Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?  (Read 53354 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2020, 08:46:15 PM »
Can ANYONE provide any source about Wojo being interviewed by VT or any other program?

I've now seen people claim there were published reports of this.

But I haven't seen any source (the published stories) to back this up.

I'm not questioning that the interview/feelers/backroom discussions did/did not happen. I'm questioning the published stories/reports.

Do you guys not remember this hubub?

There was a flight from Gary, Indiana to Roanoke. The VT fans thought this was Wojo. (Since MKE, ORD, and MDW would be too obvious).

I'm not kidding.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2020, 08:58:02 PM »
Do you guys not remember this hubub?

There was a flight from Gary, Indiana to Roanoke. The VT fans thought this was Wojo. (Since MKE, ORD, and MDW would be too obvious).

I'm not kidding.

Yeah, this is pure craziness.

https://www.techlunchpail.com/blog/rumors-flight-patterns-pointing-buzz-williams-steve-wojciechowski-virginia-tech

Marquetteauburn

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2020, 09:17:04 PM »
Well, anyone sitting around waiting for Marquette to fire a coach is now in their 21st straight year of misery, right? I'm glad we don't fire coaches, and continue to believe it would be insane to fire Wojo even if Marquette did fire coaches.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #253 on: January 22, 2020, 09:15:10 AM »
I believe you are right. Not a good sign Wojo is in it for the long haul.

Gonna disagree. Half of MU fans wanted Wojo dead including people personally attacking him on Twitter.

If someone did that to me over my job, and felt my job was maybe on the line, you damn better believe I’m entertaining other offers.

(Granted I’m not making the millions.)

fjm

• All American
« Reply #254 on: January 22, 2020, 09:17:38 AM »

Yeah, this is pure craziness.

https://www.techlunchpail.com/blog/rumors-flight-patterns-pointing-buzz-williams-steve-wojciechowski-virginia-tech

Ha. Yeah that was silly stuff. People will rationalize anything.

“They flew to Rome to meet at the Vatican cause it’s not close to VT or Marquette...”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #255 on: January 22, 2020, 09:30:54 AM »
Gonna disagree. Half of MU fans wanted Wojo dead including people personally attacking him on Twitter.

If someone did that to me over my job, and felt my job was maybe on the line, you damn better believe I’m entertaining other offers.

(Granted I’m not making the millions.)

There is a part of me that wants him to leave, set the world on fire, win a natty or two while our program goes into the toilet to purge the crazies for a ten year run.  I don’t really want that to happen, but the disconnect from reality sometimes needs a massive jolting action and historical reset.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #256 on: January 22, 2020, 09:58:31 AM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #257 on: January 22, 2020, 10:31:37 AM »
Can ANYONE provide any source about Wojo being interviewed by VT or any other program?

I'm not questioning that the interview/feelers/backroom discussions did/did not happen. I'm questioning the published stories/reports.

Only published reports I saw were on message boards. I don't believe it was actually reported anywhere.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #258 on: January 22, 2020, 10:35:03 AM »

There is a part of me that wants him to leave, set the world on fire, win a natty or two while our program goes into the toilet to purge the crazies for a ten year run.  I don’t really want that to happen, but the disconnect from reality sometimes needs a massive jolting action and historical reset.
I’ve seen you criticize fans who you claim want MU to lose in order to get rid of Wojo. What you just said is 1,000,000,000 x worse than those you’ve criticized.
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #259 on: January 22, 2020, 12:25:54 PM »
By purge, I mean self purge.  Great to have high expectations, also great to have realistic expectations because you can drive away really good people when expectations are impossible.  There are some fans here that are just miserable all the time, any imperfection anywhere is doom and gloom.  I don’t know why they continue with the heartache....I just don’t get it.  There are other programs that will get you to 3 or 4 losses a year to limit your unhappiness. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #260 on: January 22, 2020, 05:56:29 PM »
By purge, I mean self purge.  Great to have high expectations, also great to have realistic expectations because you can drive away really good people when expectations are impossible.  There are some fans here that are just miserable all the time, any imperfection anywhere is doom and gloom.  I don’t know why they continue with the heartache....I just don’t get it.  There are other programs that will get you to 3 or 4 losses a year to limit your unhappiness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_is_the_enemy_of_good

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #261 on: January 22, 2020, 08:32:15 PM »
I’ve seen you criticize fans who you claim want MU to lose in order to get rid of Wojo. What you just said is 1,000,000,000 x worse than those you’ve criticized.

I think the poll I ran last week proved it out, some fans absolutely want us to lose so he is gone.  That’s not a claim, those were the results by 20% of the takers here.

In my view why are people putting themselves through the pain knowing that we will merely field a really good team, rep university well, try to do it right knowing that this will also likely mean limited chances at the big prize.  If that is your only source of pleasure, to win it all....I dare say you are following the wrong program or are a glutton for punishment in my opinion.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #262 on: January 22, 2020, 08:57:00 PM »
I wouldn't go that far. Don't believe everything you hear.

