[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: ESPNU - MU vs. Gonzaga Now Showing  (Read 4375 times)

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
ESPNU - MU vs. Gonzaga Now Showing
« on: January 24, 2020, 02:45:56 PM »
How weird to stumble across this game from 11/23/10 on a Friday afternoon  - Vander, Junior, Jimmy, Jae, DJO, Devonte, Buycks...memories.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 03:00:10 PM by ChuckyChip »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: ESPNU - MU vs. Gonzaga Now Showing
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 02:53:05 PM »
Loved that team
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 03:02:59 PM »
Thanks for the notice.
Reggie Smith with some PT.
Seeing Crowder, butler, Buycks,Blue, man what a team

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 03:04:59 PM »
Tried throwing a kegger in my parents garage (converted into a pub) for that game but only like 6 people from MU we're within a reasonable driving distance and it was freezing. Then we lost... not the greatest party I've thrown 😂
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 03:05:57 PM »
Thanks for the notice.
Reggie Smith with some PT.
Seeing Crowder, butler, Buycks,Blue, man what a team

Reggie Smith. Man I looked forward to that kid.  His HS highlight reels were insane - he could jump out of the gym.  Forgot he ended up stopping at UNLV before ending up at Eastern Illinois. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 03:12:38 PM »
Reggie Smith. Man I looked forward to that kid.  His HS highlight reels were insane - he could jump out of the gym.  Forgot he ended up stopping at UNLV before ending up at Eastern Illinois.

Remember how ridiculously quick he was?
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 03:13:57 PM »
Tried throwing a kegger in my parents garage (converted into a pub) for that game but only like 6 people from MU we're within a reasonable driving distance and it was freezing. Then we lost... not the greatest party I've thrown 😂
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 03:23:34 PM »
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

Could be different this time!
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 03:25:20 PM »
Looks like Gardner still hasn't learned to box out.   Crowder off the bench.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 03:26:38 PM »
That was a bad call! Game thread.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 03:28:24 PM »
Olynyk with short hair

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 03:43:41 PM »
Look at that roster.    Look at that rotation.     DJO, Cadougan, Blue, Buycks, Butler, Crowder, Otule, Gardner.   Looking back through sepia lenses, these guys are now considered legends and true Warriors.    But this was an 11 seed in the Big East tourney.   Team bubble watch.   11 seed in the tourney, but went to the Sweet 16.     A case can be made that this group underachieved during the regular season but was redeemed by their tourney run.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 04:32:47 PM »
Look at that roster.    Look at that rotation.     DJO, Cadougan, Blue, Buycks, Butler, Crowder, Otule, Gardner.   Looking back through sepia lenses, these guys are now considered legends and true Warriors.    But this was an 11 seed in the Big East tourney.   Team bubble watch.   11 seed in the tourney, but went to the Sweet 16.     A case can be made that this group underachieved during the regular season but was redeemed by their tourney run.

They absolutely underachieved during the regular season. Most frustrating MU team I can remember given what I expected vs. the results.

The win against WVU in NYC followed by the S16 run made all the difference in the world, though.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 04:41:50 PM »
Saw that one while I was walking back from lunch. So strange.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 08:29:22 AM »

This team is considered a legend because it won two games in the tournament after barely squeaking in because it won two game in the Big East tourney.    The 2019-20 team is actually doing far better at the same point as the legendary 10-11 sweet 16 team with all of those legends on it.       

I don't know if this will be a sweet 16 team.    I believe with every fiber of my being that it is capable of doing so.   

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 08:40:06 AM »
This team is considered a legend because it won two games in the tournament after barely squeaking in because it won two game in the Big East tourney.    The 2019-20 team is actually doing far better at the same point as the legendary 10-11 sweet 16 team with all of those legends on it.       

I don't know if this will be a sweet 16 team.    I believe with every fiber of my being that it is capable of doing so.   

+1
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 08:59:03 AM »

The difference is the 10-11 team could run with anyone. Sure they had faults, but no one looked at them like a cakewalk.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:01:17 AM by #UnleashJayce »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 09:03:14 AM »
The difference is the 11-12 team could run with anyone. Sure they had faults, but no one looked at them like a cakewalk.

