'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by tower912
[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 14-5  (Read 18711 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Re: 14-5
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2020, 11:53:29 AM »
BTW, Tower, you can use "Escape from New York" as your subject line if we win a close one on the road in our last game of the season. I don't think Cracked Sidewalks would mind. (See link.)

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2010/02/escape-from-new-york-35-days-after.html
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2020, 11:58:34 AM »
An odd expectation if you think Hausergate was catastrophic and Wojo can't coach.
But MU spends a lot of money or something.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2020, 12:06:21 PM »
Things must be going pretty well if Sacar scores 21 points (tied for second-most of his career) while shooting 4-11 from beyond the arc (36.4%, better than Markus) and fans are hoping he could hit a "few more" open threes.

Three straight solid team efforts. Well done. But Marquette faces one of the toughest stretches of the season during the next 5 games (rankings and projected win percentages per KenPom):

@ #15 Butler (29%)
  @ #59 Xavier (50%)
  #54 DePaul (72%)
  #15 Butler (54%)
  @ #19 Villanova (34%)

Three road games. (Villanova is undefeated at home this season, Butler's only home loss is against #11 Seton Hall.) Three games against teams ranked in the NET Top 20. A tremendous challenge, for sure. But also a tremendous opportunity.

A 2-3 record won't be the end of the world, but would put us at 16-8 (6-6 in the Big East) -- right back in the middle of the pack, with work to do just to make the NCAA tournament.

Go 3-2 and we're 17-7 (7-5), which essentially maintains the status quo. We'd still be among the top 4 teams in the Big East with an outside chance at a conference title, looking ahead to a likely NCAA seed somewhere in the 6 to 8 range.

If MU manages to go 4-1, that would be a big statement. We'd be 18-6 (8-4 in the Big East) with at least 3 wins against Top 20 teams -- which would help us climb the conference standings, significantly improve our NET ranking and put us in the running for a higher seed.

Whatever the outcome, we should learn a lot about this team in the next few weeks.

Before conference play started Kenpom projected us to be 5-7 after 12 games and then win 5 of 6 to end the season at 10-8.

If we get 2 wins during this stretch I'll be content. 3-2 I'd be very happy. 4-1 would be incredible and I think unrealistic.

Hoping they win the 2 home games and steal one on the road.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2020, 12:14:13 PM »
Three of those turnovers last night were nice dimes to Theo too. Unfortunately, those were given to the passer.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2020, 12:21:32 PM »
I had CUSA UAB game flashbacks and it was not good.
St. John's will be extremely tough in future seasons.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2020, 12:34:42 PM »
Some thoughts about last night:

1) I was impressed by the way every time we were challenged, we rose to the occasion. When St. John's closed the gap to two points in the second half, we went on a 7-0 run. We were stirred but not shaken. That's a credit to our senior and junior leadership.

2) We found the open man throughout the game. Yes, the shots didn't always go down and Yes, Markus had an unworldly amount of points, but the passing was generally crisp and the open guy shot. That's good coaching and something that comes with patience and court-smarts. Way to go Wojo!

3) Theo, could you please catch the ball? And, while you are at it, you and Jayce need to stop dribbling the ball when you get it inside. You guys are beasts. Take it to the basket and shove your guy down the hole with the ball if you have to. But everytime you put it on the floor, you get it batted away! Learn, dudes, learn!

4) Uh, Theo, your defense was spectacular!

5) That 2-3 zone at the end of the first half was masterful. The Johnnies had no clue what was coming! Again, good coaching and excellent scouting.

6) Loved the progression in reduced turnovers. That was their key to the game. We've come a long way since early in the season.

All told, I think the team is where we thought it would be right now. Like most posters, I was disappointed by Providence but delighted by Villanova. We beat that mangie mongrel down in Indianapolis on Friday and we'll be in great shape.

Great point.  Loved it for a one possession 'change up' situation.

(I wonder if Wojo had the same idea brewing in the second half.  He briefly took Markus out late.  Then when the Johnnies cut it to 3 possessions it was absolutely necessary that our best FT shooters be all in the game.)

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2020, 12:48:48 PM »
I only saw one quick replay. To me, it looked borderline -- Rutherford got a piece of the ball and, as his momentum continued, might have touched Markus' wrist. We've all seen similar not called dozens of times. Maybe another replay was shown in which it was more obvious; if so, I missed it. And the T seemed awfully quick, though maybe Rutherford said the magic word or something.

Just saying that if the exact same thing happened with Sacar defending Powell in a game at SH, most of us would not be happy about SH's home cookin'.