UCLA is the other one that put out feelers.

People are kidding themselves if they don't think Wojo wouldn't be a hot commodity if he was looking to make a change. No landing any blueblood positions but he could land at another P6 pretty easily.
My speculation is that Wojo will take the first attractive P5 Football school offer that is available. Attractive defined as big money contract, big recruiting budget and some tradition of basketball . All depends on what jobs open up each year on coaching carousel.

Wojo is in a good position to wait and be selective. No one is going to kick him out of MU any time soon. He landed a decent recruiting class which will buy him more time.   

One possible scenario is that Self leaves Kansas to go to the Pros. Turgeon goes to Kansas and Wojo then goes home to Maryland.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #263 on: January 22, 2020, 08:58:14 PM »
My speculation is that Wojo will take the first attractive P5 Football school offer that is available. Attractive defined as big money contract, big recruiting budget and some tradition of basketball . All depends on what jobs open up each year on coaching carousel.

Wojo is in a good position to wait and be selective. No one is going to kick him out of MU any time soon. He landed a decent recruiting class which will buy him more time.   

One possible scenario is that Self leaves Kansas to go to the Pros. Turgeon goes to Kansas and Wojo then goes home to Maryland.

Decent recruiting class?

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #264 on: January 22, 2020, 09:08:28 PM »
I think the poll I ran last week proved it out

They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic...

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/lose-your-marbles.html

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #265 on: January 22, 2020, 09:09:44 PM »

Report was probably too strong of a word. There was a 247 insider from VT, I think his name was Jamie Oakes, who said the deal was close to done. There were a couple MU sources too. It's not usually "reported" until a job has been accepted.

I should have been more clear. The sources close to MU also indicated that the interview was more for leverage than something Wojo was close to accepting. But that's what they would say regardless.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #266 on: January 22, 2020, 11:06:26 PM »

My perspective is that your perspective is wrong.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #267 on: January 22, 2020, 11:19:46 PM »
One possible scenario is that Self leaves Kansas to go to the Pros. Turgeon goes to Kansas is jettisoned into the sun and Wojo then goes home to Maryland.

Fixed it with a more plausible scenario. There is no way Kansas would hire Turgeon. So what if he played there 35 years ago? They'd go for Beard or Donovan or someone of consequence.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #268 on: October 16, 2023, 11:37:16 AM »
Thought I'd bring this back for a little enjoyment and appreciation.

We went from "Please finish a season in the Top 25" to "Wow, we finished 6th in the Country with 2 Conference Titles" to "Holy chit, we are 5th in the Country while the season is 3 weeks away".

Hopefully only up from here!
VIOLENCE!

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #269 on: October 16, 2023, 12:39:41 PM »

Always entertaining to read another Chicos pees down his leg and issues a massive choke job of a post.  Then again there were plenty of other Scooper "Intelligencia" that were all in on Wojo and thought it would be ludicrous to fire Wojo.

The real disconnect from reality were those Scoopers who thought Wojo had any potential as a coach (comparing him to early stage Jay Wright), and who felt MU couldn't do better than Wojo.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #270 on: October 16, 2023, 12:56:49 PM »

L O F'n L

The delusional fanbase now cheers on a preseason Top 5 team that won the Big East and BET. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #271 on: October 16, 2023, 01:08:01 PM »
Always entertaining to read another Chicos pees down his leg and issues a massive choke job of a post.  Then again there were plenty of other Scooper "Intelligencia" that were all in on Wojo and thought it would be ludicrous to fire Wojo.

The real disconnect from reality were those Scoopers who thought Wojo had any potential as a coach (comparing him to early stage Jay Wright), and who felt MU couldn't do better than Wojo.

Well, luckily it worked out in the long run. Holding onto to Wojo until Shaka became available was quite fortuitous.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #272 on: October 16, 2023, 01:11:56 PM »

There certainly were some "fun" takes in here, mostly by hoopaloop but lots of others by lots of Scoopers; even a couple by me.

And then there's this mope's take:

Actually Shakas performance is pretty similar to Wojo’s. Year 4 Shaka wins NiT, Wojo bounced in Quarters in year 4.

Texas hoops tradition is less than MU. Basketball is second fiddle. It’s a good job, but MU has a track record of much more hoops success.

This all being said, I would have felt Shaka would do a better job there and certainly appears he’s not any better than Wojo - other than having had the one run at VCU.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #273 on: October 16, 2023, 01:15:43 PM »

This is even better reading now then when I originally responded. I’m happy to see I called out his hypocrisy real time
No Finish Line

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #274 on: October 16, 2023, 02:17:47 PM »
It's been over two years since this blog was updated. I wonder why? Articles like "Shaka Smart would be a dumb move" have aged so well.

https://www.mupoop.com/
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback