Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ed Morrow....chance to be in something good  (Read 33867 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Ed Morrow....chance to be in something good
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2020, 12:36:57 PM »
I agree I wish Ed were on the team in a role similar to Heldt's...and not to throw dirt on the guy's grave, but the only reason he got that block against the Bagders is because he completely lost Happ on defense to start with and, fortunately, made a frantic recovery.

Somewhere down the line Morrow's absence may cost us a game, but I believe that having Theo and Jayce split the lion's share of the minutes might win us 1 or more games as opposed to a three-way allocation at center.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2020, 04:49:44 PM »
I agree I wish Ed were on the team in a role similar to Heldt's...and not to throw dirt on the guy's grave, but the only reason he got that block against the Bagders is because he completely lost Happ on defense to start with and, fortunately, made a frantic recovery.

Somewhere down the line Morrow's absence may cost us a game, but I believe that having Theo and Jayce split the lion's share of the minutes might win us 1 or more games as opposed to a three-way allocation at center.
You're spot on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2020, 11:25:39 PM »

Not gonna take that block away from Morrow. Theo and other shot-blockers sometimes get blocked shots that way, too. And Morrow did more in that game besides block that shot. Had a huge OR and put-back, too, IIRC. Glad as hell we had him for that game.

You could be right about Morrow's departure being an addition by subtraction thing. I know I thought we were screwed when Jayce picked up #4 with 11-something to go at Georgetown (Theo already had #4), but we managed to win.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2020, 05:27:06 AM »

despite the fact that ed has under performed to the hype and expectations we all had, no need to minimize his performance.  he has worked hard, shut his mouth and represented the school well.  we don't know what's really going on, so to beat on the guy ex post facto is poor form.  regardless of how you think he is needed or not or comes back or not and in what capacity fortunately is not up to you as we see your lack of appreciation for anything he has done so far.  these guys work hard.  i just hope ed figures out where his life can take him and move on.  MU will always be a microcosm of his life experience-hopefully he can rejoin us in some capacity to finish out his collegiate career and make it as positive as possible 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2020, 08:45:16 AM »

It was a great block and many great plays happen as a result of a mess up elsewhere, but a recovery nonetheless.  Signature moment kind of play which requires no dirt thrown at all.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2020, 09:02:06 AM »
Not gonna take that block away from Morrow. Theo and other shot-blockers sometimes get blocked shots that way, too. And Morrow did more in that game besides block that shot. Had a huge OR and put-back, too, IIRC. Glad as hell we had him for that game.

You could be right about Morrow's departure being an addition by subtraction thing. I know I thought we were screwed when Jayce picked up #4 with 11-something to go at Georgetown (Theo already had #4), but we managed to win.
I thought Georgetown was the rare team where any minutes Ed took would hurt rather than help.  I think he would have been over-matched by those Georgetown Cs.  I think there will be other teams we play where he would be a real help.  I think if he played 10 minutes against Georgetown to help with the foul trouble, it could potentially have cost us the game, since it was so close.  But I also think that would be the exception rather than the rule.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »
despite the fact that ed has under performed to the hype and expectations we all had, no need to minimize his performance.  he has worked hard, shut his mouth and represented the school well.  we don't know what's really going on, so to beat on the guy ex post facto is poor form.  regardless of how you think he is needed or not or comes back or not and in what capacity fortunately is not up to you as we see your lack of appreciation for anything he has done so far.  these guys work hard.  i just hope ed figures out where his life can take him and move on.  MU will always be a microcosm of his life experience-hopefully he can rejoin us in some capacity to finish out his collegiate career and make it as positive as possible
Zzzzzzz...you're trying to pick a fight that isn't there.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2020, 11:01:03 AM »
So since we no longer have Ed the question is what do you do when both 5s who are foul prone are in foul trouble like GT.  The only guy I can see putting in there is Cain.  Actually I'm surprised that in the 2nd half against GT Wojo didn't try to steal a few minutes with Cain at the 5 particularly when their freshman center was in.  Its certainly not ideal but I don't see anyone else on the roster.  I'd much rather have Cain playing the 5 for a few minutes in middle of the 2nd half than to have to put him out there at the end of a 1 possession game.  I think they should also be practicing him at the 5 a little to prepare for the situation.  Its likely to happen.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2020, 11:09:05 AM »
I thought Georgetown was the rare team where any minutes Ed took would hurt rather than help.  I think he would have been over-matched by those Georgetown Cs.  I think there will be other teams we play where he would be a real help.  I think if he played 10 minutes against Georgetown to help with the foul trouble, it could potentially have cost us the game, since it was so close.  But I also think that would be the exception rather than the rule.

Glad not to have had to find out vs GT. I do think there might be a game or 3 in which we'll have wished we had a 3rd center -- and that's if Theo and Jayce stay healthy. If either of them get hurt, it could really hurt our chance to have a decent season.

So since we no longer have Ed the question is what do you do when both 5s who are foul prone are in foul trouble like GT.  The only guy I can see putting in there is Cain.  Actually I'm surprised that in the 2nd half against GT Wojo didn't try to steal a few minutes with Cain at the 5 particularly when their freshman center was in.  Its certainly not ideal but I don't see anyone else on the roster.  I'd much rather have Cain playing the 5 for a few minutes in middle of the 2nd half than to have to put him out there at the end of a 1 possession game.  I think they should also be practicing him at the 5 a little to prepare for the situation.  Its likely to happen.

I like to think there is some time in practice devoted to a scenario in which neither Jayce nor Theo is available for a several-minute stretch of a game.

I would think Bailey would be more competent there, as he is a better player in general and seems a little more willing and able to battle with the big guys. But doing so also could lead to him getting into foul trouble, so sure, maybe Cain.

I hope to never have to find out ... but I'd be kind of surprised if there weren't a few games in which we do find out.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2020, 11:10:36 AM »

Glad u thought of that!, our stupid coaches prolly have not even considered it!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2020, 11:11:08 AM »

One of your better Posts, always nice when the Adult in the room comments.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2020, 11:31:33 AM »
Glad u thought of that!, our stupid coaches prolly have not even considered it!!
Well it sure didn't seem like they'd thought of it going into the GT game.  Given the propensity for those refs to call fouls its a miracle both guys didn't foul out

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2020, 11:36:19 AM »
Well, in reality the two centers we have left are both injured to one degree or another.  Theo will need surgery on his hand, andJayce still does not have his elevation back.  Better though.  So we need to hope for the best    Gi Marquette !

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2020, 11:38:53 AM »
Jayce gots hops, hoo new, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2020, 11:46:10 AM »
Well it sure didn't seem like they'd thought of it going into the GT game.  Given the propensity for those refs to call fouls its a miracle both guys didn't foul out

Or maybe they just decided we were better off playing Theo and Jayce, even if it meant having to play a little less aggressively.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2020, 11:48:12 AM »

Sooo dumb!!! 😂😂😂
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2020, 01:06:43 PM »
Glad not to have had to find out vs GT. I do think there might be a game or 3 in which we'll have wished we had a 3rd center -- and that's if Theo and Jayce stay healthy. If either of them get hurt, it could really hurt our chance to have a decent season.
I agree with this, but just don't think the Georgetown game was one of those games because I don't think Morrow could handle those guys.  At least with Cain or something, their C wouldn't have anyone he could guard either.  If Johnson or John are injured, not having Morrow would certainly become a huge problem.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2020, 02:45:07 PM »

Why not Bailey? Seems like he gets a lot of rebounds.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2020, 02:53:54 PM »
Why not Bailey? Seems like he gets a lot of rebounds.

That's what I said, too. Bailey has really impressed me lately with his rebounding ability even when surrounded by opponents.

I would think biggest drawback would be potential of getting another key player in foul trouble. So from that standpoint, might some think Cain would be a better "sacrificial lamb" to try to get a few minutes at center in a pinch? Maybe.

Let's hope it doesn't come down to this ... but it certainly could happen. I like to think our coaching staff has such a contingency plan in place.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2020, 06:06:23 PM »
Both bigs need to play smarter. Theo is still committing the same fouls as he did early in his freshman year. Jayce is just a fouling machine - always was.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2020, 06:23:30 PM »
Both bigs need to play smarter. Theo is still committing the same fouls as he did early in his freshman year. Jayce is just a fouling machine - always was.

Theo as a frosh... 8.5 FC/40... this year... 6.4
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2020, 06:44:35 PM »
ND sucks.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2020, 11:10:26 PM »
Plenty of pictures on the jumbo showing Ed tonight.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2020, 11:18:01 PM »
The door is obviously open.  I don’t get the impression he walks back through it though.  Wish Ed the best. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2020, 11:19:26 PM »
Theo as a frosh... 8.5 FC/40... this year... 6.4

Thank you.

And I didn’t realize Jockey Brand has been following Jayce his entire career, either.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback