[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Georgetown Game  (Read 8017 times)

Ardmore Mug

• All American
Re: Georgetown Game
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2020, 09:08:00 AM »
I think this game will tell a lot about the prospects for rest of season. With the Ed departure several days removed, I am anxious to see how the team responds. A big win could set the tone, as would paying an egg.
I felt anything was possible, good or bad, a week ago and now I think they are at a critical crossroads. If Ed left because he was disappointed in playing time, so be it, but if he left because of a disgruntled locker room things could south. My gut says it is a combination of the two, but time to steady the ship.

I would say they responded quite well, with a 20 pt win!!!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2020, 09:25:06 AM »
On paper, I like how we match up with Georgetown. They check a lot of boxes for us:

1. 7 man rotation that can quickly be decimated by our ability to get to the foul line.

2. Atrocious three point defense. 42.4% of their opponents' field goals are three pointers (305th) and they are making 36% of them (284th). Plays right into our strength.

3. They play uptempo. We are undefeated against top 100 tempo teams this season though with a small sample size.

4. They have accurate three point shooters but barely take any. Only 29.1% of their attempts are from three (330th). Should allow us to keep the bigs home in the paint where they are their most effective.

Georgetown's lineup is interesting. One of their two 7 footers will be on the floor at any given time. Yurtseven is a beast averaging a double double while Wahab has potential but is not much beyond a garden variety backup center. They only have one forward on the roster, 6-9 Jamorko Pickett. He used to be an exclusive spot up shooter but has changed his game to be more of a slashing forward. They'll likely play him max minutes as he is the only true 4 in the rotation.

When Pickett is on the bench, Ewing either has to go with walk on/lukewarm body George Muresan or one of the guards. Muresan has 7 career points in 4 seasons and is shooting 1/8 from the field this season. The guard who will get put at the 4 is 6'3" Jagan Mosely. He's built like Derrick Wilson and plays a lot bigger than he is. The other guards are all 6'3" or 6'2". The best of them is the very punchable Mac McClung. He's a very reckless and inconsistent player. He's capable of burying an opponent or the Hoyas all by himself. Georgetown is 1-4 when McClung shoots under 33% from the the field (with the one win being against Central Arkansas). They are 11-1 when he shoots 33% or above. All of their best wins (@OKST, CUSE, GAST, SJU, CREI, TEX, @SMU) have featured a 19+ point performance from McClung.

If I were the coach, I'd experiment with a couple of Bailey/Cain lineups for this one. I think Cain is capable enough to defend Pickett while Bailey's length could do wonders on McClung. I think 6'2" McClung would really struggle against Bailey's 7'0" wingspan. I'd focus my effort on corralling McClung into a bad game. Yurtseven is consistent and will get his, but he can't bury a team. Other than one outlier against Samford, Yurtseven never goes much above or below his average. I would throw the occassional double team into the post on Yurtseven from different positions just to keep him looking over his shoulder.

The glass could decide this game. Hoyas are elite on the offensive glass (top 25 in the nation). This is how their offense is ranked so highly by KP despite a pedestrian eFG%. Every defender will need to crash the glass and know that the Hoyas are unlikely to make them pay with a kickout for a three pointer. The rebounding effort against X gives me hope for this one.

I like the Bailey/McClung idea...however Koby will shut McClung down, so no worries there. This would be a perfect game to play more zone than they have this year to this point. Like you said GT doesn't like shooting 3's, so force them too.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2020, 09:43:40 AM »
I love the posters "readying" the excuses in case things go wrong. "it's tough to win on the road yada yada yada". Look, if MU can't beat a team that plays 7 guys, plays bad defense and flat out aren't very good, then they have NO business being in the NCAA tournament. It's as simple as that. If they don't beat Georgetown on the road, who will they beat on the road??

If it's tough to win on the road, why do teams do it all the time?? Why in the HELL did Providence walk into MU and win?? Now if this was at Butler, sure, I'd say you have a point, but this ain't Butler.

Your logic is amazing
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2020, 10:40:34 AM »
I love the posters "readying" the excuses in case things go wrong. "it's tough to win on the road yada yada yada". Look, if MU can't beat a team that plays 7 guys, plays bad defense and flat out aren't very good, then they have NO business being in the NCAA tournament. It's as simple as that. If they don't beat Georgetown on the road, who will they beat on the road??

If it's tough to win on the road, why do teams do it all the time?? Why in the HELL did Providence walk into MU and win?? Now if this was at Butler, sure, I'd say you have a point, but this ain't Butler.

I expect a win. I'll be disappointed if they lose because this is one of their 5 best opportunities for a conference road win.

I just think you go overboard with the "zero reason". It's a game that the oddsmakers expect us to lose. It is a Q1 game. It would be a great win if they get it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2020, 11:12:32 AM »
Georgetown has the 21st ranked offense versus MU’s 47th ranked defense. MU’s 37th ranked defense goes against GU’s 101st ranked defense.

It feels like defense determines this match-up. War of Attrition.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2020, 11:36:12 AM »
I expect a win. I'll be disappointed if they lose because this is one of their 5 best opportunities for a conference road win.

I just think you go overboard with the "zero reason". It's a game that the oddsmakers expect us to lose. It is a Q1 game. It would be a great win if they get it.

This says it perfectly.

I want our heroes to win and I think we will. In a few minutes, Mrs. 82 and I will be heading to the arena to cheer our loudest. I will be disappointed if we lose.

But good teams lose. Great teams lose. No. 1-ranked teams lose. Undefeated teams eventually lose. And all that is more likely to happen on the road. I guess one can call those excuses if that's how one thinks. I'm a little crazy, so I call them "facts."

We've got this. See y'all later.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2020, 11:42:38 AM »
On paper, I like how we match up with Georgetown. They check a lot of boxes for us:

1. 7 man rotation that can quickly be decimated by our ability to get to the foul line.

2. Atrocious three point defense. 42.4% of their opponents' field goals are three pointers (305th) and they are making 36% of them (284th). Plays right into our strength.

3. They play uptempo. We are undefeated against top 100 tempo teams this season though with a small sample size.

4. They have accurate three point shooters but barely take any. Only 29.1% of their attempts are from three (330th). Should allow us to keep the bigs home in the paint where they are their most effective.

Georgetown's lineup is interesting. One of their two 7 footers will be on the floor at any given time. Yurtseven is a beast averaging a double double while Wahab has potential but is not much beyond a garden variety backup center. They only have one forward on the roster, 6-9 Jamorko Pickett. He used to be an exclusive spot up shooter but has changed his game to be more of a slashing forward. They'll likely play him max minutes as he is the only true 4 in the rotation.

When Pickett is on the bench, Ewing either has to go with walk on/lukewarm body George Muresan or one of the guards. Muresan has 7 career points in 4 seasons and is shooting 1/8 from the field this season. The guard who will get put at the 4 is 6'3" Jagan Mosely. He's built like Derrick Wilson and plays a lot bigger than he is. The other guards are all 6'3" or 6'2". The best of them is the very punchable Mac McClung. He's a very reckless and inconsistent player. He's capable of burying an opponent or the Hoyas all by himself. Georgetown is 1-4 when McClung shoots under 33% from the the field (with the one win being against Central Arkansas). They are 11-1 when he shoots 33% or above. All of their best wins (@OKST, CUSE, GAST, SJU, CREI, TEX, @SMU) have featured a 19+ point performance from McClung.

If I were the coach, I'd experiment with a couple of Bailey/Cain lineups for this one. I think Cain is capable enough to defend Pickett while Bailey's length could do wonders on McClung. I think 6'2" McClung would really struggle against Bailey's 7'0" wingspan. I'd focus my effort on corralling McClung into a bad game. Yurtseven is consistent and will get his, but he can't bury a team. Other than one outlier against Samford, Yurtseven never goes much above or below his average. I would throw the occassional double team into the post on Yurtseven from different positions just to keep him looking over his shoulder.

The glass could decide this game. Hoyas are elite on the offensive glass (top 25 in the nation). This is how their offense is ranked so highly by KP despite a pedestrian eFG%. Every defender will need to crash the glass and know that the Hoyas are unlikely to make them pay with a kickout for a three pointer. The rebounding effort against X gives me hope for this one.

Do you do this for a living??

If not, you should. Great breakdown.

I agree rebounding is the key, and our two bigs staying out of foul trouble while doing it.

Overall it sounds like Marquette has a lot of answers to the challenges Georgetown presents. You can never discount the road game factor, so a close win wouldn't surprise me, nor would a close loss. A blowout either way would be quite revealing about Marquettes chances for the rest of the season.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2020, 12:03:48 PM »
Do you do this for a living??

If not, you should. Great breakdown.

I agree rebounding is the key, and our two bigs staying out of foul trouble while doing it.

Overall it sounds like Marquette has a lot of answers to the challenges Georgetown presents. You can never discount the road game factor, so a close win wouldn't surprise me, nor would a close loss. A blowout either way would be quite revealing about Marquettes chances for the rest of the season.

Foul trouble contingent on how they call the game. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2020, 12:06:36 PM »
Foul trouble contingent on how they call the game.

Over here for a VC conference.  Taking in the game today.  Yikes, there are some scoopers out here that are not fans of cheeks and his 5000 posts. 

fjm

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2020, 12:15:00 PM »
NO ED, NO GREG.

Gtown is 7 deep.

Welp. We are only 8 deep.

https://twitter.com/bensteelemjs/status/1218596604854312960?s=21

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2020, 12:27:06 PM »
Over here for a VC conference.  Taking in the game today.  Yikes, there are some scoopers out here that are not fans of cheeks and his 5000 posts.

Oh noes.  Guess what, there are scoopers not a fan of you or your constant trashing of Jayce and other MU players that you constantly do. 

Send them my love. 

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2020, 12:32:38 PM »
Oh noes.  Guess what, there are scoopers not a fan of you or your constant trashing of Jayce and other MU players that you constantly do. 

Send them my love.

Nope. I’m liked.    You’re considered an old douche.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2020, 12:39:19 PM »
Nope. I’m liked.    You’re considered an old douche.

You need to read more posts here about people calling you out...but whatever.  Enjoy your conference and I hope you have your anti player tirades ready.....they were so silent after the last game for some odd reason.  LOL

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2020, 12:41:46 PM »
You need to read more posts here about people calling you out...but whatever.  Enjoy your conference and I hope you have your anti player tirades ready.....they were so silent after the last game for some odd reason.  LOL

Lot of hate out here for 55 year olds who post on boards 5000 plus times.  Rumor is you may post so much because you don’t really have a job.  I told everyone I can neither confirm or deny.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2020, 12:46:44 PM »
Lot of hate out here for 55 year olds who post on boards 5000 plus times.  Rumor is you may post so much because you don’t really have a job.  I told everyone I can neither confirm or deny.

Yup, I made my millions already and just sit home laughing at you...and do it all well before the age of 55 as you claim. No job, just sipping my drinks. You nailed it.  LOL

Hope you choose the right investments to throw that VC money at.  Best of luck.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2020, 12:47:21 PM »

I think we win. It would be a good win. Not sure I’d call it a great win. We are a two point dog in Pomeroy. 44% win probability. Basically a coin flip. You’d hope that in Year 6 with likely national player of year we win this game.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2020, 12:48:45 PM »
I think we win. It would be a good win. Not sure I’d call it a great win. We are a two point dog in Pomeroy. 44% win probability. Basically a coin flip. You’d hope that in Year 6 with likely national player of year we win this game.

No, it’s widely recognized you’re a bum with no money.  Who likes chirping at 30 year olds.   Bad look. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2020, 12:49:09 PM »

Wonder why in year 6 Buzz lost so many games.  I wonder why in year 20 or whatever it is, Roy Williams losing so many games...weird.  Or maybe each team is different...nah, that couldn’t be it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2020, 12:50:56 PM »
No, it’s widely recognized you’re a bum with no money.  Who likes chirping at 30 year olds.   Bad look.

Well, all I can say is you continue to be wrong on so many things, especially basketball, that nothing surprises me with your remarks.  Got your anti-Johnson comments ready to go?   Such a “good look” by you when you do it.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2020, 12:51:24 PM »
Give us a break and go get a drink with your new friends. This is tiresome

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2020, 12:54:04 PM »
Give us a break and go get a drink with your new friends. This is tiresome

muguru

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2020, 01:03:08 PM »
Your logic is amazing

You're damn right it is...so let me understand this on record..you are okay with it if they lose today, is that the jist of it?? Eh, they lost to Georgetown, but it was on the road, so no big deal...is that correct??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2020, 01:13:00 PM »
Wonder why in year 6 Buzz lost so many games.  I wonder why in year 20 or whatever it is, Roy Williams losing so many games...weird.  Or maybe each team is different...nah, that couldn’t be it.

Truly is unfortunate how a former member of the MU Athletic Department has such low expectations for our current coach and our program’s capabilities.  Disappointed in you Jams.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2020, 01:25:31 PM »
You're damn right it is...so let me understand this on record..you are okay with it if they lose today, is that the jist of it?? Eh, they lost to Georgetown, but it was on the road, so no big deal...is that correct??

Am I ok with it?  What does this mean?  If we lose will I lose my mind on a message board, yell at my beautiful wife, kick my dog?  No.

I think we have a decent shot to win the game, they have played very well and it will not be easy.  It is a 50-50 game at best. Road games are very hard, so hopefully that answered the question for you.

I find your logic on how you think it is a no brained we should win to be lacking.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2020, 01:29:45 PM »
Truly is unfortunate how a former member of the MU Athletic Department has such low expectations for our current coach and our program’s capabilities.  Disappointed in you Jams.

I have higher expectations than you do.  I think we can win and win a lot while also being ethical....