Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nova SOTG  (Read 10018 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: Nova SOTG
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2020, 07:08:25 PM »
Markus.  Established himself early and we rode him to big first half lead Nova couldn’t overcome.  No one on Nova could guard him.  Then he hits huge three out of timeout down the stretch when we couldn’t buy one.

Bullseye.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2020, 07:22:42 PM »
Markus

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2020, 07:52:50 PM »
Brendan not in the running, but did want to mention his defense was awesome as well. Both on the ball and in help.

I also never, ever worry when he has the ball. He may force up a quick shot every now and then, but never turns it over and never really takes a shot that leads to a run out for the other team.

Good call. Bailey did a great job of staying in front of his man. The one time I recall that his guy blew by him, he did his usual great job of recovering and blocking the shot. Nice to see the solid D without the need for the recovery. Really like the way he is playing lately.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2020, 07:55:01 PM »
For SOTG:

Markus
Koby
Theo

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2020, 07:57:30 PM »
Theo held court underneath!  Intimidation, block shots, rebounds.  Awesome big guy!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2020, 08:03:11 PM »
Headline:  player scores 29 points and is somehow not unanimous SOTG.

Spoiled bunch, we are.

It’s Koby. Howard chucks too many bad shots. 3/12 from 3, 20 shots overall. Not impressive. Koby 22 points on only 12 shots., much more important points when Howard was on the bench.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2020, 11:12:50 PM »
I am not one who likes to avoid the obvious SOTG (Markus most games) to advocate for the second- or third-best choice, but this time, I really think Theo was our studliest stud from start to finish.

I would have absolutely no problem if Markus or Koby is selected (not that anybody cares if I would). They helped us take our big first-half lead and they made some nice contributions late. The 3 Markus hit down the stretch was crucial, and I liked the way he took it inside and drew fouls when little else was working for us.

However, defense won us this game, and Theo was huge. Frankly, I was surprised he only had 4 blocks, as it seemed he altered nearly every drive Nova had. Plus 10 rebounds, including a couple in traffic with us trying to hold off their late rally. On one late-game reb, he quickly handed off to Markus so Nova would have to foul Markus -- smart.

Now I read that he did it all despite playing with a thumb injury. Impressive and gutsy.

Theo
Markus
Koby

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2020, 11:20:49 PM »
Markus for sure.

His scoring-at-will in the first half had to be an absolute dagger to Jay and the Nova players.

Shout out to Theo though. 

Also, not that it merits SOTG consideration, but props to Sacar for those two absolutely-crucial mid-range jumpers and stopping Nova's momentum.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2020, 11:22:52 PM »
Koby... for overcoming his slump against the best team MU will play until March.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

mufib

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2020, 02:23:05 AM »
Markus
Then Koby and Theo

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2020, 06:33:50 AM »
I think this is a really tough call. Markus set the tone early and hit a clutch 3 out of a second half timeout. Theo was an absolute beast down low especially with back to back blocks during our scoring drought. But the play of the game was Koby getting his arse on the ground to fight for that loose ball and get the TO. Non-con is over and playing like hairy wet cats had to end. Koby lead the 'man up' effort. SOTG.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2020, 07:31:56 AM »
I think this is a really tough call. Markus set the tone early and hit a clutch 3 out of a second half timeout. Theo was an absolute beast down low especially with back to back blocks during our scoring drought. But the play of the game was Koby getting his arse on the ground to fight for that loose ball and get the TO. Non-con is over and playing like hairy wet cats had to end. Koby lead the 'man up' effort. SOTG.

Very reasonable and well-articulated argument for Koby winning this.

I think this is the toughest SOTG call this season. Most games have been obvious.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2020, 09:31:01 AM »
I am not a Theo guy, but he is my SOTG. Starting with two pure quick free throws and played strong the entire game. Job well done by Theo.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2020, 11:29:52 AM »
This is a tough one. I agree with Goose about the first play of the game setting the tone where Theo grabbed an offensive rebound, got fouled and amazingly pured the 2 FTs. Thought that was big. I'm also tend to favor Koby over Markus since he was more efficient offensively and stayed in the game until the very end making FTs (including 2 mulligans thanks to BB's offensive rebound off a FT miss). Tough call I'd say Koby Theo Markus

(Geez that image is big)

Very aware my opinion no matta.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2020, 11:44:03 AM »
It’s Koby. Howard chucks too many bad shots. 3/12 from 3, 20 shots overall. Not impressive.

I can think of two questionable shots Howard took yesterday, and one was the huge three he made coming out of the timeout when we desperately needed a bucket. Several shots were just off or in and out. God forbid one of the best shooters in the country takes 20 shots that are nearly all good looks (for him). In the past at times yes, but I think this narrative is tired and inaccurate this year. I’d be far more concerned if he didn’t take just about every good look he can get as long as others are involved. Some games he may go 3-12, but that won’t be the norm and we’d be stupid not to have him be a volume shooter.

Huge credit to Markus for the development of his ability to get good looks despite being the constant focal point of the defense. His ball handling improvement the last two years is pretty amazing. His quick crossovers into two swished mid-range jumpers yesterday were outstanding.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:54:54 PM by StillWarriors »

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2020, 11:57:59 AM »
I can think of two questionable shots Howard took yesterday, and one was the huge three he made coming out of the timeout when we desperately needed a bucket. Several shots were just off or in and out. God forbid one of the best shooters in the country takes 20 shots that are nearly all good looks (for him). In the past at times yes, but I think this narrative is tired and inaccurate this year. I’d be far more concerned if he didn’t take just about every good look he can get as long as others are involved. Some games he may go 3-12, but that won’t be the norm and we’d be stupid not to have him be a volume shooter.

Huge credit to Markus for the development of his ability to get good looks despite being the constant focal point of the defense. His ball handling improvement the last two years is pretty amazing. His quick crossovers into two swisher mid-range jumpers yesterday were outstanding.

It’s Koby. Howard chucks too many bad shots. 3/12 from 3, 20 shots overall. Not impressive. Koby 22 points on only 12 shots., much more important points when Howard was on the bench.

A handful of Koby's points were free throws when the game was out of reach. He played really well, especially relative to his terrible slump, but Markus set the tone opening the game on fire. His three to break the drought in the second half was the biggest shot of the game. He came out cold in the second as did the entire team. Couple that with his 8 boards.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2020, 12:01:27 PM »

Huge credit to Markus for the development of his ability to get good looks despite being the constant focal point of the defense. His ball handling improvement the last two years is pretty amazing. His quick crossovers into two swisher mid-range jumpers yesterday were outstanding.

Outstanding take.

Markus has been great.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2020, 01:17:16 PM »
Markus, especially with the 8 Defensive Rebounds. Koby then Theo. That said Greg had some key assists.

#ittakesavillage

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2020, 01:53:49 PM »
Huge credit to Markus for the development of his ability to get good looks despite being the constant focal point of the defense.

Additional huge credit to the coaching staff and his teammates for doing so as well.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2020, 03:29:28 PM »
I can't believe people are selecting the Cancer for SOTG
Goal is National Championship

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2020, 04:06:30 PM »
I can't believe people are selecting the Cancer for SOTG

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2020, 05:13:25 PM »
I'd have no problem with Koby or Theo. But Markus gets my vote. Set the tone in building a 20-point lead and played his guts out on both ends of the court. 29 points. 8 rebounds. 2 steals. Stud.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2020, 06:04:54 PM »
It's Markus.  And for me it wasn't that close.  It took a great TEAM effort to pull off that first half, and great TEAM defense to keep the lead in the second half.  Markus was the straw that stirred the drink though.  He set the aggressive tone at the start of the game, and others followed suit.  And then when nobody could score, he hit that nearly impossible double screen 3pt dagger that loosened up the offense again. 

So if you'd like to believe he wasn't the Stud of the Game, you can call him the Straw of the Game.  But he had 29 points and 8 (!!) rebounds.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:54:26 PM by rocky_warrior »

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2020, 06:30:57 PM »
It's Markus.  And for me it wasn't that close.  It took a great TEAM effort to pull off that first half, and great TEAM defense to keep the lead in the second half.  Markus was the straw that stirred the drink though.  He set the aggressive tone at the start of the game, and others followed suit.  And then when nobody could score, he hit that nearly impossible double screen 3pt dagger that loosed up the offense again. 

So if you'd like to believe he wasn't the Stud of the Game, you can call him the Straw of the Game.  But he had 29 points and 8 (!!) rebounds.
The only thing you left out was his defense. If you get a chance go back and watch how he guarded much bigger players. Used his body very well cutting guys off and boxing out. People focus a lot on his offense but his defense this last game was equally impressive.

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2020, 06:34:05 PM »

feedback