[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Door County  (Read 7508 times)

FruitStandJim

• Walk-On
Door County
« on: January 24, 2020, 11:21:20 AM »
Who has been to Door County? The wife and I are thinking about making a trip for Labor Day weekend. We have never been, so I'm open to all suggestions as far as where to stay/things to do/where to eat. Thanks!

🏀

• All American
Re: Door County
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 11:39:01 AM »
Same boat.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 11:57:42 AM »
Who has been to Door County? The wife and I are thinking about making a trip for Labor Day weekend. We have never been, so I'm open to all suggestions as far as where to stay/things to do/where to eat. Thanks!

First off, make reservations early. Depending on what you want to spend, there are places for all ranges from nice, affordable motels to luxury spots. If looking for a cabin or house, try VRBO. Last time up there, we VRBO'd a renovated church in Sister Bay for a little over $1000 a night, but it was a large 5 bedroom place. On a holiday weekend, you can find a decent motel for under $150.

Don't be distracted by Sturgeon Bay. Go up to the Egg Harbor - Fish-Creek - Ephriam area. Lots to do. Hiking, Biking, Shopping, good restaurants, the beach in Peninsula State Park. If you hve a spare day, head over to Bailey's Harbor and Neport Beach state park.

Also check out the Northern Sky Theater in Peninsula State Park. Theater at night in the open woods. Great venue. Shouldn't need tickets in advance as it seats somewhere around 500.

If you are gonna be biking, let me know and I'll give you a couple nice spots to ride.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 12:03:55 PM »
Jockey,

Wife and I are going up this summer for our first vacation sans kids and interested in biking. I've gone camping up there around Peninsula since I was a kid, but was not into distance biking at that point - so definitely interested to hear good spots. We're eyeing a B&B in Sister Bay.

FruitStandJim

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 12:08:22 PM »
First off, make reservations early. Depending on what you want to spend, there are places for all ranges from nice, affordable motels to luxury spots. If looking for a cabin or house, try VRBO. Last time up there, we VRBO'd a renovated church in Sister Bay for a little over $1000 a night, but it was a large 5 bedroom place. On a holiday weekend, you can find a decent motel for under $150.

Don't be distracted by Sturgeon Bay. Go up to the Egg Harbor - Fish-Creek - Ephriam area. Lots to do. Hiking, Biking, Shopping, good restaurants, the beach in Peninsula State Park. If you hve a spare day, head over to Bailey's Harbor and Neport Beach state park.

Also check out the Northern Sky Theater in Peninsula State Park. Theater at night in the open woods. Great venue. Shouldn't need tickets in advance as it seats somewhere around 500.

If you are gonna be biking, let me know and I'll give you a couple nice spots to ride.

Jockey,

Thanks a bunch. A co-worker of mine suggested a place in Sister Bay, so we might end up staying there as well. I don't think we'll be biking, but definitely interested in hiking.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 12:23:43 PM »

A suggestion.  If your schedule can swing it, go a week or two after Labor Day.  The rates will be better, and they will go up again in the fall, and it won't be as crowded.

Some other thoughts.  Skip Washington Island.  It's nothing special and is a waste of a day.  I prefer the beach at Newport State Park over Penninsula because it is usually way less crowded.  Great hiking in both Penninsula and Newport though.

If you are into breweries, distilleries, etc.  Door County Brewing in Bailey's Harbor and Hatch Distilling in Egg Harbor are fun.  Shipwrecked in Egg Harbor is godawful.  A ton of wineries that range from "meh" to "pretty decent."

I will echo that Fish Creek, Ephraim and Sister Bay are going to be the best for shopping.  And we never go south of Egg Harbor or Bailey's Harbor once we get up there.

Some people are really into fish boils.  I can go without but I don't want to bias anyone against it. If you want a traditional bar / fish fry experience, we usually to to the Penninsula Pub which is kind of in the middle of nowhere.  Otherwise there are some great restaurants up there given your tastes. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 12:24:57 PM »
Agree with Jockey, especially the Egg Harbor/Fish Creek/Ephriam area.....lots of great things to do and see around there and lots of great food choices (highly recommend Wild Tomato). One thing to watch for is the Ephriam is a dry town so now alcohol at the restaurants in town.

If you are into photography and/or really want to see the Milky Way, etc at night....go to Newport State Park, it is an official "dark sight" which I think there are only a dozen of in the US where you can get a really really clear view of the stars at night without light pollution (assuming good weather).