It was quick, but he did that reaction EVERY. SINGLE. FOUL. I imagine it was something he had been warned about previously-thus the quick whistle.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2020, 12:56:07 PM »
Some thoughts about last night:

1) I was impressed by the way every time we were challenged, we rose to the occasion. When St. John's closed the gap to two points in the second half, we went on a 7-0 run. We were stirred but not shaken. That's a credit to our senior and junior leadership.

2) We found the open man throughout the game. Yes, the shots didn't always go down and Yes, Markus had an unworldly amount of points, but the passing was generally crisp and the open guy shot. That's good coaching and something that comes with patience and court-smarts. Way to go Wojo!

3) Theo, could you please catch the ball? And, while you are at it, you and Jayce need to stop dribbling the ball when you get it inside. You guys are beasts. Take it to the basket and shove your guy down the hole with the ball if you have to. But everytime you put it on the floor, you get it batted away! Learn, dudes, learn!

4) Uh, Theo, your defense was spectacular!

5) That 2-3 zone at the end of the first half was masterful. The Johnnies had no clue what was coming! Again, good coaching and excellent scouting.

6) Loved the progression in reduced turnovers. That was their key to the game. We've come a long way since early in the season.

All told, I think the team is where we thought it would be right now. Like most posters, I was disappointed by Providence but delighted by Villanova. We beat that mangie mongrel down in Indianapolis on Friday and we'll be in great shape.

Nice work here.

I really liked our passing most of the game. Took only a few dopey shots, which every team does sometimes.

As for going to the zone on the last possession of the first half, I loved it. And what I loved even more was doing it out of a timeout that St. John's called. As a coach (at a much lower level, yes), that is my favorite time to change things up a little -- after the opposing coach has called time. They never expect it, and sometimes he or she even burns another timeout.

So, you EXPECTED that we would be 18-1 at this point in the year? 

I cannot believe you are short-selling guru's expectations. He thought that, through 19 games, we'd be 24-0.

"Wojo can't coach, and he hasn't recruited as well as some Scoopers claim, but I expect Marquette to win so much that the Big East would have just rewarded MU with 5 extra victories. Anybody who had lower expectations than that is just embracing mediocrity. But hey, that's why I'm the most competitive person in the world!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2020, 01:14:21 PM »
People say all the time "well look what else is happening around CBB" or "so and so just lost at home to xxx". So if a bunch of your buddies go jump off a bridge, should you go do it to?? Or if you do something you aren't supposed to and when asked why, is the response going to be "well, look at what so and so did! Everyone else is doing it, why can't I"??
This analogy is so nonsensical it makes my head hurt.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2020, 01:34:31 PM »
Friday is a "turning the corner" kind of game - a big road win after 3 solid games would move the needle from firmly sosojo to slightly projo.

Lose and that's treading water.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2020, 01:40:08 PM »

People say all the time "well look what else is happening around CBB" or "so and so just lost at home to xxx". So if a bunch of your buddies go jump off a bridge, should you go do it to?? Or if you do something you aren't supposed to and when asked why, is the response going to be "well, look at what so and so did! Everyone else is doing it, why can't I"??

Is this one of those TV commercials where you're turning into your dad??

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2020, 01:45:04 PM »
Koby’s body language has noticeably improved. He seems to have settled in and is letting the game come to him much  better then he was in the non conference season. Decision making has been really good for awhile now. Love it when he gets in the lane and looks to kick it out to a shooter.......Skip.passes have been great too.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2020, 01:47:21 PM »
It was quick, but he did that reaction EVERY. SINGLE. FOUL. I imagine it was something he had been warned about previously-thus the quick whistle.
I also noticed Koby turned towards the ref with his hands out as Rutherford ran away, as if to say, "why do i get t'd up when i do that?" And a second later the tech was called.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2020, 01:47:26 PM »
Certainly should NOT have lost to UW, and the Creighton loss if iffy to me. Going in really didn't think they would lose that game. Certainly didn't expect them to get their doors blown off.

Maryland...ok, and maybe YOU and others EXPECTED to lose to Creighton and UW on the road..I did not. I still will never understand that whole "expect(ed)" to lose that game mentality. I don't know if it's a way for people to somewhat feel like it was okay after they lose, or what the deal is with it. But to me you should never EXPECT to lose a game. understand that yes it COULD happen on any given day, but to expect it?? To me, that's backwards.

As a player no, but as a rational fan... c'mon.

