Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 5th win over top 15 ranked teams in last one+ seasons?  (Read 13347 times)

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
Re: 5th win over top 15 ranked teams in last one+ seasons?
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2020, 10:51:34 AM »
How was Al McGuire’s career 5 years in at Belmont Abbey?  What you see is what you get?

Jay Wright, Coach K, Al...I'm not banking on outliers, but feel free.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »
I could be wrong on this but isn't that very close to Mike Deane's record when he got axed?
If Wojo ever publicly attempts to lower MU's aspirations to a level comparable to what Deane did, he should also be fired.

This has been discussed many time before on this board, but Deane had low aspirations for Marquette and absolutely no energy for recruiting, something not even Wojo's harshest critics would say of him.  I think Deane was actually a better bench coach than O'Neill, but he was on a sinking path of his own making, and he was OK with that.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2020, 11:00:11 AM »
Jay Wright, Coach K, Al...I'm not banking on outliers, but feel free.

I just think stating what you see is what you get after 5 years is not dealing with human nature or the ability to grow as a person, coach, etc.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2020, 11:05:21 AM »
I just think stating what you see is what you get after 5 years is not dealing with human nature or the ability to grow as a person, coach, etc.

Sure, but I think you're the guy who said 5 years to judge, so I don't get why it's suddenly unfair of me to do so.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2020, 10:00:34 AM »

What are:  Things a marriage counselor would say Alex

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2020, 10:14:53 AM »
If Wojo ever publicly attempts to lower MU's aspirations to a level comparable to what Deane did, he should also be fired.

This has been discussed many time before on this board, but Deane had low aspirations for Marquette and absolutely no energy for recruiting, something not even Wojo's harshest critics would say of him.  I think Deane was actually a better bench coach than O'Neill, but he was on a sinking path of his own making, and he was OK with that.
This is completely correct.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2020, 10:26:16 AM »
This is completely correct.

It's not.  Deane started the recruiting process of Dwayne Wade.  He was fired and Tom Crean kept on him. 

dinger

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2020, 10:28:21 AM »
It's not.  Deane started the recruiting process of Dwayne Wade.  He was fired and Tom Crean kept on him.

Dwyane

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2020, 11:40:09 AM »
I'm sure he started the recruiting process on a lot of good players.  He just didn't do what was necessary to land them.  I think he may very well have been our best sideline coach since Al, but he didn't bring in players.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2020, 03:34:12 PM »

Deane wouldn't have kept recruiting Wade once he found out he'd be a partial qualifier nor would he have been able to close on him if he had.  After Alton Mason, he was extremely skittish of recruiting guys he saw at academically risky. Plus, it was Crean's persistence in getting Wade in front of Father Wild that got O'Hara Hall to bend and accept a partial qualifier.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2020, 03:45:53 PM »
Deane had just gone .500, had a recruiting class of Krunti Hester coming in, and had said publicly that MU should be content with the NIT mixed with the occasional NCAA bid.   But, yes, thanks to a lot of KO's recruits, along with Hutchins and Wardle and the ability to win 46-44 games, Deane won 100 games.

Hutch was a KO recruit. That class wasn't very good otherwise with McCall (kicked out for two failed drug tests) and Shaw.

Deane's 1998-99 class was his best: Henry, Harris, Nnamaka and Diggs (if only he could have stayed healthy).  His prior class was Wardle, Mueller (WO), Barone (transfer), Clausen and Demarcus Minor (who had a very good career at Baylor). The X factor for Deane would have been Alton Mason in the 1996-97 class, who was reportedly ripping up Hutch in practice. But, Mason couldn't hack it academically and left at midterms.  That scared Deane off from recruiting academically risky kids after that.  Plus, Ledaryl Billingsley reneging on his commitment really hurt Deane too. 

And, maybe if Deane had gone after two guys who wanted to come to MU he would have had more success: Chris Mihm and Wally Szczerbiak. Instead, we got Polo and Clausen.

While Deane (until the 1999-2000 Kruntil Hester class, what the hell happened there???) recruited solid players (and he had some who would have never been D1) he never got that one guy who could carry a team to a title.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 03:51:17 PM by Billy Hoyle »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2020, 04:30:48 PM »
Deane wouldn't have kept recruiting Wade once he found out he'd be a partial qualifier nor would he have been able to close on him if he had.  After Alton Mason, he was extremely skittish of recruiting guys he saw at academically risky. Plus, it was Crean's persistence in getting Wade in front of Father Wild that got O'Hara Hall to bend and accept a partial qualifier.