Also recommend a trip up to Washington Island, have to take a ferry but it's a really laid back place with some fun spots to explore like the glacier stone beach.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 12:26:48 PM »
Also recommend a trip up to Washington Island, have to take a ferry but it's a really laid back place with some fun spots to explore like the glacier stone beach.

Ooops!   ;)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 12:27:53 PM »
Oh and Emphraim is no longer a dry town.  You can get beer and wine in the restaurants.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 12:54:58 PM »
I was planning mid to end of June. Too early?

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 01:00:39 PM »
I was planning mid to end of June. Too early?

If you are spending a lot of time in the water, yes.  But otherwise you're going to be likely in the low 70s for highs with high 60s and low 80s possible.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 01:01:49 PM »
Depending on where you want to stay on the Peninsula, and what type of place you're looking for, if you're looking for a VRBO, there are plenty of places south of Egg Harbor that are great locations.   My wife's family has had a place on the Bay side, with a rental cottage with 200 feet of frontage, for over 50 years, that's 4 miles south of Egg Harbor. 

I second staying away from Shipwrecked.  Horrible beer and that's all they serve.  If you want a good place for outdoor drinking, try One Barrel in Egg Harbor or the Beer Garden at Al Johnson's in Sister Bay.  If you're looking for wine, the  Door Peninsula Winery in Carlsville is pretty bad.  Try Simon Creek in Jacksonport or better yet, Stone's Throw in Bailey's Harbor. 

Biking or hiking in Peninsula State Park are very good.  For hiking though, try Cave Point Park, which is just north of Whitefish Dunes State Park (decent place to spend a beach day).  For a leisurely hike, try the Ridges Sanctuary in Bailey's Harbor.   You can do either guided or self-guided hikes.

If you've got kids, try PC Junction in Bailey's Harbor (across the street from Stone's Throw Winery), at the Peninsula Center.  They serve beer and the food is served via a small train that stops in front of your seat with your food.

For a really nice dinner, I'd recommend the Waterfront in Sister Bay and Glidden Lodge in Sturgeon Bay.  Lure in Sister Bay is  good as well.  Otherwise, supper clubs are always decent, including the Nightengale in Sturgeon Bay and the Greenwood in Fish Creek.

If you're going to golf in Door, go to the Orchards.  It's the best golf in DoCo for a decent price.  While scenic, most of the rest are dog tracks when it comes to golf, unless you want to spend the money and can get on at Horseshoe Bay.

Mid to end of June isn't too early PTM, though you may have 55 degree weather or you may have 75 degree weather.  That time of year is a crap shoot.  The lake side is going to be a few degrees cooler than the Bay side also.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 01:09:09 PM by Mane'shouse 84 »
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 01:09:51 PM »
Lots of good advice.  I like hanging in Door. It's not our normal stomping grounds but always a good trip.

FruitStandJim

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 01:10:54 PM »
These suggestions will be a lot of help, thanks!

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 01:12:21 PM »
Lots of good advice.  I like hanging in Door. It's not our normal stomping grounds but always a good trip.

We much prefer it to the Minoqua / northwoods area. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 01:14:30 PM »
Oh and Emphraim is no longer a dry town.  You can get beer and wine in the restaurants.

Really, must have been recently because we were up there two years ago and it was still dry
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 01:16:37 PM »
We much prefer it to the Minoqua / northwoods area.

Been an Up North guy my entire life.  We will never stop going back every chance we get.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 01:20:00 PM »
Definitely, definitely stay away from Shipwrecked, beer is bad and food might be worse.....classic tourist trap.

Make sure you look at the events page for Door County when you pick weekends, there are a lot of fun events like beer festivals, car shows, etc going on in summer and fall that are a good time to go to. Also, if you play golf there are a couple of really good courses up there including Peninsula State Park and The Orchards.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 01:23:22 PM »
I've been fortunate to be able to go each year since 1983.  We get there 8-10 times during the year, with the last time of the year being Thanksgiving.   Many times we never get off our property though, given that we can boat, kayak, SUP and swim from the property.  We stay in one house and VRBO renters stay in the smaller cottage (holds 4 adults).

Lots o' festivals throughout each season to hit up as well, each in a different town during different times of the year. 

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 01:24:02 PM »
Really, must have been recently because we were up there two years ago and it was still dry

It was a couple of years ago but honestly we have our places set so we haven't tried to eat in town there outside of Wilsons.  ;)

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 01:57:36 PM »

A suggestion.  If your schedule can swing it, go a week or two after Labor Day.  The rates will be better, and they will go up again in the fall, and it won't be as crowded.

