[Today at 10:54:04 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The 2 coaches that would get MU to next level  (Read 10187 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: The 2 coaches that would get MU to next level
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2020, 10:46:08 PM »
+1

This.  The players seem like they would run through a wall for him.   

Keep in mind that Stan isn't merely an assistant coach, he's associate head coach.  Wojo leaves, promote Stan to full head coach.  If he can show that he can keep the class in place, he gets two years to see what he can do. 

Then what happens?  Dick Strong comes back.  Money flows in. The Wisconsin recruiting bridges that Wojo set on fire (e.g., Wally, Hausers, SwaggyDu) suddenly dissipate.  Chicagoland recruiting opens up because Stan is not chummy with Collins.  Sweet sixteens are won.  I can see it now. 

(To play my own devil's advocate, maybe the players gravitate toward Stan because Wojo is so demotivating, i.e., there's a good cop/bad cop thing going on.)

Why would strong come back if Stan was promoted? Just because Wojo is gone and he didn't want wojo?

Is there a current money problem within the program?

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2020, 11:01:31 PM »
Slick Rick Pitino!?!?! Was that really the suggestion???

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2020, 11:12:30 PM »
What about the previous suggestion of Hologram Al?

We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better. Stronger. Smarter.

This initiative should be the sole focus of the colleges of engineering and sports medicine.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2020, 12:08:10 AM »
What if someone were, say, an assistant coach for 15 years?

You got me. Drew Bledsoe did it up as head coach of the Summit High School football team. Go Storm.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:05:51 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2020, 09:45:45 AM »
+1

Keep in mind that Stan isn't merely an assistant coach, he's associate head coach.  Wojo leaves, promote Stan to full head coach.  If he can show that he can keep the class in place, he gets two years to see what he can do. 

Then what happens?  Dick Strong comes back.  Money flows in.  The Wisconsin recruiting bridges that Wojo set on fire (e.g., Wally, Hausers, SwaggyDu) suddenly dissipate.  Chicagoland recruiting opens up because Stan is not chummy with Collins.  Sweet sixteens are won.  I can see it now. 

(To play my own devil's advocate, maybe the players gravitate toward Stan because Wojo is so demotivating, i.e., there's a good cop/bad cop thing going on.)

So now saving the class matters?  Wish some of you all would make up your minds.

Are you seriously saying Wojo is not recruiting Chicago because of Collins?  Are you seriously saying this? 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2020, 10:10:48 AM »
This morning, new Marquette head coach Holo Al McGuire began working with the team at the practice center named in his honor. Before the end of the first drill, impatient fans called for him to be fired.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2020, 10:13:55 AM »
Unless a ton of money is thrown at him, why would a coach leave Arkansas to go to a Big East school?
Better conference.
A school that basketball is #1, not a distant second to football in the fans eyes.

Granted, I don't think a coach would take less money to come to the Big East, but I don't think a BE coach would take less money to go to Arkansas.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2020, 10:19:45 AM »
Better conference.
A school that basketball is #1, not a distant second to football in the fans eyes.

Granted, I don't think a coach would take less money to come to the Big East, but I don't think a BE coach would take less money to go to Arkansas.

Maybe. Our history suggests otherwise, but maybe things have changed enough.

Arkansas won 2 NCAA titles a lot more recently than we won 1, but both were a bazillion years ago.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2020, 10:29:08 AM »
As a private Jesuit institution, Marquette isn't for everyone. Head coaches included. MU takes its mission -- promoting knowledge, faith, leadership and service -- seriously. The basketball program is no exception. "Win Every Day" goes far beyond the court, reinforcing the guiding values of the university. It's a very different environment from the big public schools, one with a unique focus.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2020, 11:08:11 AM »

Arkansas won 2 NCAA titles a lot more recently than we won 1, but both were a bazillion years ago.

Marquette couldn't steal a coach from Xavier or Washington State in 2008, or VCU in 2014, but now we're going to pull one from a historically solid SEC program.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:10:40 AM by Pakuni »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2020, 11:15:45 AM »
Am I the only one that would be concerned that Musselman hasn't spent more than 4 years at one job since the mid 1990s?  A lot of people are complaining about the lack of sustained success, and IMO hiring a career journeyman is not the best way to achieve that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2020, 11:18:37 AM »
Am I the only one that would be concerned that Musselman hasn't spent more than 4 years at one job since the mid 1990s?  A lot of people are complaining about the lack of sustained success, and IMO hiring a career journeyman is not the best way to achieve that.

His dad was the same way.

Hyper-Intense guys who obviously know how to coach basketball, and they can make a quick impression. But either their players start tuning them out or they burn out, or both.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2020, 11:29:11 AM »

Sounds a lot like Larry Brown. Over the course of 40+ years, he coached 13 different college, ABA and NBA teams.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2020, 11:43:41 AM »

Arkansas only has the one title, and one runner-up. Both were accomplished more recently than ours, of course.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2020, 01:53:55 PM »

The comment I responded to was about a coach leaving Arkansas for the Big East, not MU specifically.

Look, I'm not saying it is likely an Arkansas coach would go to a Big East program just like I don't find it likely that a Big East coach would take the Arkansas job.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2020, 02:22:40 PM »
+1

Then what happens?  Dick Strong comes back.  Money flows in.  The Wisconsin recruiting bridges that Wojo set on fire (e.g., Wally, Hausers, SwaggyDu) suddenly dissipate.  Chicagoland recruiting opens up because Stan is not chummy with Collins.  Sweet sixteens are won.  I can see it now. 

if that's the case why aren't they doing it now?

And yeah, Northwestern is really kicking our ass in Chicago recruiting.  ::)
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2020, 07:53:08 PM »
I'd promote Stan
A box of rocks would have 10 IQ points on Stan.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2020, 08:31:00 PM »

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2020, 08:42:55 PM »

Bad take.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2020, 09:47:32 PM »

What does this stoopid dribble even mean?

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2020, 11:21:24 AM »
Everyone knows what the BOT wants.  Are you saying that you want a program that cheats?  that seems to be your implication.

These guys/gals don't want to get caught cheating. 

The world of big time college sports must be a real cesspool.   I was upset with the BOT, I've adjusted my thinking.  I now accept the new normal. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2020, 02:11:12 PM »
These guys/gals don't want to get caught cheating. 

The world of big time college sports must be a real cesspool.   I was upset with the BOT, I've adjusted my thinking.  I now accept the new normal.

There are plenty of schools doing it right with success.  MU included.  Others are doing it right with even more success, that’s where I want to get to.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2020, 02:29:08 PM »

Arkansas basketball is a case study that supports why that are so much angst about Wojo performance.

Arkansas had a phenomenal program for a 25 year stretch of Eddie Sutton/Nolan Richardson. It then become a program similar to where MU is now. The longer a program stays at the lesser level, the more it becomes defined by that level.   Arkansas literally stayed at the Wojo level for 25 years straight and now no one thinks of them as any thing but that.

Arkansas is part of SEC football so they can absorb the body blow. MU does not have football and thus can not tolerate an extended period of non elite performance.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2020, 03:45:59 PM »
Eddie had Federal Express issues he couldn't get past...

feedback