[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How Good A Coach Is Wojo - Using Charts  (Read 10646 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
Re: How Good A Coach Is Wojo - Using Charts
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2020, 07:17:12 PM »
To be fair to Ners, this iteration of him has been much more reasonable.

Thanks Jesu84. Think it is fair to say both “sides” of the Wojo debate have moved more to the middle from the former extreme points of view.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2020, 07:22:29 PM »
Speaking of wasting time. 25 posts per day on average. In addition to your other account. #unhinged

There is no “twisted logic.”  We share a different opinion. You think Wojo is a “jeweler” and the second coming of Coach K. I think he’s a mediocre coach, who was awful his first couple of years.

I always want MU to win. I compliment Wojo when/where I see fit and criticize the same.

First off...... You actually count my posts???? Creepy.

Second...... Considering all the facts and circumstances from the time of his hiring up to now, I think Wojo has delivered an acceptable level of success. I have never embellished his record.

Third.....You do everything in your power to minimize the challenges Wojo faced when he was hired, as well as his accomplishments over his tenure.

Own up to who and what you are.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2020, 07:30:45 PM »

Second...... Considering all the facts and circumstances from the time of his hiring up to now, I think Wojo has delivered an acceptable level of success. I have never embellished his record.

Third.....You do everything in your power to minimize the challenges Wojo faced when he was hired, as well as his accomplishments over his tenure.

I've told him I'll be in Houston end of Feb for a wedding...happy to meet with you Ners.  I'll give you my phone and as WhoaJoe continues to post what are you going to say?  He ain't me and I'm not him.  The Seton Hall game, maybe we catch it at a bar together in Houston.  I have to check with the timing of the wedding, but if that works where we can catch the game....come on....bury the hatchet on this.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2020, 07:43:02 PM »
Just curious......Does KenPom account for transfers like the Hausers or guys that are playing through injuries like Theo, Koby, and Jayce ?

Yeah actually. He takes submissions on injury minutiae from each team's fanbase and tweaks the model accordingly. You should send him a lengthy diatribe, I bet he would appreciate it.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2020, 07:59:22 PM »
Yeah actually. He takes submissions on injury minutiae from each team's fanbase and tweaks the model accordingly. You should send him a lengthy diatribe, I bet he would appreciate it.

Well done!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2020, 08:06:15 PM »

LOL. “I have one username and one username only.” –Hoopaloop
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2020, 08:27:35 PM »

The form software counts. It's right on your profile, which every registered user (but not guests) can see.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=profile;u=11808

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2020, 08:43:15 PM »
To be fair to Ners, this iteration of him has been much more reasonable.

Agreed. But none of the critiques are current. They are all the same old ones from years ago. Even if they are reasonable, it gets old quick.

It is possible I'm ignoring when Projos do similar things.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:45:18 PM by BM1090 »

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2020, 08:50:02 PM »
The form software counts. It's right on your profile, which every registered user (but not guests) can see.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=profile;u=11808

I didn't know that, though it's no less creepy to know that someone's looking up my profile to see how many times I post per day. I would never even think to do that.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2020, 09:19:03 PM »

Yeah, that was kinda the point. Models are great but they don't account for every variable. That's why when people try to compare "apples to apples" between two coaches it will always be apples to oranges. People offering coach Xs superior record as irrefutable evidence that Wojo is underperforming are just flat out wrong.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2020, 09:24:34 PM »
LOL. “I have one username and one username only.” –Hoopaloop

Well done. Despite my less than stellar rep here, I’ve never denied who I was when called out after creating a new account.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2020, 09:50:15 PM »
Well done. Despite my less than stellar rep here, I’ve never denied who I was when called out after creating a new account.

Right now I have one account and one account only.  Why are you afraid to watch the Seton Hall game so I can prove it?  Nervous that it will blow up the entire mythology around here? 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2020, 10:14:11 PM »
I’d ask the same about Larry Williams and going to Notre Dame.
I don't care where or if Wojo played / coached anywhere before MU. I just want him to succeed.

I for one was not a Larry Williams fan, but it had zero to do with him being a domer. I was on a board of directors of a large privately held company and our chairman hired Larry at Portland University. He was not impressed with Larry. He was not upset that Larry left for MU. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2020, 10:18:33 PM »
I don't care where or if Wojo played / coached anywhere before MU. I just want him to succeed.

I for one was not a Larry Williams fan, but it had zero to do with him being a domer. I was on a board of directors of a large privately held company and our chairman hired Larry at Portland University. He was not impressed with Larry. He was not upset that Larry left for MU.