If you are into breweries, distilleries, etc.  Door County Brewing in Bailey's Harbor and Hatch Distilling in Egg Harbor are fun.  Shipwrecked in Egg Harbor is godawful.  A ton of wineries that range from "meh" to "pretty decent."

I will echo that Fish Creek, Ephraim and Sister Bay are going to be the best for shopping.  And we never go south of Egg Harbor or Bailey's Harbor once we get up there.

Some people are really into fish boils.  I can go without but I don't want to bias anyone against it.

Agree with all these. We went the third weekend of September and it was wonderful. The taproom at Door Co/Hacienda Brewing is great, and they typically have live music at night.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 01:59:56 PM »
The Bayside Tavern in Fish Creek is always fun, and for outdoor drinking hit Fred and Fuzzy's just south of Sister Bay for some good sunset views at an outdoor bar.  The beer garden at Al Johnson's is great too.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 02:10:00 PM »

Just make sure to take bikes if you go to Washington Island.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 02:12:20 PM »
Heading up there right now. I can’t disagree with anything said here.

Roots is a B&B in Sister Bay that a young couple from my hometown own. We had a great stay there and so have a number of friends and family.

You can get Door County Cherry stuffed French Toast for breakfast at White Gull Inn. Cookery is also good, but I liked the character pre-fire.

Alexander’s in Fish Creek is a great dinner place.

Our friends from Marquette own Clink! in Ephraim. A DIY craft place that is a blast. Kid friendly too.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 02:27:34 PM »
For golf I recommend Pirate's Cove in Sister Bay. You can get through 18 in no time, even when crowded.

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2020, 02:29:42 PM »
For golf I recommend Pirate's Cove in Sister Bay. You can get through 18 in no time, even when crowded.

Yeah but no carts.  Have to carry your club.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2020, 02:34:40 PM »

Ephraim voted in 2016, enacted in 2017 to drop the dry designation.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/04/05/voters-in-ephraim-vote-to-allow-beer-wine-sales/84954306/

FruitStandJim - We go to Door County about 3x per year now.  It's probably where we'll retire when our kids abandon us.

Labor Day weekend will be pretty busy, the last hurrah of summer, somewhere in the top 5 busiest weekends.   That's not to say you should abandon that weekend .. it just means restaurants will be packed.   The roads being busy isn't that big a deal .. maybe it takes you 4 minutes more to get through Fish Creek.  Not a high price to pay.

That being said .. if you went up a week earlier, it'd be nicer.

We've stayed all over the county, but have gravitated to staying within walking distance of a downtown, like Sister Bay or Fish Creek.    When you go to Door, you do tend to do a decent amount of driving.  It's super nice to be able to abandon the car at night, walk into town for dinner or ice cream, or just sit near the marina or beach.

Lots of good advice in this thread .. I'd second the motion on going to Northern Sky Theater for an outdoor performance -- although on Labor Day weekend, I think I'd buy tickets in advance.

I'd also vote against Washington Island on your first trip to DC.  Wash Island is nice, but .. after a couple hours you're done, and it's a lot of effort.  There's 50 things to do in DC before you go there.  Once you've hit 50, go to Wash Island.

(That being said, if you like a good hike, take the ferry to Washington, then the next ferry to Rock Island.  No cars on the island, incredible boathouse, cool hike to the lighthouse/tour.)
Also .. if you are feeling nostalgic .. go to the outdoor movie theater and take in a movie or stay late for two.

kevindiabetes

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2020, 03:29:06 PM »
The Bayside Tavern in Fish Creek is always fun, and for outdoor drinking hit Fred and Fuzzy's just south of Sister Bay for some good sunset views at an outdoor bar.  The beer garden at Al Johnson's is great too.

The beer garden at Al Johnson's is a great stop to hang out with a bloody or beer outside. They have cornhole out front if you're passing time waiting for a table inside the restaurant, as well. Hitting up the Skyway drive-in theater is a fun retro activity for an evening. Also recommend renting kayak/canoe at Nicolet Beach in Peninsula State to get a different view of the shoreline. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2020, 04:08:11 PM »
The beer garden at Al Johnson's is great too.

So are the goats on the roof

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2020, 04:08:39 PM »

What does the course tip out at?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2020, 04:21:11 PM »
I will second what 'topper said in his reply:  a lot of good advice in this thread. 

Ephraim never had many restaurants, so the "dry" designation was never that big of a deal, unless you wanted a beer while the kids/spouse was having a cone at Wilson's.

Sunsets at Fred & Fuzzy's are superb.   Really a cool place. 

