Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ed Morrow....chance to be in something good  (Read 33869 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Ed Morrow....chance to be in something good
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2020, 04:58:42 PM »
Ed would have struggled today guarding a pair of 7 foot tall post players.   But better him than Bailey or Cain.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2020, 05:13:32 PM »
How did it show?  Theo and JJ have been great the last two games without ed.  14pts and 12 boards. today, didn't look like they missed him at all frankly

I would rather Ed be on the team but it's true the last two games have pretty much been the best back to back games from the C position we've had this year.  So...coincidence?  Jayce is really coming on strong.  Seems like his knee must be feeling better.  If they could eliminate the head-scratching fouls I would have nothing to complain about from that position the last two games.

Great W today!
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2020, 05:35:47 PM »
Nm

WhoaJoe2020

• All American

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2020, 05:56:38 PM »
If he quit, it's time to move on.  If he walked out on his teammates, we are better off without him.  It's not a coincidence that Jayce is playing much better with more playing time.  Dividing 40 minutes 3 ways, does not allow any of the 3 to get into the flow of the game. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2020, 06:03:06 PM »
We have a better chance of Edward R Murrow lacing em up.

Actually, I have no idea, but I have been wanting to say that name since Ed signed.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2020, 06:31:53 PM »
  sometimes it's best to wait and see-don't put yourself into a "cnn" moment
As opposed to the "fox" moment, where they opine that he quit because he is lazy?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2020, 07:21:03 PM »
Johnson has been thriving in an increased role over the last two games.

"I've been feeling good and the team's feeling good," Johnson said. "We've had some adversity, some bumps in the road. But I think these last few games we've really utilized our self-worth and what we can really do when we put our minds to it."

It felt like a team victory, even with Howard taking 31 shots and scoring half his team's points. That's what MU is looking for as it navigates a tough Big East.

"I think the balance is getting there," Howard said. "And I think the camaraderie overall is getting better and better after each game.

"I know we all have the same mind-set at this point. We're all on the same mission. We're trying to execute our best on a daily basis. We're not trying to look to far in the future."

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2020, 08:16:03 PM »
the 5 extra fouls would have been nice. the potential turnovers he might have had would have frustrated me today though especially in a close one.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2020, 08:32:22 PM »
Johnson has been thriving in an increased role over the last two games.

"I've been feeling good and the team's feeling good," Johnson said. "We've had some adversity, some bumps in the road. But I think these last few games we've really utilized our self-worth and what we can really do when we put our minds to it."

It felt like a team victory, even with Howard taking 31 shots and scoring half his team's points. That's what MU is looking for as it navigates a tough Big East.

"I think the balance is getting there," Howard said. "And I think the camaraderie overall is getting better and better after each game.

"I know we all have the same mind-set at this point. We're all on the same mission. We're trying to execute our best on a daily basis. We're not trying to look to far in the future."

I appreciate Jayce utilizing his self worth to help drive us toward victory.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2020, 08:43:59 PM »
Agreed.....however I’m quite certain Ed is not returning as some here hope.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2020, 08:52:18 PM »
Maybe the fact Ed didn't play any 4 this year had something wrong with it.  Bailey or Cain could of played some 3 splitting time with Sacar. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2020, 09:02:27 PM »
That would have been nice.  But there have not been many situations that called for two bigs.   And Ed is not great on the perimeter on either offense or defense.   And Wojo appears to be sticking with 4-out as his offense.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2020, 11:07:45 PM »
That would have been nice.  But there have not been many situations that called for two bigs.   And Ed is not great on the perimeter on either offense or defense.   And Wojo appears to be sticking with 4-out as his offense.

Sounds about right.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2020, 08:54:28 AM »

Ultimately, it wasn't as much about Ed competing with Theo and Jayce for minutes but Bailey & Cain, and even Sacar to an extent. As a perimeter player, that's tough competition for a guy like Morrow.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2020, 09:54:40 AM »
can't answer the question though? so you would rather have people throwing all of these accusations out there?  don't have any idea of what sheep have to do with this
No, people shouldn't ascribe overly negatives reasons until more is known.  Likewise, sheep shouldn't mindlessly get their two minute hate on for whomever Dear Leader tells them to hate.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2020, 10:28:18 AM »
Agreed.....however I’m quite certain Ed is not returning as some here hope.

Did he get his degree?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2020, 11:00:08 AM »
Ultimately, it wasn't as much about Ed competing with Theo and Jayce for minutes but Bailey & Cain, and even Sacar to an extent. As a perimeter player, that's tough competition for a guy like Morrow.

I don't think so. Ed can't - and never could - play the 4. What do you think Ed could do? Stand behind the 3-point line like Bailey/Cain/Sacar and wait for an open 3?

He couldn't play the 4 on offense and he couldn't play the 4 on defense. He was little more than a fallback for when the bigs got in foul trouble. Great effort, but most often, not so great results.

