[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: ESPNU - MU vs. Gonzaga Now Showing  (Read 4377 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: ESPNU - MU vs. Gonzaga Now Showing
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2020, 10:45:33 AM »
If memory serves, our non-conference scheduling wasn’t great. We had a gauntlet of the top teams early and then our buy teams weren’t very good.

Also, that was the year a .500 Big East team won the NCAA. By this time Buzz had a Final Four contender that was derailed by injury and what many consider his best coaching job to get a team that lost a ton of talent a 6 seed. After that season, I think people felt Buzz could coach up his talent and make adjustments. 5.5 years in, I don’t think we can say that about Wojo.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 12:03:55 PM »
If memory serves, our non-conference scheduling wasn’t great. We had a gauntlet of the top teams early and then our buy teams weren’t very good.

Also, that was the year a .500 Big East team won the NCAA. By this time Buzz had a Final Four contender that was derailed by injury and what many consider his best coaching job to get a team that lost a ton of talent a 6 seed. After that season, I think people felt Buzz could coach up his talent and make adjustments. 5.5 years in, I don’t think we can say that about Wojo.

Derailed by injury is a horrible excuse for that team. I know DJ was our PG and a huge piece of that team but Buzz lost all but two games after it and he still had 3 of our best players in the past 30 years on that team.

Buzz was not a Final Four contender in 2011. Are you referring to 2012? 2013? Or the preseason expectations for 2014?
Maigh Eo for Sam

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 12:19:14 PM »
It was very clear from the beginning that Buzz had "it."  He was quirky, charismatic, inspirational, obsessive about details.  What did Buzz want?  Paint Touches.  To make more FTs than the opponent attempted.  Physicality/toughness.  Those were three hallmarks of his coaching philosophy.  Does Wojo have any core coaching philosophies?
I agree with all of this. But if he was such a good coach, why did take that inexplicable layup?  Shouldn’t he have been coached up better than that?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 12:21:12 PM »
Derailed by injury is a horrible excuse for that team. I know DJ was our PG and a huge piece of that team but Buzz lost all but two games after it and he still had 3 of our best players in the past 30 years on that team.

Buzz was not a Final Four contender in 2011. Are you referring to 2012? 2013? Or the preseason expectations for 2014?

I meant the Dom James team was a Final Four contender. We pointed to those last 5 games as the toughest on the schedule before he got hurt. James was the heart of that defense and facilitated the offense. We also weren’t very deep before the injury.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2020, 12:30:18 PM »
I agree with all of this. But if he was such a good coach, why did take that inexplicable layup?  Shouldn’t he have been coached up better than that?

Sure - but sometimes players do dumb things.  Just like Markus launching those ill-advised 3 point attempts at end of Butler.  As for Buycks - he probably makes that layup 98 times out of 100...yet still awful judgement.   

It is amazing to me that many of Wojo's biggest supporters here are also the ones who try to take shots at Buzz.  Truly, if you ProJos think Buzz wasn't a good coach, you have ZERO business arguing that Wojo is. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2020, 01:03:30 PM »
Sure - but sometimes players do dumb things.  Just like Markus launching those ill-advised 3 point attempts at end of Butler.  As for Buycks - he probably makes that layup 98 times out of 100...yet still awful judgement.   

It is amazing to me that many of Wojo's biggest supporters here are also the ones who try to take shots at Buzz.  Truly, if you ProJos think Buzz wasn't a good coach, you have ZERO business arguing that Wojo is.

I think the ridiculous attacks at Wojo for things Buzz did/happened under buzz as well are what tick most people off. Nobody in their right mind thinks buzz wasn't a good coach, but he's been put up on such a pedestal, specifically for the 2010-11 year where he was absolutely not a good coach
Maigh Eo for Sam