Keep in mind that the lake side can (and usually is) 10 or 15 degrees cooler than the bay-side.  It can be 78 in Sister Bay and 62 in Baileys Harbor.

Someone mentioned the Nightengale Supper Club in Sturgeon Bay:  I'd pass.  You'd be better off heading to Birmingham's Bar (Bay Shore Drive) if you are near Sturgeon Bay.  My favorite is Donny's Glidden Lodge on the lake side.  You will need reservations.

Something a little different if anyone reading will be near Sturgeon Bay on Saturday May 2, 2020:  once a year the Rotary sponsors a tour of the shipyards.  They build some pretty large vessels there.  I think the tickets are online only.  And it's the only way to get in unless you work there. 

And the public golf course at Peninsula State Park is a very fun golfing experience.   
Ludum habemus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2020, 05:33:18 PM »
I need to go to Glidden Lodge.   Just never quite get there.

Hey, I heard it was pronounced "Gly den" .. is that accurate?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2020, 05:56:30 PM »
Glidden. Not Glydin.

And the pan fried perch at the Nightengale is to die for.

The burgers at Birmingham’s are on bread.  Outstanding.

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2020, 06:19:59 PM »
The beer garden at Al Johnson's is a great stop to hang out with a bloody or beer outside. They have cornhole out front if you're passing time waiting for a table inside the restaurant, as well. Hitting up the Skyway drive-in theater is a fun retro activity for an evening. Also recommend renting kayak/canoe at Nicolet Beach in Peninsula State to get a different view of the shoreline.

Also, the current member of the Johnson family is a Marquette grad. The last time I was there, they had a basket of magazines to read while you waited for your table. One of them was Marquette's alumni magazine.
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2020, 07:43:29 PM »
Anyone else absolutely hate Door County? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2020, 07:45:45 PM »
For those who have been to both, compare Door county to the Leelanau peninsula.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2020, 07:48:31 PM »

Future's So Bright. I Gotta Wear Shades. Owner is the guy from Timbuk 3. At least as of a couple years ago.

For a quick burger, probably the best in the area.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2020, 07:50:11 PM »
Always hit White Gull for breakfast at least once.

Agree about the Cookery - nothing special.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2020, 08:11:46 PM »
If you go to Door County in mid-summer, a trip to Fragrant Isle lavender farm on Washington Island is an absolute must.  The lavender plants are in bloom then, and it is stunningly beautiful.

Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2020, 08:12:21 PM »
Dyckesville bowling with the best cheese curds in the state....or at least Brown County....close to Door.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 08:17:19 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2020, 08:13:24 PM »
Dyckesville bowling with the best cheese curds in the state....or at least Door County.

Relatives?
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2020, 08:16:21 PM »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2020, 08:17:47 PM »
If you go to Door County in mid-summer, a trip to Fragrant Isle lavender farm on Washington Island is an absolute must.  The lavender plants are in bloom then, and it is stunningly beautiful.

Gorgeous

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2020, 12:50:24 PM »
Future's So Bright. I Gotta Wear Shades. Owner is the guy from Timbuk 3. At least as of a couple years ago.

Yes, pAt MacDonald's family has owned the Bayside for years.

If you're a musician, check out the Holiday Music Motel in Sturgeon Bay. https://holidaymusicmotel.com/home  It's an old retro hotel owned by a couple musicians, and they put on all kinds of collaborative shows (I think every night) with whoever stops in.  They also organize the annual Steel Bridge Song Festival every June in Sturgeon Bay. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2020, 01:38:29 PM »

We go every year at that time, its a great time to be up there.

Eat: Wickman House (best in DC), Al Johnson's (breakfast), Julie's (breakfast), Chives (Dinner), Wild Tomato (lunch, dinner), Discourse (coffee), Wilson's (ice cream), English Inn (After dinner Ice cream drinks!), Good Egg's (breakfast on the way out of DC)
Stay:  We usually stay at the High Point Inn just between Ephraim and Sister Bay.  Nice rooms, best location
Drinks:  Door County Brewing/Hacienda Brewing, Hatch Distillery, One Barrel Brewing, Island Orchard... or any of the 7 or 8 wineries.
Do: Peninsula State Park, Washington Island (be prepared to spend a bit of money to get there and back), Sunset sailboat cruise, Sister Bay Bowl is worth a game, Golf... and you have to check out PC Junction.  I have no clue how this place doesn't get sued into the ground yearly.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2020, 01:39:07 PM »
Dyckesville bowling with the best cheese curds in the state....or at least Brown County....close to Door.