Your chairman hired Larry and was also not impressed with Larry?  Seems like your chairman didn’t do a very good job then.

On the other subject it seems that some people hate Duke so much or people that went there that they hold it against them.  Glad you don’t.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2020, 10:24:36 PM »
Right now I have one account and one account only.  Why are you afraid to watch the Seton Hall game so I can prove it?  Nervous that it will blow up the entire mythology around here?

Quote from: Pakuni on March 25, 2012, 01:05:09 PM
It would be awesome if somone invented some kind of portable device that one could carry into an arena, and use to take photos and chat online.
Oh well, maybe someday.

“That would be awesome, but two things that I would contend on this.

1) Do you really think he would be on chat while watching a game in the stands?  I don't.
2)  More importantly,  the chat on Scoop is run on Adobe Flash.  iPhones don't work on flash.  I happen to know he uses an iPhone because I have received emails from him from time to time. I received one from him that day because I was having issues with my account here and I emailed him for Hilltopper's email address and he responded back from his iPhone with that email address.

Kind of hard to use a phone to do chat during a game that doesn't support adobe flash that the chat is run on which his mobile device doesn't have.”   –Hoopaloop, proving beyond a reasonable doubt that he can’t be Chicos
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2020, 10:25:41 PM »
Right now I have one account and one account only. 
“I haven't created any other screen names” --ChicosBailBonds

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2020, 10:30:40 PM »
“I haven't created any other screen names” --ChicosBailBonds

I have one account right now....happy to prove you wrong.  Say $5000 to charity? 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2020, 10:43:40 PM »
I have one account right now....happy to prove you wrong.  Say $5000 to charity?
Who could ever doubt your honesty?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2020, 10:51:21 PM »
Who could ever doubt your honesty?

You in or not?  You have been talking crap here for years....step up to the plate...easy to prove it....grab a bat

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2020, 10:52:46 PM »
Your chairman hired Larry and was also not impressed with Larry?  Seems like your chairman didn’t do a very good job then.
Huh? I guess so. PU was not crazy about the hire. I guess you have never made a bad hire. FWI, it happens everywhere including Marquette.

Our chairman, while not a perfect man (no one is), came from nothing and is worth $100MM+ so I guess he was not an idiot. I'm sure your story of success much more impressive.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2020, 10:56:06 PM »
Huh? I guess so. PU was not crazy about the hire. I guess you have never made a bad hire. FWI, it happens everywhere including Marquette.

Our chairman, while not a perfect man (no one is), came from nothing and is worth $100MM+ so I guess he was not an idiot. I'm sure your story of success much more impressive.

Awfully defensive

No, my story isn’t close to that.  Yes, people make bad hires.  That was, I thought, the point of my comment.  Instead of being unimpressed with Williams, maybe he should have been less impressed with himself for the hire.  An AD hire isn’t something you do casually over an hour interview.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2020, 11:12:14 PM »
Awfully defensive

No, my story isn’t close to that.  Yes, people make bad hires.  That was, I thought, the point of my comment.  Instead of being unimpressed with Williams, maybe he should have been less impressed with himself for the hire.  An AD hire isn’t something you do casually over an hour interview.

Okay, I'm lost. I don't follow this at all. "an hour interview"? Where did that come from?

The gentleman was very honest about the error of hiring Larry. In fact, he has always been very honest about all the mistakes in his career.

I didn't know he even knew Larry when he told me about him. So he was not trying to cover up an error.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2020, 10:52:53 AM »
You in or not?  You have been talking crap here for years....step up to the plate...easy to prove it....grab a bat
Let's bet $10,000 that you have a long history of lying about your identity.  You in or not, Hoopaloop?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2020, 11:18:26 AM »
Instead of charts let's use a power point edited by Wojo.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2020, 12:00:25 PM »

As to Wojo and his first two years...I actually thought that first year was Wojo's best coaching job.  He was willing to throw out his systems and patchwork it.

I agree with this. That’s why I’m wondering if Ed leaving may make Wojo a better coach. He can be very creative when he has no choice but to be creative. I wonder if we’d have some success in certain matchups running a 5-out type of offense if we can keep from being dominated inside on defense.

As for the ND/Duke comparisons, I don’t think it’s unrealistic to question if working at those schools sets someone up well for MU. It’s fair to wonder if Wojo can coach non-5 stars up since he didn’t have to at Duke. I think the jury is still out on that.

Or I’m sure an MU athletic department is much different to navigate than ND with football. It seems like Scholl has done much better than Larry with that. I haven’t heard much negativity about Scholl because of his ND ties.

feedback