Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ed Morrow  (Read 67021 times)

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
Re: Ed Morrow
« Reply #325 on: January 17, 2020, 11:56:13 AM »
On strictly pragmatic terms Morrow would be well served to tough it out.  It's not all about playing time.  Long after his time on the court, it would be helpful to have that strong connection to the Marquette community.  The world is about networking and burning bridges may feel good for the moment but in the long run it's self-destructive.  My advice to any athlete in a comparable situation -- put on you big boy pants -- go to class, practice and keep developing your game.  Take full advantage of the academic support team, eat those free meals and snacks and figure out life when your eligibility is over.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #326 on: January 17, 2020, 12:03:16 PM »
On strictly pragmatic terms Morrow would be well served to tough it out.  It's not all about playing time.  Long after his time on the court, it would be helpful to have that strong connection to the Marquette community.  The world is about networking and burning bridges may feel good for the moment but in the long run it's self-destructive.  My advice to any athlete in a comparable situation -- put on you big boy pants -- go to class, practice and keep developing your game.  Take full advantage of the academic support team, eat those free meals and snacks and figure out life when your eligibility is over.

This is what makes me a bit sad about Ed & Sam for that matter.  Their tie to the MU fraternity is forever changed and that just sucks.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #327 on: January 17, 2020, 12:10:03 PM »
This is what makes me a bit sad about Ed & Sam for that matter.  Their tie to the MU fraternity is forever changed and that just sucks.

Especially for Sam. Barring an unforgettable season from him at Virginia he's going to be forgotten from VA and a disappointment to MU.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #328 on: January 17, 2020, 12:14:04 PM »
The Hausers played the same position. They were also brothers. Those are some odd circumstances to start. Joey wanted to be "the man" and sam showed solidarity. We may never get the whole story, but that was just a weird situation overall. Ed...thats a role player mad with his role and par for the course. Wojos job isnt to keep everyone happy, it's to put the best team on the court.

The situations may be more similar than people think. With Brendan showing signs of his potential on both offense and defense and with Koby slotted in to start at guard, Joey was looking at losing his starting gig and minutes. Kinda like Jayce coming in and reducing Eds role. The difference is the Hausers had a heads up with Koby already at Marquette. Ed may have been a bit blindsided by Jayce transferring in and taking some of Eds minutes. Timing may have been the only difference.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #329 on: January 17, 2020, 12:18:18 PM »
The situations may be more similar than people think. With Brendan showing signs of his potential on both offense and defense and with Koby slotted in to start at guard, Joey was looking at losing his starting gig and minutes. Kinda like Jayce coming in and reducing Eds role. The difference is the Hausers had a heads up with Koby already at Marquette. Ed may have been a bit blindsided by Jayce transferring in and taking some of Eds minutes. Timing may have been the only difference.

I kind of doubt Joey was concerned about Koby.  I think Joey wanted to be the dude, and that is what Joey was concerned about. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #330 on: January 17, 2020, 12:26:55 PM »
Joey was never going to lose his starting gig/minutes.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #331 on: January 17, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »
I think part of Ed staying was the idea of the two big lineup that never really came to fruition, partially due to Jayce's injury, but moreso due to the changing aspect of the game simply making it a non-reality in the Big East.

Not everyone has the wherewithal to fill the Matt Heldt role, and it seems Ed is in that boat.
IIRC, part of the reason given for Ed leaving Nebraska is that he didn't exclusively want to play the 5.  However--and I said this over the summer when the two-big line up with Ed at the 4 was floating around--there didn't seem to be a single piece of evidence that Ed could play the 4 either offensively or defensively. He simply can't shoot outside of 3 feet and he gets lost when asked to guard in space.

Ed brought a great motor, intimidating presence, and fought hard for rebounds, but the idea that he could ever be an adequate 4 in the BE was the pipiest of pipe dreams.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #332 on: January 17, 2020, 12:31:41 PM »
IIRC, part of the reason given for Ed leaving Nebraska is that he didn't exclusively want to play the 5.  However--and I said this over the summer when the two-big line up with Ed at the 4 was floating around--there didn't seem to be a single piece of evidence that Ed could play the 4 either offensively or defensively. He simply can't shoot outside of 3 feet and he gets lost when asked to guard in space.

Ed brought a great motor, intimidating presence, and fought hard for rebounds, but the idea that he could ever be an adequate 4 in the BE was the pipiest of pipe dreams.

Exactly. The people with eyes knew Ed couldn't play the '4' - on either end.

The dreamers thought he could.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #333 on: January 17, 2020, 12:36:12 PM »
Joey was never going to lose his starting gig/minutes.

If Koby started alongside Markus someone would have had to sit. Who would it have been?  Sam? Sacar?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #334 on: January 17, 2020, 12:38:20 PM »
If Koby started alongside Markus someone would have had to sit. Who would it have been?  Sam? Sacar?