If he quit on the team because he didn't like his role, good riddance! If it is a personal or medical issue, then I would gladly welcome him back.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2020, 11:09:41 AM »
I don't think so. Ed can't - and never could - play the 4. What do you think Ed could do? Stand behind the 3-point line like Bailey/Cain/Sacar and wait for an open 3?

He couldn't play the 4 on offense and he couldn't play the 4 on defense. He was little more than a fallback for when the bigs got in foul trouble. Great effort, but most often, not so great results.

Which is why he didn't get the minutes he wanted. The 2-big plan would've given Ed a chance at the 4, but he couldn't get past Bailey, Cain, & Anim. I think your disagreement is actually agreement. My point was that he couldn't play the 4 in our system.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2020, 09:08:50 AM »
Does anybody know if Wojo promised Morrow he'd get to play the 4 here?

And by promised, I mean saying just that -- "We definitely will play you at the 4," and not merely, "If you show us over time in practice that you can be one of our better options at the 4, we'll give you a shot there" ... as those are two very different things.

Reason I ask:

If, in recruiting Morrow to transfer to MU and/or convincing Morrow this past offseason to stay at MU, Wojo totally promised Morrow he'd get minutes at the 4, I don't like that Wojo then denied Morrow the chance to play 4.

However, if Wojo only promised Morrow would get a look at the 4 in practice to determine if he was one of our best options at the position, that's more than fair, and I have no problem with that. Those of us who have watched MU play these last two seasons know that Ed has shown he is an undersized 5, not a forward.

If the latter is what Wojo promised and Ed simply heard what he wanted to hear ("We'll let you play 4"), that's not on the coaching staff. They had a chance to get a proven college center in Jayce, they did so, and Jayce beat out Morrow for the majority of minutes behind Theo. Almost everybody who has watched us play this season can see that's exactly what happened.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2020, 10:43:07 AM »
Last time I checked a coach played their best players.  Yes, a judgment call but if a coach didn't follow that rule they would end up being fired.  All a coach can do is offer a player a fair chance.  That subjective issue is why D1 basketball has a 25 to 30-percent transfer rate these days. 

I sure wish Morrow was back with his teammates.  It's his call.  I just think in the long run it would be in his interested to finish things out at the college level because it will make the next steps that much easier down the line.

As far as team chemistry goes the last two games have shown clearer roles and more cohesiveness.  To make things work down the road Morrow would have to accept the role he is asked to play.  There's addition by subtraction and there's the potential of a "team" being even greater than the sum of the individual players.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2020, 10:49:15 AM »
Losing Ed is addition by subtraction.  I wish him well, hope he does well in life, appreciate his time as a warrior et.al. but he's basically 5 fouls and a scout team player.  He's the guy the coach needs to tell everyone else not to pass it to.  As we all go through life honesty and reality occasionally collide creating a change in our lives.  This is Ed's collision.  Get a degree from MU, young man, use your people skills to get a great job, and go make "basketball player money" in the business world. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2020, 10:58:42 AM »
Exactly...and I’m hoping Ed Morrow reconsiders

Barring a miracle, word is Ed is gone.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2020, 11:01:10 AM »
I like Ed.   His block against Happ makes him forever a good guy.    I hope he decides to return.    But he has to understand his role and his limitations.    His game is the similar to Jayce's or Theo's, but he is only 6'7 (ish).    He has not shown the lateral quickness on defense or the perimeter game on offense to play a wing in the 4-out offense.   I wish he had.    It would be great if he could trade time with Brendan at the 4, dribble, drive, hit a jumper.    That would allow Jamal to slide down and play more 3 behind Sacar.   But it hasn't revealed itself yet.   

So, he is fed up and frustrated.    But, the way Theo and Jayce are playing, can anybody make the case he should be getting a lot more regular minutes against the average Big East post player?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2020, 11:13:24 AM »
I like Ed.   His block against Happ makes him forever a good guy.    I hope he decides to return.    But he has to understand his role and his limitations.    His game is the similar to Jayce's or Theo's, but he is only 6'7 (ish).    He has not shown the lateral quickness on defense or the perimeter game on offense to play a wing in the 4-out offense.   I wish he had.    It would be great if he could trade time with Brendan at the 4, dribble, drive, hit a jumper.    That would allow Jamal to slide down and play more 3 behind Sacar.   But it hasn't revealed itself yet.   

So, he is fed up and frustrated.    But, the way Theo and Jayce are playing, can anybody make the case he should be getting a lot more regular minutes against the average Big East post player?

I know of only 2 Scoopers who think Morrow got a raw deal. Maybe there are others, but it's hard to believe anybody can have seen our games so far this last year and a half and come to any conclusions other than these:

1. Morrow cannot play 4 in today's college basketball.

2. Morrow is our third most-effective 5.

That said, I wish he still were on the team for all the reasons most others have stated: We could use the depth, his toughness in spots, his fouls, etc. And, as I've said, I would buy him a beer just for his role in helping us beat Madison last season.

But, as always, I worry about those who want to be Warriors, right here and right now. I don't mean that as an indictment of Ed or anybody else who leaves. Looking forward is simply all we can do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson