[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Up 3 end of game....FOUL!!!  (Read 10674 times)

StillWarriors

• All American
Re: Up 3 end of game....FOUL!!!
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2020, 04:22:03 PM »
The most promising thing about the Georgetown game is that Wojo is reading MUScoop, fouling up 3 under 10 seconds.

With our armchair coaching finally happening on-court, the sky is the limit.

Made me nervous that Howard picked up his 4th foul to do it. The box out was outstanding on the ensuing free throw. Theo and Bailey had great box outs on their guys towards the baseline, and Sacar and Koby filled the gap. The only way we weren't going to get that rebound was a long one. Well executed.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2020, 04:42:22 PM »
Different situation with the play starting with under 10 seconds left. Even today I think the foul came too quickly. Opponent was nowhere near the three point and was moving laterally. Think Markus could have let a couple of more ticks come off the clock. Worked out though
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2020, 05:18:30 PM »
Different situation with the play starting with under 10 seconds left. Even today I think the foul came too quickly. Opponent was nowhere near the three point and was moving laterally. Think Markus could have let a couple of more ticks come off the clock. Worked out though

I thought so too. I think in that time out Ewing anticipated that MU would foul and he told Mosely to dribble it out to get fouled quickly. It just seemed like Mosely was dribbling East-West there waiting for the hack.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2020, 05:38:32 PM »
Made me nervous that Howard picked up his 4th foul to do it. The box out was outstanding on the ensuing free throw. Theo and Bailey had great box outs on their guys towards the baseline, and Sacar and Koby filled the gap. The only way we weren't going to get that rebound was a long one. Well executed.

Picking up his fourth foul with 5 seconds to play is no big deal. Sure, it could backfire if there's OT, but the odds are slim. I didn't mind it at all myself. I was actually happy to see us have a clear plan in that scenario. It seemed obvious that Wojo wanted to foul, and we executed right away. Well done.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2020, 05:49:49 PM »
Picking up his fourth foul with 5 seconds to play is no big deal. Sure, it could backfire if there's OT, but the odds are slim. I didn't mind it at all myself. I was actually happy to see us have a clear plan in that scenario. It seemed obvious that Wojo wanted to foul, and we executed right away. Well done.

It was the right play today, and it would've been the winning play against Providence.  The reason why having Howard pick up his 4th foul is no big deal is because OT is such a slim possibility.  Have your smartest player foul the opposing team near half court, where there's almost no chance of fouling a shooter, and you will rarely be disappointed.

We are 1 foul from being 4-2 in conference. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2020, 05:57:41 PM »
It was the right play today, and it would've been the winning play against Providence.  The reason why having Howard pick up his 4th foul is no big deal is because OT is such a slim possibility.  Have your smartest player foul the opposing team near half court, where there's almost no chance of fouling a shooter, and you will rarely be disappointed.

We are 1 foul from being 4-2 in conference.

One of the biggest advocates for fouling in these late game situation, but this isn't true.  We are 1 well executed foul, plus one well executed box out, plus one rebound, plus at least 2 made free throws away from being 4-2 in conference.  Straight up, the percentages say that it is a toss-up, but as stated earlier in the thread, I'm always in favor of putting the game in our players hands, rather than the other teams players. 

Well executed end of game situation today.  Props to Wojo, he made the right call.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2020, 06:47:49 PM »
Agreed. Which is why I don’t under why some on scoop say..”well if a poor 3 point shooter hits that shot to tie the game...all you can do is tip your cap.” What? Illogical.
No. Take a 25% 3 point shooter out of the equation. Hell, take a 1% 3 point shooter out of the equation. Also, don’t understand why you would go under the double screens and trail the shooter when you are up 3 points, and the only way they tie is a 3 pointer.  No 3s.
That means NO 3s. Love seeing the approach today. Grabbed the win....didn’t allow Georgetown a chance.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2020, 07:02:46 PM »
Been saying this for years and not changing now.  Still believe that is the right play and hate when coaches let one shot tie a game.  I know this is a split decision on this, but the math never made sense to me.

Allow one shot to tie a game....OR....require someone to make one shot, miss one shot, get rebound and make a shot.

I don’t care who the coach is, I am fouling every time and have never wavered on this.
Agreed. Today Mu fouled too soon. Believe there was about 6 seconds left when the foul was called at about 30 feet from basket.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2020, 07:03:35 PM »
Providence was worse from the line than us

PS- disagree on fouling up 3. It depends.
On what?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2020, 07:56:47 PM »
On what?

I think it's situational, but has nothing to do with the opponent, and everything to do with our roster makeup.  For example, Zar and the midgets, not sure I would trust them to be able to get the board after the missed ft.  Any team with JFB, I'd trust him to absolutely shut down any attempt.  Some of Buzz's not so good shooting teams, wouldn't trust to be able to hit the fts.  This team, it would take some very unique foul trouble/fouling out situation for me to not want to go for the foul.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2020, 08:28:03 PM »
I would still do it, regardless of a good rebounding team, etc.
There has to be stats on this situation.
% of games lost when up three and leading team fouls under 10 seconds.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2020, 10:00:28 PM »
One of the biggest advocates for fouling in these late game situation, but this isn't true.  We are 1 well executed foul, plus one well executed box out, plus one rebound, plus at least 2 made free throws away from being 4-2 in conference.  Straight up, the percentages say that it is a toss-up, but as stated earlier in the thread, I'm always in favor of putting the game in our players hands, rather than the other teams players. 

Well executed end of game situation today.  Props to Wojo, he made the right call.

Outstanding comment, DJ.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2020, 11:04:23 PM »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2020, 09:44:00 PM »
Bump, it's on wojo

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2020, 09:45:13 PM »
Not only that, but Xavier can't hit FTs to save their lives.

Awful coaching

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2020, 09:45:17 PM »
#wojohasnomojo

You unnatural carnal knowledgeing foul  period.     Especially on the road.   

Nit bound baby!!!!

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2020, 09:49:50 PM »
Torrance did foul. Unfortunately the refs didn’t call it before he handed off to Marshall for the shot. Good job by Torrance not to stay committed to the foul and catch a potential four-point play

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2020, 09:52:25 PM »
He did not foul.  There was no attempt even for a mild reach in.   

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2020, 09:53:15 PM »
He did not foul.  There was no attempt even for a mild reach in.   

Stop with the lies.

https://twitter.com/BenSteeleMJS/status/1222727205651795970?s=19

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2020, 09:53:59 PM »
Torrance did foul. Unfortunately the refs didn’t call it before he handed off to Marshall for the shot. Good job by Torrance not to stay committed to the foul and catch a potential four-point play

This. The problem in the execution was how late the foul was going to come.  If you're going to foul in that situation, you've got to pick your player up somewhere in the backcourt and the foul needs to come two steps after midcourt.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2020, 10:27:50 PM »
Symir bumped with no call.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback