Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 14-5  (Read 18708 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: 14-5
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2020, 04:10:14 PM »
Both Vegas and KenPom said we "should" have lost to Georgetown.
I don’t subscribe.
No Finish Line

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2020, 04:18:02 PM »
I did not see the play and have not had a chance to watch the replay, but I knew the T was coming.  Rutherford shouted something and then angrily stormed over to the other side of the court.  Way more of a reaction to what he thought was a bad call, and he was showing the ref up.  No doubt about the T at all. 

He's lucky he didn't get one about ten seconds into the game when he picked up his first v. Markus.  My guess is the refs gave him a break then.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2020, 04:26:42 PM »
I disagree, you should never EXPECT to lose as a fan either. That's a loser's mentality. Sure, you can understand that it's a possibility(sometimes maybe a good possibility) on any given day, but to expect it?? No way.

I do enjoy it..when they win. When they lose, I don't. Should I be enjoying losses?? That would seem very odd to me.

I literally never said you should be enjoying losses.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2020, 04:28:36 PM »
I don’t subscribe.

Vegas requires a subscription?  ;)

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2020, 04:40:43 PM »
Agreed. We dropped one we “should’ve” won, time to win one we “should” lose

I don't know that Providence is the pushover everyone thought they were, and can be classified as a "should" win game.

They beat the Hoyas by 16, beat a tough DePaul team on the road, beat St Johns, played Butler tough, and just gave Creighton a scare on the road. They looked every bit Marquettes equal in another road win.

Having seen almost every team play(I have yet to see DePaul), I don't know if I think any of Marquettes upcoming opponents are "should" win games. I'm guessing some of Marquettes opponents fan bases also thought MU was a "should" win game. Oops.

The conference is truly as tough as people projected it to be.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 04:45:42 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2020, 04:46:22 PM »
I don't know that Providence is the pushover everyone thought they were, and can be classified as a "should" win game.

They beat the Hoyas by 16, beat a tough DePaul team on the road, beat St Johns, player Butler tough, and just gave Creighton a scare on the road. They looked every bit Marquettes equal in another road win.

Having seen almost every team play(I have yet to see DePaul), I don't know if I think any of Marquettes upcoming opponents are "should" win games. I'm guessing some of Marquettes opponents fan bases also thought MU was a "should" win game. Oops.

The conference is truly as tough as people projected it to be.

Agreed. We may not have a legit top-5 team this year, but I'd take our cellar-dwellers over the dregs of any other P6 conference.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2020, 04:57:20 PM »

Providence isn't a pushover, and Marquette should have won. Even as badly as MU played most of the game, it was there for them. Classic case of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2020, 06:03:33 PM »
Providence isn't a pushover, and Marquette should have won. Even as badly as MU played most of the game, it was there for them. Classic case of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I'm talking about chalking it up as a "should" win before the game even starts.

How many "should" wins do people see coming up in conference play??

Put another way..... How many conference teams does Marquette outclass to such an obvious degree that a win is a virtual lock in the upcoming games??

Goose

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2020, 06:22:52 PM »
PC will give team fits. They are a decent team and well coached. They will be challenge on the road.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2020, 06:40:00 PM »
St. John's created an average 18.5 turnovers per game in their first six Big East contests. Marquette committed 15 last night.
Sure, it could have been better, but a C- grade for a game in which St. John's was kept about 20 percent below their average seems pretty harsh.

You don't have to ignore the fact that different basketball games have different amounts of possessions.

MU's 20.7% turnover rate was the second best against StJ in BEast play this year (only Georgetown's 19.6% was better), StJ's turned Butler over 35%+
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2020, 06:41:09 PM »

Yup. If Reeves' shot to force overtime doesn't fall, I think much of the angst on this board would be noticeably different.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2020, 07:06:49 PM »
Agreed.   Hold on to that one and the tone would be different.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2020, 08:31:00 PM »
Agreed.   Hold on to that one and the tone would be different.

I honestly can't tell if that comment was serious or sarcastic.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2020, 08:45:36 PM »
A little of both.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2020, 08:52:34 PM »
I did not see the play and have not had a chance to watch the replay, but I knew the T was coming.  Rutherford shouted something and then angrily stormed over to the other side of the court.  Way more of a reaction to what he thought was a bad call, and he was showing the ref up.  No doubt about the T at all.

To you and all others who saw that play and its aftermath more clearly than I did, I appreciate the explanations.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 04:09:43 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Carl Spackler

• Starter
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2020, 08:34:58 AM »
I know I'm going to regret this but what is the other game aside from Providence that they "should" have won?  Yes, we've gotten our butts kicked a few times, which is extremely frustrating, but losses on the road to Wisconsin, Creighton and Seton Hall and a neutral court loss to Maryland are hardly unexpected.

exactly right.

the ignore list is a wonderful thing.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2020, 09:57:04 AM »
I know I'm going to regret this but what is the other game aside from Providence that they "should" have won?  Yes, we've gotten our butts kicked a few times, which is extremely frustrating, but losses on the road to Wisconsin, Creighton and Seton Hall and a neutral court loss to Maryland are hardly unexpected.

Premise here is correct.  However, would have liked to see us be more competitive against WI, Creighton, and Maryland.  We probably don't win any of those games, but how we lost was disappointing and caused angst.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2020, 12:50:13 PM »
Premise here is correct.  However, would have liked to see us be more competitive against WI, Creighton, and Maryland.  We probably don't win any of those games, but how we lost was disappointing and caused angst.

Obviously it's disappointing when you get your a** kicked multiple times - you always want to be more competitive.  Blowouts obviously happen (see what happened to Memphis last night).  We just may have more of a propensity to lose big on the road if MH is off considering our other weapons haven't developed any consistency yet, although we've been seen more of it lately.  But to have expected wins in those games is silly. 

feedback