[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The 5 Stages of Grieving - MU Basketball  (Read 2621 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
The 5 Stages of Grieving - MU Basketball
« on: January 08, 2020, 10:51:41 AM »
It dawned on me that the last 5.5 years of being a die-hard fan of MU basketball, have mirrored the grieving process - looking at it on a year-by-year basis of Wojo's tenure:

Year 1:  Denial.  I didn't want to confront the reality that MU just essentially ushered out the best basketball coach we had since Al McGuire. 

Year 2:  Anger:  After watching the awful Year 1 turned in by our new coach, I became angry with the 180 our program took missing its second NIT in a row.

Year 3:  Bargaining:  We did make the NCAA, Rowsey and Howard were fun AF to watch, and they were Wojo's guys.

Year 4:  Depression:  We missed the NCAA, coming off the blowout loss in the the NCAA the year prior, Rowsey graduates.

Year 5:  Acceptance:  We appeared to be fulfilling the promise of the "golden power point," only to implode down the stretch, and see the same failure of roster management evident in Year 1 of Wojo's tenure, also rear its head in Year 5.

So, at this stage I've come to accept what was evidently clear to me in Year 1 under Wojo - that he certainly was no Buzz Williams, and certainly didn't appear to have "it" as a Head Coach.  He's a nice enough guy, clean cut, vanilla, and will deliver results in the 30-60 range of the rankings.  It could be worse, but it also was much better.

It is ironic that in many ways that Wojo is to Buzz, what Hank was to Al.  Tough acts to follow for sure.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: The 5 Stages of Grieving - MU Basketball
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 11:03:21 AM »
It dawned on me that the last 5.5 years of being a die-hard fan of MU basketball, have mirrored the grieving process - looking at it on a year-by-year basis of Wojo's tenure:

Year 1:  Denial.  I didn't want to confront the reality that MU just essentially ushered out the best basketball coach we had since Al McGuire. 

Year 2:  Anger:  After watching the awful Year 1 turned in by our new coach, I became angry with the 180 our program took missing its second NIT in a row.

Year 3:  Bargaining:  We did make the NCAA, Rowsey and Howard were fun AF to watch, and they were Wojo's guys.

Year 4:  Depression:  We missed the NCAA, coming off the blowout loss in the the NCAA the year prior, Rowsey graduates.

Year 5:  Acceptance:  We appeared to be fulfilling the promise of the "golden power point," only to implode down the stretch, and see the same failure of roster management evident in Year 1 of Wojo's tenure, also rear its head in Year 5.

So, at this stage I've come to accept what was evidently clear to me in Year 1 under Wojo - that he certainly was no Buzz Williams, and certainly didn't appear to have "it" as a Head Coach.  He's a nice enough guy, clean cut, vanilla, and will deliver results in the 30-60 range of the rankings.  It could be worse, but it also was much better.

It is ironic that in many ways that Wojo is to Buzz, what Hank was to Al.  Tough acts to follow for sure.

Crean left on his own.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Tosadoc

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 11:03:37 AM »
Sounds like we will be in purgatory for awhile?????

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 11:05:35 AM »
agree on the original post 100% ,

wojo does not have the mojo

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 11:07:48 AM »

I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 02:10:14 PM »
Just checking in to make sure all Scoopers are accounted for.
After Chernobyl last night I was a bit concerned.

Does this mean our next coach is a Rick Majerus reincarnate?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:58:23 PM by NCMUFan »

Tosadoc

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 08:13:50 PM »
Someday seashells and balloons again??

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 08:52:04 PM »

A better analogy would be the arc of addiction,  intervention,, treatment, and relapse.

You were addicted to Buzz. He made you feel good even though he might be bad for you.

They took your Buzz away. You experienced Buzz withdrawal and became irritable, lashing out at others, even those trying to help.

They tried to give you Wojo to reduce the cravings for Buzz but it was no use. You were too addicted to Buzz.

Now you're back on Buzz, secretly getting your fix when nobody's watching.

You are a Buzz addict.

You will always be a Buzz addict.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 10:03:59 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 09:07:09 PM »
Year 1-5: drown sorrows in booze

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 12:14:19 PM »
I agree with this analysis.
Yeah, Buzz was a tough act to follow.......... Considering the condition he left the program in after his departure.

feedback