[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Poll: Vast majority of Americans polled say show college athletes the $$$$  (Read 5760 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83

comparing apples to yoga pants

i don't recall the topic of allowing pros to compete in olympics being near the concern as paying college athletes.  every other country had been doing it since socrates except us. 

It is absolutely a valid comparison. Amateur athletics is a joke.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American

comparing apples to yoga pants

i don't recall the topic of allowing pros to compete in olympics being near the concern as paying college athletes.  every other country had been doing it since socrates except us.

NY Times October 1991, after it was announced pros would compete in the 1992 Summer Games:

"The Olympics Are Dead"
https://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/27/sports/l-the-olympics-are-dead-552791.html

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Internals were interesting.  44% of the respondents are currently not employed.  Hmm.  Only 33% are college graduates.

The poll had questions about immigration, Trump, NCAA, abortion, etc.   Outstanding poll for this issue....OUTSTANDING.   ::)

http://www.apnorc.org/projects/Documents/NCAA%20Topline%202019.pdf
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Internals were interesting.  44% of the respondents are currently not employed.  Hmm.  Only 33% are college graduates.

Ignoring that you'd like to make this about Politics. 

About 38% of Americans are not employed.  Now, a vast majority of those are "Not in the labor force", but they're still not employed.
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t01.htm

Only about 35% of Americans are college graduates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educational_attainment_in_the_United_States#General_attainment_of_degrees/diplomas

So what's the issue?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 12:15:10 AM by rocky_warrior »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Ignoring that you'd like to make this about Politics. 

About 38% of Americans are not employed.  Now, a vast majority of those are "Not in the labor force", but they're still not employed.
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t01.htm

Only about 35% of American's are college graduates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educational_attainment_in_the_United_States#General_attainment_of_degrees/diplomas

So what's the issue?

Let's put those lazy 90 year olds to work.

MU82

• All American
I forgot to mention in my OP that this is the second major national poll in which roughly 2/3rds of Americans surveyed said college athletes should be compensated when their names and images are used to generate profit.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/20704329/blacks-whites-split-topic-compensation-college-players

While, as other Scoopers mentioned, California already has passed a law that will go in effect in 2023, many other states are working on legislation now. South Carolina -- the diametric ideological opposite of California -- is putting the final touches on a similar law that would take effect in 2021.

One can understand why the NCAA is desperate for a national law, because change is coming fast.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
I forgot to mention in my OP that this is the second major national poll in which roughly 2/3rds of Americans surveyed said college athletes should be compensated when their names and images are used to generate profit.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/20704329/blacks-whites-split-topic-compensation-college-players

While, as other Scoopers mentioned, California already has passed a law that will go in effect in 2023, many other states are working on legislation now. South Carolina -- the diametric ideological opposite of California -- is putting the final touches on a similar law that would take effect in 2021.

One can understand why the NCAA is desperate for a national law, because change is coming fast.

If there's something that transcends ideology, it's sports.  The south has to get on board quickly or their sacred sports programs will be under attack. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
I have been thinking about this issue for a while.   I believe that 99 percent of College Athletes that are in head count sports ( those sports where scholarships and full cost of attendance are taken care) and 100 percent of College Athletes who are in equivalency sports ( partial  scholarship rides) are more than fully compensated . As Chico points out most people dont understand the system fully and just respond to something that sounds good in concept.

That said, if the popular will wants to go to compensating student athletes  , so be it. I think one of the strange consequences will be that smaller programs  put all their resources into one great player. So it may turn out to be like old lawless days where payments where rampant . In those days schools like Jacksonville some how get a player like Artis Gilmore, Niagara gets Calvin Murphy, St. Bonnie gets Bob Lanier etc 

So MU might be able to actually rise to the top in this scenario , just like they did with Al. Take our big budget and spending it wisely. Maybe create a niche going after two and done type players.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"

So MU might be able to actually rise to the top in this scenario , just like they did with Al. Take our big budget and spending it wisely. Maybe create a niche going after two and done type players.

I've wondered how MU's big budget will play into this as well.  The thing is, if a player is looking to be paid, does a certain mentality come with it? 

Does that mentality fit with what they're doing now in terms of image?

Furthermore, is it that much of an advantage?  Other schools have resources as well, especially from boosters.  The other thing I think of is.... once you start paying guys, how does that affect other teammates who aren't getting paid?

There's a lot of ego massaging here, especially when you're applying this to competitive athletes that are kids.  They often don't see the big picture and are prone to jealousy.

Jay Bee

• All American
Let's put those lazy 90 year olds to work.

Pretty sure MU82 ain’t been that old for all these years bruh
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.