Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: I hate tomorrow night’s game  (Read 13469 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: I hate tomorrow night’s game
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2020, 05:07:26 PM »
St. John's put tons of energy in the game versus Seton Hall on Saturday. Lot their 13 point lead. I feel and hope they will be flat on Tuesday.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2020, 05:57:27 PM »
You do understand the premise of the thread, yes?

Oh and, ahem...

Yes, the premise is that this is going to be a difficult game.  Notice I didn’t say that about Nova, but still said we would win.  I love the Nova matchup.  I loved the Xavier matchup.  I do NOT love the Johnnies matchup. 

No other motive or premise to understand. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2020, 05:58:47 PM »
I cannot recall a year in the last 40 that there were games against teams we should beat on paper that I did not feel a need for concern.  It did not matter who the coach was.  With losses against UWGreen Bay, Maine, DePaul, Stetson, Miami of Ohio, Omaha, and others to prove the point.   Conference games are always reasons for concern.

Stetson...Good Lord.  My Freshman year I think....but I thought we won.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2020, 06:02:40 PM »
St. John’s is a hard to team to judge but I think I would categorize them as a home team.

They played Butler, Zona, DePaul and Seton Hall tough but then got demolished by Xavier and Georgetown. Difference was where the games were played. They play Providence close on the road but that is it.

They have also been a game we should have won quite a few times since joining the big East.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2020, 06:15:57 PM »
St. John’s is a hard to team to judge but I think I would categorize them as a home team.

They played Butler, Zona, DePaul and Seton Hall tough but then got demolished by Xavier and Georgetown. Difference was where the games were played. They play Providence close on the road but that is it.

They have also been a game we should have won quite a few times since joining the big East.

Fair points.  I would note the Arizona game was in San Francisco

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2020, 06:29:45 PM »
It was said earlier but the real key is to limit live ball turnovers. St. John's half court offense is abysmal but they can score in transition. They bullied Seton Hall into 15 first half turnovers and had a 13 point halftime lead. Seton Hall limited the turnovers to 4 in the second half and outscored them by 16.

Seton Hall did have an interesting counterpunch in that game. They came out of halftime with a really aggressive full court press. St. John's looked like they had never seen a press before. It's possible they haven't because most coaches try to slow the game down against them. Don't think we try that strategy but it could be an interesting wrinkle.

I think with a friend home whistle, we should win pretty easily. At their place will be a little more difficult.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2020, 06:37:30 PM »
Fair points.  I would note the Arizona game was in San Francisco

You are correct. Zona is another home team.  Their best non-home win was a neutral court against Wake.  They haven’t won on the road. 

Regardless the Johnnies can be a good team on any given night but consistency is a problem. Hopefully we get them on a bad night so it isn’t close. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:48:02 PM by BallBoy »

Class71

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2020, 06:50:28 PM »
Big question for me is, can we handle their guard's defensive quickness? If we can keep our turnovers down we win this going away.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2020, 07:03:19 PM »
Big question for me is, can we handle their guard's defensive quickness? If we can keep our turnovers down we win this going away.

Call me a blind optimist, but with Koby and Brendan starting, I like Marquettes chances more than I have in the past.
Definitely on the defensive side of the ball, and certainly in handling StJ pressure on offense.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2020, 07:52:11 PM »
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/AD5p_kg5oAo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/AD5p_kg5oAo</a>

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2020, 08:20:43 PM »
Stetson...Good Lord.  My Freshman year I think....but I thought we won.

MU added Stetson to the schedule in 1979.    With a road game the following year in Florida to give Oliver Lee a "home" game. 
At the time Lee was referred to as the Magic Johnson of Florida.

The local paper even ran with the headline, "Welcome home Big O" on gameday.
They packed in over 6,000 to their gym.  Looking back I wonder if Lee's little 3-year nephew Vince Carter was in attendance.

Stetson had a big guy and they feed the ball in and the combo of Schlundt/Byrd were no match.

