[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 159648 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #200 on: January 24, 2021, 01:12:34 PM »

We could’ve had Oats if we’d sh-tcanned Wojo after the inexcusable collapse followed by the botched MH/Hauser situation, and it was the obvious right move at the time. MU really unnatural carnal knowledgeed that up bad.
Nope. And I wasn’t the only one saying it. Amazed how many are now just waking up. This may look good in hindsight to you but that’s you.
No Finish Line

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2021, 01:16:37 PM »
I’m sure coaches would’ve been sprinting to get in line for a job that just “sh*tcanned” it’s coach following a 2nd place finish in the BE and a 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

You run cover for Wojo regardless of any circumstance ever. You don’t have much credibility in this discussion sorry. Watching a top 5 roster crumble on his watch was grounds for termination and easily justifiable.
No Finish Line

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2021, 01:19:34 PM »
The great unknown is his health situation.

Unlike Urban Meyer, Matta’s health situation isn’t getting caught chasing girls the same ages as his daughters. It’s legit.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 01:31:22 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #203 on: January 24, 2021, 01:30:05 PM »
Steve Novak

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2021, 01:33:25 PM »

You run cover for Wojo regardless of any circumstance ever. You don’t have much credibility in this discussion sorry. Watching a top 5 roster crumble on his watch was grounds for termination and easily justifiable.

Like I said, coaches definitely would’ve been sprinting to Milwaukee for a chance to interview at a program that just “sh*tcanned” a coach that finished 2nd in the BE and a 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Especially at a school that has been better than a 5 seed a total of 5 times in the history of the NCAA Tournament.

Brilliant stuff.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2021, 01:35:24 PM »
The roster didn't crumble until April.  They weren't firing Wojo then.  Gimme a break.

They should fire him now, but they won't.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2021, 01:35:37 PM »
Like I said, coaches definitely would’ve been sprinting to Milwaukee for a chance to interview at a program that just “sh*tcanned” a coach that finished 2nd in the BE and a 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Especially at a school that has been better than a 5 seed a total of 5 times in the history of the NCAA Tournament.

Brilliant stuff.

Exactly

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2021, 01:39:48 PM »
Fire him now, maybe Killings can save this season?  If not look at Wardle and others after season.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2021, 01:58:09 PM »

Brilliant stuff.

I agree that Marquette, nor any other school, would've fired Wojo in spring 2019, though there were definitely a lot of red flags in the second half of the season which suggested he was in over his head.

That said, you've been a big time jerk to anyone who dared question Wojo's greatness for years, but after last night's game, as the Rolling Stones would say, "It's all over now."  We dropped to 79 in the NET rankings and lost to a DePaul team that might not win another game all season.  It will be very, very hard for us to come back from that loss and make the tournament, and no amount of you saying "We got our guy" or "Who?" every time the Hausers get brought up (despite you once starting a thread titled "Man do I love the Hausers") is going to change that.  Wojo is the worst coach we've had since Dukiet and needs to be shown the door as soon as possible.  You believe that happy crappy?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2021, 02:08:28 PM »

Brilliant stuff.
I mean let’s start with you have no idea what coaches would do. You can presume and your presumption might be right but it’s still a presumption. Second if we had SH-TCANNED (sorry to offend) your boy and had Oats been interested/hired we’d be a much better program today.
No Finish Line

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #210 on: January 24, 2021, 02:16:53 PM »
I agree that Marquette, nor any other school, would've fired Wojo in spring 2019, though there were definitely a lot of red flags in the second half of the season which suggested he was in over his head.

That said, you've been a big time jerk to anyone who dared question Wojo's greatness for years, but after last night's game, as the Rolling Stones would say, "It's all over now."  We dropped to 79 in the NET rankings and lost to a DePaul team that might not win another game all season.  It will be very, very hard for us to come back from that loss and make the tournament, and no amount of you saying "We got our guy" or "Who?" every time the Hausers get brought up (despite you once starting a thread titled "Man do I love the Hausers") is going to change that.  Wojo is the worst coach we've had since Dukiet and needs to be shown the door as soon as possible.  You believe that happy crappy?

Cool.

We should not have “sh*tcanned” Wojo after 2019.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #211 on: January 24, 2021, 02:55:12 PM »
The worst decision is continuing to waste time employing a coach you know is not the answer.

For many, that answer was obvious after 2019. The correct answer is always less years paying a guy you know isn’t “the guy”. Stop delaying the inevitable and wasting money. No one cares 5 years later if you fired that other coach too soon.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #212 on: January 24, 2021, 03:01:08 PM »
The “selection criteria” has changed since Wojo was brought in.

You want to bet?  Marquette is all about image and brand management.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #213 on: January 24, 2021, 03:34:57 PM »
Matta's another story.  He's only 53, is a lifelong Midwesterner, and has had success at two different basketball-only schools. 
I can’t believe Matta is only 53. While he was coaching at tOSU he looked older than Normal Dale did the year he took Hickory to states.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #214 on: January 24, 2021, 03:37:32 PM »
Wojo was hired before Lovell and Scholl were.  It should be stressed that neither was involved in hiring Wojo (Cords and Wild hired him).  It’s a huge assumption that both would sit idle if team continues to decline.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2021, 03:43:51 PM »
Wrong on Lovell. Woj was hired prior to Lovell, but no coach was taking this job without meeting with the prez in waiting, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2021, 07:59:59 PM »
Lovell the type of guy who would pull a Kevin McHale and just hire himself to coach the team

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #217 on: January 24, 2021, 08:01:40 PM »
Lovell the type of guy who would pull a Kevin McHale and just hire himself to coach the team

So we would save money and the players would run the team?  I don’t know how this is different than our current situation.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:03:52 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #218 on: January 25, 2021, 05:41:59 AM »
Wojo was hired before Lovell and Scholl were.  It should be stressed that neither was involved in hiring Wojo (Cords and Wild hired him).  It’s a huge assumption that both would sit idle if team continues to decline.

It looks like Lovell being the next president was made public 6 days before we hired Wojo. If I remember right, they hired him quickly to make a final effort on Shaka.

I don’t know how much input he had, but I think he was involved in the Wojo hire.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #219 on: January 25, 2021, 07:25:40 AM »
My recollection was that Lovell and Cords (and maybe Doc?) were the ones to fly out to meet Shaka.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #220 on: January 25, 2021, 07:43:46 AM »
My recollection was that Lovell and Cords (and maybe Doc?) were the ones to fly out to meet Shaka.

Lovell was there, and was at least around for the Wojo process, but I don't think he was driving the bus by any means.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

muballbuster

• Walk-On
« Reply #221 on: January 25, 2021, 07:51:39 AM »
1. Nate Oates
2. Travis Ford- has St. Louis ranked with wins over LSU and NC State. Has been in a power 6 conference before and recruits Illinois and the Midwest.
3. Leon Rice-Boise State head coach who has 20 + winning seasons 8 out of 10 years and 5 ncaa post seasons.
4. Rick Stansberry- Western Kentucky coach who also coached at Mississippi State.
5. Wardle
6. TJO at UNLV

Also, I do like the idea of Matta just not sure he wants to coach again.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:36:28 AM by muballbuster »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #222 on: January 25, 2021, 08:49:19 AM »
Lovell was there, and was at least around for the Wojo process, but I don't think he was driving the bus by any means.

Doc was very instrumental with opening the door for Shaka with with Strong (money man) and Cords, with a check-in with Lovell (not announced until this time).  Doc checked off with Wojo from his son's day and then it was Ferraro (BOT) and Lovell with Cords, etc. Strong was in Europe and wasn't informed or consulted.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:53:13 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #223 on: January 25, 2021, 08:50:36 AM »
You mean Strong....not Smart....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #224 on: January 25, 2021, 08:51:39 AM »
You mean Strong....not Smart....
Well I meant both but yes Strong. Lol