Why are you even here if you don't enjoy it?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2020, 01:53:38 PM »
Koby’s body language has noticeably improved. He seems to have settled in and is letting the game come to him much  better then he was in the non conference season. Decision making has been really good for awhile now. Love it when he gets in the lane and looks to kick it out to a shooter.......Skip.passes have been great too.

Speaking of body language, Brendan's looked very bad almost the entire game...

Right up until his poster dunk!!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2020, 02:41:04 PM »
This analogy is so nonsensical it makes my head hurt.

Only because it's spot on, and you can't/won't admit it. So what you are saying is, just because something happens to someone, that that means others should NOT be exempt from it happening?? Gotcha.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2020, 02:44:01 PM »
As a player no, but as a rational fan... c'mon.

Why are you even here if you don't enjoy it?

I disagree, you should never EXPECT to lose as a fan either. That's a loser's mentality. Sure, you can understand that it's a possibility(sometimes maybe a good possibility) on any given day, but to expect it?? No way.

I do enjoy it..when they win. When they lose, I don't. Should I be enjoying losses?? That would seem very odd to me.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2020, 02:44:41 PM »
I disagree, you should never EXPECT to lose as a fan either. That's a loser's mentality. Sure, you can understand that it's a possibility(sometimes maybe a good possibility) on any given day, but to expect it?? No way.

I do enjoy it..when they win. When they lose, I don't. Should I be enjoying losses?? That would seem very odd to me.

Dear lord.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2020, 02:47:22 PM »

That's fine if you want to never expect a loss.
But if you react to a loss at Villanova the same way as you would a home loss to Central Arkansas (and some here do), then you're a crazy person

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2020, 03:01:17 PM »

Admitting a loss is a good possibility is the same as expecting a loss. By definition it's more likely to occur. You can still expect a loss while maintaining optimism. It's a realist mentality.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2020, 03:42:44 PM »
Only because it's spot on, and you can't/won't admit it. So what you are saying is, just because something happens to someone, that that means others should NOT be exempt from it happening?? Gotcha.
No, its a terrible analogy because you are trying to compare an athletic contest where two teams are opposing each other in competing their hardest to win vs. an individual acting completely on their own volition without opposition.  They aren't remotely similar, which is sort of the point of an analogy.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2020, 03:51:24 PM »
[quote author=muguru link=topic=59794.msg1197086#msg1197086 

just trying to make sure people understand that they did EXACTLY what everyone should have expected them to do these last 3...they still have to make up for the PC game somewhere.
[/quote]

Wait, the Providence game is over, isn't it.  It counted, right?  It's in the books.  So why is there any need to make it up? 

Ooohh, I get it.  You mean until the team's performance meets the standards you demand! Get over yourself guy.  Neither the team nor the school nor the fan base or people on this board owe you the time of day.  They do not have anything to make up.  They played the game.  They will play the rest of their schedule.  Whether you are satisfied with the outcome or not is irrelevant.  If you buy a ticket, you are entitled to an entertaining evening in a reasonably comfortable environment.  Or really, not even that.  As long as the environment is safe and a game takes place, your satisfaction is not required.  If you are not satisfied, sell your tickets. 

If you are a grad, you are entitled to expect the team will not embarrass the MU community.  There should not be any major scandals, no felony arrests, no blatant cheating, no students graduating who do not know how to read.  That's about it. 

So maybe that fits your definition of "OK." Maybe not.  Who cares?

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2020, 03:57:19 PM »
I only saw one quick replay. To me, it looked borderline -- Rutherford got a piece of the ball and, as his momentum continued, might have touched Markus' wrist. We've all seen similar not called dozens of times. Maybe another replay was shown in which it was more obvious; if so, I missed it. And the T seemed awfully quick, though maybe Rutherford said the magic word or something.

Just saying that if the exact same thing happened with Sacar defending Powell in a game at SH, most of us would not be happy about SH's home cookin'.

I did not see the play and have not had a chance to watch the replay, but I knew the T was coming.  Rutherford shouted something and then angrily stormed over to the other side of the court.  Way more of a reaction to what he thought was a bad call, and he was showing the ref up.  No doubt about the T at all. 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2020, 04:05:47 PM »
Friday is a "turning the corner" kind of game - a big road win after 3 solid games would move the needle from firmly sosojo to slightly projo.

Lose and that's treading water.
Agreed. We dropped one we “should’ve” won, time to win one we “should” lose
No Finish Line

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2020, 04:07:43 PM »
Agreed. We dropped one we “should’ve” won, time to win one we “should” lose

Both Vegas and KenPom said we "should" have lost to Georgetown.