Seconded. Great curds. Cheap beer. Bar pizza. Can't beat it.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2020, 09:40:43 AM »
Yeah but no carts.  Have to carry your club.

What does the course tip out at?

I'd suggest $5 if you put your ball in the pond and have to go ask for a new one.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2020, 10:27:25 AM »
Speaking of curds, on the way in and out of Door, do yourself a favor and stop at Renard's Cheese.  Either on 57 or Hwy S, depending on which direction you are coming from.  You can buy Renard's Cheese at a few stores on the peninsula, but nothing better than freshly made.  And the string cheese there is soooo good. 

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2020, 10:59:21 AM »

The owner is the father of the Barbara of Timbuk 3.

Has the Shipwrecked been rebuilt since it burned down? Our HOG chapter has stayed at the Coachlight Inn several times, good people running that place.

Agree with others about Glidden, nice setting and good food. Another unique thing is Door County still has an outdoor theater, we usually go on rainy nights when we camp @ Peninsula. The Viking Grill in Ellison Bay has great breakfasts, we usually stop there on the way to Newport for an all day hike.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2020, 11:06:40 AM »
Has the Shipwrecked been rebuilt since it burned down?

Yes.  Nice building in the same location.  Terrible beer.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2020, 11:16:50 AM »
Anyone else absolutely hate Door County?
I do.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2020, 11:29:23 AM »
The new Shipwrecked .. isn't horrible, not great.  We went shortly after it re-opened.  The decor inside was .. bad.   Loud inside, but the patio is nice, as is the view from upstairs.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2020, 11:34:26 AM »
My wife’s family is from Door County, so we have been going up there 3 to 5 times /year for 35 years (and she of course longer- she even worked in Fish Creek one summer during college). No need to re-hash all the great recommendations above, though in scrolling quickly through I may have missed The Farm in Sturgeon Bay -a must if you have kids.

Thinking of building a place on the bluff north of egg harbor.  My favorite thing to do is drive or bike from Sturgeon Bay to Egg Harbor on Bay Shore Drive, especially in the fall.  Also great fall drives way north. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2020, 12:06:29 PM »

Thinking of building a place on the bluff north of egg harbor.  My favorite thing to do is drive or bike from Sturgeon Bay to Egg Harbor on Bay Shore Drive, especially in the fall.  Also great fall drives way north.

The ride from Egg Harbor up to Fish Creek is very nice as well, though much shorter.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2020, 02:01:26 PM »
Agreed! And that's where my wife's family has a nice lot on the bluff.  Juddville.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:03:11 PM by LloydsLegs »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2020, 10:13:58 PM »

Yes.  Nice building in the same location.  Terrible beer.

I have a story of me being a total pretty boy to my mother in law.

She went to DC and got me a 6 pack of beer, and it was Shipwrecked.  I had been to the brewery and dropped what amounted to, "Thanks, its terrible beer".

Biggest moment of foot in mouth in my entire life... and that is saying something.

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2020, 07:58:37 AM »
I have a story of me being a total pretty boy to my mother in law.

She went to DC and got me a 6 pack of beer, and it was Shipwrecked.  I had been to the brewery and dropped what amounted to, "Thanks, its terrible beer".

Biggest moment of foot in mouth in my entire life... and that is saying something.

There is a beautiful craft beer festival in Egg Harbor in late September.  Right in the park next to the water where 42 hangs a right toward Fish Creek - and right next to Shipwrecked.

The funny thing is, there are all sorts of lines for beer...except for Shipwrecked.  Nobody seems to like them.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2020, 08:02:43 AM »

There is a beautiful craft beer festival in Egg Harbor in late September.  Right in the park next to the water where 42 hangs a right toward Fish Creek - and right next to Shipwrecked.

The funny thing is, there are all sorts of lines for beer...except for Shipwrecked.  Nobody seems to like them.

I checked out their reviews on BeerAdvocate, I don't think I've ever seen an entire brewery with a lower average score.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2020, 08:16:48 AM »
White Gull Inn for breakfast and Wild Tomato for pizza.  Both delicious. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2020, 09:41:35 AM »
I checked out their reviews on BeerAdvocate, I don't think I've ever seen an entire brewery with a lower average score.

When I went to the old brewery years ago... the best way I could describe their beer was that they didn't know how crucial of an ingredient water is.  Every single one of the tasters on the flight tasted like the water profile had a TON of iron in it. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2022, 01:48:15 PM »
For those who have been to both, compare Door county to the Leelanau peninsula.

Leaning Door tomorrow after a week long trip.

Leelanau 4 out of 5 trips.