Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Butler Game Thread  (Read 26515 times)

CountryRoads

• All American
Butler Game Thread
« on: January 24, 2020, 06:52:00 PM »
Surprised to not see it posted yet, but Aaron Thompson (the best defender in the Big East per synergy) is out for tonight’s game with a wrist injury.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Re: Butler Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 06:59:25 PM »
Surprised to not see it posted yet, but Aaron Thompson (the best defender in the Big East per synergy) is out for tonight’s game with a wrist injury.

That's huge for Marquette.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 07:02:55 PM »
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:07:04 PM by warriorstrack »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 07:12:21 PM »
Helps their offense. Hurts the defense a lot.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 07:16:44 PM »
Christian David out, too, with a torn ACL.    However, a wounded angry bulldog at home.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 07:19:06 PM »
Christian David out, too, with a torn ACL.    However, a wounded angry bulldog at home.   

Baddley questionable with the flu. That’s not a big deal normally, but guard depth is now an issue with Thompson out. Baldwin has had a bad wrist too.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 07:21:01 PM »
Helps their offense. Hurts the defense a lot.

Thompson plays 33 minutes a game and leads team with 5 assists per game.

David was playing 14 minutes a game as second guy off the bench. 

A lot of minutes with a very short bench.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 07:29:03 PM »
If MU wins, the usual suspects will blame Butler injuries.   If MU loses, the usual suspects will make it how MU couldn't win even with the all of the Butler injuries. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 07:32:12 PM »
Tower
I think that is in accurate. Definitely gives a better chance to MU, but not slam dunk. Play smart ball and no one should bitch regardless of outcome. Lay an egg, different story.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:39:22 PM by Goose »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 07:33:23 PM »
Tower
I think that is in accurate. Definitely gives a better chance to MU, but not slam dunk. Play smart, ball and no one should bitch regardless of outcome. Lay an egg, different story.

Yes, don't dribble into double teams and be patient - unlike the Providence game.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 07:36:00 PM »
That's huge for Marquette.

You been on a vacation lately, glasses?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 07:38:38 PM »
You been on a vacation lately, glasses?

Yes, yes I have been.  From what I've seen, looks like it was pretty dead in here for the most part anyways.   

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 07:39:11 PM »
My daughter officially got into Butler today....though we got the unofficial heads up a few weeks ago.  Told her hopefully not bad karma for dad's alma mater.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 07:40:42 PM »
My daughter officially got into Butler today....though we got the unofficial heads up a few weeks ago.  Told her hopefully not bad karma for dad's alma mater.
Congrats!

Why Butler of all places?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 07:40:57 PM »
Yes, yes I have been.  From what I've seen, looks like it was pretty dead in here for the most part anyways.

Yes, not a lot of complaints from the oppressed of late.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 07:41:43 PM »
If MU wins, the usual suspects will blame Butler injuries.   If MU loses, the usual suspects will make it how MU couldn't win even with the all of the Butler injuries.

And conversely, the other usual suspects will excuse the loss and say "it's hard to win on the road" blah blah blah. Even though, they will have no Guard depth, and playing without the best defender in the BE.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 07:42:02 PM »
Congrats!

Why Butler of all places?

It's funny, she has been accepted to DePaul, Butler, Seton Hall, Xavier.....a lot of Big East schools. They have film programs which is her interest. If she gets into UCLA, USC, LMU she is staying in Cali, but at least she has options.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 07:45:23 PM »
Yes, not a lot of complaints from the oppressed of late.

Believe me, there's a lot to work on with this team.  Tonight is a must win as it's being handed on a silver platter. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 07:45:33 PM »
It's funny, she has been accepted to DePaul, Butler, Seton Hall, Xavier.....a lot of Big East schools. They have film programs which is her interest. If she gets into UCLA, USC, LMU she is staying in Cali, but at least she has options.

No Chapman Film School?

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 07:45:39 PM »
How did MU lose to this Wisconsin team 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 07:48:41 PM »
How did they beat this Purdue team?  Home game, away game.   Any chance they would move the tip up since this one will be done so early?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 07:49:03 PM »
No Thompson and no David means two of the top candidates for defending Markus are out. I assume they will try Jordan Tucker most of the night. If he gets in foul trouble or worn down the only other real option is Kamar Baldwin. McDermott and Nze are too slow and Battle is promising but plays defense like a freshman. I think Baldwin's lack of height will give Markus an edge and if he gets into foul trouble or worn out defending Markus, I'm not sure the Bulldogs will be able to score enough.

Thompson is also the floor general. Baldwin can play point but does not create for others the way Thompson does. I'd expect Baldwin and McDermott to play near the entire game. One of Golden and Smits will be on the floor at all times and Battle will sub in for Nze and Tucker when they need breathers. I think this also takes away Butler's ability to go small and fast. They sometimes play with Nze at the 5 and I think they will need him covering the 4 so Tucker can cover the 3 with the lack of guard depth.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 07:49:35 PM »
Very nice to turn on the TV and see the badgers getting trounced.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 07:53:28 PM »
How did MU lose to this Wisconsin team

We didn’t lose to that team....’.we lost to the one that plays at the Kohl Center.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 07:58:43 PM »
And conversely, the other usual suspects will excuse the loss and say "it's hard to win on the road" blah blah blah. Even though, they will have no Guard depth, and playing without the best defender in the BE.
Lol you're already pre complaining about it.. I'm assuming with the injuries you're gonna expect win no matter what kind of game now. Should be a fun night

feedback