[Today at 12:28:22 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo...what the hell  (Read 22780 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: Wojo...what the hell
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2020, 11:37:10 PM »
I agree.  I said in another thread, we saw 3 games and 37 minutes of beautiful team ball, where Markus was still Stud of the Game but everyone was getting involved and contributing.  That went out the window in the last three minutes of this one with disastrous results.

We give Markus his proper accolades when he plays well, it is fair to point out when he costs us the game as well.
Markus is a great guy and has done awesome things at MU. That said, tonight he cost us a win. Strange to say and very rare to say but IMO he  lost the game.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2020, 11:38:43 PM »
Markus is a great guy and has done awesome things at MU. That said, tonight he cost us a win. Strange to say and very rare to say but IMO he  lost the game.

He helped lose the Providence game as well by dribbling into double teams 4 different times resulting in turnovers.......

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2020, 11:43:45 PM »
He helped lose the Providence game as well by dribbling into double teams 4 different times resulting in turnovers.......
Are you the same guy with the other mike dean accounts

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2020, 11:45:16 PM »
Per Ben Steele, Wojo says this falls on him - "When you're the leader of a group or an organization, you hold your kids accountable but the main person you need to hold accountable is me."

And while that's the right thing to say, it holds no weight, because nothing will happen. If a player makes a bad play, he can get benched or lose minutes. If an assistant puts together a bad scouting report, he could be demoted or fired. But what happens when the head coach, who already signed his contract extension, screws up? I'm not saying he should lose his job over this. I'm just saying that his words are empty because nothing will happen. There's no actual accountability.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2020, 11:46:12 PM »
Are you the same guy with the other mike dean accounts

No, I'm not.  I have one account.  Don't tell me you're another Pro Wojo guy who thinks he's a great coach.  Tonight just underlines what I've said before out of the guy:  He doesn't know how to coach and costs us games.  MU can do better than this.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2020, 11:46:56 PM »
There’s just no excuse for that foul.

- a tie game with 20 seconds left
- intentionally foul their best player
- an 85% ft shooter
- a player who scored all their points down the stretch

How can Wojo not know the score?  They  just had a timeout.  What did they discuss?  Wojo said there was confusion in the huddle - how can that be?  There are scoreboards. 

Marquette deserves better than this.  Wojo needs to be better than this, as does his staff.  The players played their hearts out tonight.  Coaching let them down and that’s inexcusable.

I’m not close to fire Wojo, but he needs to make coaching changes so this doesn’t happen.  They need experienced coach who is calm in final minutes and put players in best position to win.  That did not happen tonight.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:50:25 PM by AlumKCof93 »
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2020, 11:49:58 PM »
No, I'm not.  I have one account.  Don't tell me you're another Pro Wojo guy who thinks he's a great coach.  Tonight just underlines what I've said before out of the guy:  He doesn't know how to coach and costs us games.  MU can do better than this.
ok...

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2020, 11:51:06 PM »

- an 85% ft shooter

How can Wojo not know the score?  They  just had a timeout.  What did they discuss?  Wojo said there was confusion in the huddle - how can that be?  There are scoreboards. 

Marquette deserves better than this.  Wojo needs to be better than this, as does his staff.  The players played their hearts out tonight.  Coaching let them down and that’s inexcusable.

I’m not close to fire Wojo, but he needs to make coaching changes so this doesn’t happen.  They need experienced coach who is calm in final minutes and put players in best position to win.  That did not happen tonight.

Any chance he was taking the heat for a brain fart by Bailey?

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2020, 11:51:07 PM »
I dont think hes great but I'm not on the fire wojo wagon yet

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2020, 12:00:43 AM »
Per Ben Steele, Wojo says this falls on him - "When you're the leader of a group or an organization, you hold your kids accountable but the main person you need to hold accountable is me."

And while that's the right thing to say, it holds no weight, because nothing will happen. If a player makes a bad play, he can get benched or lose minutes. If an assistant puts together a bad scouting report, he could be demoted or fired. But what happens when the head coach, who already signed his contract extension, screws up? I'm not saying he should lose his job over this. I'm just saying that his words are empty because nothing will happen. There's no actual accountability.

So should he have said nothing and not taken responsibility?  What is your answer to how he should have handled it?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2020, 12:03:22 AM »

True. But. I do respect him for owning it. Mistakes do happen...and in this case we got lucky and it ultimately didn’t cost us the game. The bigger coaching mistake was not changing defensive strategy on Baldwin - to either force him left, or go zone.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2020, 12:07:06 AM »
So should he have said nothing and not taken responsibility?  What is your answer to how he should have handled it?