Wasn't it said that players were gonna transfer if Sam and Joey stayed? I took that as Sacar and/or Brendan at least since they'd have been most effected by that.
Maigh Eo for Sam

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #335 on: January 17, 2020, 12:38:26 PM »

What makes you think Koby would have started if Sam and Joey were still here? It doesn't make any sense. The person sitting this year with the Hausers still here would be Koby.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #336 on: January 17, 2020, 12:38:54 PM »
Sacar and Bailey
pretty simple really
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #337 on: January 17, 2020, 12:39:48 PM »
What makes you think Koby would have started if Sam and Joey were still here? It doesn't make any sense. The person sitting this year with the Hausers still here would be Koby.

And Sacar would have been gone if the Hausers returned. Maybe Bailey too.

There is no situation where we get to run it back with all our players from last year.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #338 on: January 17, 2020, 12:41:16 PM »
I think Joey wanted to be the dude, and that is what Joey was concerned about.

And rightfully so, being that he was one of the highest ranked recruits in his class.  It was just never going to happen at Marquette while Markus was on the team.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #339 on: January 17, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »
And rightfully so, being that he was one of the highest ranked recruits in his class.  It was just never going to happen at Marquette while Markus was on the team.

He was one of the highest ranked before he broke his foot I believe he fell to the 40s after that. And a recruit ranked in the 40s should probably take a chill pill about wanting to be the man.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #340 on: January 17, 2020, 12:46:35 PM »

Joey was ranked around the low 40s.  Before his injury he was in the 30s.

The idea that he should be "the dude" when he wasn't even better than his brother is a bit laughable.  Don't get me wrong.  He's going to be a good player, but he was very properly the third option last year.

EDIT:  Joey should have just gone to MSU to begin with.  IMO Sam would still be here and all would be well. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #341 on: January 17, 2020, 12:48:02 PM »

Joey's day would have come.  Likely in his junior season in 20-21, after getting clear start minutes as a sophomore.  Instead, he sat for a full year, and he'll be battling for minutes at MSU next season.  I love Sam and wish him nothing but the best.  I hope Joey gets buried in the depth chart at MSU and gets his waiver denied. 

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #342 on: January 17, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »
Sacar and Bailey
pretty simple really

Yeah, that was pretty simple.

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #343 on: January 17, 2020, 12:57:32 PM »
By the end of last year I thought Bailey should have played more than Joey, specifically due to Joey's lack of athleticism and poor defense. This year, it seems pretty clear to me Bailey is better. Joey is a better shooter, and maybe passer. But overall Bailey is better.

Given that, it was never going to be the case that we had both. One was going to emerge and the other transfer. It's the way it is now in college.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #344 on: January 17, 2020, 12:58:12 PM »
And Sacar would have been gone if the Hausers returned. Maybe Bailey too.

There is no situation where we get to run it back with all our players from last year.

Were Sacar and Brendan the guys that wanted out if the Hausers stayed? I didn't think that ever really came out.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #345 on: January 17, 2020, 01:03:40 PM »
Were Sacar and Brendan the guys that wanted out if the Hausers stayed? I didn't think that ever really came out.

Sacar seems pretty obvious.  He was eligible to grad transfer.  Brendan would be the guy that makes the most sense beyond him just simply by process of elimination / common sense. 

None of this really matters.  We are where we are and we have the guys we have. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #346 on: January 17, 2020, 01:04:41 PM »
And rightfully so, being that he was one of the highest ranked recruits in his class. It was just never going to happen at Marquette while Markus was on the team.
What?  This is wrong on many levels.  Joey was ranked in the 40's, hardly a level where he should come in expecting to be the man.  He was coming off a significant injury.  He was in his first year of college basketball and often badly overmatched athletically.  What about all of that makes you think he was rightfully upset about not being the man?  I'm very curious.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #347 on: January 17, 2020, 01:07:58 PM »
Ed still listed on Marquette's roster on gomarquette.com.  Based on that, Wojo's comments and the brief tweet before the X game, one would think the door is open for Ed to come back. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #348 on: January 17, 2020, 01:09:04 PM »
Joey was ranked around the low 40s.  Before his injury he was in the 30s.

The idea that he should be "the dude" when he wasn't even better than his brother is a bit laughable.  Don't get me wrong.  He's going to be a good player, but he was very properly the third option last year.

EDIT:  Joey should have just gone to MSU to begin with.  IMO Sam would still be here and all would be well.

And not only did he come to MU, he enrolled early, losing out on half of his senior year of HS.  It's amazing to me that no one in the camp; Wojo, Stan, Sam or Mom & Dad realized this was a bad idea.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #349 on: January 17, 2020, 01:09:10 PM »

I think he would have started because of his defense and to have a second true guard on the floor with Markus. I also think this years Brendan would have given Joey a run for his money. Sacar has more than earned a starting role.

Last years team was one solid guard away from being really good. This years team has some options with Koby and Symir starting to find their groove.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 01:12:53 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

feedback