One of the best decisions to ever come out of the now demolished building.  A truly sliding doors moment.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2020, 04:42:02 PM »
Hutch was a KO recruit. That class wasn't very good otherwise with McCall (kicked out for two failed drug tests) and Shaw.

Deane's 1998-99 class was his best: Henry, Harris, Nnamaka and Diggs (if only he could have stayed healthy).  His prior class was Wardle, Mueller (WO), Barone (transfer), Clausen and Demarcus Minor (who had a very good career at Baylor). The X factor for Deane would have been Alton Mason in the 1996-97 class, who was reportedly ripping up Hutch in practice. But, Mason couldn't hack it academically and left at midterms.  That scared Deane off from recruiting academically risky kids after that.  Plus, Ledaryl Billingsley reneging on his commitment really hurt Deane too. 

And, maybe if Deane had gone after two guys who wanted to come to MU he would have had more success: Chris Mihm and Wally Szczerbiak. Instead, we got Polo and Clausen.

While Deane (until the 1999-2000 Kruntil Hester class, what the hell happened there???) recruited solid players (and he had some who would have never been D1) he never got that one guy who could carry a team to a title.

Nice context.  I never knew this before.

Yeah, I was never a fan of Deane's recruiting.  He was a good X's and O's coach and got a lot out of his players.  Had he been able to recruit another quality starter or two he might have not been fired.   Either way, it worked out for the better.  Deane is on record saying he should have never left Sienna.  Kevin O'neill on the record as well saying he should have never left MU.  Crean didn't flat out say it but alluded to the fact that MU treated him well - much better than Indiana ever did.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2020, 09:02:08 PM »
One of the best decisions to ever come out of the now demolished building.  A truly sliding doors moment.

That decision singlehandedly brought down MU's USNWR ranking 20 slots. Recruits should only be accepted who will protect MU's elite academic status, and MU should exclude those at risk kids who have historically been a part of MU's mission but bring down the freshmen ACT scores.

To think, this happened on Checks' watch.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2020, 10:16:42 PM »

This has been said by you multiple times over the years and is complete bull crap.  Wade, himself, said so in his book.  I pointed this out the last time you made this incorrect statement and here you are again.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2020, 10:21:43 PM »
That decision singlehandedly brought down MU's USNWR ranking 20 slots. Recruits should only be accepted who will protect MU's elite academic status, and MU should exclude those at risk kids who have historically been a part of MU's mission but bring down the freshmen ACT scores.

To think, this happened on Checks' watch.

LOL.  Incorrect, but it made me laugh. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2020, 12:20:00 AM »
MU is 11-0 in games it was favored this year.

I thought we were 5.5 point favorites vs Providence?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2020, 12:26:09 AM »
I thought we were 5.5 point favorites vs Providence?

Note the date of the post you replied to.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2020, 09:49:21 AM »

Wow.  You'd almost think a guy with this level of knowledge and detail was closely involved in the program during those years.  And Billy Hoyle aint Cheeks.  C'mon man.

Nice recap though.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2020, 10:42:51 AM »
Deane had just gone .500, had a recruiting class of Krunti Hester coming in, and had said publicly that MU should be content with the NIT mixed with the occasional NCAA bid.   But, yes, thanks to a lot of KO's recruits, along with Hutchins and Wardle and the ability to win 46-44 games, Deane won 100 games.

This.  Deane could coach, but he hated recruiting, which is why over time the talent on his teams diminished. He wanted MU to change their expectations of him - NITs being the goal, not NCAAs. NCAAs were a bonus, but not to be expected.

Everything I've heard, Wojo expects to go to the NCAAs. That is his goal, which aligns with MU.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2020, 10:51:40 AM »
Wow.  You'd almost think a guy with this level of knowledge and detail was closely involved in the program during those years.  And Billy Hoyle aint Cheeks.  C'mon man.

Nice recap though.

Nope, not Cheeks. However, those were the years I was a student at MU and after graduation, I had a coworker who had been a manager under Deane and he shared a lot of info about those years (that's how I learned about Mason. We always wondered why he just disappeared during the first semester).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:09:24 AM by Billy Hoyle »

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2020, 10:59:42 AM »
Top 15 wins are good, but the losses to teams we shouldn't lose to even it out

feedback