I think MU played them for about 10 years with only the 1980 game in Florida.   I'm pretty sure MU won all the other games.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:22:47 PM by oldwarrior81 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2020, 09:00:21 PM »
O Lee definitely had a world of talent. Always loved his one handed rebounds.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2020, 11:21:21 PM »
MU opens minus 9

That's a lotta freakin' points. I wouldn't be comfortable betting on MU, that's for sure ... but then again, I never bet on our games either way.

O Lee definitely had a world of talent. Always loved his one handed rebounds.

O Lee was the star of the team my first three years at MU, though I much preferred Sam Worthen and, later, Glenn Rivers. O Lee was the definition of "knucklehead." He had a world of talent but he'd make several knuckleheaded plays every game. He also was a guy who might not have qualified for MU under today's academic rules.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2020, 06:59:19 AM »
If we come out as flat as vs. PC, the eight we have to lay might as well be 18.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2020, 09:06:03 AM »
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/AD5p_kg5oAo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/AD5p_kg5oAo</a>

Love those unis.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2020, 10:06:40 AM »
If we come out as flat as vs. PC, the eight we have to lay might as well be 18.

This is the result of the crowd as well.

PC game was "too early" for many. Forum half full coming off a win against Nova and it's no surprise the kids looked nonchalant as the crowd provided the atmosphere of a morgue.

Johnnies game is probably "too late" for some. Could only be 12-14,000. If they're as quiet, regardless of play on the floor, as they were against PC you'll likely see the same outcome.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2020, 10:27:17 AM »

PC game was "too early" for many. Forum half full coming off a win against Nova and it's no surprise the kids looked nonchalant as the crowd provided the atmosphere of a morgue.

Johnnies game is probably "too late" for some. Could only be 12-14,000. If they're as quiet, regardless of play on the floor, as they were against PC you'll likely see the same outcome.

You might be right, but I'm not in love with that excuse. (Not saying you're making an excuse; just saying I hope it's not an excuse for the team.)

Play good basketball because you're supposed to play good basketball. We crushed USC at that Orlando tournament even though it looked on TV like only family and friends were in the arena.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2020, 12:16:51 PM »
You might be right, but I'm not in love with that excuse. (Not saying you're making an excuse; just saying I hope it's not an excuse for the team.)

Play good basketball because you're supposed to play good basketball. We crushed USC at that Orlando tournament even though it looked on TV like only family and friends were in the arena.

I agree with this. We are an experienced team and have played in front if less enthusiastic crowds. It’s kind of a given for weekday games. I think that we should be able to come out with the right energy so it’s not an issue.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2020, 12:37:55 PM »

615 "too early" and 815 "too late"?  Bunch of pansies. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2020, 12:46:19 PM »

PC game was well attended (14,400 paid).  Late forming but the crowd was good and loud for a game on break and early for those traveling to the game.  We were even surprised that it was so good.

Btw, that crowd was about 2,000 greater than the MU game at Seton Hall.  Spoiled.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2020, 01:14:14 PM »
PC game was well attended (14,400 paid).  Late forming but the crowd was good and loud for a game on break and early for those traveling to the game.  We were even surprised that it was so good.

Btw, that crowd was about 2,000 greater than the MU game at Seton Hall.  Spoiled.

I felt it was super quiet except for about two short times. Weird
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2020, 01:55:26 PM »
I felt it was super quiet except for about two short times. Weird

Well, PC came out and punched MU in the face in the first half.  There were no MU runs into the start of the 2nd. So, everything is relative I guess but I thought the crowd was good for a weekday break game.  Certainly not why MU lost.  I remember break games at the BC that had bad homily-like crowds and vibes.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2020, 04:30:31 PM »
The PC game did have a good crowd, but it was late-arriving.  I'm sure I'm not the only fan that works till 5:00, and it's not easy to get a few beers in me and get to my seats for a 6:00 tipoff.  Tonight's 8:00 tipoff, however, allows plenty of time for pre-gaming.  Expect the crowd to be louder tonight from the top, even if it is a Tuesday.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2020, 06:03:58 PM »
We are a better team than ST. Johns. We are playing at home. 3-3 teams shouldn't have trap games.

If we are not "out effort-ed", we should win comfortably.