[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Skipping the big game  (Read 14965 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Skipping the big game
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2020, 07:20:21 PM »
Ignorance is bliss.

LOL.  Yup, every Gallup poll since 2003...if we only knew what was really going on behind the numbers.

Coincidentally non Gallup polls on the same subject show the same thing...but only if knew.

Outstanding
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2020, 07:22:48 PM »
LOL.  Yup, every Gallup poll since 2003...if we only knew what was really going on behind the numbers.

Coincidentally non Gallup polls on the same subject show the same thing...but only if knew.

Outstanding

"My worst, my absolute worst about me came on this message board….and for that I apologize to you. The desire to be right all the time, push buttons, get the last word in, etc.  Just not good... UGH. Embarrassing."  --Jams
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2020, 07:35:50 PM »
"My worst, my absolute worst about me came on this message board….and for that I apologize to you. The desire to be right all the time, push buttons, get the last word in, etc.  Just not good... UGH. Embarrassing."  --Jams

Just another thing he was lying about.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2020, 08:42:57 AM »
Just another thing he was lying about.

Lol.  I give what I get here.  For someone like you, who always has to have the last word as well, to pontificate on this is funny.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2020, 01:45:29 PM »
These guys are going to play in a game with their argument that they protecting millions in future revenues for a much smaller amount from NIL?

Depends on what their NIL contracts say. If they have to appear in the bowl games as part of the agreement then yes they would or they'd be in breach.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2020, 03:14:07 PM »
Depends on what their NIL contracts say. If they have to appear in the bowl games as part of the agreement then yes they would or they'd be in breach.

NIL isn’t the relevant doc here.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2020, 03:57:41 PM »
NIL isn’t the relevant doc here.

Sure it is, if we want to fix this. Your argument is that the scholarship agreement requires their participation....it does not otherwise it's conditional which make them university employees which as has been repeated ad nauseum (correctly) in the eyes of the law SAs are not employees.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2020, 04:13:45 PM »

And they will say so what, the amount of money at risk of injury vs what they would get from NIL is no comparison.  That's why I don't see how your argument holds water.  NIL isn't going to stop these guys from sitting out.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2020, 04:18:14 PM »
You probably believe that. Sad!

No, when he played in the senior bowl after quitting on his team.

when you're the least famous of your brothers maybe he felt he had no choice...unless he wanted to quit football to be a "youtube celebrity" whose talent is convincing others you have talent instead of taking a beating on a weekly basis.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2020, 07:53:59 PM »

Hi, I am not good at reading comprehension
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 08:37:20 PM by Jay Bee »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2020, 08:13:01 PM »
No, and I'm not sure you know what an NLI is. First, it's not required. Second, it's relevant for one year and that's it.

My argument is that NCAA bylaws allow a school to revoke athletic aid if a kid voluntarily quits. That's just factual.

Isn't he talking about NIL, not NLI?

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2020, 08:14:16 PM »
No, and I'm not sure you know what an NLI is. First, it's not required. Second, it's relevant for one year and that's it.

Reading would be helpful. He said NIL (name, image, likeness) not NLI.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2020, 08:15:30 PM »
My argument is that NCAA bylaws allow a school to revoke athletic aid if a kid voluntarily quits. That's just factual.

Not if they skip a bowl game.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2020, 08:35:36 PM »
Isn't he talking about NIL, not NLI?

My bad

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2020, 06:42:49 AM »
And they will say so what, the amount of money at risk of injury vs what they would get from NIL is no comparison.  That's why I don't see how your argument holds water.  NIL isn't going to stop these guys from sitting out.

Simple contract law, if the "advertisement" agreement I sign as part of my NIL with the local car dealership includes the requirement that I participate in all relevant games(as an example) and then I willfully sit out one of those said games I'm in breach of contract and all the money I earned can be taken away via lawsuit.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2020, 06:47:01 AM »
Simple contract law, if the "advertisement" agreement I sign as part of my NIL with the local car dealership includes the requirement that I participate in all relevant games(as an example) and then I willfully sit out one of those said games I'm in breach of contract and all the money I earned can be taken away via lawsuit.

Keep in mind, the kids we are talking about sitting out bowl games are also the kids that are going to get the biggest contracts under NIL provisions if available. So having that money plus the hassle of legal action if they sit out is likely to be more than enough to get them back into the games that don't actually matter that we all watch like lemmings. Yes the NIL contracts won't be nearly as big as the NFL contracts but they are certainly something more than the nothing burger they currently get to play a meaningless game.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2020, 09:29:32 AM »

Understand completely, but what I am saying is “all that money” from the local car dealership will pale in comparison to the risk / reward calculus he will do and will happily breach IMO.