[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ripping on Coaches and Not On Players  (Read 2466 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Ripping on Coaches and Not On Players
« on: January 08, 2020, 11:21:22 AM »
 Glad we are having some good discussions on the current state of the team. Although I am uncomfortable with some of the attacks on the players.

I think it is fair game to rip on the coaches, but I don't believe the players should be maligned.  Players are just young kids trying their best under the circumstances they are in. Coaches are paid to produce.

Only time fair to rip on a kid is when they do an intentional act of thuggery to hurt another player. Other than that ,My view is either applaud the good works, or say something neutral/post stat etc, or say nothing at all about the players.  These kids are representing MU and they deserve our support.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TedBaxter

• All American
Re: Ripping on Coaches and Not On Players
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 11:35:24 AM »
Glad we are having some good discussions on the current state of the team. Although I am uncomfortable with some of the attacks on the players.

I think it is fair game to rip on the coaches, but I don't believe the players should be maligned.  Players are just young kids trying their best under the circumstances they are in. Coaches are paid to produce.

Only time fair to rip on a kid is when they do an intentional act of thuggery to hurt another player. Other than that ,My view is either applaud the good works, or say something neutral/post stat etc, or say nothing at all about the players.  These kids are representing MU and they deserve our support.

OK.

Dammit Wojo, your our big guy and you fouled out with 0 points in only 14 minutes.

Dammit Wojo, you are playing guard opposite Markus and end up 6-26 from the field.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 11:55:43 AM »
Well unfortunately too many fans feel entitled enough that it warrants ripping on 19-year-old kids if they don't live up to their expectations. I don't care if it's the last guy on the bench. If they're in the game I'll support them. Every player acts and reacts differently. Sometimes people need to remember they're human too.

Imagine how Bailey feels after missing that third free throw. I felt worse about how he probably felt than the actual loss/outcome of the game.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 12:22:20 PM »
Good post Herman. Agree 100%. The coaches and really the head coach should be the target of criticism and praise. Not only are they mature adults and being paid millions of dollars but they are also responsible for the players being on the team.

I can not follow the logic of, "coach X didn't miss a free throw or make a turn over so don't blame him". College head coaches are 100% responsible for every player, asst. coach, trainer, etc. being in the program. The buck truly stops with them.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 12:32:13 PM »
"Ripping" on players is one thing that I won't do.  Criticizing them is something I will do.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 12:38:48 PM »
Good post Herman. Agree 100%. The coaches and really the head coach should be the target of criticism and praise. Not only are they mature adults and being paid millions of dollars but they are also responsible for the players being on the team.

I can not follow the logic of, "coach X didn't miss a free throw or make a turn over so don't blame him". College head coaches are 100% responsible for every player, asst. coach, trainer, etc. being in the program. The buck truly stops with them.

Well said.  Good post Herm.  Coach doles out playing time, recruits roster, and fully in charge of program - and the coach is the adult, paid millions, thus should be the target of fan frustration.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 12:43:17 PM »
Well unfortunately too many fans feel entitled enough that it warrants ripping on 19-year-old kids if they don't live up to their expectations. I don't care if it's the last guy on the bench. If they're in the game I'll support them. Every player acts and reacts differently. Sometimes people need to remember they're human too.

Imagine how Bailey feels after missing that third free throw. I felt worse about how he probably felt than the actual loss/outcome of the game.

Fortunately, for as garbage as our fanbase is at times. I didn’t see one poster blaming Bailey for the loss.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 12:55:39 PM »

I agree about them not getting ripped on but they also aren't kids.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 01:33:34 PM »
I agree about them not getting ripped on but they also aren't kids.

Okay sure. They're not children. Young men prone to making plenty of mistakes like any other person regardless of age.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 02:11:50 PM »
What happens in two years when they are paid? Or, when they leave early for the pro leagues?

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 05:07:06 PM »
What happens in two years when they are paid? Or, when they leave early for the pro leagues?

Good Point.  Regardless of what's right or wrong, the criticism in this world of social media will definitely be amplified when collegiate athletes are being paid.  I honestly think staffs (the ones with money) will have to hire team psychologists like they already have in the NBA.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 05:20:12 PM »

Agree 100%. Leave the players out of it.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 05:24:29 PM »
I was trying to understand our strategy early in the game last night.
It appeared to not be one and instead, just put up a forced shot as quickly as possible.
But then I remembered, that someone said we were much more efficient before we went in our half court offense.
So, it must have been a conscious effort to play the way we did the first 10 minutes and that it came from the coaching staff.
So, was the quick shots a good strategy by the coaches that was poorly executed by the players?
 or
Was it a lame strategy by the coaches and was implemented as well as possible by the players?

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 06:46:10 PM »

No one is exempt from criticism. Gratuitous trashing is another matter altogether.

I actually appreciate well reasoned critiques of players and coaches that are supported by a convincing  amount of objective evidence. Those critiques help inform and influence my opinion.

I don't appreciate mindless rants, especially those directed at players, but also coaches, that are based on small selective samples of primarily prejudicial evidence. I.E., bashing a player or coach after a bad loss but purposefully omitting their contributions in a big win. This is especially important when determining  a coach or players current value and future potential.

At this particular moment in time it is critical (pun intended), IMHO, that people keep a level head when commenting on the players and the coach. The program seems to be at an inflection point. Big time recruits have already committed and another is seriously considering Marquette. Excessive and unnecessary negativity is not helpful.

Constructive criticism is productive.

Destructive criticism is counterproductive.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 08:54:49 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

feedback