[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

What's in store for Markus on June 25th, 2020?

Lottery Pick. Can't deny him after he carried MU to a NC behind 35ppg in the tourney.
0 (0%)
1st Round. That deep NCAA run was sweeeet.
11 (6.9%)
Guaranteed Money (2nd Round). Worth a shot on the leading scorer All-American.
66 (41.3%)
Late 2nd Round. You can't teach size.
68 (42.5%)
Undrafted. Size concerns plus late season collapse spells G-league or Europe.
15 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Author Topic: M2N  (Read 11574 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: M2N
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2020, 04:06:06 PM »
Is Jimmer Fredette a less obvious comp?

I feel like Markus will follow a similar path, professionally, to Jimmer.

We'll, Jimmer was the #10 overall pick in 2011. So for Draft purposes at least, Markus loves that comparison.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2020, 04:17:11 PM »
Good call.

Another thing to add:  I suspect GM's there is a very small component of a GM's decision-making process to be able to defend their draft choices - as far as rationale for selection.  Would be hard to fault a GM for taking Markus late first/second round.
That’s a huge difference. It’s the difference for a GM. 2nd rounders have been flyers, where 1st rounders need to be hits for GMs to keep their jobs.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2020, 05:23:43 PM »
That’s a huge difference. It’s the difference for a GM. 2nd rounders have been flyers, where 1st rounders need to be hits for GMs to keep their jobs.

I'm not sure that's really the case.
Draft picks outside the lottery have relatively low value in the NBA these days, which is why good teams are so willing to part with them. I don't think any GM is losing a job over missing on late picks.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2020, 05:46:02 PM »
I'm not sure that's really the case.
Draft picks outside the lottery have relatively low value in the NBA these days, which is why good teams are so willing to part with them. I don't think any GM is losing a job over missing on late picks.

Yeah it's kinda crazy, NFL you accumulate as many picks as possible, and even late rounders have value. outside of the top 5-10 in the NBA is essentially just trade fodder

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2020, 05:58:47 PM »
Is Jimmer Fredette a less obvious comp?

I feel like Markus will follow a similar path, professionally, to Jimmer.

Cometely agree.

Markus and Jimmer are about as close of a basketball comparison as you can make between two players.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2020, 06:02:27 PM »
Are there any really short spot up shooters? The ones that come to mind are all kinda lengthy

If a spot up shooter is short, it's easier to close out on him/his shot.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2020, 06:25:16 PM »
Are there any really short spot up shooters? The ones that come to mind are all kinda lengthy

Right. Which is why I think he will need to be a point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2020, 07:57:54 PM »
I have a very hard time seeing him going undrafted as the NCAA leading scorer on a high-major team in a very competitive big east, a Wooden finalist and 1st team all-american. If he isn't those things it's likely that he (and by extension the team) will have done very poorly the rest of the season.

Due da name, Scottie Reynolds, wring a bell, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2020, 10:16:57 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

1SE

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2020, 01:25:57 AM »

Nice call

Again - AND leading high-major scorer (two-years in a row no less!)
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2020, 05:39:58 AM »

Lou Williams is 6-1, and he plays off the ball a lot. The Hornets have been using Terry Rozier, at 6-1, a ton as a catch-and-shoot guy. Later in his career, Jason Terry became more of a spot-up shooter than a true PG. Craig Hodges was generously listed as 6-2, and he had no trouble getting open 3s during 10 years standing behind the arc as a spot-up shooter.

It's not common ... but then again 6-footish guys playing key roles for NBA teams isn't very common, period.

Markus has a quick release, and he would find himself quite open fairly regularly in the NBA. On a per-minute basis, he probably would get way more wide-open 3 looks in the NBA than he has these last couple of years at Marquette, where ever defense keys on him.

That doesn't mean he wouldn't play some PG if he makes an NBA roster. He just hasn't exhibited many great, NBA-level PG skills so far IMHO.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2020, 06:55:03 AM »
Again - AND leading high-major scorer (two-years in a row no less!)

Yeah I mean there's no perfect comparison but I do think that's a pretty darn good one
Maigh Eo for Sam

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2020, 06:51:45 PM »
The other thing is this.   What type of defender gives Markus the most trouble?    Long armed defenders who are as quick as he is.    What is nearly every single guard in the NBA?    A long armed defender who is as quick as he is.    I hope I am wrong.     He is an amazing player and an amazing representative of our university.   I just keep doing a mental check of sub 6' players in the NBA and compare them to Markus.      I hope his truly elite shooting skills are enough.

I believe this to be the case.  If he is drafted it will be late 2nd round.

There were two PGs under 6ft drafted last year in Carsen Edward and Tremont Waters. Both are currently in the G league. I think both are more athletic but not as good shooters.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2020, 07:06:44 PM »
Found a post from last year when discussing Markus where 4never said that Markus hadn't improved under Wojo.    I love that.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2020, 07:28:34 PM »
Found a post from last year when discussing Markus where 4never said that Markus hadn't improved under Wojo.    I love that.

Ya gotta give Doc a break. He was a little woozy from celebrating the fact that Wojo missed on a couple of 5-star recruits. He's still bummed that we got Dawson.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2020, 08:10:49 PM »

JayBee had M2N from Day 1 at MU. Feather in his cap there. Stan said Markus would be a program changer. Markus shot 50% from 3 as a frosh. Markus generally went home every summer and trained under his brother. Not sure Wojo is the source of Markus’s improvement?

If Wojo made an impact it was by giving him the ultimate green light and sticking with that for three years - despite there being times it wasn’t beneficial, caused chemistry issues, and ultimately transfers.

When a coach has your back to this extent and gives the longest leash, no doubt that helps to extract the most out of a player.  So..that where I see Wojo making the biggest mark on Markus.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2020, 09:08:31 PM »
JayBee had M2N from Day 1 at MU. Feather in his cap there. Stan said Markus would be a program changer. Markus shot 50% from 3 as a frosh. Markus generally went home every summer and trained under his brother. Not sure Wojo is the source of Markus’s improvement?

If Wojo made an impact it was by giving him the ultimate green light and sticking with that for three years - despite there being times it wasn’t beneficial, caused chemistry issues, and ultimately transfers.

When a coach has your back to this extent and gives the longest leash, no doubt that helps to extract the most out of a player.  So..that where I see Wojo making the biggest mark on Markus.
Lol

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2020, 09:34:40 PM »
Markus is a better player and shooter overall, but Russ Smith from Louisville is another good more contemporary comp

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2020, 09:41:11 PM »
For a NPOY candidate, Markus does not get the proportionate respect from the officials.   He can get literally wrestled into a turnover and knocked to the ground without calls.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2020, 09:42:55 PM »
For a NPOY candidate, Markus does not get the proportionate respect from the officials.   He can get literally wrestled into a turnover and knocked to the ground without calls.

And freedom of movement is out the window in regards to him. He gets held/pushed off the ball constantly.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2020, 10:48:38 PM »
Ah, Markus crapped da bed tonite. Just sayin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2020, 10:49:24 PM »
Check his numbers from the 11:34 minute mark onward after getting mugged twice in a row.   

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2020, 10:53:12 PM »
Check his numbers from the 11:34 minute mark onward after getting mugged twice in a row.

Marshall said it after the game...Markus hoisted some baaaad shots.

(If you're wondering, yes, if they had gone, they'd have been great shots)

feedback