There's nothing he can say.  He's inept.  And You're comfy with this guy.  Just think if there's a similar situation in a tourney game.......  I mean how many times does it take?

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2020, 12:08:09 AM »
True. But. I do respect him for owning it. Mistakes do happen...and in this case we got lucky and it ultimately didn’t cost us the game. The bigger coaching mistake was not changing defensive strategy on Baldwin - to either force him left, or go zone.

MU is like 4/4 in getting stops with that zone at the end of games with 3 or so turnovers. I definitely would have liked to see that when it was clear they weren’t getting stops.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2020, 12:10:31 AM »
There's nothing he can say.  He's inept.  And You're comfy with this guy.  Just think if there's a similar situation in a tourney game.......  I mean how many times does it take?

35 posts tonight and none since January 10th. Sigh.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2020, 12:12:51 AM »
35 posts tonight and none since January 10th. Sigh.

Yeah, the Pro Wojo contingent couldn't handle my observational data.  So, due to groupthink, they tried to oust the alpha and got me banned for 2 weeks.  Funny thing is, much of what i said before played out tonight. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2020, 12:56:51 AM »
Lavin and crew were talking about this in the postgame. Saying that there were noticeable situations where Markus was taking bad shots with teammates wide open and calling for the ball.

It's easier to call out after a loss, of course, but those kinds of plays could be the difference between a win and a loss in a few more games this year. If he can get out of the tunnel vision just a little bit more, it will gives us some more opportunities. He's having a helluva year, but this one little improvement could be big for the team.

ESPN said most missed threes by a player in BE  since 2009

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2020, 01:14:11 AM »

- an 85% ft shooter

How can Wojo not know the score? They  just had a timeout.  What did they discuss?  Wojo said there was confusion in the huddle - how can that be?  There are scoreboards. 

That’s the job of an assistant or the DOBO to track that and inform Wojo. Well, it certainly couldn’t be Saint Stan so it must have been someone else.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2020, 01:40:52 AM »
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BE MAD AT! NOT WOJO!

Pass the ball Markus!!!

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2020, 01:44:50 AM »
Well well well....I went to sleep at halftime. I am glad I did not watch the entire game. But if this went down and I saw that I would have been livid.

This is a major issue...get others involved.

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2020, 03:16:29 AM »
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BE MAD AT! NOT WOJO!

Pass the ball Markus!!!

this is where I fall. Markus has won us many games, and lost us some too including this one. I'm most disappointed that as Markus was cooling off, Koby and then Sacar were hitting, but instead of looking to draw defensive attention and dish to guys who were hitting, he tried to put on the Markus show. Like dude, we know you're the best shooter in the building, an all American, big east player of the year, etc... it's fine if you don't have it tonight. Even the best NBA shooters have off nights. his teammates had his back, and we were so close to a well deserved, impactful team win. Tunnel vision from the senior was a big letdown. Markus knows better than that, or at least he should. Trust your teammates.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2020, 03:53:47 AM »
First of all, there are game situations where that foul is a real option.   Fouling the hottest player when he’s on a tear and is an 85% free throw shooter is not one of them.

If I was an opposing coach for example, had a team with 4 very good shooters and shoot 43% from 3, I’d foul Sacar or Jamal or Greg or any of the bigs when tied with 20 secs left.  Even with 30,  but not more.

It’s definitely counter intuitive but if they make one FT you win with a two and if they make both you can tie or win.  You eliminate the chance they make a 3 thereby giving you only one way to tie.

What we all know now is that there was no vision, no strategy, no preparation for this situation and the whole staff blew it by not knowing time and score.

Shameful.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2020, 05:04:23 AM »
I’m at least happy he owned up to it as that was the ONLY defense he had.

Markus was a chucker tonight, haven’t seen that much this year.  Shame...a game we should have won.
I agree with this assessment.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2020, 05:55:57 AM »
A prediction:    Wojo will say he did it to make sure MU had the last shot, or some variation thereof.    Instead of letting Butler hold for the last shot, foul early, get the ball back with time to make a play.     Didn't ultimately cost MU the game.   Certainly was unusual.   
No as usual, your lust for Wojo has you wrong. It was not unusual, it was stupid. Someday you will wake up and realize the guy cant coach.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2020, 07:16:15 AM »
It was a bad, bad decision, but still didn't cost us the game. Markus' chucking and turnovers, plus no ability whatsoever to find a way to stop baldwin did

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2020, 08:04:27 AM »

Yes. I will always bet on my team doing what they need to do versus giving points to the opponent.

Yours is a defeatist mindset.
This exactly. You are conceding that you cant stop your opponent. How about playing some damn defense or devising a way to stop the guy. If you lose because he beats your best effort.  ok.