[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ed Morrow  (Read 67036 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Ed Morrow
« Reply #375 on: January 17, 2020, 02:24:11 PM »
It will be really fun to revisit this thread if it does turn out to be manageable and Ed returns.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #376 on: January 17, 2020, 02:25:33 PM »
Im sorry, but I guess Im too old for these guys..... I was taught to Never quit....There is ALWAYS someone who plays better and more talented than you!!!  You have to Work more and harder at it to get and be  better... I guess i can see what Wojo mindset might be.... As the story goes, Wojo was told by Coach K, ( i think it was after Soph year)  that he wasn't good enuf, and he would not be starting the following season... He didn't get pissed off and quit......Wojo went and dedicated himself and worked hard and got better.... He started the next season and became AA  and Def player of the year.. SO, I think Wojo is blunt and tells the players where they stand...  Some couldn't take the message and leave.. Too bad for them.   I want players here who want to play for MU...  Real Warriors ! ! !   Matt Heldt is the perfect example.. Sorry for the long diatribe... I know I will get roasted by some, but this is Just an Old Fan's  opinion... 8-)

Old men rules....exactly.

The world has changed....unfortunately.  Remember these kids these days (yup, old man talking) are used to bouncing around way more than we did.  My dad would have killed me if I quit...ever.  Finish what you started.  I see kids now quitting high school teams, transfers to other high schools, quitting AAU teams, etc.  Whole new mentality these days. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #377 on: January 17, 2020, 02:29:25 PM »
Err, well, he said Wojo should play zone to "hide the bigs" and "should have played it against X". So never mind that MU won by 20, Theo and Jayce both had really good games, and MU dominated the boards...Wojo should have played zone.   ::)

For five minutes.  And it generally makes sense when down to two bigs who are in foul trouble.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #378 on: January 17, 2020, 02:34:27 PM »
For five minutes.  And it generally makes sense when down to two bigs who are in foul trouble.

It WILL happen if/when Theo and Jayce both get in early foul trouble. With Ed gone there aren't many other options.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #379 on: January 17, 2020, 02:36:52 PM »
It will be really fun to revisit this thread if it does turn out to be manageable and Ed returns.

Depends what the circumstances of his departure were. Right now no one knows the full story. Sound familiar?

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #380 on: January 17, 2020, 02:40:02 PM »
All my opinion ...

It is fair to wonder how good Wojo is at managing egos, which is a major part of any coach's job. If he was great at it, one of the best, could Hausershima have been avoided, a couple of other transfers not happened, etc? We'll never know, but I'll say it's at least a maybe. He's a P6 head coach, he makes big bucks, and he has experience at a program where talented players were recruited over all the time and where egos were very large. So while I don't think it's fair to place all the blame on him -- especially when we don't know all the circumstances -- I do think it's fair to say it's not been one of his strengths, and because of that we might have lost some players we shouldn't have.

As for the Morrow situation itself ...

This never would have happened had Wojo simply not signed Jayce. Maybe there are a few Scoopers who think that's the way things should have gone. The Theo/Ed combo was good enough for us to have a 23-4 start to last season, and they certainly weren't primarily to blame for the collapse down the stretch. Maybe Wojo should have left well enough alone. That's reasonable.

I, for one, was glad he signed Jayce. I thought it was important to improve our depth at the 5 if he had the chance to do so. And as it turns out, Jayce has been a better player than Morrow for this team.

Now, did Wojo promise Morrow something when he signed Jayce? To keep Morrow from transferring before the season, when Morrow actually could have latched on elsewhere, did Wojo promise him 10 mpg at the 4, as well as time at the 5? If so, that would have been bad form. However, absent any evidence of that, I don't think it's fair to Wojo to imply that was the case. If Morrow had come to me after I signed Jayce and asked me what it meant for him, I'd have said, "We wanted to improve our depth, and we're never going to pass on a good player who wants to come to Marquette. We still value you and consider you a fine college player. But as always, playing time will depend on matchups, on who is playing best in a given game, foul trouble, etc." I like to think that's the kind of answer Wojo gave if Ed inquired.

So for me, the bottom line is that Wojo either should have or shouldn't have brought on Jayce. I'm glad he did.

I know there is at least one Scooper who thinks Ed was the best of them all, that he should have been starting over Theo all along and getting the majority of minutes at the 5. Given what we have seen from both players -- at their best and at their worst -- I respectfully but strongly disagree with that assessment.

I also disagree with those who contend that Ed rarely was given enough playing time to get in rhythm. There are plenty of reasons to criticize Wojo, but I don't believe the way he has allocated minutes to the 5 position is one of them.

I actually respect Ed walking away, assuming that's what he has done. Much better to do that than stick around and let team chemistry blow up. We saw how that played last season.

Finally, I was a bit snarky about it earlier, so I'll rephrase it: Wojo has landed a decent number of good to very good recruits, including a top-10 class just this year. Each of those recruits has cited the camaraderie, the cohesion, the "family atmosphere" (whatever terms one uses) of Wojo's program as a main reason he chose Marquette.

If the atmosphere were toxic, wouldn't a recruit sense that? If you were a current unhappy Warrior -- especially a senior, who would have no reason to hold back the truth -- wouldn't you pull aside a recruit and say, "Maybe you should think about going somewhere else, kid"? If Wojo and his assistants truly were horrible ego managers, wouldn't they have difficulty convincing big-ego high school prospects and transfers to attend MU in the first place?

By most accounts, several MU players were thinking about transferring after last season. Aside from the Hausers, none did. If they truly hated Wojo, why would they have stayed?

Every year, the NCAA sets a new record for college basketball transfers. IIRC, TAMU has cited reports showing that most of them are kids who get recruited over and decide to move down a level. That's been the case with the vast majority of Wojo's transfers.

I wish we would never lose a really talented player. I wish we didn't lose Blankson and Mason and Newbill and Mbakwe and Maymon and McKay and the Hausers and Burton. For that matter, I wish we didn't lose Christopherson and Cheatham and Carter. But that's life in 21st century college sports, my friends.

I agree with you on the reference to Duke but Duke does have a big advantage in one area.  If there is an ego issue, the coaches can look a kid in the eye and say something to the effect of, "You sure you want to leave and blow a shot at a National Championship?"  For Duke, that is a credible sentence almost every season.  We do not have that luxury.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #381 on: January 17, 2020, 02:51:50 PM »
It is very possible that Wojo's sales pitch doesn't live up to the experience for everyone once they get to Milwaukee. Is the difference in 5-8 minutes per game big enough for a guy to walk away from his college basketball career? Or could something else be going on in the relationship between player and coach? Is it possible that the Wojo the players get behind closed doors is different than the guy who sat on their living room couch and promised mom he'd take good care of the player? Maybe he's not the smiling Duke-molded Stepford coach we get at alumni events and in interviews.

It's also highly likely that 20-ish year olds that have always been at the top of the totem pole struggle dealing with the adversity that comes at this level of basketball. I absolutely get that.  There's just been a lot of smoke with this fire during his tenure, and it has now been a significant storyline for the last 9 months.

The whole "it's fine to lose talented players because if they don't want to be here, we don't want them here" thought process seems naive to me. It's certainly one way to cope with a break up, but it's not completely honest.

This is an absolutely phenomenal post.  Phenomenal.

To be fair, I think the first part that I bolded is nearly every high-level D1 coach.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #382 on: January 17, 2020, 03:31:08 PM »

Agree
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #383 on: January 17, 2020, 03:38:31 PM »
This is an absolutely phenomenal post.  Phenomenal.

To be fair, I think the first part that I bolded is nearly every high-level D1 coach.
Which is only natural because the feedback they get from a coach after playing for him for a while is obviously going to be different than the feedback they get from him before that.

This isn't a problem and it isn't a weakness...it's reality.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #384 on: January 17, 2020, 03:53:02 PM »

Eye give dat zero% chance of happenin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #385 on: January 17, 2020, 03:59:05 PM »
Whatever the reason behind Ed leaving the team -- apparently just hours before the Xavier game -- Marquette came out and played its best 40 minutes of basketball this season and beat a conference foe by 20. Not exactly a sign of a team suffering from poor leadership.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #386 on: January 17, 2020, 04:05:27 PM »

Eye give dat zero% chance of happenin', hey?

About the same chance as you posting something coherent, hey?

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #387 on: January 17, 2020, 04:11:09 PM »
Whatever the reason behind Ed leaving the team -- apparently just hours before the Xavier game -- Marquette came out and played its best 40 minutes of basketball this season and beat a conference foe by 20. Not exactly a sign of a team suffering from poor leadership.

That IS something to consider.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #388 on: January 17, 2020, 04:25:10 PM »
On the flipside, our bigs are generally not very good at kicking the ball back out if they don't have a good look. Once the ball gets into the paint, it stays there. I think our big guys force too many shots just because they're close to the hoop. Especially for a group that is more defense-focused than offense-focused, I'd like to see them get the ball back out to scorers more often.
Exactly how I feel. They should only be shooting, if they have the potential to dunk it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #389 on: January 17, 2020, 04:34:48 PM »
UPDATE: One of my all-time best MU buddies has a son that goes to MU now and knows many of the players. So here's the true story...he said the word all over campus is that Morrow quit the team because of the coaches and won't be coming back. No teal here - that is the inside scoop. He bailed out on the rest of the season and the potential to play in the tournament just to get away from WoJo. And that comes after wanting to transfer here so bad he sat out for a year.

So think about that...Morrow is a 5th year senior with no chance of transferring anywhere now. And yet he quit the team and gave up on any chance of playing in the tournament in his last season simply because he couldn't stand another minute of playing for WoJo. I think that's what we were all afraid of but were hoping wasn't the case. So now the reality is that 25% of last year's scholarship players walked away from a team that was projected to be in the top 5 this year solely for the reason that they didn't like playing for WoJo. 

Don't shoot the messenger here - I'm just telling you what I heard from a very reliable current student on campus.

Discuss...

(p.s. - for the record I'm a WoJo supporter)
When he came here he was expecting to play forward and not center. Part of the reason he left Nebraska was he did not want to play center. This year he was promise to be given the opportunity to play power forward and worked on his outside shot all summer long. I could see him being upset with Wojo, if he felt Wojo ddi not keep his promise about playing forward. However, is there anyone here that thinks Morrow should be playing forward over Bailey and Cain? He simply does not have the skills to play forward.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #390 on: January 17, 2020, 04:40:47 PM »
Exactly how I feel. They should only be shooting, if they have the potential to dunk it.

You've gotta love dunks. No more efficient shot than that. But they're not the only high-percentage look for Theo or Jayce. Against Xavier, those two combined to go 5 for 10 (50%) inside the arc with 3 assists and no turnovers. I have zero issues with their decisions on the offensive end.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #391 on: January 17, 2020, 04:42:58 PM »

I thought in the X game both Theo, and Jayce showed good decision making in regards to taking the shot or kicking it out. I actually liked the aggressiveness  in putting the ball back up underneath the hoop. Dunks would be nice but put backs or drawing a foul are nice outcomes also.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #392 on: January 17, 2020, 04:57:54 PM »
Woj has to get better evaluating talent and be discriminating (can you say this word here?) with his scholarships. It does him no good to build internal team friction and animosity, particularly since it is obvious Woj is either incapable or unwilling to handle team disharmony. Poor strategy to get in bed with your superstar at the expense of other team members, hey?
In my opinion some of the problem comes from having to play freshmen more than they should have. Haanif played a lot as a freshmen, but saw his time decreasing after that. Same with Duane Wilson and the forward that transferred to UW Green Bay. Cain's playing time fell as a sophomore and maybe he would not of stayed if the Hauser's stayed.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #393 on: January 17, 2020, 05:15:42 PM »
Folks,

How about taking a break from the 16+ pages of MU fan(gst) over the EM issue?  Instead, here's a nice piece from today's San Diego Union-Tribune.  Enjoy!
bu
p.s. Be sure to click on the second image in the article.

http://enewspaper.sandiegouniontribune.com/infinity/article_share.aspx?guid=b2f0a6d5-68fc-4a38-a933-3aa7b53eb568
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #394 on: January 17, 2020, 05:53:25 PM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #395 on: January 17, 2020, 05:55:02 PM »
In my opinion some of the problem comes from having to play freshmen more than they should have. Haanif played a lot as a freshmen, but saw his time decreasing after that. Same with Duane Wilson and the forward that transferred to UW Green Bay. Cain's playing time fell as a sophomore and maybe he would not of stayed if the Hauser's stayed.
This is a natural evolution from Wojo as a new unproven head coach to becoming an established coach. He’s pulling in better and better recruits the longer he’s here and that’s going to lead to roster churn. It’s a good thing.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #396 on: January 17, 2020, 05:57:54 PM »
Folks,

How about taking a break from the 16+ pages of MU fan(gst) over the EM issue?  Instead, here's a nice piece from today's San Diego Union-Tribune.  Enjoy!
bu
p.s. Be sure to click on the second image in the article.

http://enewspaper.sandiegouniontribune.com/infinity/article_share.aspx?guid=b2f0a6d5-68fc-4a38-a933-3aa7b53eb568

Im Sorry, but this is a Marquette Hoops site.. This thread is about a MU player..   Your article can go on the SUPERBAR ! ! !

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #397 on: January 17, 2020, 06:01:25 PM »
This is a natural evolution from Wojo as a new unproven head coach to becoming an established coach. He’s pulling in better and better recruits the longer he’s here and that’s going to lead to roster churn. It’s a good thing.

Sounds like a problem Coach Cal would have.

Wait a minute.........
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 06:04:23 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #398 on: January 17, 2020, 06:06:05 PM »
Mr. G,
Check out the second half of the article and the second photo.  Better yet, go to the "Why I'm a Marquette basketball fan"  for a live-action video about the same player visit.

wildbill

p.s. Hats off to Chick on her great video find.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #399 on: January 17, 2020, 06:17:56 PM »
About the same chance as you posting something coherent, hey?

Ewe obviously haveant bin readin' all my stuff lately, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"