Do you mean 10-11? 11-12 was buzz's best team of course nobody looked at them as a cakewalk.

Except Seton Hall, St Johns, UNC, and Louisville.

Plus you wanna talk end of game choke jobs the first Louisville game where Buycks goes for a layup and misses allowing Ville to hit a go ahead at the buzzer. Where were the fire Buzz signs then?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 09:05:59 AM »
Do you mean 10-11? 11-12 was buzz's best team of course nobody looked at them as a cakewalk.

Except Seton Hall, St Johns, UNC, and Louisville.

Where were the fire Buzz signs then?

But Buzz knew how to coach....

You don't fire a coach because a player misses a layup....

This is just......an emotional argument with no credence.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 09:14:37 AM »
But Buzz knew how to coach....

You don't fire a coach because a player misses a layup....

This is just......an emotional argument with no credence.

No when you have possession and the lead you don't take the layup with time expiring you run out the clock.

And buzz was at that point still very unknown, he had coached our most hyped team to a 6 seed and choked against Mizzou. Then while did a great job the 09-10 yea let's not ignore that there was 4 future NBA players on that team plus a massive choke against Wash. At that point against Louisville he was still very much a question mark .
Maigh Eo for Sam

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 09:42:09 AM »
No when you have possession and the lead you don't take the layup with time expiring you run out the clock.

And buzz was at that point still very unknown, he had coached our most hyped team to a 6 seed and choked against Mizzou. Then while did a great job the 09-10 yea let's not ignore that there was 4 future NBA players on that team plus a massive choke against Wash. At that point against Louisville he was still very much a question mark .

I hope you realize he coached one of the smallest teams in all of college basketball.....

In every game they played they were at a height disadvantage.

Then his post MU work speaks for itself.

Watch the tape between a buzz team and Wojo team.  Tell me the differences you see in defensive and offensive rotations.  Tell me how much better the ball is taken care of, and finally let's talk about ball movement.  It's night and day.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 09:54:06 AM »

It was very clear from the beginning that Buzz had "it."  He was quirky, charismatic, inspirational, obsessive about details.  What did Buzz want?  Paint Touches.  To make more FTs than the opponent attempted.  Physicality/toughness.  Those were three hallmarks of his coaching philosophy.  Does Wojo have any core coaching philosophies? 

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 09:58:04 AM »
It was very clear from the beginning that Buzz had "it."  He was quirky, charismatic, inspirational, obsessive about details.  What did Buzz want?  Paint Touches.  To make more FTs than the opponent attempted.  Physicality/toughness.  Those were three hallmarks of his coaching philosophy.  Does Wojo have any core coaching philosophies?

I've talked to a division 1, top 50 program, assistant coach who is familiar with MU basketball.  He's as baffled as anybody when it comes to Wojo's style of coaching.  Nice guy, presents the image you want, gets good kids..... but when it comes to coaching:  It's baaaaaaaad.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 10:12:39 AM »
Attended that game in person. I even met Wojo during that tournament and he was very complimentary to MU and their fans back then.

Reggie Smith....hmmm.  That team at that time was going through a lot of off court issues.  Reggie developed a Buzz sprained ankle where he was unable to play and then decided to transfer.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 10:30:57 AM »
I've talked to a division 1, top 50 program, assistant coach who is familiar with MU basketball.  He's as baffled as anybody when it comes to Wojo's style of coaching.  Nice guy, presents the image you want, gets good kids..... but when it comes to coaching:  It's baaaaaaaad.

This was posted in the Butler game thread, by FrennA and I felt it was a perfect synopsis of the Wojo era:

The leash that Wojo gives Howard is ridiculous.  It was the same way he handled Henry Ellenson.  He doesn’t coach he just lets the star player run wild.  Meanwhile all the other players don’t develop.  Some here assume Howard is our only talent capable of scoring.  How can you think that when they are not given the freedom to participate in the offense since Howard has the ultimate green light despite being ice cold.  If he was hampered by hitting the chair, put him on the bench.  Howard seems like a great guy, but damn, this is on Wojo.  I like Wojo but not as a coach.  Relying on your star player to get you wins as opposed to coaching the team is not coaching.  Players have regressed and lost confidence under his watch and that’s on Wojo.