buzz would have gone into full hunker down mode. Both also made plenty of in-game errors.

That said, especially for an emotional game coach like Wojo who is dug in on his systems, this is on his staff for not setting this up in the huddle right before on situationals. It’s an opportunity improvement area, and honestly owning up to those mistakes is critical for change.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2020, 01:27:29 PM »
No one will ask.

No one asked because we lost. But in the context of an abysmal multi-faceted meltdown a head scratching foul is just a cog in a much bigger gear.

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2020, 02:29:05 PM »
No one asked because we lost. But in the context of an abysmal multi-faceted meltdown a head scratching foul is just a cog in a much bigger gear.

Welcome back, Crash.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2020, 02:37:50 PM »
It is accurate, especially in overtime

By the way, how you doing on examples of great coaches who at one point in their career forgot the score.  I’m sure you’re further along than last night, when Gruber losing a timeout was the “best” and only example you could muster.

I have spent 0.0 seconds looking for examples.  You are wrong on the other claim, it wasn’t the same each time.  Go rewatch.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2020, 02:38:45 PM »
Keefe...unable to re-emerge the last two weeks?   8-)